MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland System 500
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Author Roland System 500
Biff
[quote="Eichburger"]
BlackDoors wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:
ericxnelson wrote:

The 530 VCA requires 10v to fully open in linear mode (not mentioned anywhere but the downloadable spec sheet).

Obviously not a problem if you keep it in the family, just hoping to alleviate any surprises.


Thanks for the heads-up here, I was considering moving into system 500 starting with the VCF and VCA (really like the range of inputs on the VCA!) but I might wait till I can have the EG too (and enough space....). I'll check out intellijel dual VCA output voltage when I get a chance (I have that as well as a maths).


I was wondering why I was getting such low output but I'm still a bit confused. My 540 envelope is only putting out 7.2v with the sustain at max. With the 530 VCA on Exp mode the output level is very low. The output actually goes higher if I switch to linear mode??

Is all of that consistent for other users?


I think it's normal. They recommend setting the output to 1 rather than 0 in exp mode, rather odd, but still inaudible even though you're letting sound through.

Also the Doepfer amp module (A-183-3) is great for these modules to boost signals for using other things or attenuate. I have my system 500 next to an MS-20m, which was great because it gave me time on getting the 540 and not being w/o envelopes and lfos.
Eichburger
[quote="Biff"]
Eichburger wrote:
BlackDoors wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:
ericxnelson wrote:

The 530 VCA requires 10v to fully open in linear mode (not mentioned anywhere but the downloadable spec sheet).

Obviously not a problem if you keep it in the family, just hoping to alleviate any surprises.


Thanks for the heads-up here, I was considering moving into system 500 starting with the VCF and VCA (really like the range of inputs on the VCA!) but I might wait till I can have the EG too (and enough space....). I'll check out intellijel dual VCA output voltage when I get a chance (I have that as well as a maths).


I was wondering why I was getting such low output but I'm still a bit confused. My 540 envelope is only putting out 7.2v with the sustain at max. With the 530 VCA on Exp mode the output level is very low. The output actually goes higher if I switch to linear mode??

Is all of that consistent for other users?


I think it's normal. They recommend setting the output to 1 rather than 0 in exp mode, rather odd, but still inaudible even though you're letting sound through.

Also the Doepfer amp module (A-183-3) is great for these modules to boost signals for using other things or attenuate. I have my system 500 next to an MS-20m, which was great because it gave me time on getting the 540 and not being w/o envelopes and lfos.


Thanks Biff. It's reassuring to know mine are working normally. Certainly not a problem to deal with. I have been multing the envelope across two VCA control inputs if I want a higher amplitude.
rsaintjohn
Aiyn Zahev wrote:
I did a little overview and demo of the 540 module


A thumbs-up on the video on YouTube isn't enough, I really want to thank you for taking the time to do this!
Aiyn Zahev
rsaintjohn wrote:
Aiyn Zahev wrote:
I did a little overview and demo of the 540 module


A thumbs-up on the video on YouTube isn't enough, I really want to thank you for taking the time to do this!


Thank you, I really appreciate that. I'm going to get to the filters next probably, I'm just waiting on a couple of supporting modules, a Metropolis being one of them!
Aiyn Zahev
I just put up a video of the 521 VCF with lots of demo audio

TemplarK
May I ask any Roland 530 owners how exactly the sum outputs work,

My question really is are the sums modulated by both sets of CVs?

Would i only need to send one envelope to control all 6 inputs if I use the SUM?

How exactly does this part work thanks?>
jicamasalad
TemplarK wrote:
May I ask any Roland 530 owners how exactly the sum outputs work,

My question really is are the sums modulated by both sets of CVs?

Would i only need to send one envelope to control all 6 inputs if I use the SUM?

How exactly does this part work thanks?>


hi there:

think of it as two identical VCAs, each with three modulation sources
so you can mix signals from what we might call inputs a1, a2 and a3 with signals from b1, b2 and b3 and get all at the sum output, but modulation to the "a" VCA will only affect signals on the "a" inputs - "b" signals would be unmodulated (only "mixed" via the input faders) at the sum output

modulation sources ARE mixed within each VCA, and this produces great results, as i'm sure you're aware

you would need to send the same modulation signal(s) to modulation inputs on both the "a" and "b" sides to get the result you describe

hope this helps!

