MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland Scooper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Roland Scooper
taylor12k
haven't seen an in-use thread about this one yet....

i received a roland Scooper today and have fiddled around with it for a half hour... it's as i expected and pretty nice. easy to use, sounds really good and does interesting things.

i have it plugged into the wall via a wall wart as i haven't taken the time to find a power board in my case that may have a free 500mA... so i'm running it "standalone" which works well. it has rubber feet on the bottom and looks quite like a pedal. i'd prefer it in my case as my main turnoff with pedals is dealing with all of the wall warts and power supplies.

i plugged the output of a 2880 looper into it not even thinking of the line vs. modular level issue.. and because of the dedicated volume knob on the front panel i think that it can handle both and that's roland's solution to that issue.

it has a built in high and low pass filter which is super handy.. i wish all sampler modules had them.

a bit disappointed that the pitch shifting doesn't affect speed. i prefer tape-style pitch shifting so i can slow things down.. however, the upshot is that the pitch shifting sounds pretty good, it actually took me a bit to realize it wasn't stretching the time as well.

you can get pretty interesting looping patterns with various SCATTER styles.. some are a bit EDM/D-Beam/Ableton for me, but most seem pretty useful

all in all it's definitely a cool module. interested to see how it compares to the Mungo g0 which seems like its closest neighbor due to good audio quality, the lack of wet/dry control and the choppy nature of the sound.

i suppose my main complaint about the module is the power draw. pretty much kills it from ever being put in the live case, always having to run it standalone.
337is
Thank you for the detailed review.
pricklyrobot
That is a bummer about the pitch-shifting, would be nice to turn it on or off. Sometimes you want the chipmunk and/or underwater demon voices wink

Guess for people who have a big enough case, you could just mount a power strip (find one with an extra long cord) for intracase power consolidation. Obviously wouldn't cut it for slim skiffs and such.
taylor12k
after a bit more use i'm wishing it had a wet/dry control... but i've got it patched into an SBG to give me that functionality.
taylor12k
i think roland's target for "groove" users means they want to keep the loops tempo synced.. so changing speeds would mess that up.

i'll never be using it in that regard, so i wish it were different, but i assume that's why they've done it this way.

pricklyrobot wrote:
That is a bummer about the pitch-shifting, would be nice to turn it on or off. Sometimes you want the chipmunk and/or underwater demon voices wink
oneano
How is the editor? Last I saw it was a bit limited with the modules available.

I think you could add a wet/dry with the editor or maybe even change the pitch type with it.

Can you patch it to be a delay?
taylor12k
yea, good idea. might be able to make a wet/dry with the editor. but it's not very clear how it works.

I doubt you could change deep level things like pitch shifting algorithms. you just have access to some basic sorts of utility modules.

I won't have time to mess with the editor for a while, but the wet dry could cool.. tho I wonder what knob you'd have to sacrifice to add it...

oneano wrote:
How is the editor? Last I saw it was a bit limited with the modules available.

I think you could add a wet/dry with the editor or maybe even change the pitch type with it.

Can you patch it to be a delay?
cupwise
yeah itd be nice if it had the option of speed style pitch manipulation. can you use the internal software modules to put out cv/lfo type signals to modulate other modules?
Neo
taylor12k wrote:
interested to see how it compares to the Mungo g0 which seems like its closest neighbor due to good audio quality, the lack of wet/dry control and the choppy nature of the sound.

G0 has a live more and AFAIK Scooper doesn't. That's the main reason I don't think I'll get a Scooper. Would love to be wrong about that. Scooper is much easier to use. To say that getting similar results from G0 is fiddly would be a significant understatement.
mharpum
I am really impressed with Roland with this module! Even as a stand alone module without using the software it is cool. This seems to be the first of its kind in euro where you can completely change what the module does via software in real time. I hope this is a trend that continues within Euro, this has stepped up the game! Purists will disagree and say they don't want to use software within the modular, I personally prefer my modular as a standalone instrument, but being able to change and save what a module does is awesome!!
chorus7
I was expecting a little more control over the sample/loop... But I didn't get a chance to use the software so some things might be hidden in there... I found only one of the scatter effects that I could live with but I think that is subjective and depends on how you want to use the module... I agree 110% that a wet/dry knob is sorely missing... But I guess this could be done within the modular realm outside of the module... Sound quality was great and filter was good... Didn't hate the module but wasn't overtly impressed either...

Quick note the scatter effect became more interesting when used on a short chord sampled and put through the delay module...
Entrainer
How fast of a "clock" can you put into it? Can you put an audio rate square wave oscillator?
chorus7
Entrainer wrote:
How fast of a "clock" can you put into it? Can you put an audio rate square wave oscillator?

I tried it at a shop so all I had was the System 1m to feed it any modulation but yes it did go at audio rate from what I remember... I'll see if I can try it out today and report back...
sukyaneer
Great to hear that this is already in the hands of some capable creative folks. Once you can upload some audio demos that would be fantastic.

