MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Old Blood Noise Endeavors
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Old Blood Noise Endeavors
Futuresound
^^^ the guys in their technical demo videos *are* the makers.

They have lots of other videos where they get musicians to play with their pedals, but the main demos are by the people who make them.
Futuresound
Regarding the expression out: I contacted OBNE, and they confirmed these are just normal expression jacks. They feel 'expression out' is as valid a term as 'expression in'. I've since seen a couple of other pedal manufacturers use this term too, much to my surprise.
Infinity Curve
Strange logic, as it's an INPUT seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks for the confirmation though, was worried I was missing something.

In other OBNE news, the Black Fountain is bad ass!! Really nice tone, can't get enough of the vintage mode.
Bonefish67
idk but it looks like the OBNE peeps is having a lot of fun making those vidz. i wonder if saying something is hipster is now hipster..just kidding folks.... hihi
Northward
Futuresound wrote:
^^^ the guys in their technical demo videos *are* the makers.

They have lots of other videos where they get musicians to play with their pedals, but the main demos are by the people who make them.

Ok, let me refrase that: I want to hear from the makers, sober in a daytime setting. No beer drinking, mumbling "musicians" allowed hihi

I love the creative sounds I've heard from the pedals, but I've read quite a few guitarists forum postings, rapporting of noise problems...
Now sure, noise does not need to be a problem in the right places. But can anyone confirm or deny there's technical problems in use.

Thanks.

Edit: I just saw another OBNE demo with interessting sounds, -and a pretecious nonsensical text... MY GOD I HATE HIPSTERS!!! Dead Banana
Infinity Curve
I don't find them overly noisy, although you do need to watch your input levels a bit, they clip fairly easily when pushed. I'm mainly using wth synths though so ymmv.

The Reflector was a bit noisy and cut a lot of low end, so I returned it, but the Darkstar, Mondegreen and Black Foutain are keepers for sure.
Northward
Infinity Curve wrote:
I don't find them overly noisy, although you do need to watch your input levels a bit, they clip fairly easily when pushed. I'm mainly using wth synths though so ymmv.

The Reflector was a bit noisy and cut a lot of low end, so I returned it, but the Darkstar, Mondegreen and Black Foutain are keepers for sure.

Thank you :-)
Any sounds to show us with synths?

The likes of OBNE and Death By Audio make some interesting stuff that I wanna test out on my cheepo 1980 organ for kicks grin
MindMachine
Northward wrote:
trickness wrote:
Love their pedals, own a couple, but their cliched hipster demo videos get me thinking about hammer parties

Hahaa! Really dig that Dark Star, but watching their increbible moronic hipster videoes, I felt like...

I want to hear from one their makers, not some random beer drinking unfocused bearded hipster twat!!! Jeeesus how annoying!!!!

I feel reluctant to support a company with this type of marketing. Alternatives to a Dark Star are wellcome, thank you. (yup! I've been in the Military hihi )

^ Your compulsory service aside, I would concentrate on the pedal over the low key videos. Like I ignore car ads but still drive a car. Your band sounds nice and tight!

I hope to score the Dark Star in the next couple of weeks and will give some feedback (so to speak!) on how it platys with synths. All of the demos I've seen are on guitar.
Infinity Curve
I will try and post some examples soon, problem is, I'm generally using them in chains, with a Cocoquantus, feedback and serge involved, so not the best demo of individual pedals, other than 'yup, it's in there'

Maybe today I will just do some stuff with each pedal with my Sh101, run some simple sequences through them and adjust knobs, the black fountain in particular sounds really nice wth the 101
Northward
Nice! Look forward to hear your demoes on synths thumbs up

I'm about to make me a small pedalboard with these types of effects.
Love me a dark sounding space drone and these boxes seem to deliver. Effects units that obscure the lines of traditional categories are refreshing, (no matter how cringeworthy the marketing I guess).

I don't get the love for the Mondegreen.. but then again I haven't heard it on synths.

