MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Roland System 500
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author Roland System 500
Norgatron
Val wrote:
I do not see these modules often in racks, why?
is that because of the poor distributor supplying? I've read that there were stocks problems

These are good for the price. The 530 dual vca with three audio inputs and three mod inputs ? Impressive. Sure it's not dc coupled but still.

Word on the street is that they massively underestimated demand. That was my experience for sure I suspect they have messed up a bit by launching without enough stock and then people just moved on. If the stock is there now they need a relaunch or something.

Who knows though. They are out there and there's plenty of love from people who've got them (delay moans accepted).

Maybe these are the real boutique items. Short runs, low stock.
Sleipnir
Got a 530 yesterday. applause
Because some asked (and I was also curious), the op amps are 4558s.
So definitely leaning more vintage than clean.
Haven't had a chance to play with it much, but love the mixers. Ability to do some epic AM there. nanners
Aiyn Zahev
Just got mine today. I'm blown away. I'm not new to synths but these are my first Euro modules.

The build on these is better than I expected from some of the comments I've read. As I said I've had no experience with Euro before but these do feel really nicely made. Cold, heavy metal. Knobs feel really solid, even the little switches which I thought looked flimsy in pictures. The faders are wobbly from side-to-side but in use it's not even noticeable to me.

I could tell with those faders these were not going to be super precise but that are not at all as fiddly as I imagined. I thought I'd dislike the small form factor but once I got them up and running and I heard the sound I didn't think about it, I just had immense fun and lost track of everything else.

As for sound, I've never heard anything this good in my studio before. Never. It's blown my mind that I've been into synths this long and never heard anything on this level in person. It's rich and smooth, and the bass, holy god. I love the Roland sound and this filter is perfect. You can back off the input and get a clean sound, but you can also push the input and it starts to distort in an awesome way.

The LFO is much slower than I expected but I notice it did extend higher when modulated. I just need a DC offset to properly test it out.

I'm really keen on getting the Sea Devils as well soon and I'm already considering getting a very clean modern VCA as I'm curious to hear what it would sound like.

All that said, I am concerned that when I get modules with bigger more spacious controls I might prefer them and start to find the System 500 cramped. That would be a shame, right now it's hard to imagine them falling out of favour. I'm extremely pleased.

ryjo
I love my system 500. My only good question is.... will Roland add anything else to it ??? A sequencer or maybe another delay / analogue effect. I'm thinking of a metropolis as it's based on an old roland sequencer. Anyone out there in the know ? Dead Banana

Ryjo
moremagic
ryjo wrote:
I love my system 500. My only good question is.... will Roland add anything else to it ??? A sequencer or maybe another delay / analogue effect. I'm thinking of a metropolis as it's based on an old roland sequencer. Anyone out there in the know ? Dead Banana

Ryjo
the metropolis is actually based on a diy module some dude made when he got tired of the system 100m sequencer, so that particular one is liable to remain a pipe dream
roland have always been really east coast, and theyve been all about reissues, so maybe theyll put out a 101 osc or a 303 filter or an 808 bd module. then again, if you get enough duplicates of the modules already out you should be o k to cover most of the types of sounds of roland analog synthesis, even if the exact timbre is different.

not that im in the know Miley Cyrus but malekko have dropped a few r&d intensive modules of their own lately so it might be a little while before they put together a new roland one
Aiyn Zahev
Some sounds! As the pic shows just 4 Roland Modules. Sequenced by Beatstep and delay added later in DAW.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/296108756" params="color=ff5500&inverse=false&auto_play=false&show_user=true" width="100%" height="20" iframe="true" /]
MindMachine
edit for duplicatious
MindMachine
Nice tune BTW.
Aiyn Zahev
MindMachine wrote:
Nice tune BTW.

Thanks, and thanks for your help too!

Really didn't know if I'd be happy with the small and dense layout but I'm really glad I started with these modules, they are pretty feature rich while being quite simple at the same time. I love how much I can do with just these 4 so far. Although I just took delivery of an Expert Sleepers ES3 today! screaming goo yo
Fiddlestickz
ryjo wrote:

Ryjo

I've been wondering for a while now if Roland will branch out and do some crazier stuff instead keeping safe with this older type modular, now that the 500 is out perhaps they can bring the Aria Modules into euro proper in some way shape or form..?
ericxnelson
This was the synth that got me into modular and so far I'm really happy with it as well as the rest of the things I've been finding since putting this together.

I'm curious what have been some of the most complimentary modules in your guys' setups with the 500?

While I was waiting for modules to arrive I ended up piecing together a minimod system as well, and found them to be very different in terms of modulation sources, sound, and general design.
Tom_1970
System-500 was also my first Eurorack stuff, but before I got into Eurorack I bought a Doepfer Dark Energy and Dark Time.
The experiences I got with these and the movie 'I dream of wires' dragged me into Eurorack.
When the System-500 was announced I decided that would be a great starting point for a modular system.

Besides the System-500 I also have a System-1m, Demora and a KB37 which I am filling with the Waldorf modules.
Today I can collect the CMP1 to fit besides the NW1 and DVCA1.
I am still awaiting the MOD1 module, but the system as it is now, together with the Dark Time+Energy is already great fun. Also the TB-03 is a welcome addition when it comes to sequencing.

