MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland System 500
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Author Roland System 500
TifaretMusic
Personally I'm just surprised they haven't announced a powered case yet. Are they expecting Guitar Center etc to start carrying cases from other manufacturers for displaying/demoing these or are they only planning on distributing them at places that already sell euro?
Barlov
I doubt that these will be stocked at the major stores. This is a malekko/roland collab.
exper
Even the hybrid effects modules are online only. I was hoping to pop into a Banjo Center and try out the Demora...
Barlov
exper wrote:
Even the hybrid effects modules are online only. I was hoping to pop into a Banjo Center and try out the Demora...

You need to head into a Lute Centre.
moog man
exper wrote:

The day we see Eurorack/modular in guitar center will really be something. Pretty cool that sweetwater stocks some modular stuff, that's probably the highest profile mass market store you could point to with modular. but yes, online nonethless
exper
moog man wrote:
exper wrote:

The day we see Eurorack/modular in guitar center will really be something. Pretty cool that sweetwater stocks some modular stuff, that's probably the highest profile mass market store you could point to with modular. but yes, online nonethless

Elsewhere on MW, someone posted that the pgh guitar pedal cases popped in in their GC.

When I dropped by my local one a few weeks ago to get a beat step pro, the sales guy recognized my make noise shirt right away, and that's as in a suburban NJ location.
jido_genshi
TifaretMusic wrote:
Personally I'm just surprised they haven't announced a powered case yet. Are they expecting Guitar Center etc to start carrying cases from other manufacturers for displaying/demoing these or are they only planning on distributing them at places that already sell euro?

Though ignatius may have better info on this than I, I did speak with the Roland rep afterwards and he did mention that they were going to make a powered case/rack and "probably" sell all modules with the case as a complete system option for "like about $1999 or something close to that".

As for prices of the individual modules, he told me that they haven't completely nailed down the prices yet, but probably $299 to $349 (he made it sound like it would be no more than $349 and that was for one of the modules and the others would be $299, but I may have read too much into it, so take it with a grain of salt.)

I was hoping the MuffWigglers would have posted their video by now for a better close-up look at what Joshua was doing on the modules, but searching Youtube for recent System-500 videos only comes up with my video thus far... seriously, i just don't get it
Warpsmasher
ignatius wrote:
why would they add battery power when they're trying to make something for an existing format.
I meant it would be the first product they released that didn't have either battery or wallwart as a power option...which is very unusual for a company whose products are otherwise so accessible to the average layman.
The implied understanding of eurorack is a big step away from that. It's a pretty significant acknowledgement of the industry, and if anyone can take it mainstream and into guitar center, it is the big three. I don't think that's a goal for any of them yet, but if the trend grows, there are likely to be some dramatic moves working towards cheaper power for everyone.
jido_genshi
Warpsmasher wrote:
ignatius wrote:
why would they add battery power when they're trying to make something for an existing format.
I meant it would be the first product they released that didn't have either battery or wallwart as a power option...which is very unusual for a company whose products are otherwise so accessible to the average layman.
The implied understanding of eurorack is a big step away from that. It's a pretty significant acknowledgement of the industry, and if anyone can take it mainstream and into guitar center, it is the big three. I don't think that's a goal for any of them yet, but if the trend grows, there are likely to be some dramatic moves working towards cheaper power for everyone.

That is my hope as well, that eurorack becomes more widespread. With traditional synth manufacturers like Dave Smith, Waldorf, Roland and now even Moog with their Mother-32, I wonder what more it would take to see a eurorack corner in Guitar Center? I guess they're waiting, like you said, for Korg and Yamaha to jump into the game...
flo
Helmey wrote:
Kudos to Roland. They've been really busy lately and seen to be battling it out with Korg to be the most innovative of the big three.

And what an amazing battle of innovation it is, right? SlayerBadger! With all three coming out with totally new products having no connection whatsoever to what they've done before and all that hihi
chrisso
flo wrote:
Helmey wrote:
Kudos to Roland. They've been really busy lately and seen to be battling it out with Korg to be the most innovative of the big three.

And what an amazing battle of innovation it is, right? SlayerBadger! With all three coming out with totally new products having no connection whatsoever to what they've done before and all that hihi

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Lot's of Roland fans have been pestering them for years to reproduce the 100, 100M and 700 Series - not to mention the 808, 909 and TB303.
MATSmile
chrisso wrote:
flo wrote:
Helmey wrote:

Lot's of Roland fans have been pestering them for years to reproduce the 100, 100M and 700 Series - not to mention the 808, 909 and TB303.

Except nothing of that so called reproduction sounded even half as good as original did.
jido_genshi
MATSmile wrote:
chrisso wrote:
flo wrote:
Helmey wrote:

Except nothing of that so called reproduction sounded even half as good as original did.

