MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 106, 107, 108  Next [all]
Author DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds
Markat
I'm building a uClouds and am preparing things to load the firmware onto it and was wondering about the hardware needed to do so. I plan on getting a development board than can function as the STlink and an ARM to JTAG adaptor of some kind but was wondering if I need to get a particular version of development board to go with my ARM chip or if it doesn't matter as long as it's some version of STM32. There's various ones at different prices on mouser but I'm guessing as long as it has STlink it should work just as a pass through.
skautkurt
Hi, I built myself a MI Clouds, but after successfully flashing(?) the stm32 via the stlink-v2 nothing happens. This is the console output right after the flashing:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-04-24-15:37)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v31 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 3.215873
Info : stm32f4x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
target state: halted
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread
xPSR: 0x61000000 pc: 0x08002baa msp: 0x2001ff90
Info : device id = 0x10076413
Info : flash size = 1024kbytes
stm32x mass erase complete
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Handler HardFault
xPSR: 0x01000003 pc: 0xfffffffe msp: 0xffffffd8
auto erase enabled
wrote 262144 bytes from file build/clouds/clouds_bootloader_combo.bin in 12.655769s (20.228 KiB/s)
target halted due to breakpoint, current mode: Handler HardFault
xPSR: 0x61000003 pc: 0x2000002e msp: 0xffffffd8
verified 168912 bytes in 2.723339s (60.570 KiB/s)
shutdown command invoked

Then, nothing. No LED or anything. Any Ideas what is happening? Am I reading this output correctly as a successful flash? I checked all the rails, they all have the correct voltage. Nothing on Board is getting hot. I tried reflashing multiple times, but no cigar. Right now I am a little unsure where to start, if any of you have any pointers or ideas I would be really grateful.

help

best
T
forestcaver
skautkurt wrote:

Am I reading this output correctly as a successful flash?

Yes.

I’d check reference voltages. After checking the board under high magnification I’d scope the stm32 output to the dac, scope the dac output, trace the output from the dac to the jacks as a first step... or you could use the on chip debugger and see what is happening on the stm32 itself to see what is going in and out...
skautkurt
Thanks for your quick answer!

forestcaver wrote:
skautkurt wrote:

Am I reading this output correctly as a successful flash?

Yes.

Okay nice, so at least I did not fry the stm32 as it seems. I will get to scoping tomorrow. We´ll see what comes out. What really baffles me is that the led really do nothing at all, even after a power cycle. Two times all of the LED lit up for a second or so, afterwards back do darkness... Maybe I need to do some reflowing

best
T
skautkurt
EDIT: SOME REFLOWING LATER IT SEEMS TO WORK!!! Thanks for the help smile

Okay, things are interesting. If I hold down the SYSBOOT button on the board after I turn on my modular, then turn it off and on again I can get the 4 LEDS to light up, the first 3 are orange, the last one is green (from left to right. I don't have access to a dso right now, but I might in the evening..
djthopa
Had some debugging to do today with my plaits build.
Sound was coming out as cut with clicks and cracks.
Literally reflowed everything and it worked!
Must have had a bad ic pin solder on the dac or the tl072, since the leds worked ok and i managed to flash it via the st link and the audio update too.
djthopa
Well here i am one more time, debugging a Clouds.

I can flash the firmware and bootloader from the Mutable Vagrant.

I can also update via wav.

The problem i have is when i turn the module off all the firmware dissapears, and i get the big led blinking and all the rest blinking led as it did not load the firmware.

Thanks to the help of gbiz! we have checked that the the mcu can be erased and i have uploaded the st-flash --reset write clouds_bootloader_combo.bin 0x8000000 and again, it uploads fine, but resets on power off.

I have tracked down the problem with that pin 61 (Gnd) shows continuity with pin 61 Sw_Rec.

So what we think is going on is the module powers on the bootloader is being instructed to load new firmware & not run the existing code.

I have desoldered all switches and the big led Switch too.

Still getting continuity from pins 63 and 61, so SW Rec its shorted to Ground but i cannot find where :(

I have looked at the pins on the led Switch, and pins 2 & 5 are shorted together & connected to pin 61 but also connected to pins 3 & 6 which are connected to 0V.

