MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Secret Weapons Revealed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Secret Weapons Revealed
D_Bowman
Obviously they will no longer be "secret", but I thought a thread discussing some tricks/gear that feel like "secret weapons" would be fun. I guess a more specific definition of secret weapon would be using a device for something other than its intended or expected function. One of mine would be the Marantz PMD 222 cassette field recorder. This thing is a great effect with its ability to monitor the tape live and tweaking input and using the limiter, it has a wide variety of uses. Also the thread on here about using it as a tape delay. Great little box with many different functions!
flo
Yeah, the PMD222 makes a great tape delay. The built in limiter helps a lot.

Nevertheless, my secret weapon is the RE201 hihi
sonicwarrior
Record a texture/drone on cassette. Then record something directly over it, e.g. drums. Now you can still here a bit of the texture/drone in the background mixed in with the cassette noise. Can be very atmospheric.
stk
I made a plugin called C-90 which makes anything you run through it sound like a very dodgy old cassette playing on an old portable tape deck left out in the rain for three weeks. I have to struggle not to run everything through it.

You can hear it in action (on the guitars most noticeably, but other mix elements are also treated) on the two preview tracks for this album: http://store.terminalsoundsystem.com/album/dust-songs
Zon
I mess around with the 'playback speed' option in my DAW way more than i would care to admit. It can alter sounds in suprising and often very cool ways. I gather sounds and play them back 4x as slow or twice as fast, and see what happens. Or duplicate a drone and have one play slightly slower, you can get amazing results really easily.
MindMachine
Casio Harmonic Synthesizer - through most any guitar pedal and then through a Behringer Spectrum remake and into a small graphic EQ to tweak the tone.
Or just through an EH Graphic Fuzz and an analog delay or Echorec.
Or just through a Bitrman. Or just through EH Ravish Sitar. edit - or the Joyo ACtone - awesome controls but needs a noise gate after it.

It is the never mentioned best part of the Casio SK-1 - well that and the dual digital sequencers on the SK-1.

The Harmonic synth is so impressive through various pedals, I have three.
GhostlyMostly
I use the Cocoquantus in almost every track I do anymore...
Being possesed by the degradation of sound signals its my secret wepon along with using a tape recorder to overdub again and agin to get faded results hihi
tron23
VSS-30, love it's AD/DA and pitch algorithm!
Richard Wilder
I bought a Roberts reel to reel at a second hand shop for $40, I intended to use it to record to tape before transferring to daw. It has two channels each with multiple tubes per channel, and something is funky/off about the one channel. I have no tape for it, and have only used it either, a. To warm things through the good channel or b. to destroy things, mostly drums through the off channel. It is the heaviest distortion in my arsenal, can turn anything into a square wave. hihi I can't bring myself to fix it as it's instant destruction. On a side note, when I first saw oldboy, I went nuts when in the reveal scene, the reel to reel they use is the same one I have, stupid but fun.
felixer
Zon wrote:
play them back 4x as slow or twice as fast

8x up or down is about the limit if you don't want to end up making music for bats or whales hihi i have an old 4speed uher tapemachine i used for that. recently i found this program called 'spear' http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/ it does stretching so the pitch stays the same, only speed/time changes. easily 100 times slower and it still sounds good w00t

another trick is use is 'random echo with holes'. grm tools shuffler originally, then a tc fireworx, more recently a mutable instruments clouds module. the idea is to use a lot of echo without everything drowning in it Mr. Green
hyena
spear is a wonderful tool, his graphic representation of resynthesis is brilliant!
there is also a not so known bundle of plugins (mac audio units only) called AIRWINDOWS i strongly suggest to check
felixer
hyena wrote:
spear is a wonderful tool, his graphic representation of resynthesis is brilliant!
there is also a not so known bundle of plugins (mac audio units only) called AIRWINDOWS i strongly suggest to check

alas, running vista and win7 here Mr. Green but i heard good things about paulstretch too. still have to check that out. very happy with spear atm w00t and clouds too. added a dual joystick module and it's hyper
La Machine
hyena wrote:

This. Also, check out Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch. The "HyperStretch" mode may stretch audio up to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times (10^18)
La Machine
EDIT: oops double post. Sorry!
D_Bowman
I think the Behringer VD400 is a good one too. Often overlooked, it's great for degrading audio with its direct out. There's some simple tweaks you can do to it if you open it up (which I'm yet to do).
noisejockey
Michael Norris' Soundmagic Spectral plugins are on 50% of my tracks.
Zon
noisejockey wrote:
Michael Norris' Soundmagic Spectral plugins are on 50% of my tracks.

They really look great but i just can't seem to use them subtle. They just more or less warp my tracks to a point where i can't recognise anything.
Buckage
I love using the Norris stuff behind the source it's being applied to. I print the effect and scoot it back into time with the original track. Creates a ghostly image of the original. Really great on strings and piano. Also have had some great results with big drums going through the Norris dronemaker plugin.
lich
i run a lot of finished songs into an old emu 6400 ultra sampler and clip it slightly to add really amazing saturation and slight compression. its great!
smithknows
I have a bunch of secret weapons... For real.

I'll share one. EHX Black Finger on the drum buss.
Buy 2 for stereo I you're nasty Dead Banana
oisin
just to keep this thread going; the new ableton m4L pack from cycling 64 is pretty great - have used them on some tracks recently...https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/free-max-7-pack-cycling-74/
tron23
smithknows wrote:
I have a bunch of secret weapons... For real.

I'll share one. EHX Black Finger on the drum buss.
Buy 2 for stereo I you're nasty Dead Banana

w00t This dives into the process of how the thing is actually being used and not the thing itself ..certainly more interesting but noone will reveal those .. hihi
leeski
lich wrote:
i run a lot of finished songs into an old emu 6400 ultra sampler and clip it slightly to add really amazing saturation and slight compression. its great!

yes this is great with a E64 too, brings a crunch to drums loved my emu

CARLSBRO MANTIS silly delay thing & rough

Peak 5 strecthin & tuning & harmonic rotating & convolving
Black Medicine
Michael Norris' plugins definitely qualify as secret weapon material. Also, for software tools, EQ8, Operator, and Saturator are unsung heroes. For synths, Evolver, and the Q's sequencer.
Infrablue
Love the Michael Norris stuff. I also do often layer it back on with the original. Brilliant algorithms.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7