In the coming year I plan to buy a Mantis case and fill it over time with modules. On the moment I think the Mutable modules are very interesting.
benski
ericxnelson wrote:

I'm curious what have been some of the most complimentary modules in your guys' setups with the 500?

The System 500 was my intro into modular. I've started to expand.
The next modules you'd want would probably be mostly utility
1) MIDI->CV, a CV sequencer, or CV-capable controller.
2) A multiple. The two envelope gate inputs are not normaled together.
3) Sample and Hold
4) Noise
Richjk7
benski wrote:
ericxnelson wrote:

The System 500 was my intro into modular. I've started to expand.
The next modules you'd want would probably be mostly utility
1) MIDI->CV, a CV sequencer, or CV-capable controller.
2) A multiple. The two envelope gate inputs are not normaled together.
3) Sample and Hold
4) Noise

I added the malekko noise and buff mult to the roland case. It technically shouldnt fit because it adds up to 85 hp but it does in mine.
Sleipnir
ericxnelson wrote:

Just an FYI for people integrating 500 modules (the 530 VCA in particular) with others:
The 530 VCA requires 10v to fully open in linear mode (not mentioned anywhere but the downloadable spec sheet). Most euro envelope/function generators put out 5-7v. That's enough to open in exp mode, but then of course you get different curves. waah
The only eg's I've confirmed put out 10v are Maths (but not Function), the Pittsburgh ADSR, and Circuit Abbey ADSR jr (with the rear jumper set to 10v). I now have my 530 perma patched to a pair of ADSR jr's.

You would run into the opposite issue using a Roland EG with most other VCAs (e.g., the Intellijel uVCA fully opens at 5v, so will massively distort by 10v).

Obviously not a problem if you keep it in the family, just hoping to alleviate any surprises.
benski
Sleipnir wrote:
The 530 VCA requires 10v to fully open in linear mode (not mentioned anywhere but the downloadable spec sheet).

This is really helpful, thanks!
BlackDoors
[quote="Sleipnir"]
ericxnelson wrote:

The 530 VCA requires 10v to fully open in linear mode (not mentioned anywhere but the downloadable spec sheet).

Obviously not a problem if you keep it in the family, just hoping to alleviate any surprises.

Thanks for the heads-up here, I was considering moving into system 500 starting with the VCF and VCA (really like the range of inputs on the VCA!) but I might wait till I can have the EG too (and enough space....). I'll check out intellijel dual VCA output voltage when I get a chance (I have that as well as a maths).
Sleipnir
BlackDoors wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up here, I was considering moving into system 500 starting with the VCF and VCA (really like the range of inputs on the VCA!) but I might wait till I can have the EG too (and enough space....). I'll check out intellijel dual VCA output voltage when I get a chance (I have that as well as a maths).

The IJ Dual Envelope puts out ~7.5v cry
(Assumed that's what you meant)
BlackDoors
Sleipnir wrote:
BlackDoors wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:

The IJ Dual Envelope puts out ~7.5v cry
(Assumed that's what you meant)

Yes, exactly (not in front of system right now, so I was going to check later). Very perceptive of you to guess the IJ dual EG from my garbled mix-description! Thanks for saving me the bother, good to know the Roland VCO 's fully usable with maths anyway.

John
Aiyn Zahev
Sorry everyone, at first I was quite happy to finally be able to share some video of the System 500, then I realize I pretty much posted this audio in the soundcloud above, but still it's probably nicer to see what's going on. I can't wait though to do some more proper videos of this thing as I have some more supporting modules now too.

duncanperson
I'm still really liking my 512 and 521, initially i was drawn to the vco because it seemed like a great basic setup, plus i think the malekko stuff is great, so it was an easy choice. The tracking is perfect, and square waves especially sounds good.

The 521 is very nice, i don't really need two yet but have occasionally used both at once. A few things, with the 512 as the input source to the filter mixer, if there are 2 or more sources you get distortion at about 60% on the faders, so for clean signals you can only mix with the lower half of the faders. the clean signal on the filter is great, pretty squelchy, but there is noticeable bass loss when the resonance is turned up a lot on low notes.

Overall as a pair they sound really great, I am very tempted for a second 512. Compared to an SH-101, the system 500 is a slightly darker and growly, it doesnt quite get as bright as the 101, but i think thats fair since they were aiming for system 100m territory. Proper attenuators on every input is a feature i really like.
Aiyn Zahev
Aiyn Zahev
I did a little overview and demo of the 540 module
Eichburger
[quote="BlackDoors"]
Sleipnir wrote:
ericxnelson wrote:

I was wondering why I was getting such low output but I'm still a bit confused. My 540 envelope is only putting out 7.2v with the sustain at max. With the 530 VCA on Exp mode the output level is very low. The output actually goes higher if I switch to linear mode??

Is all of that consistent for other users?
risome
Added the VCO VCF and ADSR/LFO modules to my case
couldn't be happier to have the genuine Roland sound to draw on.
Lovely Miley Cyrus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 25 of 26