Good solder deals...

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

K9Mike
Common Wiggler

Good solder deals...

Post by K9Mike » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:28 pm

If you've priced solder recently, it's fairly shocking how much a 1lb spool costs these days.

For anyone looking for the solder that Blacet recommends, I found a couple really good deals:

Kester "331" water soluble rosin ... $7 / 1lb spool (it's $39-$45 at Mouser) at this gentleman's Ebay store: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kester-1-LB-Solder- ... m153.l1262

Looks like he has 2 rolls left. He ships super fast as well.

As for Kester "245" No-Clean solder, I bought a lot of 3 spools to get it cheap, but there's no way I'd ever use 3lbs, so I have 2 spools of .020 dia available for $9/spool + shipping.

There's also a few ebay auctions for "245" for cheap, but in larger diameter sizes.

Always remember to check the diameter of the solder before purchasing. While .031 is probably the most common, I've found that thinner diameters are easier to work with, since it melts more quickly and you can 'meter in' amounts more precisely.

Anyway, if you're looking for solder, fortunately there are currently a few reasonable options before going 'full retail'.

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:12 pm

thanks for the tip! i picked them up. leaded solder is going the way of the dodo.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:46 pm

i'm not sure how many more projects i'll be able to get out of my 1 spool of clean and 1 spool of no clean. i really want to start being very future minded in regards to diy.

the plan is to grab up as many pcb's that interest me, then standard bulk components, rare components next and finally more solder.

that's not including some improved tools and few extras i don't have yet.

geeeeeeeeeeez. :(
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:24 pm

I should probably stock up more leaded solder too, with the goddamn ROHS thing in EU I think they're going away even faster in here.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:18 am

:bang: Damn you, consumed :mad:
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:39 am

neandrewthal wrote::bang: Damn you, consumed :mad:
literally! :lol:

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”