Log

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: ignatius, Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Log

Post by zerosum » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Started a new job this week, This will fund some new gear that i want,
however i have less time to myself now to spend in the studio, atleast untill i adjust. This getting up at 4 and getting home close to 4 is killing me :lol:

This winter has been fairly productive in capturing strange conversations with the machines and learning what they do.
I have good amount of demos and audio recordings to arrange and finish.
When I turn on the gear i start a new folder,a new session and date it,
Then go through it later or sometimes right after and arrange in ways i see fit.
There is a good amount of stuff that i dont know what to do with and it sits,
its a journal entry for that day, a lot of these will find there way into gear examples of some very unique items i love to use and go on adventures with.
Here is a few "entries" complied onto one track

None of these are mixed or even fully arranged but an indication on what i have been working on this year and skeletal structures of future songs and themes.
Speaking of themes, thats what i feel is my stronger point, arranging into a "song" or stucturing is where i fall short and usually why i dont finish things, My mind has been pretty themebased lately though, imagining video games or cartoons or movies that this could be a soundtrack too, which i hope it will be someday.
Think of it as a "diary" of sorts...errr i dont like that word
It starts with out with a feedback burst tuning into a radio station very much like what is described in this harmony central review.
This is the first time i have heard it do that, but i have heard this thing done before with other gear, this is the first time i have captured it into audio :D
This was also the night that i met up with the mister wiggler and he had my guitar in his hand ran into the Frostwave Sonic Alienator>Effector 13 torn's peaker>Metasonix tm-1.
So he brought the demons out of my guitar into my distortion boxes :shock: heheh thanks :lol:

This also closes off with mister wiggler unleashing more evilness into the Sonic Alienator and one more with the torn's peaker and tm-1 on top of it.

Welp time to get some sleep,
There will be more audio and site updating coming soon....soonish..

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:52 am

goddamn it, if i knew you were recording i would have tried to play some half decent shit instead of just noodling around and fucking with the sonic alienator :x :lol:

that track was pretty damn cool though! love the radio stuff at the start and there's lots of good funky noisy scary shit all over the place

love the bit around 2:15

fun stuff, love the ending as well

damn, you should sell me that sonic alienator and buy something fun (noise ring hint hint) with the proceeds :lol:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:38 am

damn, you should sell me that sonic alienator and buy something fun (noise ring hint hint) with the proceeds
Its very tempting, however without the modular(yet)I wouldnt be able to use it untill later, but atleast i would have one before they were gone,
then pick up another alienator again later...hmm...
Still want to buy the Pulse too?

Maybe if i sold both of those then i get just get started on the modular now,
the 5-space challenge start 8)

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:43 am

actually, you could do tons of stuff with the Noise Ring on it's own! you would just need a rack frame and a power supply

you could use it as a random/chaotic noise source, you could process other signals with it, you could use it as a tonewheel, or you could use it to create random and semi-random control voltages for your TM-1 and your Sherman

seriously 8)

considering the cash i just sunk into Wiard, sadly i'll have to pass on the Pulse for the time being :( sorry, just waaay too broke at the moment

also, i heard thought the grapevine that (unless Grant is suddenly flooded with orders) he expects the Wiard 1200 series modules to last at least a few more months, so i don't think there is a dire hurry if you are thinking about that

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:19 pm

i heard thought the grapevine that (unless Grant is suddenly flooded with orders) he expects the Wiard 1200 series modules to last at least a few more months, so i don't think there is a dire hurry if you are thinking about that
Yeah I have heard that the supply should be good up through summer.

I also e-mailed blacet and the VCA i want should be in good supply for a while as well.
actually, you could do tons of stuff with the Noise Ring on it's own! you would just need a rack frame and a power supply
True 8)
Maybe I might start with a frame,PSU and then add modulator modules little by little.
gotta get an axis generator and joystick too :D

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:27 pm

you absolutely should :) that's a great way to start, and you are in a lucky position because you could have gear that you could exploit from your modular equipment from the get-go

when i started with my first modules i couldn't do anything 'till i had a few more :cry:

i'll trade you 2 wiard joysticks for your sonic alienator

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:54 pm

*modified* wiard joysticks, with both 1/4" and a 1/8" gate output jacks

and these two jacks can be used as a 1/4"-to-1/8" converters (and vise versa) if you aren't using the gate output

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:45 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:*modified* wiard joysticks, with both 1/4" and a 1/8" gate output jacks

and these two jacks can be used as a 1/4"-to-1/8" converters (and vise versa) if you aren't using the gate output
Gimme your noise ring :P
If i get rid of the alienator now i would have to get another sound generating device to replace it, not that the joysticks(yes two! kickass) wouldnt be benificial later, i just couldnt see myself doing that now.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:53 pm

hey you've got no shortage of sound generating devices :P

no worries, i know how it is... if you ever get the urge in the future, i'll happily swap the two modded wiard joysticks and a bit of cash for your alienator, just let me know anytime 8)