Yet to see any of these turn up for sale in the UK as far as I can see but am curious as to what the series of them can offer.
chorus7
I just downloaded the iOS editor and opened the Scooper module and you do indeed get a dual stereo mixer modular where you can split you incoming signal to go to it and the looper...then looper out into the other stereo channel and mix the two... Now I haven't tried this with the module yet but from the looks of it this would solve the wet/dry problem...
taylor12k
joe, i found that with the DEPTH down many of the patterns become usable... because you can make the chopping more subtle and turn it up occasionally for variation.

also realized, contrary to my post above, that it seems you can access all the knobs as secondary (i.e. software programmed) functions with a press of the SCATTER button

and, yes making a wet/dry mix control shouldn't be too difficult.. would also be nice to put in some subtle LFOs going on the main parameters.

chorus7 wrote:
I was expecting a little more control over the sample/loop... But I didn't get a chance to use the software so some things might be hidden in there... I found only one of the scatter effects that I could live with but I think that is subjective and depends on how you want to use the module... I agree 110% that a wet/dry knob is sorely missing... But I guess this could be done within the modular realm outside of the module... Sound quality was great and filter was good... Didn't hate the module but wasn't overtly impressed either...

Quick note the scatter effect became more interesting when used on a short chord sampled and put through the delay module...
chorus7
taylor12k wrote:
joe, i found that with the DEPTH down many of the patterns become usable... because you can make the chopping more subtle and turn it up occasionally for variation.

also realized, contrary to my post above, that it seems you can access all the knobs as secondary (i.e. software programmed) functions with a press of the SCATTER button

and, yes making a wet/dry mix control shouldn't be too difficult.. would also be nice to put in some subtle LFOs going on the main parameters.

I'll be signing it out today from the store so I'll try out more subtle modulations Taylor and see how it works I never took the time to only add a little bit of the Scatter effect so looking forward to that... Also the delay feedback at extremes with freeze into the Scooper make great washes of sound and with wet/dry added to this to play over top should give great results...
geremyf
mharpum wrote:
I am really impressed with Roland with this module! Even as a stand alone module without using the software it is cool. This seems to be the first of its kind in euro where you can completely change what the module does via software in real time. I hope this is a trend that continues within Euro, this has stepped up the game! Purists will disagree and say they don't want to use software within the modular, I personally prefer my modular as a standalone instrument, but being able to change and save what a module does is awesome!!

Snazzy FX ardcore has done this for a while...
chorus7
I spent a couple of hours in the studio and will post my recordings tomorrow but for now here are some findings…

You can indeed do a wet/dry mix with the editor using the stereo mixer module (or you could use the amp and hook up an ADSR for some dynamic mixing)…

The time stretching is really obvious when pushed but still sounds ok…

The looper will click if you use a constant sound source but isn't obvious if its a dynamic sound you have sampled/looped…

Only major downfall that is almost a break it for me is the lag between the editor and the modules its quite long so it takes getting used to… I wish it would read the knob movements realtime… I may be asking for a lot here and it might be better via USB instead of the 1/8 remote in…

Other than that its a shit ton of fun thumbs up you can trigger the sample via gate and it will start from the beginning of the sample which is great for rhythm…

Still not sold on the "scatter" effect even at low doses but it can add some movement to a static sample…

Back later with some audio...
A Terre
chorus7 wrote:
it might be better via USB instead of the 1/8 remote in

It was my understanding you could do that since it has a USB jack on the back, right? I haven't gotten to see one yet. Still waiting on a good user demo video. There's a couple on Youtube right now, but they're terrible.
jestern77
Wanted to ask you here, I'm using the phonogene as FX send from the mixer, the problem is I need to listen to the line input while recording and that creates feedback. Would I be able to o i with the Scooper?
I mean is it possible to record without listening to the input signal in the output?
Amer1231
can anyone please update me on how long a loop can be?
jestern77
what is the power consumption? I could not use the nebulae on my setup because of that.. so I'm afraid it wouldn't work for me...
ipnoteca
power comsuption is 450ma, and it can sample up to 10 second at very good quality!

too bad that there is still the feedback loop problem if you feed the in then send everything to the main out ;(
mwvm
I bought one today.

Had phonogene and clouds. Both different both great. I had an issue with the audio quality with both modules.

First impressions were the audio quality is fantastic. And the utility software are ok but don't react in real time. Wtf?

Cons. No trigger to record. Overdub is faffy. No Wet/dry option as discussed. No start/end points of samples. Seriously who needs a god damn filter? Especially when they have provided software filters.

The scatter stuff is ok i suppose. Especially with cv inputs.

I can't see me keeping this long but thank fuck there's a module that has great quality audio rather than reduced sample rate shite.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4