MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Roland System 500
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author Roland System 500
JuanSOLO
just pre-ordered all 5 from Sweetwater.
STOAKED! Been wanting to get into eurorack for a while now, I feel like these will be a good way in.
Hi5
Any info on how many stages the phaser is?
moremagic
according to what i read on roland's website, the 572 uses a five stage phaser
ignatius
theewiper wrote:
how's the throw on the sliders? same as the jp-08?

haven't seen a jp-08 let alone got hands on one so can't compare.

the sliders on these modules are fine. certainly more than adequate for the job. i don't have any issues dialing in modulation amounts or audio levels.
wired
Sliders of the modules are much bigger and better than the JP-08.
h4ndcrafted
Helllo geeks and freaks, I bring you sound of the 572 module.

Metropolis/Atlantis
Mod = Peaks in expert tap mode on 572s delay mix parameter.
Output through clouds, mostly dryjust because it is attached to my soundcard.
Don't get clouds delays confused with 572's, like you would right ?
But if you hear any reverb you know clouds is in the mix.

This is first try so... but there is some cool noises especially cocking around with the delays rez it is easy to obtain hihats etc.

Like the scratchy rez at around 12:00, also nice on bass towards the end 17:35 onwards.
7:30 welcome to your death 8:03 weird chime situation.
20:50 Drain pipe flange
[s]http://soundcloud.com/h4ndcrafted/roland-572-demo[/s]
h4ndcrafted
Also

3:18 loving the crunchy rez on this thing!
JuanSOLO
Sweetwater called me after I pre-ordered all 5 to make sure I wasn't crazy and that I meant to order 5 things they didn't have.
He said they expected them early February.
Zodanga
I was curious to compare the new Roland System-500 modules against the original 100M modules. This is not a sound comparison, just a physical/features comparison. I used the Dual VCO as an example. I'd like to share the results.

Note that I do not own these two modules -- this was done using Photoshop, a calculator, and information available on the internet.

Some thoughts:

Considering that the panel area of the EuroRack modules are half that of the originals, Roland/Malekko have done an amazing job converting these while still preserving the "style" and feature set. The only thing the new VCO module is lacking compared to the original VCO is an attenuator on one of the frequency inputs, but considering that this is the 1v/8va input, and the original KBD voltage was supplied directly via a normal, this makes perfect sense. You don't want a pot inline with your keyboard voltage, and you still have two other modulation inputs that do have attenuators.

Conversely, the original module used three-position slide-switches to select an output from the three available waveforms, whereas the new module provides all three simultaneously. (The 112 had a second output but it duplicated the first.)

The next interesting discovery was that, although the 512 is half the size of the 112, the useful range of the attenuating sliders appears to be less than 5mm shorter on the new modules compared to the originals (measured from the 0-10 markings on each, not the 'slot').

I only had the 1981 MSRP in Yen for the 112, so I had to jiggle some numbers for conversion and inflation using web converters, but it looks like the 112 was more than twice as expensive in 1981 US Dollars as the 512 is today.

Without even having these modules in hand yet, I'm already pretty impressed.

(If I've made any errors, please point them out.)
h4ndcrafted
Nice info Zodanga.

These units seem nicely built, the only issue I have found is that the jacks are so close to pots on the 572 there is no way of getting your finger in there, maybe with doepfer style jacks ?
It is a roll your finger across the top of the pot type affair , but this is not unusual in eurorack, given the amount of parameters it is totally expected.
jonne74
How many square centimeters is the 16HP euro panel? Is that one thousand? I think you're still in millimeters there.

Interesting about the fader throw.
Zodanga
I think you may be right about the units. I must have slipped a decimal place there.
ignatius
we have a system 100m in the muff shop. i can take a pic saturday of it next to euro if anyone needs it?
joem
Zodanga wrote:
I was curious to compare the new Roland System-500 modules against the original 100M modules. This is not a sound comparison, just a physical/features comparison. I used the Dual VCO as an example. I'd like to share the results.

Thanks, I know nothing of the original 100M stuff, so this was a fun comparison. Any plans to compare any of the others? (Assuming the others are as direct an update as this one...)
ignatius
joem wrote:
Zodanga wrote:

Thanks, I know nothing of the original 100M stuff, so this was a fun comparison. Any plans to compare any of the others? (Assuming the others are as direct an update as this one...)

in one of the early NAMM interviews i think i recall Josh saying that the 100m is only part of where the system 500 modules got their inspiration.
h4ndcrafted
I thought they were supposed to based on 100 and 700 no ?
wired
Another impression of the Roland System500 by Malekko:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/nicolasdwa/sys502noodle[/s]
tomhall
What is the maximum delay time?

Is it possible to get some feedback going like with the Moogerfooger Delay?

thanks
h4ndcrafted
tomhall wrote:
What is the maximum delay time?

Is it possible to get some feedback going like with the Moogerfooger Delay?

thanks

I have no idea, but you can get it feed backing and going into Lofi crunchiness , there is some in the sound cloud link I put up.
vailsy
no offense to anyone here, there are some lovely demos, but after both trying these out and listening to others i didn't hear anything compelling enough to make me buy all of these modules. maybe the matched pair filter but not all 5 units. still at least roland/malekko have given us the option rather than fusing them into one super module
wired
[s]http://soundcloud.com/nicolasdwa/sys503noodle[/s]
Zodanga
Quote:
I thought they were supposed to based on 100 and 700 no?

That was what I had heard/read as well. Though that probably refers more to the schematics -- the feature sets and layouts of the new modules definitely mimic the System-100M modules much more closely than they do the System-700 modules.

The module that is the most similar between the three systems appears to be the Dual Envelope Generators. Below is a scale size comparison between the three systems. In this case, the System-700 module is closer in size and aspect to the new EuroRack module, but only because the 705A was a shorter utility module (140mm/5.5" high). The primary modules were 11" high in the '700! Even so, you can see that with the inclusion of the LFO, the 540 is modeled more on the 140 overall. (The numbering conventions of the new modules directly aligns with the System-100M as well).

The 540 does seem to borrow the 'range' switch from the 705A, though (presumably "F/S" is "Fast/Slow"). And it adds the Cycle switch which neither of its predecessors had.

wired
Quote:
That was what I had heard/read as well. Though that probably refers more to the schematics -- the feature sets and layouts of the new modules definitely mimic the System-100M modules much more closely than they do the System-700 modules.

The module that is the most similar between the three systems appears to be the Dual Envelope Generators. Below is a scale size comparison between the three systems. In this case, the System-700 module is closer in size and aspect to the new EuroRack module, but only because the 705A was a shorter utility module (140mm/5.5" high). The primary modules were 11" high in the '700! Even so, you can see that with the inclusion of the LFO, the 540 is modeled more on the 140 overall. (The numbering conventions of the new modules directly aligns with the System-100M as well).

The 540 does seem to borrow the 'range' switch from the 705A, though (presumably "F/S" is "Fast/Slow"). And it adds the Cycle switch which neither of its predecessors had.

I really like those comparisons Guinness ftw!
Zodanga
Just for fun, here's a "speculation" of what an output mixer conversion could look like...

Zodanga
@Ignatius, you said there's a System-100M in the Muff shop... do you know if the front panels are metal or plastic? They have an embossed or molded look to them, and I've always wondered.

Here's a VCA comparison between the three systems:

Feature-wise, they're pretty similar, but the huge 704's actually had a little less flexibility, with fewer audio input options and one less modulation input. The 530 adds the "Sum" output as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 10 of 26