MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

honda rom
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author honda rom
Mr White
this piston honda is da shiet!
the more time I pass with it the more I love it and miss little less my beloved microwave... ambulance

wondering a couple of roms filled with low harmonic waves for FM duties here's my question:

I dont know so much about the miniwave data format but how shall I program my own roms?
what it will need in software/hardware speaking?
what kind of waves to get nice interpolation?
deastman
Here is Scott's answer from another topic:

governor blacksnake wrote:
You can use the wave256 program to write your waveforms, then you must take the raw data that this program produces and convert it to Intel HEX format. There are many ways to do this cheaply, personally I use Hex Workshop on Windows but it's a bit expensive. Next, obtain a Microchip PICKit2 programmer (about $30). Construct a small circuit board containing a ZIF socket (narrow) and some headers for power supply connection and PICKit interface (the PICKit uses a 6-pin single-row header to connect to the target device). You will need some 25xx512 serial EEPROMs. The PICKit software is poorly implemented but works well enough as long as you have wired up your board correctly (the pinouts are in the data files on the included CD).

It might be a good idea to have a PICKit around anyways, as an upcoming drum sampler module will have this 6-pin header for directly programming the device.
SquidInSquidInk
At one point, didn't Scott mention possibly providing a service where people could send him wave256 programs and he would put them on EEPROMs (for a fee, of course)?
Soundwave
where can i listen to some samples?
deastman
SquidInSquidInk wrote:
At one point, didn't Scott mention possibly providing a service where people could send him wave256 programs and he would put them on EEPROMs (for a fee, of course)?
I believe he did make that offer. Thing is, it looks very simple and affordable to put together your own burner. That gives you the flexibility to try out some custom wavetables, make changes if you aren't satisfied, and generally just experiment a lot more. The EEPROMS themselves are also fairly cheap.

I didn't get a confirmation from Scott, but it appears that the Doepfer A-112 Sampler transfer utility program can be used to translate between Wave256 and Hex formats, so there's an easy free solution to that part of the puzzle. You can also open these files up in Sound Forge (and probably other editors), allowing for a lot of flexibility in building your own wavetables from other sources.

I'm looking forward to playing around with this myself. 8_)
Limey
does anyone know the duration sampletime each wavetable is?
Im thinkin to get TI speak & spell and some yamaha DX100 waves onto there.
Junk Rhythm
Each location in the ROM should be 256 samples long. Since you have 16 banks with 16 locations you can hold 256 different samples that are each 256 samples long.
Limey
Junk Rhythm wrote:
Each location in the ROM should be 256 samples long. Since you have 16 banks with 16 locations you can hold 256 different samples that are each 256 samples long.

good info, thanks
got a Piston with expansionboard comming in a few days
Junk Rhythm
I should have one soon and I'm really looking forward to popping EEPROMs in and out of it. There are a lot of ROM bins all over the internet that can be "edited" and squeezed into the Piston.
bsmith
governor blacksnake wrote:
You can use the wave256 program to write your waveforms, then you must take the raw data that this program produces and convert it to Intel HEX format. There are many ways to do this cheaply, personally I use Hex Workshop on Windows but it's a bit expensive. Next, obtain a Microchip PICKit2 programmer (about $30). Construct a small circuit board containing a ZIF socket (narrow) and some headers for power supply connection and PICKit interface (the PICKit uses a 6-pin single-row header to connect to the target device). You will need some 25xx512 serial EEPROMs. The PICKit software is poorly implemented but works well enough as long as you have wired up your board correctly (the pinouts are in the data files on the included CD).

I'd like to try this and am not really super-diy guy here. It seems like coming up with wavetables to put into the ph expander would be a fun part of the whole creative process with it, and I can see doing a few and it taking several iterations before I was finally happy with one.
So to do this we need the pickit2:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Microchip/PG164120/?qs=FF3lEoAMV0v %252b04QthdnDhQ%3d%3d
25xx512 eproms:
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en530926 (is this right?)
Wave256:
http://www.wiard.com/support/wave256.zip
(which runs very well under wine on a mac for me)
Something to convert raw data from wave256 to intel hex format:
I'm on a mac - it looks like this will work though?
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Development/Libraries/IntelHex.shtml

The circuit board - I don't know. Could someone offer some clues on parts needed and how to construct that?
bsmith
sad banana
Junk Rhythm
bsmith wrote:
The circuit board - I don't know. Could someone offer some clues on parts needed and how to construct that?

What circuit board would that be? To program the EEPROMs you only need the PICkit 2, EEPROM, and a solderless breadboard will work. You hook the PICkit up using the ICSP pinout:

Connect each the first 5 pins listed above to the corresponding pins on the 25xx512. Check the datasheet to figure out which pins you will need. You could get fancier than this and build a dedicated programmer with a ZIF socket but if you are only planning on programming a few chips here and there, the breadboard will suffice.
bsmith
Thank you so much, was just going off what governor blacksnake had posted, I guess he was describing a higher duty setup than I would need.
Junk Rhythm have you done some of your own yet then?

