MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Amps for Live Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Amps for Live Modular
cluster
What do you guys use for amplification with your modular rig when performing live? I've had a Fender Bassman 200 for years that i've been using but its starting to shit the bed and i'd like to upgrade. I'm trying to decide between getting a nicer head/cab arrangement or a PA. There are some obvious differences between those two setups that i'll have to consider... i was curious what you people use. Also for a PA does anyone have suggestions for something on the more economically minimal end of the spectrum? Homer Simpson Skate or die!
bf
cluster wrote:
shit the bed
Nothing to add aside from that I love this phrase.
sandyb
there are a few suggestions in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3356
fluxmonkey
i use a pair of mackie srm450s. i demoed a number of similar (brought some CDs of me playing with me to guitar center, they thot i was from jupiter), those the freq response and clarity of those blew away everything else i tried. they are loud.

any guitar amp is likely start to shit the bed if you feed synth-level signals into w/out some severe attenuation/impedance matching... what were you using to match the levels?
krelnarb
I was privileged to see "magic smoke" emit from a 4x10 bass cab when abused by an Arp Odyssey. Melted L-Pad.

I've used my Boogie (MKIII, (2) 1x12) without a hitch, and it sounds awesome. But then again, I don't gig much nowadays sad banana
dude
i have a very precise system of hoping that whatever club i play at can handle the beast very frustrating also sold all my amps to fund modules hihi
Fnord
bf wrote:
cluster wrote:
shit the bed
Nothing to add aside from that I love this phrase.

And I thought I was the only one who used this method for getting rid of girlfriends. Mr. Green
VinceL
I have a Motion Sound KP-200S stereo amp with the matching SW-15 sub cabinet. This setup really lets the modular shine...good highs and awesome lows. And, with its angled front, it does create a stereo soundfield.
tuj
Fender kx100 keyboard amp sometimes, but usually club PA or better yet, Klipsch reference series and sub at home.
felix
Guitar amps are really cool, but they add a lot of character and different shape to the sound. Bass combo amps tend to be truer to the input source, plus, BAAAASSSS. A lot of bass combos now tend to have built in compressors and some FX which can sometimes add that little bit of extra punch to your sound.

Keyboard amps are great too and *usually* have more full range than a bass combo amp, but I find they tend to be fairly low powered and less featured compared to bass combo amps of equal price. Likely because there are more bass players that need amps than there are keyboard players that need amps.

A PA would probably be ideal (stereo!), but big ones are not as easily portable, and small ones don't cut the mustard at all in a modestly large place, especially when it comes to the bass frequencies.
nickciontea
Hand wired 59 bassman!!!! hyper
clorax hurd
hi everyone SlayerBadger! (my first post in here)

I would like to get a combo (or head + cabinet) for my modular, so i'm doing my research to know what to look for. are you guys maybe able to record some samples of your amplified modulars in a basic way (well placed sm57 is fine) and upload?
Where I live, there are not many shops where they sell good amps, and I am also not sure, if they would let me come there with my modular synth and connect it to amp that is supposed to work with guitar or bass. Fortunately some friends have guitar combos and they would probably let me try them, if I promise i won't break them.

also, how do you connect the synth into the amp? will i need to match the impedance somehow? there is line level signal in eurorack modular patches, isn't there? will i need a reamp box to make it similar to guitar signal?

anybody maybe tried to use Blackstar Series One combo? I quite like the many options there, to shape the sound, but i'm not sure how it would work with synth, and nobody is selling it here so i could test.

krelnarb wrote:
I was privileged to see "magic smoke" emit from a 4x10 bass cab when abused by an Arp Odyssey. Melted L-Pad.

I've used my Boogie (MKIII, (2) 1x12) without a hitch, and it sounds awesome. But then again, I don't gig much nowadays sad banana

uh oh eek! what exactly do you mean by "abused"? is there anything i should avoid, so i won't see the smoke?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1