MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

etching your own pcbs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author etching your own pcbs
Luka
well i just made my first round using pnp blue and ferric chloride

i followed the tonepad photoessays
here:
etch
pnp transfer

first successful build was some power distro boards

so proud smile

tips for others, dont use immitation sharpies to cover up bad pnp transfers
i tried it on this distro board and it didnt really work. i re-traced it a few broken lines with the psuedo-sharpie texta and the end result was bad.
nevertheless it worked, no mega problems i cant deal with

got some yusynth arp-vcfs next and some stomp box adapter/lfos

then a HUGE list of backlog begins

anyone else doing this, got tips?
futuresoundsystems
I use UV exposures (print out PCB drawing on to "acetate" (not actually acetate, I can't remember what the proper term is at the moment) and then expose UV sensitive board to it), then develop and etch them in tanks. Then it's on to drilling all the holes and finishing the edges off.
krisp14u
I use P&P Blue and get good results
Some tips
Use a solid toner from your printer the darker the better
get the copper board clean with a bit of wire wool make sure it shines wash with washing up liquid and rinse and dry try not to get finger prints on the copper (do this just before using the P&P on it)
Make sure the iron is hot
Use a sheet of plain paper in-between the iron and P&P and apply lots of movement all over the board for around 1 min more movement than pressure
After the min is up put the whole thing straight in ice cold water and peel of the P&P
Dry drill and only remove the P&P from the copper when you’re ready to solder
Works well for me
dbch
i've been doing this for a while, too.
electro-music.com/forum has a diy site full of press and peel layouts and lots of helpful people.
pristak
Those of you in the Dallas TX area. It looks like one of our first SDIY building meetings will be a workshop in pcb etching.

One of our members has done this quite a bit and it seems like learning PCB etching is a good way to get started. It is at least 2 weeks away though, probably a little more than that.
Kwote
pristak wrote:
Those of you in the Dallas TX area. It looks like one of our first SDIY building meetings will be a workshop in pcb etching.

One of our members has done this quite a bit and it seems like learning PCB etching is a good way to get started. It is at least 2 weeks away though, probably a little more than that.

this is one of those rare times where i actually wish i lived in texas. sounds hecka fun!!
pristak
It looks like the meeting won't be until 9/28. That is enough time to move.
dbch
Hey Kwote, what part of the west coast are you in? there are a couple of us in LA that get together to etch and drill boards form time to time....
david
Kwote
pristak wrote:
It looks like the meeting won't be until 9/28. That is enough time to move.

hihi
Kwote
dbch wrote:
Hey Kwote, what part of the west coast are you in? there are a couple of us in LA that get together to etch and drill boards form time to time....
david

concord my friend. SF Bay area for those that aren't fortunate enough to be hipped to the coolness that is .. CONCORD .. SlayerBadger!

so uh yeah not very close to LA but cool to know you guys are out there putting it down.
Luka
well i just etched some more
this is fun

they worked so good this time

when i was etching i sat the ferric chloride container in another container with really hot water in it. etched 2 boards at once too. smile

this is a dangerous advace in my workflow. i wrote out my whole backlog last nite and it is a fair sum. this is going to make it so much bigger . wince.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1