MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Solderers! Can you help identify this contraption?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Solderers! Can you help identify this contraption?
bensaddiction
Does anybody know what this device is called/where I could find one?

This device is how I like to work, place the components then use a piece of foam on the component side, flip and solder.

However, I have a build with 3 identical boards coming up and was looking into a Panavise etc system but I don't like bending through-hole leads and using tape or something else seems like a bit of a compromise.

Has anybody used one of these?
Neutron7
http://www.ideal-tek.com/catalogue/electronics/circuit-board-holders/c ircuit-board-holders/pc-board-holder-pcsa/
JohnLRice
Called a PCSA Circuit Board Holder

http://www.all-spec.com/products/382-000.html

http://www.all-spec.com/downloads/all-spec/382-000_121213s.pdf

sduck
What don't you like about bending leads? You've got to bend them anyway to get them to fit. It's alway seemed liked the easiest way to stuff boards to me.
andrewF
I have 2, am happy to sell you one. They need new foam but otherwise are okay. pm if you want.

Also have a machine for bending resistor leads, you just feed them in on a belt and crank the handle.
qp
sduck wrote:
What don't you like about bending leads? You've got to bend them anyway to get them to fit. It's alway seemed liked the easiest way to stuff boards to me.

Personally, I try to keep everything as straight as possible. The reason is if I need to swap a part, it comes out with ease. I've blown out pads trying to get parts out that were bent too much. Espcically LED's.
qp
andrewF wrote:
I have 2, am happy to sell you one. They need new foam but otherwise are okay. pm if you want.

Also have a machine for bending resistor leads, you just feed them in on a belt and crank the handle.

If OP doesn't take your offer, I will. Also, do you have a link to the resistor bender? I fucking hate bending those things! One of those would make my like so much easier (main reason why I design my personal PCB's SMT.)
andrewF
not exactly this model, but similar -

These ones are cheaper tho hihi

Also Element14 stock PCB assembly jigs
limpmeat
it's like a gatling gun, awesome.
davebr
qp wrote:
Personally, I try to keep everything as straight as possible. The reason is if I need to swap a part, it comes out with ease. I've blown out pads trying to get parts out that were bent too much. Espcically LED's.

I'm old school. I bend the parts on a Christmas Tree (officially called a lead bending set). I stuff the parts in the holes and bend the leads. I solder one lead, straighten the other and solder it. Then I resolder the first lead and straighten it out. It takes very little time and the leads are straight. I don't like them bent over where there is limited clearance to the adjacent run.

Dave
bensaddiction
I PM'd you Andrew.

I don't really like the bending method because:
    I find that diodes & resistors even if bent often have the odd one sticking up after being flipped without a backing support. Not every time but its enough to get annoying

I agree that desoldering can be an issue and cause holes to be pulled

I'm also looking to populate three living VCO boards all in one hit and like the ability to line up multiple boards and power through.

I also am a bit OCD with resistor bending and cable stripping so I grabbed one of these during the kickstarter:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt5jpGTncLs[/video]

Stress free tool
Rowan
I own/use one of those PCB jigs, it's one of the best tools I have every owned.

The one I have can take larger boards but other than that it's identical, I can't recommend them highly enough.

I recently stuff a Yocto 808 using one of these (about 1000 components) and only had to flip the board a couple of times to solder it.
AlanP
If you don't like bending leads, then I suggest using blu-tack to hold the parts in place when you flip the PCB to solder smile

Blu-tack is also magic for holding jacks at the right angle, and LEDs, and other assorted componentry that can go walkies if left to their own devices.
bensaddiction
@AlanP:

I agree that blu-tack etc can be useful before flipping a PCB. I just think a piece of foam can be even better.

The bit that can't really be replicated easily is when you stuffing multiple boards at the same time and need to have them all elevated for through hole component insertion.

I could do without the whole contraption I guess if I could find one frame that would let me lock multiple pcbs together like in the PCSA
mOBiTh
I tend to just load up a pcb and solder from the top, before flipping and soldering from the bottom (if necessary). This gives a good finish on both sides and doesn't take too much longer with a bit of practice.

That wind through resistor lead bending machine - NEED MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Graham Hinton
bensaddiction wrote:
Does anybody know what this device is called/where I could find one?

It is an Ideal-Tek PCB Assembly Jig and they and spares are available from Farnell/Element 14. The catches wear after a lot of use and should be replaced to prevent the lid popping off and all the components falling out as you turn it over.

Rowan wrote:
I recently stuff a Yocto 808 using one of these (about 1000 components) and only had to flip the board a couple of times to solder it.

Parts should be stuffed in order of height. If you mix heights before soldering the foam will bridge over the lower height parts and they will drop.
davestrength
That thing looks awesome...but pricey! There's a few cheaper ones on ebay, but still expensive.

I love the idea though. I'm going to have to makeup a diy version. Maybe just a foam backed piece of aluminum and some small clamps.
neil.johnson
There are hand-held lead benders, like this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-lead-cutting-forming-equipment/05451 09/

I have the bigger bench top machine at home: http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/tools/pm1.htm

If you're patient you can score them for a lot less on eBay than the new price (best 50 quid I've spent in a long time!)

Neil
xonetacular
bumping an old thread

I've decided on a PCSA, just not sure which size to get and if I need a PCSA-2 or PCSA-4. Does anyone have one and can tell me some exact measurements of what size boards they will hold?

The PCSA-2 is listed as a work area of 510mm x 220mm. Now there is a horizontal piece in the middle, will it hold two 110mm high boards or is that only for a single 220mm board without that piece?

Also for some reason from pics/vids it looks like it would hold more than 220mm (8.66"), is that accurate?

Otherwise I would need the PCSA-4 at 510x350mm which looks kind of unwieldy and big for smaller projects and is more expensive. It would be nice to work on some decent size boards in pairs though.

edit: nevermind found that data sheet and it explains the size configurations, https://www.ideal-tek.com/public/doc/PCSA-leaflet_Ideal-tek.pdf

can anyone confirm if the max height of the pcsa-1 and pcsa 2 really only 220mm on two 104mm boards? it looks bigger than that in all vids/pics I see
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1