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:14 pm

I was just brushing my teeth to(gasp) get ready for bed and i was thinking about how alot of people(you know the kind at work) talk/dream about going to paradise islands and sipping cocktails on the beach,
Imagine how confused they are going to be when i tell them that im planning on taking a trip to frozen canada to spend some time in a basement with a frankensein closet full of gear....gear that is not mass produced...gear with names like "butt probe" "agonizer" "filthy filtre."
A room full of noise.....

"but noise, how is that listenable? my car sounds like that when the belt needs to be replaced"
1)well i should sample it then
2)can you control when your car screetches and make it screetch in different ways?

You know its just kinda tiring for people not to understand these things,
sure there are plenty of people who play guitar and play in bands on the weekend,
but thats not what this is about, yes playing live music is cool,
but i got bored with the same "safe" predictable "songs" that people like to associate their life with,
I want to hear noises that i cant associate my life with,
Noises that take me to another planet, i am into music to get away from this world not be part of it...
Well i know thats not 100% accurate, but very close,
Theres just something else about the magic that comes out of the electronic devices, especially the unique ones,
experiencing these experiences is my addiction...

Its so funny, "are you gonna go party this weekend for st. patties day"
-no im gonna go sort through some recordings and make some more.
Its almost like if your not in a band and your not a big party/club going nightlife/buys lots of clothes person they dont know what you could possibly be doing with your time.

yeah sounds,noise music,they rock....
night night..
love the bit around 2:15
Thanks, thats the evolver>preamp>sherman>RNC 8)
I need to re-record this or zoom in and chop it so i can loop it without that lovely alskdhfa;lsdpo not loopable loop thing going on when the end meets the beginning :lol:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:29 pm

So im getting $3,865 in free money/grants for school from the man :shock:
That puts me at roughly 10 grand that i will need to take out in loans, which I'm ok with.

Considering a few people i know are 30, 25, and one 60 grand in debt for their college experiences :shock:
Not anything i EVER was interested in.

So in October I move to the desert lands of Arizona to further my interests in understanding the ways that audio works.

The move itself isnt something im looking forward too, However after i get over the hump of that the future looks exciting....Although it brings up an interesting hurdle: money :evil:
Which means I need to start saving....
I was planning on starting a little earlier on, but I got sidetracked, 8)
However it was worth it, the bad part is I cant continue to get sidetracked like I always do...Im talking about sound creation utilities-Im addicted I cant stop, I havent been able to stop for years.
All my money goes into gear and has for the last 7 years, My wardrobe shows it,my social encounters(or lack thereof) shows it,my interests/disinterest(s) in not going out shows it,even basic shopping shows it...Im a gear addict.
Thats what makes me keep my jobs(most of the time), I HATE my current job and its driving my insane and making me tired and sucking up VIRTUALLY ALL MY TIME, however pretty shiny boxes that make noise keep me focused and make me stay....Make life all better...
Now I have to shift that a bit and focus on saving money to live on because i dont want to work this much when im in school for 8 months..

However i must have my 5 space challenge modular which basically is a Miniwave/modulation station part 1.
Blacet VCO
Blacet/Wiard designs Miniwave
Blacet EG-1 ADSR
Blacet VCA2200
Blacet micro LFO
metalbox psycho LFO(check)

That right there is enough to give me what i want and need for a while.
I of course want more LFO's,a Metasonix TM-3,more filters,a StoneZ phase, and a really nice delay, but that right there is the heart of it,
Thats what i need to get the workflow and sounds i want.
The VCA2200 will probly be the next thing I order because they wont be
making them anymore and thats a killer module for me because it also mixes CV so i can use it as a multi box instead of a VCA when using the modular as a modulation station for my metasonix/other CV gear.
It also has a gain on input D. Great module, I swear it was made for me with my kind of uses in mind. I could use A,B and C as CV mixing and then use D as a VCA too, mega cool!

So this small setup is the last thing that i can buy, I might even have to get rid of a few other things to get it, but im not sure. I dont want to, but if I have to I will.

Grrr... Im going through withdrawls just thinking about it :(
I would like to get a Presonus Faderport,
That is something I really really could use.

I got my EHX Wiggler this week and its so much more than I expected,
I love it, It makes pretty weepy,moody wails for me :)
I havent recorded with as much as i plan on, but here is a small snippet
of day one, which isnt much:
Evolver Into Wiggler

There is a big future for the wiggler in my setup, it will get used often.