Really? You've spent quality time with the System-500 have you? Because I actually have...
chrisso
Yeah, the critics are really clutching at straws with that one.
Critiquing the sound of something barely anyone has heard in person yet. Good going.
Dogma
Josh was given the keys to the castle, the 12 secret herbs and spices, the full wraparound by Roland - all the original schematics and the dudes that designed em - theres no unobtanum parts that would make them any less "authentic" - i dont get why theres any negativity at all.....i bet theyre gonna end up in a LOT of racks and it aint because of the "name" either....
chrisso
My personal experience of Roland is that they pride themselves on their customer service.
I received three brand new 'boutique' Euro modules last week, two of them were faulty and can't be used.
The rack/psu is a bit of a minefield also. After using other products, I've ended up back with Doepfer (psu). If Roland had a rack and power system I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
flo
I'm not criticizing the big three, they just do what they need to do: generate cash.

I do find it rather funny to call this race "innovative" though thumbs up
chrisso
flo wrote:
I'm not criticizing the big three, they just do what they need to do: generate cash.

Well Intellijel, Make Noise, Mutable Instruments all 'generate cash'. they have to in order to keep afloat.

Quote:

Has anyone? I haven't. But isn't it pretty innovative to produce a hardware modular system where you can build your own modules in software, then use the hardware modules to control them (EFX series)?
flo
chrisso wrote:
flo wrote:

Well Intellijel, Make Noise, Mutable Instruments all 'generate cash'. they have to in order to keep afloat.

Yes, so? seriously, i just don't get it

chrisso wrote:
Quote:

Has anyone? I haven't. But isn't it pretty innovative to produce a hardware modular system where you can build your own modules in software, then use the hardware modules to control them (EFX series)?

You might want to read my post again (emphasis added by me):

flo wrote:
Helmey wrote:

chrisso
Yeah, I just think you are working hard to put a negative spin on the effort.
The EFX modules, although not my bag, are reasonably innovative.
karmadelic
What's up with all that Roland bashing ?

My first synth was a Juno60, then I got a 303 and 606 combo, later an 808 and a 909, etc ... all great stuff (and damn me I sold it all apart from the Juno)

The age of D-beam equipped workstations never got me exited, but the whole AIRA and especially system500 line is a great move back to basics imho : back to tweaking, hands-on control and having fun, which is essentially what Eurorack is about.
flo
I'm not bashing Roland or trying to be negative guys. I guess I'm a huge Roland fanboy. I have the entire X0X range. Several of the polys. And so on. Just found it funny that someone would call the current frenzy "innovative". FX modules or not.
bkbirge
I'm looking forward to these, not only because of the sound and look but I'm super stoked at having attenuators on each of the multiple inputs. Honestly, that little bit of often overlooked genius takes this to a whole 'nother level for me. Same reason I like MA's panel for the triple wave folder, those attenuators on the input. What would make it even sexier would be if they were all attenuverters but I suppose folks would start to complain about the short travel on the sliders then. Very tempted to build a complete two voice 6u system just on these and maybe an MA MVP and NLC super sloth to round it out.
bobbcorr
chrisso wrote:
The rack/psu is a bit of a minefield also. After using other products, I've ended up back with Doepfer (psu). If Roland had a rack and power system I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

This is one area where a big manufacturer could really grow the market. There will always be a space for DIY, but to borrow from Crossing the Chasm, it's by definition an enthusiasts/early adopter user approach to solving the problem. As a "post-chasm" manufacturer with the operating experience to address the mass market, they've got a neat opportunity.

_seph
flo wrote:
I'm not bashing Roland or trying to be negative guys. I guess I'm a huge Roland fanboy. I have the entire X0X range. Several of the polys. And so on. Just found it funny that someone would call the current frenzy "innovative". FX modules or not.

reading through the thread I didn't get the impression that you were. I also wouldn't necessarily call any of this "innovative", it's just Roland and to me that name almost inherently implies some level of forward thinking.

I'm on the fence with these... I've got a very "been there done that" attitude with analog in general, especially of the vintage sort. but. the 100m is something kind of special... but conversely I love my Aira gear and think the FX modules are very clever.

that aside, Roland has succeeded... back in '00 I was ready to buy a Wiard system and then decided to go with Kyma and a Nord Modular instead. the Nord I still have today but Kyma and I did not have a positive relationship... anyway, having a history of being a collector I've actively avoided Eurorack these past years but Harvestman put it back on my radar and it's just been a parade of temptation since... this last year with the IDoW doc hasn't helped and now all of this... ...I love my System-1 and with the System-100 Plug-Out finally available I'm really close to adding a 1M and it is now a certainty that at some point in the next several months I will have finally succumb to a Euro system help

but it's still really up in the air for me whether the System-500 will have a place. Harvestman, Make Noise, Mutable Instruments. definitely. Roland's Aira modules, sure. classic VCO synth stuff... I don't know, but even though I'm more interested in modular sampling/sound processing than traditional synthesis it's hard to not imagine that photo of Chris Carter with his System-100m and though I generally dismiss people's nostalgia and hero worship, fucking Throbbing Gristle we're not worthy

so in short, I'm going to keep a close eye on these and glean what I can from all of you. I imagine that NAMM 2016 will be extra interesting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Page 3 of 27