MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FMR RNLA
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author FMR RNLA
computer controlled
Anyone use these? Looking at something to throw on the inserts of my mixer's main outputs for live sets. But it needs to punch and add some extra something to the mix. I read a lot of posts about this being "gooey" and punchy, sounding beefier than the RNC.

Thoughts?
plord
I think you would be happy just based on your choice of words to describe what you want. The RNLA definitely has a bunch character that the RNC lacks. You can set up an RNC so it almost vanishes, especially in "really nice" mode. Not possible with the RNLA, it is always adding a little something. I hate to use the word "warm" but...yeah, the little bit of...saturation?...on the compressed bits definitely warms the sound of anything going through it.

I don't know about punch or gooey-ness, those are settings things to me. You can get it to pump and breathe for sure. It's not a stunt compressor like a Distressor or anything but you can definitely use it to shape things in an obvious "I am compressing and coloring you now" way. I liked it on drums a lot, didn't like it on *my* voice but I didn't know shit about vocal processing, EQ, mic handling and stuff, when I had the RNLA.

Plus they're still pretty inexpensive, all things considered.
plord
Totally forgot who I was talking to.

You and your acid live set and all that Roland-y gear? Fuck yes, the RNLA will work for you. I am sure of it.
computer controlled
Ha, I'm sold. Thanks smile
rew_
the husband/wife pair who run/are the company are exceptionally pleasant people. helped me with a repair, really took care of me even though my unit was secondhand.

fyi.
computer controlled
I've heard good things about them. Seems like a really good company.
limpmeat
I just got one a couple of weeks ago.

My initial tests are pretty good so far. Sounds a lot better than the internal compressor on my Analog RYTM.

I wanted to use it as an insert on a bus as a drum compressor, but it turns out my mixer won't allow that :(
IR
plord wrote:
You and your acid live set

Yeah, that'll work, I've used it on the whole mix, but also on the Volca Bass to get rid of unwanted volume jumps when turning the controls live.
Hainbach
I use it on my livesets, too. Two gripes are that you need to tape the wallwart connector down as it sits loosely and that the knobs are really delicate for the low light situations. But I usually just set and forget it when playing.
computer controlled
yeah, i figure i'll just find the sweet spot and keep it set to that.
Hainbach
During one live show I had this massive pumping groove suddenly going on an I wondered "How did that happen?". Then I saw that I was driving the RNLA really heavily, it sounded great! I was actually asked by some heads about that sound later on.
dreamtrak
I have one of these, definitely recommend it. Nice characterful squish. I also used it for quite a few years as a vocal compressor and it worked great - it was paired with a DAV BG1 which was super clean so I could get a bit of character in with the compressor. Had it for 5 years and it's still going, never had a problem, solidly built!
booksy
Ah perfect timing on this thread...been looking at inexpensive compressors for live techno stuff. Thought about going for an old DBX but I like the idea of something new and really nice.
pskept
Hainbach wrote:
During one live show I had this massive pumping groove suddenly going on an I wondered "How did that happen?". Then I saw that I was driving the RNLA really heavily, it sounded great! I was actually asked by some heads about that sound later on.

really heavy as in lots of gain reduction?

i just got one of these myself. happy with the sound so far. i'm running it with about -2b of gain reduction so pretty mildly.

edit: no one has mentioned that this thing goes to 11!
Paranormal Patroler
Yeah hihi they state it on the manual.
pskept
edit: sigh.
AdamJay
I HIGHLY recommend that anyone with an RNLA or RNC invest a few bucks to give it a passive high pass in the side chain filter loop.

It takes away all the gripes that folks have with these compressors and bass frequencies, and makes it a much better product for musical styles with critical low frequency content.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electroni c-music-production/1050097-tuning-fmr-audio-rnc-techno-hpf-sc-loop.htm l
Paranormal Patroler
Let me try to tackle what that post means here: the sidechain of the RNC/RNLA actually acts as an FX loop so using a Stereo Y cable it will output the precompressed signal which you can pass through an EQ and then return as sidechain information? So in essence you can have band specific compression?

