MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ALM Pip Slope
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ALM Pip Slope
anselmi
I´m about to get another Maths to use mainly as (clycling) envelopes but a bit of extra space would be great to add some other utility modules, so maybe 2x Pip Slopes could be better

but I can´t find any experiences or comparisons with other envelopes

I like snappy ones and I know Maths inside out, but maybe 2 Pips are enough to cover my needs and left room for other stuff
mdoudoroff
I love ALM—just bought an O/A/x2 which I’m quite impressed with. Pip Slope looks outstanding. For what it’s worth, I spent the last several weeks agonizing over the available function generators and in the end I went with Make Noise Function modules (to accompany my Maths and two Pittsburgh Envelope modules). Why? Flexibility. hang, the ability to actually process external voltages, and above all, EOR and EOC trigger outputs. That stuff is just plain useful.
hinterlands303
I've only had mine for a few weeks but I'm digging the Pip Slope. It sits right next to Maths in my rack for easy cross modulation. If you really only need dual AD envelopes then I think 2 pip slopes could do the trick for you. Also, it's pretty snapy to my ears - I've been able to get some nice percussive stuff out of it.
insula
i have both, and i love both. but pip slope is a single Maths ch in 4 hp, but i can not replace my math with another Pip slope, maths do a lot of thing by itself that pip slope can not handle.
diasporos
Two pips bracing Maths (also linked with an SSF PTG) is what my setup has. Really powerful when you integrate them. Two thumbs up for dual pips they do good percussion. I love them through the circuit abbey VacVac.
scozbor
Pipslopes are high on my radar too. but the gate outs of the MN Function are very appealing. A second maths is also extremely tempting!
erstlaub
I've got a dumb but beautiful dream of a pair of pips and a pair of O/As as a more or less laternative to Maths but that's for another case/day/wallet.
Summa
I got a Pip slope and I like it but if you need more control I'd recommend Circuit Abbey's AdsrJr perhaps with the expander later on.
anselmi
Summa wrote:
I got a Pip slope and I like it but if you need more control I'd recommend Circuit Abbey's AdsrJr perhaps with the expander later on.

I owned one and don´t like it...for some reason it never delivered the knd of sounds I expected to...in the other hand when I used Maths or Envelators I got different but satisfying results seriously, i just don't get it
Dogma
anselmi wrote:
I´m about to get another Maths to use mainly as (clycling) envelopes but a bit of extra space would be great to add some other utility modules, so maybe 2x Pip Slopes could be better

but I can´t find any experiences or comparisons with other envelopes

I like snappy ones and I know Maths inside out, but maybe 2 Pips are enough to cover my needs and left room for other stuff

Man I just sold my Maths - Im gonna grab 2 functions as I love the Maths whip but Im totally in love with the WMD mini-slew....has anyone tried it? A definite must look at if your after an alternative....
pugix
Reviving this thread with a couple of questions.

I just bought four Pip Slopes. I also have Maths and M.I. Peaks. Like them all.

I found a technical issue with the Pip Slope. I wrote the following email to ALM/Busy Circuits:

Quote:
Hello,

I have just purchased four Pip Slope modules. They appear to be working
normally. However, when I view their output on an oscilloscope, I see a
large signal (5 volts in size) that rides on top of the DC offset of the
main signal, with period of about 1 microsecond (1 MHz). This is seen
on all four, except that on one of them the amplitude is smaller. I am
confident in my test setup, because no outputs from other modules in the
same rack show any HF like this. This reading makes it impossible to
get a good picture on the scope of the Pip Slope's envelopes.

I am disappointed to see this sort of parasitic oscillation on the Pip
Slope output. It seems quite clearly to be an engineering defect. I
would like to know if you can replicate this with any of your new
stock.

Have any of you with Pip Slopes looked at the output on a scope?

