MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 106, 107, 108  Next [all]
Author DIY Mutable Unsuccessful Builds
Altitude909
^
did you make the bootloader and main hex first?
HybrisBehemoth
So after spending the rest of my day working on this in mounting frustration, I read this thread:

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/dev-environment-stopped-workin g-as-expected/13927/7

Since I´m a total noob I wasn't really sure what to actually do. So I decided to just... try changing some stuff that I felt were in the general spirit of the post above...
The text in bold is what I changed in the makefile.inc :

TOOLCHAIN_PATH ?= /usr/local/arm/

PGM_INTERFACE ?= ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h
# PGM_INTERFACE ?= ftdi/olimex-arm-jtag-swd
# PGM_INTERFACE ?= ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h

ifeq ($(PGM_INTERFACE),ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h)
OPENOCD_INTERFACE_SCRIPT ?= interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg -f interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg
else
OPENOCD_INTERFACE_SCRIPT ?= interface/$(PGM_INTERFACE).cfg
endif

PGM_SERIAL_PORT ?= /dev/ftdi-usbserial
PGM_SERIAL_BAUD_RATE ?= 115200
PGM_SERIAL_VERIFY ?= -v

I got the following result:

vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/eurorack-modules$ make -f warps/makefile upload
stmlib/makefile.inc:503: warning: overriding commands for target `upload_combo_jtag_erase_first'
stmlib/makefile.inc:487: warning: ignoring old commands for target `upload_combo_jtag_erase_first'
openocd -s /opt/local/share/openocd/scripts -f interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg -f interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg -f target/stm32f4x.cfg -c "init" -c "halt" -c "sleep 200" \
-c "flash erase_address 0x08000000 0x20000" \
-c "reset halt" \
-c "flash write_image erase build/warps/warps_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
-c "verify_image build/warps/warps_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
-c "sleep 200" -c "reset run" -c "shutdown"
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-05-21-07:13)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Warn : Interface already configured, ignoring
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "jtag". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
jtag_ntrst_delay: 100
none separate
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Info : clock speed 2000 kHz
Info : JTAG tap: stm32f4x.cpu tap/device found: 0x4ba00477 (mfg: 0x23b, part: 0xba00, ver: 0x4)
Info : JTAG tap: stm32f4x.bs tap/device found: 0x06413041 (mfg: 0x020, part: 0x6413, ver: 0x0)
Info : stm32f4x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
Error: stm32f4x.cpu -- clearing lockup after double fault
Polling target stm32f4x.cpu failed, trying to reexamine
Info : stm32f4x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
Info : device id = 0x10076413
Info : flash size = 1024kbytes
erased address 0x08000000 (length 131072) in 2.606689s (49.104 KiB/s)
Info : JTAG tap: stm32f4x.cpu tap/device found: 0x4ba00477 (mfg: 0x23b, part: 0xba00, ver: 0x4)
Info : JTAG tap: stm32f4x.bs tap/device found: 0x06413041 (mfg: 0x020, part: 0x6413, ver: 0x0)
target state: halted
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread
xPSR: 0x01000000 pc: 0xfffffffe msp: 0xfffffffc
auto erase enabled
wrote 262144 bytes from file build/warps/warps_bootloader_combo.bin in 7.020074s (36.467 KiB/s)
verified 138208 bytes in 1.384195s (97.507 KiB/s)
shutdown command invoked
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/eurorack-modules$

Not sure if that is a good result or not (again; total noob), specially since I still only have the powersupply and ICs soldered.
Suggestions; continue the build; redo anything on the mounted parts or try uploading in different way?
HybrisBehemoth
Altitude909 wrote:
^
did you make the bootloader and main hex first?

Yes, I did. It seemed to work without issues.

Yay: page 100 It's peanut butter jelly time!
xonetacular
Not necessarily unsuccessful but unfinished: I've got a DIY peaks populated already along with grayscale panel, rogan knobs, and usb firmware dongle. I don't have any euro any more to test it and haven't flashed it. PM me if you want it
forestcaver
Altitude909 wrote:
forestcaver wrote:
I use an olimex avrispmkii on a mac and have used it on windows.

If it currently works on a mac, then that's the route he should take. I can definitely confirm the Olimex does NOT work on windows anymore. Something changed in the last year or two. I had one as a backup that I only used for the VM and it stopped working on windows after an update. Olimex doesnt update it (i think 2012 was the last build) so its dead on windows.

If you are using the mutable dev environment, note that you need to change the fw. Also note that the version of avrdude in the mutable dev environment doesnt work with it - you need to use a patched version of 6.x or use 5.x.
Altitude909
forestcaver wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
forestcaver wrote:

If it currently works on a mac, then that's the route he should take. I can definitely confirm the Olimex does NOT work on windows anymore. Something changed in the last year or two. I had one as a backup that I only used for the VM and it stopped working on windows after an update. Olimex doesnt update it (i think 2012 was the last build) so its dead on windows.

