MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Roland System 500
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author Roland System 500
dillajay
Demo from Summer NAMM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDROmy4VnBE
cupwise
dammit. the phaser/delay is the main thing that stands out for me, but i have to admit that basically all of those modules seem pretty good in terms of amount of real estate they'd take up in a case, with each of them being dual and having a lot of controls.
anderson303
"Juicy"

I wonder how I'm going to find room for 3 of these...
qfactor
anderson303 wrote:
"Juicy"

I wonder how I'm going to find room for 3 of these...

Er...get a new case?? seriously, i just don't get it
anderson303
6 104hp rows take up all my closet studio space.

Modules will have to be cut.
simonhold
Really hope the filter will be good. I do recognise the 'Roland' sound a bit from the oscillators, which I like. If the filter is any good, this whole system will be on my watch-list. It will more be a question of personal space, funds and necessity rather than me not liking these.
Norgatron
New videos (via MATRIX).

Roland System 500 demo by Scott from Malekko at TFoM 2015 Tokyo, Japan

https://youtu.be/R7lncyxQTJc

Roland System 500 first sound from its VCO module at TFoM 2015 Tokyo, Japan

https://youtu.be/Vosy1kE8AaI
h4ndcrafted
Too bad didn't get to hear that filter sweep some low frequencies.
erstlaub
hmmm.....

Have to say, some distant audio from a noisy room didn't exactly give me the horn for these.

(not to say that they won't sound great or anything, just I always fail to see the point in pointing a camera at a synth and getting vague, crap audio out and that being posted as marketing/hype content … seriously, i just don't get it ...)
bob the r0bot
It always baffles me when I hear synth demos that don't at least have a direct signal from the synth. It's like, you're monitoring this from something, just bring a splitter and a Zoom.
chrisso
Would have been nice if they'd sequenced a melody, rather than a single note repeating.
Apparently modules are an easy sell. seriously, i just don't get it
unease
I guess we will have proper demos when they become available. They look nice but that is all that can be said sofar...
Norgatron
Yeah, very underwhelmed with the demos there.

I'm really keen to see these released now.

One thing Scott said that caught my ear was that these were the 'first' modules. I guess if these do well they are thinking of adding more to the range.

Maybe then someone will go full Zimmer with them

Norgatron
Zimmer
chrisso
I had two 100M cabinets - ten modules, and I didn't really see the need for any more, unless you are a collector/fetishist.
namshub
Yeah rubbish demos as per usual... Why don't they get someone doing something outrageous with these... Same old analog bass with filter...derp
radiokoala
/OT

anderson303
namshub

ridiculous avatars there guys.. lol
Norgatron
chrisso wrote:
I had two 100M cabinets - ten modules, and I didn't really see the need for any more, unless you are a collector/fetishist.

I was being silly, of course. (although Hans' studio is sacred ground and no laughing matter)

My point should really have been to wonder if Roland are going to stop at these modules. Having provided a Roland sound and a way to get those old sounds (accepting these are not exact copies but are faithful to the originals) in Euro is it job done?
Or, will they go for an expansive range. Clearly the Aira modules are beyond the old 100/700 range and the 1M is Euro friendly, but what about the analogue?
My guess is they'll wait and see, but if they think they can make money doing more modules and hook people into the idea of an Roland based modular with some other stuff, as opposed to just selling some modules as part of a more mixed set-up, they will keep going.
Ultimately, are they along for the ride, or they hoping to take a big slice of the pie?
chrisso
Norgatron wrote:

My point should really have been to wonder if Roland are going to stop at these modules.

I did get your point.
I imagine they are going to stick with these 500 modules for a while.
After all, with the 500 modules, plus a System 1M and the four EFX modules you would have an enormous palette of sounds.
This looks like a dip into the water of Euro hardware to me.
jido_genshi
Wasn't sure if I should post this here since I know the folks at the MuffWiggler store were shooting better video of this (I'm sure they'll upload it soon) but, this is an uncut, rough video of an invitation-only event I attended earlier today which was the world premier of the final production prototypes of the Roland System-500 modules, made by Malekko here in Portland of course.

The presentation is by the creator himself, Joshua Holly of Malekko. It's an almost 30 minute video from a bad angle and I wasn't able to get a direct audio feed, but it still sounds pretty good and has lot's of good tech info regarding these modules (they're nicer than I expected, to be honest.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCBXBItjDA
karmadelic
wow, it really sounds classic Roland, fat and juicy .... thanks for sharing

I think I need either all 5 , or none at all, does that make sense ? Looks to me like the secret of the classic Roland sound is in the combination of modules.

I wonder what the price will be : it might pull me in or push me away ...
it would be a full voice of Roland , but then there's the full voice of Moog coming out as well .... december he ? oh well , let Santa decide hihi
ndkent

It's unquestionably a take on the vintage System 100M modules if it's not obvious.

Not to be confused with the recent System 100 plugout, an earlier semi modular from Roland with a notably more acidy filter and in my mind more intense VCO having owned both as vintage)

I think of the 100M as sort of an affordable (circa 1979 until Roland blew them out as MIDI took over in the 80s) workhorse sort of system. Trivia is Clavia supposedly referenced the 100M for the Nord Modular including the LP filter. Anyway I mean by workhorse is they don't come in exotic flavors or bells and whistles but are quite solid.

To me, not in an ideal listening environment, the new Malekko 500 ones sound as expected, Thought the sliders were small but kind of fun, knobs a bit big but usable.
Nofrenchtests
Jesus the delay and phaser..I'm not one for the whole vintage resurrection scene, but that shit is off the wall crazy good.
chrisso
Used to love my 100M system. Will almost certainly buy these.
Tago Mago
Edited.
Wrong video.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 1 of 26