Second issue: Neither of ALM's email addresses work. (service@busycircuits.com, info@fbusycircuits.com). How can I contact them?

http://busycircuits.com/

Thanks,
hinterlands303
This email worked for me a few months ago:

info@busycircuits.com

The one you listed has an "f" in front of the web address portion, so maybe that's the problem?
shreeswifty
i ultimately chose the ADSRJr, it cycles and has more control IMHO
pugix
hinterlands303 wrote:
This email worked for me a few months ago:

info@busycircuits.com

The one you listed has an "f" in front of the web address portion, so maybe that's the problem?

Yes. I must have made a typo.

In any case, NEVER MIND. Seems to have been a wrong setting on my scope probe. very frustrating
noisejockey
I, too, have Maths, Pip Slope, and ADSR Jr (and a Z4k). Each has its strengths, but I like the Pip Slope as a (no insult intended) dumb AR EG. Slim, simple, no muss, no fuss. Also thin on other features like end of rise/cycle triggers, but for 4hp, whatcha whatcha whatcha want?

I think it's a great way to add AR EG's in small amounts of space, but not a Maths alternative.
justin3am
I just received my Pip Slope and I find it is very useful. Works well for percussion sounds. I like that it has independent Trigger and Gate inputs. I would have liked an option for a 0-8v output range but it's not a big deal. I like that the attack and decay controls act as attenuators when something is connected to the CV inputs, it's ideal for my purposes.

I have 2x Maths and Tides in other systems but this packs a lot of functions in a small space, so I have it in my 6u rack.
deltaAquarii
i put the pip slope to my system, and even i dont connect the out to anthing, i immediately get e very high freq (quite silent, but there) „ring“ for every env / cycle of the pip slope on the output of my vca/filter ( manhattananalog ma 35)

i use frap tools Silta power.

anyone an idea how i could solve this?
Summa
deltaAquarii wrote:
i put the pip slope to my system, and even i dont connect the out to anthing, i immediately get e very high freq (quite silent, but there) „ring“ for every env / cycle of the pip slope on the output of my vca/filter ( manhattananalog ma 35)

i use frap tools Silta power.

anyone an idea how i could solve this?

The MA35 is notoriously noisy and pick up LED cycles and other things in many systems. Does the Silta use a switched power supply without grounding? Then you'll need a new psu for your case.
deltaAquarii
thanks summa.

the silta hast the original power brick.
so it would be the same with a function as eg? actually i'd like to stick with this little config.... all the other modules dont interrupt the ma 35. kermit & uclouds also gotlights on them.. hm. or can i "kill" the led on the pip slope to solve this. i dont need the led...?
Summa
deltaAquarii wrote:
thanks summa.

the silta hast the original power brick.
so it would be the same with a function as eg? actually i'd like to stick with this little config.... all the other modules dont interrupt the ma 35. kermit & uclouds also gotlights on them.. hm. or can i "kill" the led on the pip slope to solve this. i dont need the led...?

Well you can try but I doubt it will be any significant difference between function and pip and no I wouldn't "kill" the led on the pip, it's a lovely little envelope I use mine all the time.
deltaAquarii
yes, i think its nice too...
but i wanto get rid of the noise ringing. and if the loose of the yellow led would solve this.... then. i wont swap the ma 35 for the pip slope....
damn... the eowave zone bf led'S also dont interfer with the ma 35....
Summa
deltaAquarii wrote:
yes, i think its nice too...
but i wanto get rid of the noise ringing. and if the loose of the yellow led would solve this.... then. i wont swap the ma 35 for the pip slope....
damn... the eowave zone bf led'S also dont interfer with the ma 35....

well, not sure if it make any difference if you kill the LED itself, it might just get interference from the pip anyway and the LED just indicates when that happens. Another thing would be to check on the draw of your racka and see if you're reaching the limit OR move around the modules to see if anything changes, OR just get a better psu and be done with it.
deltaAquarii
ok. thanks again. think about getting rid of the idea of this little thing (system int he 60hp moog case....)
crookedtapes
It really depends on what you modulate with that EG/function generator.

Maths/Function generate higher voltage than pipe slope when it used as triggered/cycling mode.
deltaAquarii
it happens without modulating anything. think about getting another case now...
(Although i liked this little 60 hp voice idea..)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2