If you are using the mutable dev environment, note that you need to change the fw. Also note that the version of avrdude in the mutable dev environment doesnt work with it - you need to use a patched version of 6.x or use 5.x.

Maybe. I had it up and running in the VM, put it away for a while and when I went to use it again it wouldnt run in the VM nor would it work in AVRstudio (after changing firmwares etc, it worked previously in both cases). Quick google search found pages of people having the same issue and at that point, I wasnt going to mess with it anymore.
Sikkboy
hey guys so I am trying to finish this project. I have the hexfile done but when I try to upload it via jtag I get this error. Any Ideas?

tmlib/makefile.inc:503: warning: overriding commands for target `upload_combo_jtag_erase_first'
stmlib/makefile.inc:487: warning: ignoring old commands for target `upload_combo_jtag_erase_first'
cat build/elements/elements.hex build/elements_bootloader/elements_bootloader.hex | \
awk -f stmlib/programming/merge_hex.awk > build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.hex
/usr/local/arm-4.8.3/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy -I ihex -O binary build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.hex build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.bin
openocd -s /opt/local/share/openocd/scripts -f interface/stlink-v2.cfg -f target/stm32f4x.cfg -c "init" -c "halt" -c "sleep 200" \
-c "reset halt" \
-c "flash write_image erase build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
-c "verify_image build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-04-25-22:20)
For bug reports, read
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Error: open failed
in procedure 'init'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'

make: *** [upload_combo_jtag_erase_first] Error 1

Thanks!
JakoGreyshire
forestcaver wrote:

Sliders - on all the sliders I have used, it’s not hard to take them apart to remove the ball bearing that implements the centre detent

Whoa, that is a cool thing to consider! Mouser is sending me replacements.. I'm not sure if I need to desolder the ones I put in yet... I'll see how it works out first...

forestcaver wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
forestcaver wrote:

It's starting to sound more complicated that it actually is, probably.. What I mean is, it does sound complicated! I can probably figure it out with help, though.. I'd really like to build the Atmega chipped MI modules so I'm gonna go for it...

I guess I'll need more info on the patched version of AVRdude and Mutable DEV with the changed fw.... (Firmware?)...

I've seen your Blog forestcaver is there more info there i can peruse?

Oh, here it is:

Quote:
It's worth making a note for the future about flashing them. I used an Olimex AVR-ISP-MkII. I had a real pain trying to get it to work on a Mac with avrdude in the Mutable dev environment. I tried it on a PC using Atmel Studio and it worked fine. I know I had to change the firmware for it to work with avrdude so I used Atmel Flip to do that which was straight forward. However avrdude still wouldn't read it. I saw that some people had had problems with avrdude 6 (used in the mutable dev environment), so I downloaded the avrdude 5.9 sources, installed the dependencies (usblib, yacc, etc) and compiled it. Hooray, it worked. Unfortunately avrdude 5 config file didn't have the m88p config. So I copied it from the avrdude 6 config and pasted it into the v5 config file. After that, it all worked trivially easily. To flash using the dev environment then use make as usual but pass the variable AVRDUDE with its location, eg "make -f branches/makefile AVRDUDE= bootstrap_all"

Sheesh... this will take me a bit to sort out when I actually get to that point...

Maybe I can find someone in Seattle that can flash these atmega chipped modules for me?

Thanks for the help everyone!!!
I might shoot some PMs around when I get further in..

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
HybrisBehemoth
Sikkboy wrote:
hey guys so I am trying to finish this project. I have the hexfile done but when I try to upload it via jtag I get this error. Any Ideas?

tmlib/makefile.inc:503: warning: overriding commands for target `upload_combo_jtag_erase_first'
cat build/elements/elements.hex build/elements_bootloader/elements_bootloader.hex | \
awk -f stmlib/programming/merge_hex.awk > build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.hex
/usr/local/arm-4.8.3/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy -I ihex -O binary build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.hex build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.bin
openocd -s /opt/local/share/openocd/scripts -f interface/stlink-v2.cfg -f target/stm32f4x.cfg -c "init" -c "halt" -c "sleep 200" \
-c "reset halt" \
-c "flash write_image erase build/elements/elements_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
For bug reports, read
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
none separate
in procedure 'init'

Thanks!

Looks very similar to one of the errors I got while working on this yesterday. Went away when I made the changes to the make-file (described above) to match the debugger I´m using.
JakoGreyshire
HybrisBehemoth wrote:
Sikkboy wrote:

-c "reset halt" \
For bug reports, read
none separate
in procedure 'init'

Thanks!

Looks very similar to one of the errors I got while working on this yesterday. Went away when I made the changes to the make-file (described above) to match the debugger I´m using.

