MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland System 500
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Author Roland System 500
geecen
chrisso wrote:
Used to love my 100M system. Will almost certainly buy these.

Yea I was wondering how they would compare to the FC modules. As Far as I've read, the FC ones are pretty faithful recreations of the system 100 originals. The only think they don't have from is that delay/phaser.
jonne74
Tago Mago wrote:
A good demo here (Berkeley University Of Music!)

This thread is about the analog System 500 modules. That demo is about the digital System-1m.
chrisso
geecen wrote:

Yea I was wondering how they would compare to the FC modules. As Far as I've read, the FC ones are pretty faithful recreations of the system 100 originals. The only think they don't have from is that delay/phaser.

System 100 and 100M have a different sound.
I don't really know the 100, but the 500 Malekko made modules sound quite similar to 100M (from the videos).
LoveBot
Thanks for the vid!

The effects module has my interest as of now. Josh mentions using the MN3007 for the delay b/c 3004 is too rare. Any idea what the longest delay time is?

Hope to hear more demos of it soon.
mackster
Thanks for sharing - any idea of prices and general release dates? Initially Roland were saying Q3, but I wonder if that's slipped now?
radiokoala
Between these and new moog I think I'm more like "go moog!", but if a person has money and wants to have some roland and moog in their setup, I think both are brilliant offerings.

Plus I imagine a nice combo: mother32 + phaser/delay/lfo, considering it has built-in sequencer (and with two LFOs now), that's going to be quite a powerhouse of a synth in 3U/84HP.

Last, I think system 500 modules are great value on their own: $299 for 2 filters + 2 mixers! where else could you get that? Then, that money also gets you 2 ADSR (that also cycle!) + LFO – the same thing, great deal.... very interesting all in all. w00t
ndkent
chrisso wrote:
geecen wrote:

System 100 and 100M have a different sound.
I don't really know the 100, but the 500 Malekko made modules sound quite similar to 100M (from the videos).

Frequency Central does only 100M designs as far as I know as does Curetronic's DIY line and several euro companies have done a 100M style dual ADSR fwiw.
CF3
These look interesting. I still regret selling my 100m system 15 years ago waah These could possibly scratch that itch for me. Curious to see the build quality. Hopefully they're nice and solid and not all wobbly plastic shaft construction. They sure as hell look the business. we're not worthy
StringEmil
Of course nobody has these modules yet, but any thoughts on how the envelope will compare to the Intellijel Dual ADSR?
Love sliders to 'see' the curves, and afaik those are the only ones (correct me if I'm wrong).
exper
StringEmil wrote:
Of course nobody has these modules yet, but any thoughts on how the envelope will compare to the Intellijel Dual ADSR?
Love sliders to 'see' the curves, and afaik those are the only ones (correct me if I'm wrong).

There's Also the a synth dual Adsr:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/amsynths-am8140-dual-adsr-

As far as comparison, the malekko one has an lfo attached, but doesn't have variable stage speed and eod trigger outs, retrigger input or built in vcas for CV output levels. Both have handy regular and inverted outputs. I also think the sliders on the Roland look really short. Sliders are better when you can get more 'resolution' out of them by way of their length. It might be harder to dial in the precise stage times you need to with shorter sliders.
StringEmil
exper wrote:
StringEmil wrote:

As far as comparison, the malekko one has an lfo attached, but doesn't have variable stage speed and eod trigger outs, retrigger input or built in vcas for CV output levels. Both have handy regular and inverted outputs. I also think the sliders on the Roland look really short. Sliders are better when you can get more 'resolution' out of them by way of their length. It might be harder to dial in the precise stage times you need to with shorter sliders.

Ahh... I get your point. Thanks! thumbs up
ignatius
mackster wrote:
Thanks for sharing - any idea of prices and general release dates? Initially Roland were saying Q3, but I wonder if that's slipped now?

according to the Roland Rep they're pushing for december but might be january

they just started building them at Darkplace. they sound fantastic. classic roland sound. i think a lot of people will make their way into euro with these modules and then go from there... i think these will be successful and people already way deep into eurorack are going work some of these in their system. they're all really great and have so many ins/outs. very flexible.

we recorded everything yesterday and will get some videos and audio demos up soon. there's an hour's worth of material to piece together. thanks for your patience. smile
quadrupole
I'm still excited about these modules, even though my thoughts tend to flow toward the false dichotomy of these vs the mother 32. I like that the system 500 has discrete modules and each one seems packed with functionality...plus I've owned vintage moog, but never vintage roland for some reason.

If the filters and envelopes live up to vintage roland standards it will be hard to resist SlayerBadger!
Helmey
It's nice to see Roland modules designed by real modular designers. I think the dual design is great and they've added some nice extra features and modulation inputs to each module.

From what I could tell, the VCO and VCF modules sound excellent and if I didn't already have a Eurorack system, I'd be proud to start with these. I imagine they will be on the more pricey side, but not overpriced [I hope].

I'm sure I'll wind up making room for a couple of these modules in my rig and save myself the cost and angst of buying a vintage System 100.

Kudos to Roland. They've been really busy lately and seen to be battling it out with Korg to be the most innovative of the big three.
darcmorcel
Helmey wrote:
I imagine they will be on the more pricey side, but not overpriced [I hope].

Didn't they talk about something around 350$ when the modules were announced for the first time ?
Also, in a video from the summer namm, a Roland rep said it would be set at a very good price ...
Helmey
darcmorcel wrote:
Helmey wrote:
I imagine they will be on the more pricey side, but not overpriced [I hope].

Didn't they talk about something around 350$ when the modules were announced for the first time ?
Also, in a video from the summer namm, a Roland rep said it would be set at a very good price ...

I never saw any pricing information. If they're $350, that would be a very fair price. thumbs up
A Terre
Damn.
computer controlled
So angry i couldn't make this =o[
SmartBits
exper wrote:

AMSynths also built the AM8075 Dual ADSR:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/amsynths-am8705-dual-adsr

That one has bigger sliders and even the same caps as a Juno 60! They're both almost impossible to get your hands on though, I was very lucky getting mine. They do have less features than the Intellijel, which I quite like as well. But I think the new Roland/Malekko ones are tempting too, lots of control!
Warpsmasher
So will they run only off standard doepfer style power, or have their own adapters? I kind of want them to start a revolution. I also can't wait to see how Moog spins the whole power issue.
ignatius
the roland series 500 modules are standard eurorack format and run on standard eurorack power.

you can see in the video they're running on a 4ms row power 30
h4ndcrafted
I'm literally poised to buy all of these if they are the price that is being thrown around.
Warpsmasher
It just seems odd for them to release anything without it's own power source, for so many reasons. This would be a first, no battery option and no power adapter. Maybe there will be some kind of adapter as a second option, like the Airas? It could start something big, especially if Moog joins in.
Barlov
What?
ignatius
Warpsmasher wrote:
It just seems odd for them to release anything without it's own power source, for so many reasons. This would be a first, no battery option and no power adapter. Maybe there will be some kind of adapter as a second option, like the Airas? It could start something big, especially if Moog joins in.

what are you talking about? the modules are eurorack format modules and run on eurorack power.. as said.. in the video you can see they are running on a 4ms row power 30 thumbs up they're eurorack modules.. why would they add battery power when they're trying to make something for an existing format.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Page 2 of 27