Junk Rhythm wrote:
bsmith wrote:

What circuit board would that be? To program the EEPROMs you only need the PICkit 2, EEPROM, and a solderless breadboard will work. You hook the PICkit up using the ICSP pinout:
bsmith
I've tried everything and I can not get his to work. I can read or erase and I can see that yes it is reading and erasing, but no dice on a successfull write of anything but 'FF FF FF' etc... It throws an error at the first non-'FF' hex address. This happens with the hex file created from my wave256 file, and also just manually editing in the pickit 2 software/
using 25lc512's (have tried several to make sure it isn't a bad one of those) with the pickit 2 programmer and a solderless breadboard - definitely have the the pinouts correct and am making sure that voltage is going to it when trying to write, and have tried variations on the level.
Am wondering if I got a bunk programmer. I'd thought maybe it was from me trying to do this on a mac using wine or parallels, but snuck onto my wifes pc and installed the pickit 2 software and got the exact same thing.
Any clues?
Entrainer
This is fascinating!

Anyone know what note/pitch is chosen as the default?
It'd have to be something where 256 samples has a
perfect cycle or division of cycles to avoid clicking,
correct?
bsmith
Building them in wave256 you mean? F3 flat by around 22 cents is what a petersen tuner is telling me.
bsmith
Ok, I think the problem I'm having has to do with the 'write enable latch' - how in the hell do I send this WREN instruction?
from the 25aa512 datasheet:
Quote:
This is done by setting CS low and then clocking out the proper instruction into the 25LC512. After all eight bits of the instruction are trans- mitted, the CS must be brought high to set the write enable latch. If the write operation is initiated immedi- ately after the WREN instruction without CS being brought high, the data will not be written to the array because the write enable latch will not have been properly set.

and the sequence looks like:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -- sck
0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 -- SI

I'm getting close - help!!!!
governor blacksnake
bsmith wrote:
I've tried everything and I can not get his to work. I can read or erase and I can see that yes it is reading and erasing, but no dice on a successfull write of anything but 'FF FF FF' etc... It throws an error at the first non-'FF' hex address. This happens with the hex file created from my wave256 file, and also just manually editing in the pickit 2 software/
using 25lc512's (have tried several to make sure it isn't a bad one of those) with the pickit 2 programmer and a solderless breadboard - definitely have the the pinouts correct and am making sure that voltage is going to it when trying to write, and have tried variations on the level.
Am wondering if I got a bunk programmer. I'd thought maybe it was from me trying to do this on a mac using wine or parallels, but snuck onto my wifes pc and installed the pickit 2 software and got the exact same thing.
Any clues?

The write sequence should be properly handled by the Pickit command... make sure you have pin 3 of the ROM (active-low write protect) tied to VCC.

I finally upgraded my development tools and am working on a easy to follow procedure for using the free "MPLAB" development environment for generating ROM-ready .hex files from your .256 data.

Anyone up for generating a vowels ROM? That sort of thing is really missing from this device.
bsmith
Thank you Guvnah!!!!!!
WOOHOOO!
I burned a rom of a set I built in wave256!!!!
I fucking finally burned a rom!!!! Playing with it now in the PH!!! WOOOO!
So fun!

!!!!!!!!!

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Fnord
Is it possible to use waveforms from something like soundforge? Say like, if i wanted a rom full of sounds of breaking glass and cows for example. Not that I'd actually own a cd of cow noises or anything...
Exuviae
Quote:
Anyone up for generating a vowels ROM? That sort of thing is really missing from this device.

I desperately want something like this. Interpolated FM tables might be cool as well.
Junk Rhythm
Fnord wrote:
Is it possible to use waveforms from something like soundforge? Say like, if i wanted a rom full of sounds of breaking glass and cows for example. Not that I'd actually own a cd of cow noises or anything...

Refer to this Muff Wiggler topic:
Allophones/Phonemes
Fnord
Thank you so much.
Somewhere in my posession I have a cd that was copied direct from a reel to reel tape of a never aired interview with an 1960's cultural icon, and my sister is a speech pathologist.... the possibilities abound...
bsmith
Here's one I came up with (in both .256 and .hex formats):
http://www.epicurean.com/fodder/udder.256
http://www.epicurean.com/fodder/udder.HEX

The new.256 that comes with the wave256 application is great and there are a some you can find on the wiard yahoo groups site at:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/wiardgroup/files/Binary%20Waves/

I'm trying to figure out how get this quantix 8 software running under parallels on mac - it needs a roland mpu-401 interface to run - which soundblaster cards can emulate - but not having luck with that. Looks like it has a deeper feature set than wave256 and according to grant uses compatible raw format, except that the table is larger so some truncating would be needed.
Also playing with soundforge and can see how that will work. The cycle for a single waveform sample length comes out to be at about 20 cents flat of F3 - so tuning whatever to that and then converting to 8 bit 22khz looks like how that needs to be done. Open up a .256 file in soundforge in raw format at 8 bits 22khz (like the new.256 file) and you kind of have a template or at least a very good idea of how to proceed.

edit:
By the way, on my mac I was able to use the command line utility 'pk2cmd' that you can get here to burn an eprom successfully using the line
./pk2cmd -A3.3 -P25LC512 -F/Users/bsmith/Desktop/roms/myrom.HEX -M
So this is cool because you shouldn't have to mess with parallels to use the pickit tool, and wave256 runs under wine on osx just dandy.
wavecircle
Are there any 3rd party Roms available for the Piston Honda yet?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2