MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rebel Technology: OWL Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Rebel Technology: OWL Modular
mars
We finally have a release date for the long awaited OWL Modular: 1 August 2015.

The OWL Modular is a programmable DSP module based on our OpenWareLaboratory guitar pedal. All the patches that have been developed for the OWL Pedal work equally well on the Modular: phasers, flangers, delays, reverbs, distortion, compression, filters, shifters, screamers, laughers...
We are also extending the collection with new synthesis and sequencing patches made with the Modular in mind.

The specs, in brief:
    DC-coupled stereo in/out
    3500 operations per sample at 24bits/48kHz
    4 assignable pots
    5 CV inputs
    assignable pushbutton
    gate in/out

Coming soon to a distributor near you!
mars
Oh and here's a picture
mars
And a video:
exper
Wow, this is pretty cool. Is there a clockable delay? Is the processor capable of multifx, such as a delay/reverb combo?
mars
No clockable delay yet, but you can expect many more Modular-friendly patches over the next few weeks.
http://hoxtonowl.com/patch-library
Patches can be combined in series/parallel or morphed, as long as you can keep track of the individual parameters and stay within the cpu and memory limits.
pricklyrobot
Interesting.

Really cool panel art, too! thumbs up
mars
pricklyrobot wrote:
Really cool panel art, too! :tu:

thanks!
gloomnox
Very interesting! Will it be able to read PD patches/ assign the ins and outs in PD?
HIMA
cool, good to see it's finally coming out! do you know what the power draw is yet?
mars
Pure Data patches are compiled to C by the Enzine Audio compiler Heavy, see https://enzienaudio.com/.

We've got a short video showing the process here: http://hoxtonowl.com/2015/07/owl-heavy-pd-patch-on-owl-hardware/

We're currently working on an online compiler, which will let you do all this (and test the patch!) without installing any software, running commandline tools, or even leaving your browser.
mxmxmx
gloomnox wrote:
Very interesting! Will it be able to read PD patches/ assign the ins and outs in PD?

speaking of ... is the code used in the "OWL & Heavy" video available somewhere (yet)? ie 'heavy.sh' etc, i suppose ("... we can then compile for the owl using a couple of commands in the terminal")

edit. ah, ok ...
mars
Yes, it's been a long wait and lots and lots of hard work!
+12v: 160mA
-12v: 20mA
mars
mxmxmx wrote:
gloomnox wrote:

speaking of ... is the code used in the "OWL & Heavy" video available somewhere (yet)?

Have a look at the readme here:
https://github.com/pingdynasty/OwlProgram/

I'm badgering Tom to add the PD patch in the video to our patch library!

As said elsewhere, once we're done with development you will be able to do this and more with the online compiler.
mars
gloomnox wrote:

Simply name the parameters 'Channel-A', 'Channel-B' et c. to assign them to the knobs.
theewiper
Looks quite nice. Congrats.
olilarkin
I've been beta testing and making patches for this for a few months and I have to say it is really nice!

hope to post some videos soon

oli
coolshirtdotjpg
I think I'll have to get one of these. I'd love to create/edit pd patches for my modular.
oscillateur
How much memory is there ?
bennelong.bicyclist
oscillateur wrote:

The BOM for the OWL effects pedal shows that it uses an 8Mbit SRAM chip. Not sure if the OWL eurorack module is the same.
oscillateur
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

The BOM for the OWL effects pedal shows that it uses an 8Mbit SRAM chip. Not sure if the OWL eurorack module is the same.

So using everything you would get a bit more than 45 seconds of audio at 16 bit/44KHz, right ? Keeping enough memory for other stuff that would mean 30 to 40 seconds of useable audio buffer ?
midiguru
mars wrote:

The specs, in brief:
    DC-coupled stereo in/out
    3500 operations per sample at 24bits/48kHz
    4 assignable pots
    5 CV inputs
    assignable pushbutton
    gate in/out

Looks quite interesting ... but the specs listed above don't seem to correspond well to the photo. The photo has 8 knobs, not 4. It seems to have only 4 CV inputs. I see two "push" jacks, which I would guess are for pushbutton equivalents, but there doesn't seem to be a gate in/out.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but inquiring minds want to know....
Neo
oscillateur wrote:
So using everything you would get a bit more than 45 seconds of audio at 16 bit/44KHz, right ? Keeping enough memory for other stuff that would mean 30 to 40 seconds of useable audio buffer ?

By my calculations 8Mbits is enough for 11.36 seconds of 16 bit mono audio, or 6.58 seconds of stereo at 44kHz. There's a 1 second stereo delay patch in the Owl patches page. I'd be very interested to get confirmation of how much memory it has.

midiguru wrote:
Looks quite interesting ... but the specs listed above don't seem to correspond well to the photo. The photo has 8 knobs, not 4. It seems to have only 4 CV inputs. I see two "push" jacks, which I would guess are for pushbutton equivalents, but there doesn't seem to be a gate in/out.

I'm guessing cv input 5 is the expression input.
mxmxmx
Neo wrote:

midiguru wrote:

that'll probably be attenuators? looks as if there's only 4 ADC pins broken out (ie from the schematic on github).

mars wrote:

Have a look at the readme here:
https://github.com/pingdynasty/OwlProgram/

ah, ok. sorry, missed this. so much stuff (owlware, owlnest, owlsim...).

and thanks. so i tried this last night and everything compiles fine .. separately (OwlWare, the heavy code dropped into OwlProgram). needed some fiddling with the makefile to also compile the patch into OwlWare.
oscillateur
Neo wrote:
oscillateur wrote:

By my calculations 8Mbits is enough for 11.36 seconds of 16 bit mono audio, or 6.58 seconds of stereo at 44kHz. There's a 1 second stereo delay patch in the Owl patches page. I'd be very interested to get confirmation of how much memory it has.

midiguru wrote:

Ah, you're right.
It's MBits, not MBytes d'oh!

Also, there are probably 8 knobs because 4 of them are attenuators for the CV inputs I guess...
mars
Neo wrote:

By my calculations 8Mbits is enough for 11.36 seconds of 16 bit mono audio, or 6.58 seconds of stereo at 44kHz.

With the current configuration there is 1Mb (megabyte) external SRAM for heap (buffers), 64Kb CCM for stack, and 64Kb SRAM for code. Plus 48Kb SRAM used by the firmware. This can be reconfigured in different ways.
1Mb is 5.46 seconds of 32-bit floats at 48kHz, which is the default sampling rate and data type.
The device also has 1Mb Flash memory, used by the bootloader, firmware, factory patches, and user programs.

Neo wrote:

midiguru wrote:
The photo has 8 knobs, not 4. It seems to have only 4 CV inputs. I see two "push" jacks, which I would guess are for pushbutton equivalents, but there doesn't seem to be a gate in/out.

That's right, that's the centre jack marked EXP, corresponding to patch parameter E.
The second row of knobs set the amount of CV modulation for parameters A, B, C and D.
The two jacks labelled PUSH are Gate in and out (in on the left, out on the right, as per the stereo in/out labels). It's a lot easier to see the labels clearly when you have the module in front of you.
The LED in the centre is a two-colour illuminated pushbutton.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4