Guitarist reviewing pedals often seem ignorant to the need to know about the option of a 100% wet signal. I guess most of them want to hear their dry signal. Not beeing able to kill dry is a dealbreaker for me. Like with the beatiful sounding Météore from Caroline. I would've been all over that one.
Futuresound
Kill dry please!!!!!
Northward
Futuresound wrote:
Kill dry please!!!!!

hihi Amen!
Northward
Infinity Curve wrote:
I will try and post some examples soon, problem is, I'm generally using them in chains, with a Cocoquantus, feedback and serge involved, so not the best demo of individual pedals, other than 'yup, it's in there'

Maybe today I will just do some stuff with each pedal with my Sh101, run some simple sequences through them and adjust knobs, the black fountain in particular sounds really nice wth the 101

Hi

Any closer to a demo? :-)
Infinity Curve
Nope, I'm the worst, sorry. Dead Banana

Just wanted to report back after some more time with the darkstar. Its noisy as fuck. I tend to make noisy music, so I hadn't really noticed it, but I had something more subtle going the other day, with a flanger after it, and I'm noticing this noise sweep, and at first I though it was a grounding issue somewhere or something as had just moved things around. Sure enough, it was the bloody darkstar. Loaded up the spectrum in ableton, and it's a huge spike at the 10k range. I can roll it off with an eq, but thats not ideal. No noise from the black fountain, little bit with the mondegreen, but nowhere near as bad as the darkstar. Wondering if the procession is just as noisy.

Any other darkstar owners noticed this? I've tried with isolated supplies and no different.
Northward
Infinity Curve wrote:

Just wanted to report back after some more time with the darkstar. Its noisy as fuck. I tend to make noisy music, so I hadn't really noticed it, but I had something more subtle going the other day, with a flanger after it, and I'm noticing this noise sweep, and at first I though it was a grounding issue somewhere or something as had just moved things around. Sure enough, it was the bloody darkstar. Loaded up the spectrum in ableton, and it's a huge spike at the 10k range. I can roll it off with an eq, but thats not ideal. No noise from the black fountain, little bit with the mondegreen, but nowhere near as bad as the darkstar. Wondering if the procession is just as noisy.

Any other darkstar owners noticed this? I've tried with isolated supplies and no different.

Aha..
I've ordered the dark Star and I'm pretty excitied to try it out. I do hope this noise is a pleaseant or interesting one, and not just an unwanted noise that makes this pedal a hassle to record with.
I'll get mine in the near future and give my opinion. Thanks for rapporting back thumbs up
Infinity Curve
Like I said, I didnt even really noticed it for a while, but once I did and looked at it on the spectrum, it's a big pronounced triangular spike in the upper spectrum

I'll post pictures
Bonefish67
Infinity Curve wrote:

i wonder if yours has an issue? i have used mine in quite a few of my recent recordings and i have not noticed any extra noise. on a side note, it is sensitive to incoming audio levels and can get pretty harsh if you let it...
Infinity Curve
Let me look at it again this weekend. Will report back with findings
MindMachine
Just got mine. No noise here.

I used on Euro synth and now bass.

I have it Aria Pro II Cardinal 380 bass>Golden Cello pedal>Dark Star >Ampeg VT-22 and it sounds like a chorus of monks.

Droney moving goodness.

(edit - confirmed by wife. Does sound like monks.)
smetak
Sorry for upping this rather old thread on OBNE.

After hearing and reading a good deal about their boxes, decided to get both the Dark Star version 2 and their latest, the Flat Light, which is glued to the Timeline's looper.

Here's a shot of the set up:

Found the Dark Star crystal clean - absolutely no issues in regard to noise - and, man, what ambience! In-your-face thick sonic wave! Really loving it!

Also very happy in substituting an old Earthquaker Grand Orbiter for the Flat Light - using it on the resonance mode and getting some very wild sounds from the Time Line.
OIP
the dark star is amazing. also i don't know what they have done by way of preamp and gain around the FB-1 generally, but it definitely adds something (at the very least a chunky volume boost). on guitar anyway it's actually a great enhancer, for synths you have to watch the input levels quite a lot.

all that aside, the sounds and atmosphere out of it are just fantastic. turn a simple mono into a broken down robot orchestra.
Northward
Northward
Erase me
Northward
Syntax Error
Northward
Erase me
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2