Are you using the St-Linkv2?

I'm not sure it will help and you may have already seen this page but it helped me...

There are some export PGM_INTERFACE=stlink-v2 commands in this page that might help....

You might want to walk us through what you have and what your process has been so far..

https://medium.com/music-thing-modular-notes/how-to-get-started-writin g-your-own-firmware-for-mutable-instruments-clouds-a08173cec317
forestcaver
JakoGreyshire wrote:

It's starting to sound more complicated that it actually is, probably.. What I mean is, it does sound complicated! I can probably figure it out with help, though.. I'd really like to build the Atmega chipped MI modules so I'm gonna go for it...

I guess I'll need more info on the patched version of AVRdude and Mutable DEV with the changed fw.... (Firmware?)...

I've seen your Blog forestcaver is there more info there i can peruse?

Oh, here it is:

Sheesh... this will take me a bit to sort out when I actually get to that point...

Maybe I can find someone in Seattle that can flash these atmega chipped modules for me?

Thanks for the help everyone!!!
I might shoot some PMs around when I get further in..

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

Working out how to get it to work was a lot harder than doing it! Installing a different version of avrdude is pretty easy....
stekme
Hi. Try to upload firmware to Antumbra KNIT (Plaits)
On hands - ST-Link V2 mini (2x4 pins)

https://www.waveshare.com/st-link-v2-mini-stm32.htm
SWD voltage range 1.65V - 3.6V

It recognised under macOS,
I can create

make -f plaits/bootloader/makefile hex
make -f plaits/makefile

In folder builds new files created..

Problem with
make -f plaits/makefile upload

What I have now:

Quote:
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:/vagrant/eurorack-modules$ make -f plaits/makefile uploadstmlib/makefile.inc:503: warning: overriding commands for target `upload_combo_jtag_erase_first'
openocd -s /opt/local/share/openocd/scripts -f interface/stlink-v2.cfg -f target/stm32f3x.cfg -c "init" -c "halt" -c "sleep 200" \
-c "reset halt" \
-c "flash write_image erase build/plaits/plaits_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
-c "verify_image build/plaits/plaits_bootloader_combo.bin 0x08000000" \
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-05-26-18:16)
For bug reports, read
adapter speed: 1000 kHz
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 1000 kHz, using 950 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 1000 kHz, using 950 kHz
Info : clock speed 950 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v33 API v2 SWIM v7 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 3.248936
Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)
in procedure 'init'

Also already trying add

Quote:
export PGM_INTERFACE=stlink-v2
export PGM_INTERFACE_TYPE=hla

Not help.

I connect only 4 pins to board from ST-Linkk: RESET, SWDIO, SWCLK,GND.
On ST-Link V2 mini I set the jumper to 5V (not use VCC line).
But Module powered from eurorack bus power at the same time.

ps: When I trying lsusb, st-link is recognized.
Quote:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0483:3748 STMicroelectronics ST-LINK/V2
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Can't upload. No any LEDs activity on module when powered from only bus power. LED absolutely not active with power.

ST-LINK V2 mini been updated under windows with ST Utility to the current version.
Kind of ST-Link is: 0x3748 0x0483
Don't know - what I must write in makefile .inc -
PGM_INTERFACE = stlink-v2 (by default)
PGM_INTERFACE = stlink-v2-1 (already try it not help)

May be I need to use VCC 3.3V from ST-Link (where to cnnect?) and not use eurorack power bus to module?
JakoGreyshire
stekme.... I had a similar thing happen to me once... I tried a different USB port and it worked... also I'm not sure about the voltages but it makes sense to me to use the 3.3V instead of 5V because the voltage regulators on the PCB are 3.3V...

I'm sure someone else here can help as well... In my case I normally use the USB ports on the sides of my MAC keyboard. The time I had similar readouts as you did, I had moved my Mac around and plugged the ST-link into a different USB port on the back of my MAC... I switched ports back and it worked... I'm not sure why...?

On another note: My uBurst is finally working 100% WOOT!! I was talking with a friend of mine and I happened to mention my problem with it and straight away he said, to go into calibration mode twice. BAM! all fixed up...

It was that damn texture knob thing not working... I had read about it in previous posts here in this thread.. Input probe thingy? Right?
I don't know if I can find those posts talking about the probe thing...

It kind of makes me wish that each mutable module had it's own thread with top problems stickied to the top of the thread posting..

It would be a pain to go through this thread and parse it out to different threads particular to each different module...

Someone started a Plaits DIY thread.... That's cool...

Oh well, keeps us on our toes I guess...
stekme
Thank You, JakoGreyshire

I work with MacBook Pro 2018, that have 4 ports (usb 3.1/thunderbolt3 c-type). I use it with adapter type-c <-> usb 3 to use classic USB1/2 devices.
I try to connect to various usb-ports of Thunderbolt Dock station with usb 3, usb3.1 ports.
I already try ST-Link to all ports of macbook (type-c) and dock TS3+, and have ~3.22 ~3.26V with every port that I try.

