MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A-124 WASP noise..not the good kind
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A-124 WASP noise..not the good kind
Turboblast
Love the filter but the thing makes noise even when the level attenuator is all the way down, Q, cutoff ..everything all the way down.. Have a newer mono rocket 9u case and power and everything is dead silent except for the wasp (and a dub jr. but thats another story). even the r-54 is quieter.

It almost sounds kind of like digital interference and funky hiss. ruins recordings...

the funny thing is, when there is nothing patched into it, I can sweep the cutoff and it filters the noise.

Is this the nature of the beast or some kind of error?
dongle thief
yeah i just got a A 124 vcf 5 wasp filter, nice and dirty sounding filter. think its a good little module for the price.
not sure about the noise issue, strange that with the level pot down it still makes noise. has it just come about or has it allways been present?
nectarios
I had this in 2003 it was probably the noisiest filter in my cases.
Although what you're describing sounds like you got a lemon.
Turboblast
Not sure if it just started happening or if the noise has been there since I got it a few months ago. I only just stated noticing it when I got into a really minimal ambient patch where there was a lot of silence between elements..

nectarios noisy as is fun and funky or "noise floor" noisy?
nectarios
Hiss. Didn't sound like digital interference as you described, just noise.
Its didn't stop me from using the A-124 a lot but it was not my go to filter for low pass duties in silent parts of the track.
scottmetoyer
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm having the exact same issue with my A-124. Did you ever figure out the problem?
MAXTHEDOG
Hi Scott,
Theirs a good few threads around here about Wasps that are either poorly or just plain dead. Mines died twice and has been resurrected twice. Basically it means finding which chip has packed in and change it. They're all in sockets and they're all as cheap as chips. Just search A-124, Wasp etc you'll soon find what you need to know.
Regards,
MTD.
cptnal
Good to know. thumbs up

What tool/technique do you use to identify the dodgy chip? I'm on my second Wasp and don't have a clue about electronics. zombie But I can work shit out given a nudge. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Summa
I recommend the ADDAC 705, Stingy filter, all the wasp awesomeness but way more functions than the a-124. Guinness ftw!
scottmetoyer
MAXTHEDOG wrote:
Theirs a good few threads around here about Wasps that are either poorly or just plain dead. Mines died twice and has been resurrected twice. Basically it means finding which chip has packed in and change it. They're all in sockets and they're all as cheap as chips. Just search A-124, Wasp etc you'll soon find what you need to know.
MTD.

Cool, I have a few CD4069UBE and NE5532P chips coming in next week.

I turned it on this morning and it was totally dead - no sound at all. Pretty sure at least one of the chips was on its way out and died this morning.

Thanks!
Monotremata
cptnal wrote:
Good to know. thumbs up

What tool/technique do you use to identify the dodgy chip? I'm on my second Wasp and don't have a clue about electronics. zombie But I can work shit out given a nudge. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Take it out of the rack and look at the ICs. More than likely the bad one will be cracked in half or worse.. As was said though, they're all socketed, its a simple fix for anyone to do. Takes a couple minutes to pop out the old one and plug in a new one. I wonder if Dieter was looking ahead when he designed it and foresaw this happening so they made it easy to service? Im sure even the original EDP Wasp had the same problems, those were notorious for falling apart in general, not just the filter.

The original "digital interference" problem, isn't the WASPs usual way of being problematic. That to me sounds like a power supply issue, and its picking up digital noise from another module on the same bus. Same thing happens when I plug my Line 6 DL4 into my daisy chain power supply I use for my pedal board. The board is quiet as hell, until I use it to also power my DL4 (I got tired of carrying the DL4s extra brick power supply with me). You can hear the digital clocking noise. Its not bad or anything and of course once Im playing my guitar you cant hear it anyways, but once you stop there it is.

When the Wasp goes, it just goes. Sometimes you get magic smoke coming out of your case when it happens, sometimes they just blow and you get no indication why its not working anymore.
cptnal
Monotremata wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Good to know. thumbs up

Take it out of the rack and look at the ICs. More than likely the bad one will be cracked in half or worse.. As was said though, they're all socketed, its a simple fix for anyone to do. Takes a couple minutes to pop out the old one and plug in a new one. I wonder if Dieter was looking ahead when he designed it and foresaw this happening so they made it easy to service? Im sure even the original EDP Wasp had the same problems, those were notorious for falling apart in general, not just the filter.

Cool, thanks. thumbs up
scottmetoyer
Monotremata wrote:

The original "digital interference" problem, isn't the WASPs usual way of being problematic. That to me sounds like a power supply issue, and its picking up digital noise from another module on the same bus. Same thing happens when I plug my Line 6 DL4 into my daisy chain power supply I use for my pedal board. The board is quiet as hell, until I use it to also power my DL4 (I got tired of carrying the DL4s extra brick power supply with me). You can hear the digital clocking noise. Its not bad or anything and of course once Im playing my guitar you cant hear it anyways, but once you stop there it is.

Interesting. I have a Moffenzeef Muskrat in there too and was noticing it also seemed noisy. I emailed Moffenzeef and they said the VCA in it was lo-fi and to expect some bleed. I'll take it off the bus and see if it helps. Thanks for the idea!
Monotremata
scottmetoyer wrote:

Interesting. I have a Moffenzeef Muskrat in there too and was noticing it also seemed noisy. I emailed Moffenzeef and they said the VCA in it was lo-fi and to expect some bleed. I'll take it off the bus and see if it helps. Thanks for the idea!

Its a pretty distinct sound when my DL4 does it to my pedal board. I think its picking up some sort of digital clock pulse. Its a constant rhythmic sort of weird digital static going on, almost like its picking up some alien transmission haha. I kinda like it though, my "guitar based" music is pretty much machine noise rock anyways, I think people would expect that kinda crap outta me to begin with so I just leave it. It sure beats having to haul that big ass Line 6 brick around with it too.
charonme
I've just been preparing for a performance for a couple of days and my wasp started doing this right now. The noise has a somewhat "digital"-like feel to it and it's changing as if there was slow random modulation of LP filter cutoff. Otherwise it works properly, the noise isn't even that loud.
LOL just before I went to record it, the noise fell completely silent... well if I amplify it strongly there is a hint of something, but not worth recording. The filter seems to be working fine now
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1