- ks
WaveRider
Aiyn Zahev wrote:
I just put up a video of the 521 VCF with lots of demo audio



great demo, it really sounds like vintage Roland overall a very good filter, tough to pass up! the kit must be very nice too. I bought most of my modular a few years ago but if I would be starting now I would start with this Roland kit.... tasty
bgcriswell
This is a little something I threw together with my system500 this morning.

http://www.instagram.com/p/BUknEHDBvHU
Ciderfeks
Hello MW'ers. My first post here on MW but I've been following this thread for some time and now I've finally taken the plunge and got myself an S500 complete set. It's my first modular system and first step down the Eurorack rabbit hole too.

So having spent a week or so with it my first impressions are that I really like the System 500 - it sounds fantastic and over all I'm very happy with it. I hope it will make an excellent centre piece for whatever modules I inevitably end up adding!

There are a couple of minor niggles - some of which seem like odd design decisions rather than issues with the modules (the nasty micro power switch on the back of the case which is all but unreachable in most set-up situations and that undersized blanking plate just looks odd to me) and other things that have been well documented here like the VCO range knob blipping as you move through the octaves, but no big deal. As one other poster here mentioned before me I also find that when the envelopes are in cycle mode, moving to higher attack and/or decay settings can cause the cycle to stop, requiring a manual re-trigger but I never found out if this is expected behaviour or not. Any further thoughts on this? One thing I haven't heard anyone else mention is that the VCO's go out of tune with each other if they are set more than two range intervals apart - anyone else get this? Not that it doesn't sound great anyway with a bit of detuning and its easily remedied with the fine tune controls of course.

Finally another quick question for you guys before this post turns into an epic - does anyone know what is the safe upper limits are for CV and Ext gate input voltages? I've successfully used a Devilfish TB-303 and an old Kenton Pro-2 for external control but recently read somewhere that higher CV/gate voltages could cause problems - is that true? The Kenton outputs the highest gate at +15v for on, with the TB putting out +12v. The TB also has available an accent output voltage of +6v which would be nice to use to modulate the S500 filter, but is this too hot for a standard CV?

Cheers guys.
pre55ure
Ciderfeks wrote:


Finally another quick question for you guys before this post turns into an epic - does anyone know what is the safe upper limits are for CV and Ext gate input voltages? I've successfully used a Devilfish TB-303 and an old Kenton Pro-2 for external control but recently read somewhere that higher CV/gate voltages could cause problems - is that true? The Kenton outputs the highest gate at +15v for on, with the TB putting out +12v. The TB also has available an accent output voltage of +6v which would be nice to use to modulate the S500 filter, but is this too hot for a standard CV?

Cheers guys.


Hello and welcome.
I can't answer any of your specific 500 series questions as I don't own any of them yet. However - regarding CV -
You should be safe using CV up to the internal power rails - so in eurorack this would be +12v. Using over this could cause problems but it's dependent on the individual module and a bunch of other things. If you are using the Kenton for pitch CV and it can put out a maximum of 15v - you will probably be fine because it's unlikely you would ever use that voltage. At 1v/oct, 15v is bat territory. +6v should be fine for anything.
Ciderfeks
Hey pre55ure thanks for they reply - that's good to know. smile
Kaput
Norgatron wrote:
I got a Disting as part of a clutch of extra modules to fill in the extra 24HP in my 104 Skiff. If I had to pick one though, it would be this one. It's a Swiss army knife of a module and has so many uses it's hard to find a reason to have any other fill the extra 4HP in an 84HP case. If you have to pick one...


