MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

how are you guys recording your modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author how are you guys recording your modular?
Jtalton
how are you guys recording your modular?

I have a apollo 16 and am starting to try and figure out how i am going to track my modular. I have 3 voices and about 8tta drum modules. I was going to probably track each voice stereo individually and all the drums individually and was wondering what programs do you guys use and how you guys sync and what not.

I was planning to take a metronome out from my daw to use as clock for the modular.

I was also hoping to recorder in loops so i was thinking about trying out live but not sure how well it works. I was a logic guy for a long time but am not really digging logic X. I looked at reaper and am interested but like the idea of loop recording in live.

I dont know just interested in learning how you all do it and hopefully finding new interesting ideas.
Kentucky
I've been using a loop pedal and a....SHARP RD680AV, to record. Lol, gots no Never maintain cash savings again for a computer but good luck wink Rockin' Banana!
krisamadhi
I use Cubase with MR816 X for audio.
Fastlane Midi to elektron A4 which sends clock to the mods.

Mod audio goes into my Mackie 16.8 and then to the MR816 X
Pailo
I use Ableton. Clock midi to Analog Four by Elektron.
From there i use the A4 CV Clock out to clock the QCD (4ms).

Then all the clocks from the CPU and Gates from the QCD are
in Sync. Any mono input can be treated stereo once you hit
the daw. I have a Radial Workhorse with 5 pre's that all
take a channel out of the modular into a Fireface 800.

Basically 5 mono tracks from the modular that can be worked
on in the DAW if needs be, but i just play live, hit record,
and master after. I don't edit any of my tracks. It's more fun
to practice something until it sounds good. Then record it.

Hope that helps. Remember reset is really important too....
meatbeatz
DC coupled interfaces (Metric Halo, Motu etc) are perfect for recording modular in sync with a DAW. Send clock and reset out from SW Sync plugin to outputs 7-8 while recording tracks 1-8 in sync with the DAW. Neat and tidy!
basicbasic
Logic is the master clock and multitrack recorder, to Kenton USB solo which provides DIN and clock out to all my gear, modular included.

I record one track at a time into Logic.
dkcg
If I want loops, I'll use Ableton, if I'm just recording something I find cool, Logic or Protools (depending on if my Mac or Win machine is on).

I use midi clock almost all the time now, usually coming from the Octatrack which is used like a submixer/effects unit/resampler, but if I want to sync to the DAW, I'll end up probably using Ableton to clock everything. Either way I have a Midisport 8x8 that is used as a midi router when not used with the DAW (OT send clock to it, and it goes out to the 7 other midi outputs to effects, synths, etc).

Most times I record stereo from the Mackie to a SoundDevices USP Pre2. If I want individual tracks I use one or two Motu interfaces, but still get the stereo "performance" via the USBpre2.

I don't overdub very often, almost always get everything in one shot with some post in the DAW.
scozbor
I'm recording directly to my brain via my trusty old EAR/BRAIN interface. The only issue is, until my singing skills improve my playback method is somewhat lo-fi...
hallospceboy
Just wanted to chime in on Ableton Live. I love it! However i find if I use its midi clock as a Master I often run into drifting times...
For example, Ill often send a channel of trigger to my MN Maths and send a usb to my DSI Mopho to send notes too. (I like to rehearse and do a couple of live takes) Every once in a while my Mopho will drift out of time with my modular. However I find everything else about Live outweighs that con. Especially if you're using something else to clock with and just using your DAW as a giant tape machine
monads
Old system here, but reliable.

-PPC G4
-DP7
-Apogee AD-16X
-Lavry 4496
-Lynx AES16
-Grace m904b
Rigo
Yamaha mixing desk straight to the built-in USB stick w00t
That is, if I record at all.
bigwill
hallospceboy wrote:
Just wanted to chime in on Ableton Live. I love it! However i find if I use its midi clock as a Master I often run into drifting times...
For example, Ill often send a channel of trigger to my MN Maths and send a usb to my DSI Mopho to send notes too. (I like to rehearse and do a couple of live takes) Every once in a while my Mopho will drift out of time with my modular. However I find everything else about Live outweighs that con. Especially if you're using something else to clock with and just using your DAW as a giant tape machine

Yeah, MIDI can experience issues. I didn't personally notice drift issues, but had way worse issues when I was attempting to control my modular via a Yarns (tons of MIDI devices on the same USB bus lead to issues).

