MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Visual Cortex and LZX VSG
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Visual Cortex and LZX VSG
DSC
Curious, I hooked up the legacy sync cable to my Visual Cortex and the LZX VSG. Are both of these outputting sync? Is this why they are not seeming to sync up? I see where you can set the VC as master and have done so, but it still has basic sync issues just even outputting the color bars from the VSG to the VC. Any info or help is greatly appreciated.
nerdware
I don't think the legacy sync cable will work like this. The VSG can't be set to sync via the cable, can it? I don't think the VC can be synced that way either, but I don't know. AIUI the VC only syncs via the RCA inputs. I've not yet used the sync bus on the VC, but I might try that next week when I rearrange my modules.

So I suggest you sync the VSG and VC using the composite out from the VC to the composite input on the VSG. You could also use the VSG as an extra video input if that signal is somehow genlocked to the VC. You'd need an external genlock device to do that, of course.
DSC
I think I see your point. Any chance I could modify the sync cable coming out of the vsg and put a rca connector on it and feed it to the 'sync in' on the VC?
i.m.klif
this is how i connected vcg and cortex and it worked. i was able to use both video inputs with two genlocked cameras. color bars outputs were synced as well.

i will have to check how i configured dip switches when i get to the studio.
DSC
@i.m.kilf

I think I figured out the pair of wires I need out from the ribbon cable, and I can sync the color bars, but my incoming video sync seems off sync. I guess both composite signals need to be genlocked right? The one going into the VSG and the one going into the VC.

You set the VC as slave at that point right?
Thank you for the help. applause
i.m.klif
i won't be near my modular for some time, so i can't check the specifics.

my trick for genlocking cameras/sources is to use main and preview out of any modern video mixer - they tipically have two tbc's built in so both sources will be in sync.
DSC
Excellent, that makes sense.

I would add since having the VSG as the main SYNC out that I just use the RCA out's of the Color Video Encoder as my Genlock signal for both of my external TBC's. The Color Video Encoder is connected with the same custom cable from the VSG and then to the VC. It works great as the main Genlock source.

Happy now, thank you for your help and BTW if anyone is curious as to the cable configuration all you need is the first pair from the 14 pin connector(marked in red), those are the ground signal, and the last pair as that seems to be the sync signal. Take those wires and solder them to a male rca plug and then plug it into the 'sync in' of the VC and then switch the dip switch to slave.

Cheers,
i.m.klif
why didn't you use 14 pin LZX Sync Distribution Bus connector on the back of VC? it works for me
i.m.klif
why didn't you use 14 pin LZX Sync Distribution Bus connector on the back of VC? it works for me
DSC
Cable is on order, but probably wont see if for four weeks or so, also this way I can have that combo further away in my rack so it will not be constrained by cable size.
DSC
Question I forgot to ask was if anyone has the pdf manual for the VSG?
I can't seem to find it on the LZX site.
i.m.klif
you can easily make sync cable yourself. just buy 2 14 pin connectors and a piece of ribbon cable. you don't need any special tools. it is cheap and very easy to put together.
DSC
Yep, I have kind of done that already, but I figured if I bought an official one I could see if there was any difference. I posted it in another thread where I was hopeful Lars might publish an official pinout so I could figure out what the other signals were. From my deduction today it seemed the third pair from ground had no signal at all, maybe a signal return? Not really sure.

The VC has excellent documentation and the extra headers are very well documented other than the legacy connector. I figured since it was now going to be legacy and they were not going to use it going forward they could chime in with a pinout, maybe I could use the other signals for other ideas I have too thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1