GateStorm - Prototype showing at KnobCon (Gate Generator)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, lisa, luketeaford, Joe.

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

GateStorm - Prototype showing at KnobCon (Gate Generator)

Post by Rick Burnett » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:43 am

Finally, after a year and a half of development in conjunction with SSF, it’s time to announce the first Erogenous Tones module, GateStorm. You can check out the fully functional prototype at KnobCon this year, I will be sharing a table with SSF.

There will probably be a few hardware/software tweaks on the final production version, however, you can try out all the features as everything is fully developed. This module was born out of necessity from performing a show with my modular and really wanting some capability that did not exist at the time.

If you want to learn more, you’ll have to stop by and say hi.

Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE Available Now!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:58 am

Won't be at KnobCon but looking forward to seeing more of it.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:59 am

would love more info online. the name makes it sound cool and your short story of how it was conceived makes it appealing

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:23 pm

damase wrote:would love more info online. the name makes it sound cool and your short story of how it was conceived makes it appealing
After we get back from KnobCon I plan on writing up some proper information about the features and capabilities of this module. Suffice to say it is designed to be very simple or very complex depending on what you want to do with it.

I will say there were three driving factors that went into developing this module; space, capability and inspiration. Nothing like being on stage and wanting to do something you can't as being a driving force for creating something new! Haha.

I'm also a big fan of visual feedback, so expect lots of that!

etherline
Wiggling with Experience

Post by etherline » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Unless that picture is a mockery of a mockup I can see some very interesting clues. :tu:

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 pm

etherline wrote:Unless that picture is a mockery of a mockup I can see some very interesting clues. :tu:
Haha! That is a picture of the actual prototype in there. :) I had to give SOME clues!

gde
anti-zarzutzki

Post by gde » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:14 pm

Not in the market for a gate generator, but I do like the sound of erogenous tones... :fap: :fap: :fap:
LOL

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:47 pm

gde wrote:Not in the market for a gate generator, but I do like the sound of erogenous tones... :fap: :fap: :fap:
I just love the fact i decided to call my company Erogenous Tones and.....my first module doesn't make tones :) But the second module, that one will make tones, I promise!

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:29 pm

Looks intriguing... yet another thing I need to check out when I hit knobcon :party:
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

wellurban
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wellurban » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Rick Burnett wrote:I just love the fact i decided to call my company Erogenous Tones and.....my first module doesn't make tones :) But the second module, that one will make tones, I promise!
Gates can make tones if they're fast enough!

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:58 pm

wellurban wrote:
Rick Burnett wrote:I just love the fact i decided to call my company Erogenous Tones and.....my first module doesn't make tones :) But the second module, that one will make tones, I promise!
Gates can make tones if they're fast enough!
Fair enough! I know I've made my share of tones with the Propagate before. :)

wirelesswine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wirelesswine » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Ok. I am interested. Looking forward to updates!

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:53 am

Update: Now that MIIIIX is shipping I can finally share that I wrote the firmware for it. Even better, I will have a MIIIIX at KnobCon with the expander that allows me to automate turning the mutes/solos on and off.

While I was writing the firmware, this was just after the show where I came up with the idea for GateStorm. Once I got to using MIIIIX, a lot of the features I started designing were SPECIFICALLY for working with it. If you are not aware, Andrew Morelli came up with these pretty awesome analog detection circuits that try and find the zero crossing of a signal going through the mixer. If this happens within a specific time, the controller will synchronize both solo and mutes to happen at those crossings.

I had other mixers that had mute automation without zero crossing detection so I was able to compare the performance of not having it, then compared to what the MIIIX implements. The difference is amazing. We spent a long time tuning both the analog and digital sections of this to try and get the best balance of performance vs detection accuracy.

Be sure to come check out both!

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:49 pm

any update? :cloud:

DerHeinrich
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DerHeinrich » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 am

SkoPe wrote:any update? :cloud:
Saw this fly by in the Muff Wigglers Facebook group:

"Reality is whatever refuses to go away when I stop believing in it"

https://soundcloud.com/derheinrich-1
my drone project: http://nullvoidorder.bandcamp.com/

READYdot
controlled by voltage!

Post by READYdot » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:36 am

Uuuuuuh! That looks so AtariST Tracker like! Lovely!

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Haha, I love all the people who said it was similar to a tracker, which was funny, because some of the first electronic music on a computer I heard was from trackers. I will NEVER forget this ultra Depeche Mode mega mix tracker I found once, so awesome.

Updates! Thanks everyone who came by to listen to me talk about it, people were really excited to see it and I wish I had some to sell when I was there! Right now I have forwarded the designs to manufacturing and we are working on all the changes required for pick and place work. We will be putting together one final prototype to make sure the design works for manufacturing. We are really close and hoping only a few months to get it out the door.

Code wise after some feedback I've been rewriting some of the CV system to make it even more flexible (and less complicated). Once that code is solid, I am going to do a write up of all the features in detail. I will also start working on a few prototype videos so you can see it in action.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Love me some tracker sequencing. Can't wait to see how this module works!

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Wow, that thing looks way intense!! Very excited to see a rundown of this guy.
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

RickyT
Common Wiggler

Post by RickyT » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:40 pm

gaaahhh.. i want to see more of this! sadly its only been less than a month :deadbanana:

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Will be demoing the early prototype of Gatestorm at Machines in Music this weekend!

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:00 pm

The final prototype is at NAMM with SSF, if you are there, be sure to check it out and play around with it. It is 99.9% functional. (Meaning, given I was working till like 4am in the morning for a bunch of nights in a row getting the firmware done, you might find a bug somewhere!) Haha.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Just saw the NAMM video and I have to say I am impressed. From a UI the screen layout is a mess, but the functionality alone will make it worthwhile. The movement looked extremely fluid so I'm on-board and very much interested.

Could I have a number on the maximum pattern length as well as HP size? I can't believe the people who make the NAMM videos don't ask questions (apart from Sonicstate)
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Just saw the NAMM video and I have to say I am impressed. From a UI the screen layout is a mess, but the functionality alone will make it worthwhile. The movement looked extremely fluid so I'm on-board and very much interested.

Could I have a number on the maximum pattern length as well as HP size? I can't believe the people who make the NAMM videos don't ask questions (apart from Sonicstate)
It's 24hp. IDK about the second one
Last edited by MATSmile on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatrixModulator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MatrixModulator » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Just saw the NAMM video and I have to say I am impressed. From a UI the screen layout is a mess, but the functionality alone will make it worthwhile. The movement looked extremely fluid so I'm on-board and very much interested.

theres a video of the gatestorm online?
ImageImageImage

Return to “Eurorack Modules”