Just wanted to chime in and say 'big thanks' to Norgatron for the suggestion of the Disting. I'm a little out of touch with what's happening in Euro, but have literally just got my System 500 and was thinking I need a noise source, an S&H, maybe an extra LFO... and then I saw your post and looked into what the Disting can do... ah, ok. I'm covered with this! (understatement of the year) thumbs up I'm putting my order in for the Mk4.
dumbledog
Anyone rack one of these things into a Mantis case? Roland says they're 58mm, Tiptop says the depth on the bottom row is 60 but that's reeeeeal close when you consider the cable.
6Human
dumbledog wrote:
Anyone rack one of these things into a Mantis case? Roland says they're 58mm, Tiptop says the depth on the bottom row is 60 but that's reeeeeal close when you consider the cable.


Don't worry, those 58mm are total product depth including knobs. In practice, depth mesured the eurorack way is 40mm or sligtly less.
dumbledog
6Human wrote:
dumbledog wrote:
Anyone rack one of these things into a Mantis case? Roland says they're 58mm, Tiptop says the depth on the bottom row is 60 but that's reeeeeal close when you consider the cable.


Don't worry, those 58mm are total product depth including knobs. In practice, depth mesured the eurorack way is 40mm or sligtly less.


d'oh! Roland's gonna Roland I guess. Thanks!
anderson303
Ran completely out of HP. Going to have to dual purpose my 521 VCF to replace my mixer modules. If I keep keep the cutoff all the way up and the resonance all the way down will the filter add any color to the signal?
Nightly Closures
I haven't tried in a while, but I don't think it does. Only have used that fiiter in a pinch a couple times as a mixer. I don't remember any issue with the sound being changed.
dubnspace
good idea. I just tried it actually and not noticing any coloring of the signal
anderson303
Finally got home and I do hear something, slightly duller, slightly quieter but I have a high quality VCA I'm using as my output to my audio interface, the vermona twin VCA and maybe it's because it's not going directly into that?

Edit: ok, FWIW, the Roland actually sounds better as a mixer than what I've been using as a mixer, trying them all out now... from brightest/clearest to dullest: #1 Vermona, #2 Roland and #3 the Manhattan CP3s... So I guess I'm better off using it. (and I get saturation from cwejman now anyway so no loss in the CP3s)
syntheticflyer
Does anyone else's System 500 emit a high pitched whine when it's turned on? Mine sounds like tinnitus when I walk into the room. Quite unpleasant. Maybe it's coming from the power supply. I'm not sure. It's been a few weeks since I've turned it on, so I can't tell if this is new behavior or not. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Eichburger
syntheticflyer wrote:
Does anyone else's System 500 emit a high pitched whine when it's turned on? Mine sounds like tinnitus when I walk into the room. Quite unpleasant. Maybe it's coming from the power supply. I'm not sure. It's been a few weeks since I've turned it on, so I can't tell if this is new behavior or not. Is this something I should be concerned about?


What power supply are you using?
syntheticflyer
Eichburger wrote:
syntheticflyer wrote:
Does anyone else's System 500 emit a high pitched whine when it's turned on? Mine sounds like tinnitus when I walk into the room. Quite unpleasant. Maybe it's coming from the power supply. I'm not sure. It's been a few weeks since I've turned it on, so I can't tell if this is new behavior or not. Is this something I should be concerned about?


What power supply are you using?


I'm using the one that came with it. I have the System 500 complete set.
Eichburger
syntheticflyer wrote:
Eichburger wrote:
syntheticflyer wrote:
Does anyone else's System 500 emit a high pitched whine when it's turned on? Mine sounds like tinnitus when I walk into the room. Quite unpleasant. Maybe it's coming from the power supply. I'm not sure. It's been a few weeks since I've turned it on, so I can't tell if this is new behavior or not. Is this something I should be concerned about?


What power supply are you using?


I'm using the one that came with it. I have the System 500 complete set.


I have all the modules but not the power supply. No problem with mine.

Try taking out all the modules and powering up the case. Does it still make a noise? Then put the modules in one by one and test.
Nightly Closures
No noise from mine. However, if you are using the delay module, that thing DOES produce a noise like you describe.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Page 26 of 27
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group