Idea with calibration is interesting but in calibration mode - upper lamp must have indication.

Today I resolver all elemements on 2 pcbs. And this not help.
I have 3.24V in trying of build...

Also - not understand.
Antumbra KNIT has own KNIT.hex and KNIT_bootloader.hex
Not understand how to use it in same way with ST-Link V2
stekme
What I really not understand:
I forgot to power on my Eurorack case power ON. And run build upload.
And Vagrantt write same error target voltage: 3.24..
If add power to module pcb from Eurorack - same error...
Module not have any indications of LEDs..
now not understand about why add case power to module ant voltage in uploading not changed..

Also same result if I disconnect ST-Link and power bus of Eurorack case from module. In other words, when nothing connected to ST Link - same error with voltage when try upload
keninverse
Altitude909 wrote:

Maybe. I had it up and running in the VM, put it away for a while and when I went to use it again it wouldnt run in the VM nor would it work in AVRstudio (after changing firmwares etc, it worked previously in both cases). Quick google search found pages of people having the same issue and at that point, I wasnt going to mess with it anymore.

I'm experiencing the same
alexam
Hi, did someone tried the STM Discovery Value Line Model (STM32F100RB) I has a On-Board ST-Link (no v2) but I can't get it recognized (with lsusb) by the vagrant dev environment. Do I have to change the stlinkv2 in the makefile.inc? or should it work with that? - by the way im trying to upload the hex files to a MI Plaits (Beehive) via SWD.
forestcaver
alexam wrote:
Hi, did someone tried the STM Discovery Value Line Model (STM32F100RB) I has a On-Board ST-Link (no v2) but I can't get it recognized (with lsusb) by the vagrant dev environment. Do I have to change the stlinkv2 in the makefile.inc? or should it work with that? - by the way im trying to upload the hex files to a MI Plaits (Beehive) via SWD.

First I’d check you have set the usb port pass-through in the virtualbox console
alexam
i tried it over VM-Box instead of ssh over the terminal, when I activate the STLInk I get the following: Picture file

But I have to say that was after I tried it normally over the vagrant ssh, where the stlink wasn’t recognized. I activated the usb for the vm in the settings, is there another way? Also I read that a usb device can only get used by one system at time, what’s kinda logical but do I have to unmount it in the host OS? And if so .. how do I do that?
alexam
Ok, I switched over to a windows laptop with stlink utility. Short question bout that: when I build the plaits files, I get a ton of files in the plaits and the plaits bootloader folder. are the hex files which are in the two folders the only thing I have to load on the STM? Or do I have to compile anything before? Sry I have very low knowledge about that programming stuff ... confused here is a image with the files which I build with the dev environment: [/img]
cnicht
You just need to use the plaits.hex and bootloader.hex with the STlink utility.

Load the bootloader first followed by plaits making sure you’ve disabled erase before write in the utility.

That should get you there.
Altitude909
cnicht wrote:
You just need to use the plaits.hex and bootloader.hex with the STlink utility.

Load the bootloader first followed by plaits making sure you’ve disabled erase before write in the utility.

That should get you there.

It doesnt matter which order you program them, they sit in a different memory space. He has the combo hex so he should just flash that
jonovox
I've been building a few Mutable modules lately, and have had success with Yarns, Ripples, and Peaks so far.
Veils (the 0603 conversion) has been a bit of a different story. The +12V rail seems fine, and we get reference voltages from IC9(LM4040 on VCC). L1 (the resettable fuse) was getting incredibly hot, indicative of too much current being drawn on VEE. Pulling out L1 (probably a bad idea) and testing the current draw showed .7A. Yikes!! I also noticed the OP1564 on IC1 getting very hot. This lead to a wild goose chase where I suspected there was a short from VEE to ground, only to find that the schematic showed a diode in series with ground, so that can't be our issue. So now what? I'm at a total loss here...
alexam
Thanks guys! I got another short one: can i programm the Clouds via the jtag with the Discovery swd ... i read that swd is like a reduced jtag ...
stekme
HI, im back with my problem.
I buy original ST-Link V2. And try to connect my Antumbra Knit (Plaits) to ST-Link Utility.
Same problem - utility can't recognise my STM32 from module.. no any indications from module leds..
I use multimeter and check all lines of stm32 on board. It have working +3.3V, 3.3V. Also check SWDIO, SWCLK, RESET lines from SWD pins on board to stm32 pins.
Can't understand why ST-Link utility cant find target..
What can dead on PCBs that break to connect ST-Link utility to my stm32..?

I connect as shown there
[/img]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 106, 107, 108  Next [all]
Page 100 of 108