Nice to know. I am was aiming to do something similar, take the mono mix out of the Fusion Mixer and pass it through an EQ so that I get one specific band which I'm gonna send to the Sidechain in.

Band specific sidecompression is super nice!
AdamJay
Correct.
With a 100hz passive high pass in the side chain FX loop, the compressor will not be reacting to anything below 100hz.
It will still compress those frequencies, it compresses all frequencies, but it won't use those frequencies when determining the dynamic content and how to react to it.

Just like the HPF on an SSL Bus Comp or derivatives there of.

You get nice even compression/limiting that doesn't react differently during a breakdown as it does when the beat is blasting.
noisejockey
*drags the RNLA out of the closet, wonders where the power supply is*
Navs
I've just got a RNLA and have been surprised (disappointed?) at how clean it is. How do I get the colouration that FMR and other users say it imparts? Are they referring to the compression or actual distortion? Or is it source dependent?

I'm actually trying to warm up a digital synth, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with this box.
AdamJay
Navs wrote:

I'm actually trying to warm up a digital synth, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with this box.

Wrong tree, probably.
Deco or Analog Heat would be better suited.
Paranormal Patroler
AdamJay wrote:
Navs wrote:

Wrong tree, probably.
Deco or Analog Heat would be better suited.

Hello dear Navs! I have to say Hainbach is the person to talk to about this, he suggested the RNLA to me for that purpose and that's my compressor since then (at least for the time being). I also use the Deco after it and that's what adds "warmth" to my digital signal; it's great. I'm also adding a tube mixer to the equation both of which (the Deco and Tube mixer) add their own kind of compression to the mix: Deco adds typical low/high end compression that tape is known for and Tube mixer also does a bit of side compression when bass is introduced.

Long story short, I haven't managed to push the RNLA to the extent where I can hear it imparting warmth to my sound but one idea I intend to try is using the sidechain with a Y cable to filter out the low end and have it compress only the mid-high part of my sound. Keep in mind that I only know the gist about compression - it's not an area I have much experience in. Still, the RNLA is supposed to be very colourful and I do trust Hainbach's ears in that area. He has one, he might be of assistance.
Navs
Thanks, guys. I'll check out the Deco - but is that not a digital model? Seems like the wrong approach hmmm.....

I have the RNC too and find that it can distort in a way that is great on rock drums and the like, the John Bonham thing. The RNLA seems better at jazz drums and coping with bass.

AdamJay, thanks for your posts on using a sidechain EQ to combat bass issues with these compressors. Paranormal Patroler, I tried this yesterday: what this does is set the frequencies that get the compressor working, so not quite as you describe. e.g. I got something interesting going with a bandpass to start compressing on each snare drum hit of a mixed drum part.

But I've read so many references to the sonic colour that the RNLA supposedly imparts (gooey, milky, sizzle) and I'm not hearing it. That's why I wonder if it's down to the source material. Or maybe the opto-style enveloping i.e. the softening of transients?
Paranormal Patroler
Navs wrote:
AdamJay, thanks for your posts on using a sidechain EQ to combat bass issues with these compressors. Paranormal Patroler, I tried this yesterday: what this does is set the frequencies that get the compressor working, so not quite as you describe.

I was thinking that if you got the bass out of the way, maybe the compression to the mid/high material would be more prominent, and hence more coloured. Again, not my area of expertise, still messing around with the settings a lot trying to discern the results on a complete mix as a way of educating myself around compressors.

By the way, once you settle down on specific devices to use, messing around with the settings, the line-up, etc, is such a great way to grow accustomed to what each device can add to the setup. I've failed to find when compressors add glue to a mix, although I do know why and how they're supposed to do it. Maybe it takes something other than the RNLA to achieve this warmth people claim can be part of mixing with a bus compressor that's colourful ... seriously, i just don't get it

PS: The Deco's saturation is very nice, even if created in the digital domain. But I only care whether something sounds like I want it to sound and not whether it's analog or digital itself. I'm really happy with my Deco, it's right at the end of my live setup chain.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2