MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frac pots
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Frac pots
gnombient
I'm planning to build the Oakley Little-Lag processor as a 1-space Frac module (maybe with a set of 4 mults underneath if I can make them fit). What kind of pots do you guys use in your DIY Frac projects? 9mm? 16mm? Can someone recommend some decent pots that don't have those little side-tongs like the Blacet ones?

Maybe I should have posted this on the general DIY board, but since it's Frac-specific I'm posting it here instead...
Adam-V
I use ALPHA 12mm Potentiometers on my Frac panels.

Cheers,
Adam-V
panda30y
It all depends on many things such as your panel spacing, as there are some modules that work with either 12mm or 16mm pots. What type of knobs you are using? To determing shaft size (1/4"?) or shaft type (knurled, round, D shaped). Of course ultimately cost is also a factor as to how much you are willing to spend per pot. The alpha pots are very common, and very well priced and perform very well. Bourns I think are generally recognized as very good pots, but are much more expensive. Many of the other named brands a good as well, it's just a matter of finding what you want. The blacet pots are made by panasonic i believe, and they feel great to me and I haven't had issues with them yet.

I believe the termination you are looking for is solder lug, as the blacet pots appear to be pcb mount/through hole.
gnombient
panda30y wrote:
*snip*
I believe the termination you are looking for is solder lug, as the blacet pots appear to be pcb mount/through hole.

Since this is my first real foray into DIY module building, I'm planning to hew as close to the Blacet design as possible where I can -- following his panel diagram, using Rean knobs, and -- as you suggested -- solder lug pots of similar specs as the Panasonics used by Blacet. Thanks for your help, any other suggestions you guys can make would be appreciated!
gnombient
I'm sorry, I have a couple more Frac pot questions. Please pardon my noob ignorance... confused

If the original parts list calls for 100K pots, would I need to match that resistance value with the smaller ones? I assume the answer would be "yes," but I just want to make sure. (BTW, Blacet's Panasonic pots are 50K.)

Looking through the list of pot options on Mouser, I find myself wondering wha'st the difference between "lug" and "solder lug." Anyone?

Thanks for your patient wiggling wisdom!
panda30y
I don't think that there is a difference between lug and solder lug.

And yes you should match the resistance value if possible. Also, try to get the correct tapered pots. Audio (log) pots behave differently in terms of their resistance curve than linear tapered pots. You can use either or, but Audio(log) tapered pots tend to behave control audio volumes better than linear as they follow a more natural curve to our hearing. Linear you would generally use for control parameters outside of audio levels. Either are exchangeable and perfectly fine, but they will just behave differently.
gnombient
panda30y wrote:

And yes you should match the resistance value if possible. *snip*

Thanks, that helps a lot. Should I approach tolerance the same way? If the parts list calls for a 20% pot, do I need to match that as well?
werock
I'll think you'll find most standard pots are 20% tolerance, unless you go for something more expensive. I haven't seen anything bigger than a 20% tolerance.
panda30y
20% is pretty standard. You really shouldn't need anything with a higher tolerance, unless you really want to know you have that precise precision at a premium. Most gear you'll buy will probably only have 20% tolerance already, and it's a non issue in my opinion to get anything better for modular synthesis.
clusterchord
im also going into some frac DIY, more accurately im having my tech build things... i plan to modularize my SEMs and add some nice yu-synth pcbs.. like s7h-lag etc..

im a total newb when it comes to shafts, diameters etc.. so, i really like the Davies 1900H knobs like found on Serge and many Euro modules like Wiard/Malekko etc.. what type of potentionemeter am i looking for, that will fit Davies ?

thanks.

BananaPlug
For the commonly available Davies 1900 clones you want 1/4" round shafts (a.k.a. 6mm). The D shafts have a flat spot which may or may not be helpful for aligning the knob depending on how you need to orient the pots. FYI, Davies knobs for 1/8" shafts also exist.
fluxmonkey
and while off the topic and onto davies knobs... smallbear electronics has clones of davies knobs at abt 1/3 the price.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1