Im have looked everywhere on the pcb, the Switch led pads, the traces, where there could be a short....but nothing,.

Im starting to thing the short might be under the mcu.

Any ideas? Before i get the knive and i start cutting traces which im not too fond of.

Was thinking of cutting the trace that goes from pin 2&5 in case the short comes from that the Led switch area, but the short could be from further down the pcb trace.

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks!
djthopa
Ok, sorted!

Had the tiniest short between on the pads, pad 2 with the ground pour.

I dont know.....such a tiny tiny connection and it goes havoc.

I had to find it with the scope, and even under the scope it was super small, maybe even a solder braid.

Well, its working now!

Thanks
djthopa
well i think i called victory too early..

When ever i solder the switch led back on i get the same faulty behaviour.

I have tried only soldering one leg of the switch led, restarting the module, etc.

Sometimes the module starts fine sometimes it doesn’t.

It only works with the led switch fully removed.

I’m starting to think it might be either the replaced switch led i an using (i had some spares from old builds but are not the same as the mutable ones) or
there is something else down the switch led causing the erratic behaviour.

i’m going to see if i can found a switch led exactly like the mutable so i can cancel that out Dead Banana

Edit:

Sorry for the hiper posting, i found the problem.
I feel like a fool actually!

The switch i replaced was momentarion on / off, the one i put was on / off latching.

So when restarting the module with the button pressed down, the module thought it was in update mode.

I didnt have any momentary Switch leds so, if you open up a latching switch (had to do this with the scope) and a couple of goes, turns out you can open it, push out the mechanism and there is a little spring.

Attached to the spring its a little metal piece, sort of like a hook, that holds the switch down when its pressed. It can be removed carefully.

I put it back together and now its momentary switch. It's peanut butter jelly time!
omote
Hey folks,
I've been a long time lurker on this forum, and it's been very helpful debugging some previous Mutable builds.

However, I have a Jakplugg Twist that's almost got me beat. It seems to have flashed ok (I used a precompiled Warps .hex file - not sure if there's a different file to use for the Jakplugg Twist version??).
I can get audio in to it and the internal oscillators cycle through fine. However, audio out only works via the AUX out. The OUT 1 and OUT 2 pass an almost inaudible amount of audio.

Listening via AUX out, the ALGO and TIMBRE knobs have no effect on the audio. Algo does cycle through the colours.

Listening via OUT 1 & 2 (what very little audio can be heard) the ALGO and TIMBRE knobs do seem to affect the audio.

On the 3.3V rail, I'm getting either 3.27v or -3.27v depending on where I'm measuring.

I had this built a few months ago, and as it wasn't working properly, I left it to start other (successful) builds.

Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/HJuK75osxRE

gooneybird
Hey I’m new to this...kinda.

Really want to build one from scratch as a stand alone box

I have purf board and bread board for testing...I understand the basics of all this jazz but I’m really wondering how hard it would be to make this up?

I really think it would be a cool project but someone tell I’m stupid MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Pm me if you want, maybe with some easy suggestions
joegg
Guys my clouds had been working for a few weeks but randomly one day while I was playing guitar through it, the sound slowly started degrading until nothing could be heard. It behaves in a really strange way now where some of the controls work but not all of them and there's no sound output anymore. Here's a video of it:

https://youtu.be/-lTx2qOun6c

I'm not sure whether this could be a hardware fault or some sort of software bricking, already reflowed the STM and the audio codec to no avail.

Any ideas for how to fix this? The start up sequence seems oddly specific and it's always the same even after reprogramming...
Halfgeleider
Built my 2nd rings last week, everything went fine, flashing was succesfull, calibration works good. Only problem is.... no audio output seriously, i just don't get it
Board is from amazing synths and they proposed to do some tests but they all turned positive.