Others have suggested Silent Ways Sync plugin (from Expert Sleepers) + DC-coupled interface, but the Apollo is AC-coupled.

I also have an Apollo. My suggestion is to pick up Expert Sleepers ES-3. This interfaces nicely with the ADAT of the Apollo. This gives you a bunch of CV outs (even audio outs really, but it's not marketed that way), one of which you can use for sync clock from Silent Ways. The rest I use to provide a couple voices worth of (gate, pitch CV, velocity or pressure cv). Works great!

Add in an ES-6, and you get a few channels of CV back into your DAW as well. Again, though not technically marketed for audio, you could multi-track audio signals back in as well as CV if you don't already have enough channels for this via the Apollo's standard audio inputs.

As for choice of DAW, I've been an Ableton Live guy since way before I got into modular. Not much help there sorry, other than to see I think it ends up working pretty well from Live when setup well.
JohnLRice
I use a flash recorder and then take the SD card out of it and import it into my computer, usually to edit it in Sony Vegas Movie Studio and then upload to YouTube.
smithknows
I take care of all the sync outside of the computer.
MPC 60 as master clock
Moog Sub 37 synced
Modular synced

Then each one get its own channel on my Toft mixer.
Converted with Motu 828
Straight to ProTools

That may not answer any of your questions. But there's an example of a recording workflow.
misa
I track stereo into my Fireface 400 or 800. I sometimes recroded into a Zoom H4n, but it doesn't make the transients of the modular sound good.
Baddcr
Still experimenting here, so it's great to read everyones contributions, thanks for sharing!

I've been recording loops into the Octatrack a lot, no DAW, just clock from OT > Yarns - that works very well.
craigie77
im using a Presonus Firestudio Project going into Harrison Mixbus 3

really happy with this combination... very warm and organic ( to my ears)
I love the way Harrison gives VST a real thick sound ( talking verbs and such)

... btw.. is there a plugin that can Give an audio Clock like a click track that you can boost to modular level..
im currently using a sample that I paste over a track to do this to sync my modular to the daw..

cheers
Fastus
I get flawless sync with my Inner Clock System's 'Sync-Gen IILS', which also serves as a clock multiplier, connected via a Fireface 400 to Ableton on my PC. Was very easy to install & never had to worry about timing issues thereafter.
noisejockey
I, too, record stereo tracks one at a time into Logic through an RME Fireface 800. Multi-track layering works for me most of the time, but when I don't want to use the computer, I record a stereo pair live into a Sound Devices 702. Or a Korg Mini Kaoss Pad. Or a cassette player. Depends on the mood/vibe/need.
melodydad
Modular -> RNC1773 -> Focusrite Saffire 14 -> ProTools11.

Clock/cv1/gate from PT through Kenton Pro Solo Mk2.

Considering swapping out the he RNC for the new Sknote Raw Pro Opto Compressor!
Michael O.
Modular (usually out of a mixer module) -> something to balance the signal (decent quality passive or active DI's that won't distort in a bad way, or a hi-z input direct to a compressor) -> Trident console -> optional outboard -> ADC (usually metric halo LIO-8 that doubles as the clock playback device) or tape

The master clock signal is from a urei 964, if straight, or a module if the tempo needs to vary. This is about as complex a signal chain as you'd ever need for recording modular, but it works. At home it's synth straight into a metric halo or tape.
fireclown
Kentucky wrote:
I've been using a loop pedal and a....SHARP RD680AV, to record. Lol, gots no Never maintain cash savings again for a computer but good luck wink Rockin' Banana!

youre the man.

Ive been using VHS but seem to have been obsoleted prematurely imo.
digital fascists format prejudice. fickle consumers.
Scories
zoom H4n
FetidEye
ha! me too smile

mostly a h4n, sometimes directly to ableton using a motu 828mk2
erstlaub
Depends on circumstance/laziness, but I tend to setup up to 4 'submixes' within the modular running into my ssf mixmode and then either run the 4 attenuated outs to 4 inputs on my saffire, or often I'll just stick the mono mixed out into it, or a zoom depending on where I am/what I'm doing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9