MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

workflow in the 200e aka modular feng shui
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author workflow in the 200e aka modular feng shui
ex_dead_teenager
how did you figure out the best arrangement of modules for your system? I just spent more time than I care to admit trying to re-arrange everything to make space for my final shipment of modules and I don't like it. I've had a string of frustrating experiences trying to get rack planner to work on my computer with no luck otherwise I'd share an image of what I've had to settle on. It feels like I went through a lot of serious aggravation for nothing because now when I patch with my system it doesn't "feel" right any more.

if anyone else has rack planner working on their computer and wants to help a brother out right now

in my top row I have (in this order)
a 256e, a 291e and a 266e and I'm waiting on a 207e

in my middle row I have
a Pendulum Ratchet, a 281e, a 292e and a 225e

in my bottom row I have
a 261e and I'm waiting for a 250e and a 259e

anyway that's the frustrating result of a bunch of modular moving if anyone here has any sage advice or could propose a better arrangement I could try I'd be very grateful.
dougcl
Here you go with recommended layout. Sorry for the black space. I am on a computer I am unfamiliar with, so you get it as-is. Perhaps I can help you get it working on your computer? Not sure what the issue could be.

amnesia
oh read the thread after the fact, but what the hell

this is the set up you need :-)
Its all about FLOW
amnesia
dougcl or should i call you patrick? what program are you using?
dougcl
amnesia wrote:
dougcl or should i call you patrick? what program are you using?

Hi it's Rack Planner, a freeware program I wrote. Bananaplug hosts a modules library. You can also make your own modules if you have a jpg. There is a subforum here for it with all the details!
Reed
But it's so much more fun to cut out little printed pictures off the internet and tape them to graph paper!

I like to go from the bottom to the top: Keyboards and sequencers in the first row or 2, then voltage processors, s.o.u.'s & specialty gadgets in the next row. Third row from the top is all the things that make sound, then a row of filters and mixers, and finally all the gates & envelopes on top.
xart
Umm...guys get your P/R next to your 266 so u can use the short bars!

How do u expect to pull off a Zakir Hussain solo with patch cables all over your system! amnesia knows whats up!

thumbs up
dougcl
Great. Okay, I suggest the mixer on the right with the 281 and 292 immediately to the left. Everything else comes from that. Audio id grouped around the mixer. I put the Midi up top so access to the connections on the back would be convenient. Other than that, knock yourselves out.

I wound up with a roughly diagonal arrangement in my 18 cab. Upper left is cv, lower right is audio. Second sequencer can be swapped out with a kbd.
ex_dead_teenager
Thanks Doug.

I don't think I'll be moving anything else around for a few days but I might just try your layout when I do

Amnesia I like your system I think I'll buy it as soon as I win the lottery.
amnesia
the best way to seem like yu have won the lottery is sell all the stuff you dont use anymore :-) You will be able to get a great Buchla.
The best part is once you get a 12wls system its not so hard to get a larger system over time
prscrptn
One problem I have always had with the 200e is finding the perfect location of each module.

The 291e is awesome to have right above the 292e...

The 077 needs to go with the 266e, 281e, 292e...

The 222e always seems to throw things off...

I like to keep the 210e centered...

Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
dougcl
Here's mine FWIW

ex_dead_teenager
for those of you without midi or a 227e (Doug) how do you deal with the big oval shaped holes in the back of the boats?

my 12 panel has the disconnected plugs for the 227e on the top and that's pretty great for covering that hole up but it means only really shallow modules can go over top of it I could take it off but I don't like the thought of dust getting into the circuit boards especially when I look at that hole.

also Doug, why do you like the 207 in the middle panel instead of say on the upper one?
dougcl
There are black plates that cover the holes neatly.

I like the mixer in the middle row so I can surround it with audio modules to minimize patch cord lengths. If you look at the audio jacks in my setup and in the one I suggested to you, they populate roughly the lower SE corner, and CV populates the NW corner, with a diagonal dividing them. The second 250e is in the bottom row where it can be swapped out for a 222e on occasion, if desired. The 210e is next to the 285e where they can be used together to create two more VCOs if necessary. I'm finding the 261e and the 297 play very well together, so they are on the same side. THe 291e is also a VCA and so it goes near the 292e as an alternative. On the far left is a CV engine, with 255, 256e, and 281e there to coordinate events between the sequencers. The 266e is both audio and cv and therefore is near the dividing line.
Lyonel
Would like to have the 222e Brain in the upper boat, because of the spatial sensor.
And a 255 / 256e between each 281e / 292e. lol

prscrptn
Lyonel wrote:
Would like to have the 222e Brain in the upper boat, because of the spatial sensor, and a 255 / 256e between each 281e / 292e...

Do it! thumbs up
Lyonel
prscrptn wrote:
Lyonel wrote:
Would like to have the 222e Brain in the upper boat, because of the spatial sensor, and a 255 / 256e between each 281e / 292e...

Do it! thumbs up

Cable too short between brain and plate ! (surrealist statement).
prscrptn
Lyonel wrote:
Cable too short between brain and plate ! (surrealist statement).

d'oh!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1