MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Teezer 15v build question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Teezer 15v build question
stevebryson
Hi Wigglers! I'm building a teezer from the Bridechamber kit, which has the parts for the Dave Brown 15V modification. Dave's mods includes the line "Change R119 from 22K to 30K". The thing is that the Teezer BOM and schematic say that R119 is 12K. So there's a misprint somewhere, and where probably matters.

Should Dave's mod read
"Change R119 from 12K to 30K"
or
"Change R??? from 22K to 30K" where R??? is one of the 5 22K resistors (R24, R25, R123, R131, R133) and if so, which one? help

Thanks!
sduck
According to the docs I have R119 is supposed to be 22K. Mine are pretty old though, but I doubt they've changed - perhaps Ian can be contacted, or maybe he'll see this? There are no 12k resistors in my BOM.
stevebryson
sduck wrote:
According to the docs I have R119 is supposed to be 22K. Mine are pretty old though, but I doubt they've changed - perhaps Ian can be contacted, or maybe he'll see this? There are no 12k resistors in my BOM.

Thanks sduck - here's an excerpt from teezer_board_a_doc.pdf. Does your doc have a different name?

I suppose since R119 is connected to power that must be the one to change. So did you use 30K and it works fine? R119 is hidden in the photo of your teezer board.

frijitz
Sorry for the confusion. There was a design change at some point, to allow a softer sync. The modified value of R119 is 12k. With this value there is no sync action until the control is turned up a bit. I was trying to avoid this dead zone originally -- up until I realized that very soft sync with the master allows tracking over a wide range with minimal waveform distortion. (See the thread at e-mus.). For 15V supplies the best value would be 18k.

I would be glad to supply the corrected docs to anyone who needs them.

There is another error on the docs. R132 and R133 should be reversed. Probably doesn't hurt operation, though, just gives a little less margin of error designwise.

Ian
stevebryson
Thanks Ian! applause I'll send a note to Scott. I guess we should make sure Dave Brown sees this.

And just to make sure we're talking about the same docs, you mean R133 should be 27K and R132 should be 22K, yes?
sduck
Glad Ian came and filled in the blanks here.
davebr
stevebryson wrote:
Thanks Ian! applause I'll send a note to Scott. I guess we should make sure Dave Brown sees this.

And just to make sure we're talking about the same docs, you mean R133 should be 27K and R132 should be 22K, yes?

I've added notes to my web page.

Dave
stevebryson
Thanks, everyone. I think I got it. thumbs up

One more thing: I got myself thoroughly confused about the switch wiring, and diagram links on other build threads are dead. It took me a bit to figure out. In case anyone else looks here, here is my Ian-approved solution (apparently there are other possibilities). The "AC" and "DC" refer to the position of the switch lever, in other words the labels on the panel.
iopop
stevebryson: Thank you for posting that image. Saved me lots of time.

Finished this bad boy today. Been in my backlog since 2011. Everything worked on first power on! Super easy build. Not sure why I waited so long to finish it.
phisynth
Sorry for necrobumping this thread !

I'm currently building this for +/- 15V and was wondering if there's any pros / cons doing the Dave Brown mods by changing a lot of resistor values as seen here :

http://www.dragonflyalley.com/synth/constructionFritzTZVCO.htm#mods

instead of the one described in the build docs, by replacing the ferrite beads with 2.7 / 3.0 v zener diodes :

Quote:

Addendum: Modifications for +/- 15V Power
The most convenient method of adapting this project to +/- 15 V power is to reduce the power lines to 12 V
using series Zener diodes. This may be done without board modification by replacing the six ferrite beads with
Zeners. Two different device types are used because the different sections draw different currents. The
substitutions are:
B201, B202 1N5225B, 3.0 V Zener diode
B203-B206 1N5223B, 2.7 V Zener diode
Important: use only the specified devices.

thanks in advance for your input
emmaker
Here are my thoughts on it.

If I were putting it into a Euro system I'd use the ferrites. If I'm putting it in an MOTM system you could go with either.

There is gettting to be a lot of digital (computer) electronics in Euro systems. These can have issues with putting high frequency signal through a system. Either on the power supply or by RFI. The ferrites might help with those issues. For MOTM systems you don't tend to have as many computers in the rack.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1