MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modding the MPC 3000 with a Winstar LCD screen... possible?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Modding the MPC 3000 with a Winstar LCD screen... possible?
Grimbog
Hi guys,

Firstly I'm gonna have to say I'm not an electrical engineer by any standard! I'm looking to see if its fairly easy to swap out the LCD screen on the MPC with a modern equivalent? Is there anything specific I should watch out for (voltage requirements etc)? Recently I've been upgrading my samplers in the studio, these include the Akai S950, Akai S5000, and Akai MPC3000.

One of the minor gripes I have is with the backlight I bought for the MPC (bought from mpcstuff.com)... it helps, but I'm finding the screen is still dim and is ultimately still reliant on the inverter board. Eventually these will diminish and are not on market so people tend to rip them from other non-working machines when it fails.
With the Akai S950 I was lucky enough to buy a new LCD screen that used a modern LED backlight and is MUCH crisper. The closest I could find for the MPC 3000 was a "Winstar Graphics Display (240 x 64mm)" and I'm curious to know what peoples thoughts are on this? The details are here: http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Winstar-Graphic-Displ ay-Negative-Blue-Mode-240-x-64mm-White-LED-Backlight-57-2284

My hope is that I can solder a connector on there but not sure how different the controller chips are between this and the MPC 3000.
jhulk
no wont work the akais use a special controller and are 4 bit screens

the s950 uses a standard controller hd type controller and you can fit oled displays

the mpc3000 uses the same screen as the s3xxx series and mpc60 and are custom diplays as is the controller chip but you can fit the new type flat led strips and can do away with the invertor and use a 5v supply for them
they come in meter strips but once cut are no longer any good these are smd types on a paper ribbon

there are now also ink jet printers that can print circuits on paper or card and you can glue on smd leds so there are lots of options for the back light
Kurt.Koolbrain
Grimbog wrote:
Hi guys,
My hope is that I can solder a connector on there but not sure how different the controller chips are between this and the MPC 3000.

jhulk wrote:
no wont work the akais use a special controller and are 4 bit screens

the s950 uses a standard controller hd type controller and you can fit oled displays

The MPC3000, as well as a whole host of other AKAI devices from the era, use the now discontinued Sanyo LC7981 LCD Controller in graphic mode. https://www.crystalfontz.com/controllers/Sanyo/LC7981/246
In the MPC3000 & MPC60 The LC7981 is mounted on the I/O board. The displays used don't have the controller onboard.
Finding a suitable modern replacement isn't likely.

BTW: There is no difference between S900 and S950 LCD.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1