I searched the thread and in page 49 i came across someone who faced exactly the same , left led flickers on strum and v/oct in, no audio out. Traces between MCU and codec are good, traces between outputs and codec are also good. Those 10uF caps however, im not sure of those...
Below is the post of page 49

So, the STM is soldered fine and flashed, as is the codec, and they seem to be speaking to each other fine. I can cycle through the modes and the LED's give feedback for that, plus the left flickers when a signal is sent to v/oct and strum inputs, so I know there's a fair bit of this build that is working just fine. There's no audio out though confused
I've been specifically looking at the path from the main_out pin of the codec to J9, and everything looks good under a standard magnifying glass, but I'm slightly wary of some of the 10uF electrolytics around there. Also looking at the TL072 and its associated R's & C's and that looks good too.
are there any other areas of the circuit that I should be double checking?

Unfortunately I've soldered all jacks and pots in, so replacing all those R's and C's plus the 072 is currently pretty much impossible atm, but I'm getting some thick braid tomorrow and I'm going to attempt to remove a few select pots and jacks for better access cry . Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about diagnosing the problem other than just by looking for badly soldered components? For instance are there any specific voltage readings I should be getting around the main_out section of the circuit? Or how can I tell if any of those 10uF's are causing problems? Any help hiiiighly appreciated! help

I dont have a scope so that is a not an option, i should think this is fixable, but got stuck. Any one here that might know where to look?
[/i]
Markat
Markat wrote:
I'm building a uClouds and am preparing things to load the firmware onto it and was wondering about the hardware needed to do so. I plan on getting a development board than can function as the STlink and an ARM to JTAG adaptor of some kind but was wondering if I need to get a particular version of development board to go with my ARM chip or if it doesn't matter as long as it's some version of STM32. There's various ones at different prices on mouser but I'm guessing as long as it has STlink it should work just as a pass through.

Just wanted to repeat this question in case someone who can help missed it. I’m wondering if the exact model of STM32 on the development board is important for flashing a module.
gbiz
Markat wrote:
Markat wrote:

Just wanted to repeat this question in case someone who can help missed it. I’m wondering if the exact model of STM32 on the development board is important for flashing a module.

No its not. On those ST development boards (Disco, Nucleo etc), the programming interface is a separate section of the board. What you're actually getting is an ST-Link programmer hard wired to an STM32 development board for that MCU on one board. That programming interface is usually exposed on a header so you can use the same programming interface to program/develop other external MCUs irrespective of the STM32 MCU on the development board. They don't usually come with cables for that interface, so you'll have to supply the cable for it, and you'll still need the adapter board & 1.27mm pitch SWD cable. (On the Nucleo i have here, the ST-Link section of the board is separated by a routed slot & mousebite tabs so you can break it away to use by itself).

Unless you're interested in coding for the MCU on the development board, the dedicated ST-Link-v2 programmer isn't much more expensive. I'd suggest go with that (Mouser has them for £16 (511-ST-LINK/V2)). It's in a case so it's less likely to get damaged, & it's smaller. You get the wider pitch cables with it, so you only need the adapter board & 1.27mm cable (485-2094 & 485-1675).
Markat
Cool, thanks for the info. The development boards seem to be half the price of the ST Link unit itself and I'll probably never need it for anything else.
djthopa
Hi!

Im going to start with a Stages and I have seen that the power connector is not trhu hole eurorack standard, meaning pins do not go trough the pcb, but instead there are pads for them.

Shall i just solder the pins on top of the pads just any other component?

Wont this cause stress to the pcb and the solder joints every time i plug / unplug the power cord?

Thanks
cnicht
How often will you be plugging/unplugging the power connector?
djthopa
Ill probably make a power cable for the module and leave it on to stay away from trouble.

Thanks!
cnicht
I wasn’t being facetious with my post but would have thought that the number of times you connect the module wouldn’t have put excessive strain on the solder joint.
djthopa
cnicht wrote:
I wasn’t being facetious with my post but would have thought that the number of times you connect the module wouldn’t have put excessive strain on the solder joint.

I know smile

No worries i know what you meant.

Its the first time i have seen a pcb like that so was making very sure i was not going to make a mistake or i was missing some other detail.

Cheers!
bastbast13
Hello all,
I’m new here but I read a lot of post since a long time and I am looking for some help with a classic Rings.

It is strange but my module works at the first power up... but, the lm1117 become pretty hot after 2 or 3 minutes and the module shut down. After that the two leds are blinking and my PSU too.

