MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer A-101-6... not sure what to think
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer A-101-6... not sure what to think
Turboblast
I watched the video below (which progressively gets more bizarre in parts 3 and 4)

Seems like a vactrol type distortion like the borg that can be mixed wet/dry i think.. But also has feedback in/out.. Im somewhat puzzled.

Has anyone used this filter or have any demos or clarification to share?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsf7nTXDhYw
gloomnox
Case and patchcables were top notch in that video! hihi
Turboblast
there is a part 2, 3, 4 also on youtube, and he brings out what he denotes as the "spaghetti stick".
robbert
Hm, did you read the description on the doepfer page? Pretty complete, isn't it?
mharpum
Points for originality! I am boring and use normal cables and put my modules in a case. He needs a patent on that spaghetti stick, or perhaps design ones that can self turn, one per finger then call yourself Edward wigglehands.
Dcramer
I wish that filter had filter-type switching on the front!
IR
is he wearing a bath robe?
ghg
I think the hand is wrapped in bandages instead of a bathrobe, but part of me's wondering if it's just some crazy sense of aesthetics. No case, patchcables that may have originally powered a refrigerator, and a DIY cast on the arm. We've all got our quirks.
XponentOne
Hey, I once recorded a quite nice (well, I thought so at least) electronica jam on my elektron - excitedly uploaded to youtube to show my mate... who pointed out I was in my boxers and my buttons undone - little XponentOne occasionally popped into display throughout (was sunday morning - I get dressed for noone and nothing before 1pm dammit)... nuff said, I took it down pretty quick XD
XponentOne
But back on topic - I echo dcramer, nearly pulled trigger on this filter till I saw mode wasnt switchable. Hate pulling apart my case for anything other than adding modules tbh.
Endorfinity
XponentOne wrote:
But back on topic - I echo dcramer, nearly pulled trigger on this filter till I saw mode wasnt switchable. Hate pulling apart my case for anything other than adding modules tbh.

that's possible i guess. You'll need:
- minimum of 4 hp for breakout panel
- 3 x 4pdt switches. each switch will toggle two (of six) stages between HP or LP / AP1 or AP2
- 3 dpst switches for switching between HP/LP or AP1/AP2
- LOTS of wiring

I wonder how the module will sound if for example two stages are in LP mode, two stages are in HP and the last two are in AP1. will it be possible to achieve some strange filter curves? Maybe somebody can try hihi

After the demo I'm not sure whether I should get this modules. It goes into unpleasant mess with even slightly pushed feedback, this is not what I want from phaser. Also high pitched saw is not the best source for that kind of demo. More demos please.
Turboblast
robbert ya but I guess I'm looking for real world user feedback before I buy. Sweet spot, low end respose, noise floor, quirks etc... I'm replacing a main filter and want to know what I'm getting into.. And the spaghetti stick demo just kind of made it harder..

Couldn't a 4 position ( or at least 3 position) switch be put on the front panel where the printed key is, then just wire it to the jumpers? I'm Not really a diy guy but seems reasonable.

Not to hijack my own thread but im either going to get this quirky filter, or an elby Steiner... Anyone have any experience with that one?
robbert
Funny how everyone here now wants mode-switching since it was first planned to have this on the panel, gate switchable even if I don't dream, but it was the decided no one would be interested in this very frustrating I didn't get it... very frustrating

C14ru5 has one and posted a phaser shoot out here, maybe contact him ...
Endorfinity
Turboblast wrote:
Couldn't a 4 position ( or at least 3 position) switch be put on the front panel where the printed key is, then just wire it to the jumpers? I'm Not really a diy guy but seems reasonable.

no. read my comment above.
Turboblast
Endorfinity seems like you could at least find some jumpper combo that a simple switch would work with. However the manual seems to say you have to adjust the feedback trim on the back every time you change modes.. so no bueno
C14ru5
Here's the link to the thread with the A-101-6 recorded in all-pass/phaser mode, in a shoot-out with other Doepfer phasers:
Doepfer phaser shoot-out

I also shared a clip of the A-101-6 in LP and HP filter mode in post#5 in this thread:
Doepfer A-101-6 Opto Fet Filter Demo

Phaser
As a phaser, I think the A-101-6 sounds just fine, but personally I prefer 2- and 3-stage phasers which don't have the multi-peak resonant character that phasers with 4 stages and more have. But that's a question of taste.

Filter
In filter mode, the A-101-6 sounds incredibly sweet. It's really practical to have the open feedback path, so you can get voltage controlled resonance by using VCA, or can go crazy and patch a phaser into the feedback path, etc. And unlike a majority of other HP filters, the HP mode is able to close into complete silence, which is very convenient.

DIY mode-switching
I'm going to try this. I've gathered the proper switches and jumper cables for this, but I'm not looking forward to the task of connecting all 48(!) jumper cables and soldering them to the correct switch terminals...

Resonance level calibration for LP/HP
In my view, this calibration is only necessary if you want the self-oscillation to sound sweet and well-behaved for a single mode. If you leave the filter calibrated for LP, HP becomes more sensitive to the resonance knob, and the self-oscillation is obviously clipping heavily inside of the filter. If the filter is calibrated for HP, LP will not go into self-oscillation. But if you're like me and usually use lower resonance settings on your filters, I prefer simply to find a trimmer setting that sounds good in both modes, and leave it like that.
BitReduction
came for the filter, stayed for the spaghetti stick poke
EATyourGUITAR
Necro bump. I require demos of 101-6 as a phaser processing white noise, digital noise, square waves and shit like that. Preferably with a sine or tri LFO into the CV input. Other modes might be useful also. There are not enough demos of this online processing noise.

I'm thinking about pairing it with a trogotronic 676 or maybe 3 plague bearers. Maybe a jomox t resonator. Maybe a Lyra 8 into A101-6?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1