MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

"Bongo Trigger Pad"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author "Bongo Trigger Pad"
MrTea
I love the look of the trigger pad that you see at around 2 mins into this video. Is that something that is easy to make? It looks like 2 bits of cork held together with some electrical tape, but being a bit of DIY noob, I'm not sure what it's innards would contain.

If anybody could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

sorteper
The Electronic Drum Cookbook by Thomas Henry has a very thorough description on how to make a bongo-style trigger pad. Cannot recommend the Cookbook highly enough. Available either as pdf or paperback for $15 through Magic Smoke.
MrTea
Looks great, thanks.
sgnelson
I wouldn't quote me on this, but my guess is that it's simply a piezoelectric ($1 from radio shack) buzzer put in between two pieces of cork and taped together with a 1/8 jack.
MrTea
sgnelson wrote:
I wouldn't quote me on this, but my guess is that it's simply a piezoelectric ($1 from radio shack) buzzer put in between two pieces of cork and taped together with a 1/8 jack.

Nice, I soldered one to jack the other day so will try it out. Any idea what sort of voltage they put out?
bsmith
sgnelson wrote:

Thanks for this nugget - it totally works. 2 bucks later I'm patented-bongoing out.
modularland
which piezo did you use?
MrTea
Yep it works a treat. Had mine in the middle of a book. Happily triggered a Doepfer envelope generator.

thumbs up
bsmith
modularland wrote:
which piezo did you use?

used a radioshack 273-073 -cheapest they had - says 30Vmax. Makes a cute little osc-output-checker-outer thing too.
numan7
Using Piezos is cheating! It baffles me why the diy sites seem to imply you need piezos (hint - 1 wire from a voltage source in to plate a, 1 wire out from plate b to eg gate in).

I only needed cardboard, foam, foil, tape and a pair of wires...

Works great too!

Cheers
sgnelson
using piezo;s may be cheating, but they're so fun and useful for so many other things! I love cheap, home made piezo mics, i've been using them for years, they're one of the greatest, cheapest little accessories a noise maker can have. So when you're done with your homemade bongo pad's, take the piezo mic, put it in a coke can, put it through a good (or bad!) preamp and then have fun with your $2 microphone.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1