I measure between +12/gnd and -12/gnd approximativaly 1k5 ohm and between 3v3/gnd 365 ohms. Are it a right values ?
I have multiple checked IC’s, all are good position. I also replaced diodes.

I don’t know how I have to process to find the problem and which part of pcb ?
Please help me very frustrating
[/img]
Halfgeleider
Are u sure all ic's are placed correctly? I made a similar mistake on my first rings.
JakoGreyshire
My post here is not directed at anyone. I just wanted to echo something that has been said here in this thread a few times before...

Firstly, I had an Elements that was acting real weird. Certain knobs were changing two parameters at the same time.. Other knobs were not working at all...

I was frustrated with tracing shorts and looking at everything that could be wrong with it...

Elements took a back seat for other projects and disappointment in not having such a cool module working was heavy.

Then I got a USB microscope. Within ten minutes I had discovered three solder spray shorts on different ICs that I couldn't see with my normal magnification.
It's actually kind of amazing how shorts on pins can hide way up the pin close to the IC body.

Twenty minutes later I had a fully working Elements...

It was so easy to fix. Why did I wait so long to get a USB microscope?

Now, it's real easy to see if my soldering is good or not.. I double check everything under a microscope as I work and it is very reassuring.
I can't solder while looking at the microscope but checking joints after I solder is super fun.

This is a major level up for me.. When I read posts talking about microscopes in the past I was like, "yeah, I need one... I'll go and get one soon." But, time passes and a few modules get built and work properly... So, "meh".... Whatever... I would just postpone getting one.

So, I'll echo what has been said before. Go get a USB microscope! They are cheap. They work well enough. Some of them are super cheap crap. Find one with good reviews.

This is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNYXQHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_titl e_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm super happy with it and it is going to save me time and headaches...

thumbs up thumbs up
djthopa
JakoGreyshire wrote:
My post here is not directed at anyone. I just wanted to echo something that has been said here in this thread a few times before...

Firstly, I had an Elements that was acting real weird. Certain knobs were changing two parameters at the same time.. Other knobs were not working at all...

I was frustrated with tracing shorts and looking at everything that could be wrong with it...

Elements took a back seat for other projects and disappointment in not having such a cool module working was heavy.

Then I got a USB microscope. Within ten minutes I had discovered three solder spray shorts on different ICs that I couldn't see with my normal magnification.
It's actually kind of amazing how shorts on pins can hide way up the pin close to the IC body.

Twenty minutes later I had a fully working Elements...

It was so easy to fix. Why did I wait so long to get a USB microscope?

Now, it's real easy to see if my soldering is good or not.. I double check everything under a microscope as I work and it is very reassuring.
I can't solder while looking at the microscope but checking joints after I solder is super fun.

This is a major level up for me.. When I read posts talking about microscopes in the past I was like, "yeah, I need one... I'll go and get one soon." But, time passes and a few modules get built and work properly... So, "meh".... Whatever... I would just postpone getting one.

So, I'll echo what has been said before. Go get a USB microscope! They are cheap. They work well enough. Some of them are super cheap crap. Find one with good reviews.

This is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNYXQHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_titl e_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm super happy with it and it is going to save me time and headaches...

thumbs up thumbs up

So true!

I think the correct magnification makes a complete difference.

I always wanted to do smd (since there were so many projects i wanted to try out)

I kept on postponing it for months. The size of this unsuccessful mutable builds post did not help much either.

I finally ended up buying the cheapest (or mostly) amscope microscope.
If you compare the price, which was something around 240 euros, to the time and troubleshooting it help you out with, i consider it a very reasonable price.

The first few times i tried soldering under a microscope i thought it was no go.
Now i do all the smd soldering under the scope, and i really enjoy it.

As someone also said, it really makes your soldering skill look bad!

So if it looks ok under the scope then its probably fine.

I have now build several smd projects, dont think i would have done it without proper magnification.

I read the problem with usb microscopes for realtime soldering is the delay problem related between movement and screen feedback.

Might not be everyones cup of tea though.

I should also mentioning that a number of wigglers have been super super helpful and friendly and have helped me out on the “programming side” of things.

Massive thumbs up to them!

This forum is great Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 106, 107, 108  Next [all]
Page 98 of 108