MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

SSL Scat-Talker update
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author SSL Scat-Talker update
dslocum
As promised, here's a quick update on the SSL Scat-Talker...

Hardware is mostly done. Firmware is getting close. All good things! Yeah!

I very recently had the distinct honour of demonstrating this video of my new Scat-Talker to the President and several top scientists at Bell Laboratories here in NJ. I have another meeting later this week with hopes of meeting Max Mathews' son Boyd, so I can show him what I am planning for the Scat-Talker. I hope to dedicate it to Max's memory.

Enjoy.

SSL Scat-Talker Demo 1

Thalassa
Good work , it sounds great we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
JohnLRice
Really great! WANT! hyper
Scot Solida
eek!
duluthdack
I want more videos...or to own the damn module!
unwar
hells yea...its scat time
robotmakers
I'm thinking a few dozen of these to replicate some Ligeti choirs.

It's Kubrickian!
Roger
sduck
Amazing!
fac
Must have! Drunken Homer Simpson Never maintain cash savings again
Dave Peck
I see the picture of this module on the S.S.L. site but there is no additional info - so is this a 1V/octave oscillator with a vocal formant wave table? And can this wavetable be swept manually & by CV, as shown by the knob twiddle a the end of the video? What about the programmed speech wave sequence at the beginning of the demo that is singing the lyrics - is that ONLY an on-board demo, or can the user program & store user-defined wave sequences in the module?
jupiter8
This is cooler than the coolest thing ever.
dslocum
Dave Peck wrote:
I see the picture of this module on the S.S.L. site but there is no additional info - so is this a 1V/octave oscillator with a vocal formant wave table? And can this wavetable be swept manually & by CV, as shown by the knob twiddle a the end of the video? What about the programmed speech wave sequence at the beginning of the demo that is singing the lyrics - is that ONLY an on-board demo, or can the user program & store user-defined wave sequences in the module?

It uses an old Votrax SC-01 speech chip from the 80's with a CPU interface and expo pitch response. No, not a VCO with a wavetable output. It has been a long time to get to this stage. Several design obstacles such as getting it to do decent 1V/oct (currently usable over about 2 octaves, which is about all all you need for speech).

Many of you will be familiar with the "War Games" movie from the 1980's which used a device with a SC-01 inside. "Shall we play a game?"

In order to get the phonemes (basic elements of speech) to produce "words", you need to connect many phonemes in correct sequence, with appropriate lengths and spacing (silence). It can be quite tedious stringing these together, and then if you want it to sing, that's a whole other animal. I took me several days to "code" the "Daisy, Daisy" demo, so if you're thinking of doing a song with the Scat-Talker, be ready for some late nights. I'm happy to help with hints and tricks for those who are daring. There is no internal provision for storing your own phoneme sequences.

I'll be supporting the Scat-Talker with several documents that will show the phonemes, timing, rules and a large dictionary of "words" that you can program into your sequencer of choice.

For a sequencer, although I haven't actually tried it yet, you should probably consider a DAW to output to a MIDI to CV converter. One CV output would control one of the 64 phonemes, another the pitch. The pitch goes from Chipmunks to gargling under CV.

The ST has a "Done" output that will tell you when the phoneme has completed it's default timing, a 1V/Oct in, an aux CV input with attenuator (think vibratos), and a Gate / Trig input.

Switches are "Phoneme / Demo" mode, and "Gate / Trig / On" mode, with a manual Gate / Trig pushbutton.
dslocum
robotmakers wrote:
I'm thinking a few dozen of these to replicate some Ligeti choirs.

It's Kubrickian!
Roger

Well, maybe Ligeti with a bad cold! hihi
Dave Peck
Very cool. I would be interested in something like this not for painstakingly stringing phonemes together to create recognizable words, but as an interesting oscillator that can provide changing timbres under CV control. By using some complex CV sources, maybe a couple of slow LFOs plus a note-triggered random generator that would cause the Scattalker to begin each new note with a different phoneme, and then slowly change the timbre a bit throughout the duration of the note, I bet you would be able to do stuff along the lines of the atmospheric vocal-y synth sound used as the main melodic part in the "Premonition of Circular Clouds" track from Robert Rich's "Bestiary" CD.....
duluthdack
Dave Peck

I'll agree, creating words wouldn't be the reason I use it. I would probably sequence this as a perc unit with changing phonemes to accent a beat.
Dob
Damnit.
Now I understand the practical use of a ponytail... 'cause pretty soon I won't even be able to get a decent haircut anymore.

Never maintain cash savings again
ualslosar
I can see my synth yelling "LAZY BUM" repeatedly when I pass by...
Bryan B
I should know better by now, but i thought this was a joke module for a while. This is no joke!

This is very cool and it would be so much fun to experiment with such a module!
Faustgeist
Oh yes, I want two of these puppies. 5u for the win!

Sign me up,
-R
trentpmcd
Cool! My first thought was HAL would be proud. Then, feeling a little stupid, I Googled Max Mathews and discovered that it was no coincidence that HAL would be proud.
dslocum
Here's what the final panel will probably look like. Comments?

Note the dedication to Max _and_ HAL (though a bit too low rez to see in this) screaming goo yo

unwar
looks good. can't wait to start experimenting.
AnalogBastard
Every so often, I see a new module that makes me go something wonderful .. This is definitely one of them thumbs up applause
spinach_pizza
This looks amazingly cool, Doug. thumbs up

I do have one comment: I noticed that a switch toggles between phoneme and demo. I can see people playing the demo once or twice and then just leaving the switch set at phoneme...which seems sort of like a waste of a switch to me. Unless I'm missing something about the utility of the demo?
robotmakers
Finally, a module to watch over me while I'm in hibernation and to monitor the AE35 unit for faults. I think I'll also patch it into the pod bay doors. What could possibly go wrong? Care for a game of chess, scat-talker?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10