I also started this on my day off, Ive been using the Evolver a lot lately and im really really really likeing it and using its sequencer,Its just a start:

The Evolver is reminding me of why it is a great best friend, there is a lot you can really do with it,Im still learning how to use all these ways in songform, so what makes a short audio clip sometimes took all day to make. Theres just so many ways to get distracted and lost in ideas that they dont always fit into the song, they do however still fit on the harddrive :wink:

There is also this metasonix thread where the original poster had some questions about the TM-1 with guitar and I dug up some examples that im pretty happy with of how the tm-1 plays with guitars, check them out here:
http://www.synthtopia.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 2eab034fa9

Now its time to do the sleep thing, mentally prepare for the upcoming wage slavery.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:59 pm

So took some pictures today with doc's camera, and not many turned out,
Ill do more later.
2 friends are back in the studio again and are better than ever modified by mister EVER 8)
Torn's Peaker and Vintage Fuzz Maker now both have the switch to engage the second oscillation mode.
The VFM is crazy, I cant controll it, Its definitly well suited for synths and the ideas i have for it, It already has been used conservatively for quite a few recordings with the evolver, It changes and squeals and changes some more its totally random, I love it but it also confuses me when it doesnt behave the way i think it should, Ill demonstrate that later, It turned my guitar into a nasty distorted 808eee kick drum today.
Torn's Peaker is my guitar fuzz, These both are perfect with the TM-7,
I think of the TM-7 as my amp, its great at the end of the chain.
Torn's Peaker works great with most things actually, I understand how this one thinks and behaves.
I could write more but im tired, I didnt finish my tracks today but im happy with the way things are going.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:49 pm

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun May 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Work Sucks my soul....Work sucks my soul...
Work sucks my soul....away....

Got a new old comic in the mail yesterday.....
Its by Bart Batchelor, ANTI-SOCIAL #2,
The cover for #1 is on my wall, you can see it above the POD,
Heres the cover for#2

I have been going back in time a bit and collected/reliving/recollecting old moments of entertainment.
Im on a mission to find all the Evil Propaganda/ANTI-SOCIAL comics I can.

I traded some gear away and got a Frac rack,power supply,PSCONN2 that should be on its way this upcoming week, Ill be ordering a blacet EG-1 to stick in it with my metalbox psycho.
Im on the verge of binging and buying a TM-3, that will probly come at the end of the month..
Im also in contact with someone that used to post on a forum i used to visit/post who has a Butt Probe that he may consider selling me.
Its a maybe and if he does find it in his heart Im going all the way, provided the price is right and not 899 :shock:

Im addicted to gear, I see plenty of things i cant have like relationships,tribes,company,insanely gorgeous women that hurt to look at,etc.... and then there is gear...It fills this hole(Im serious) I explore noises to fill a hole that most people fill with alcohal,drugs,social status,flashy cars and diamonds,etc.....
In return this hole gets filled but my pocket is empty leaving me on the edge, far away from financial safety...It has been this way for a long time, and now the prices have almost lost their value....Its addiction,,,Its "I dont care how much it is, I want it and im going to try and find a way to get it...do what i can...sell what i can.....work a job that kills me to get it...
sacrifice my sanity....crack my hands open and crush my soul....

In other news, Im not sure what to think about the future of Effector 13
:?

Im very happy for Devi and co...Congratz
But for some reason I still feel....something that is unsettling and a bit sad in a way i cant really explain, but very happy for Devi, and happy that there will still plenty of other KICKASS INSANE WORKS he will produce that I will gobble up and be happy with 8)

Sounds.....Im trying to find others to create an ambient atmosphere time capsule complete with CD and artwork and have it done by autumn..

In closing I dont feel I should close without a demo:
Fire like we might fire you

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat May 12, 2007 11:41 pm

So Thursday Az came by on his way to see Frontline Assembly,
and brought the Juno 106 by.
I now have a Juno 106 in my studio now, Its cool to have an analog polysynth now.
In short Az, is who i moved up to minnesota for in late 2001.
We spend most of 2002-2004 hating eachother.
Then stopped briefly.
Then hated eachother from 2004-2007.
Now I think we are neutral again.
He's mellowed down a bit and is going to have a kid soon.

So made some recordings thursday, ones that I had more fun than he did,
I like the noise.

Im working on a remix for I,Parasite.
Aside from a few issues I have with Chris, This is something I have wanted to do for a very long time, So I did.
Juno,TM-1,TM-7,wiggler,resonator,alienator,soda meiser,VFM,virus,POD XT
Thats what I did all day today and I have a headache because food take time to make and i didnt have any time today So all I've eaten is 4 bananas,3 kiwis,2 celery stalks and peanut butter, and a bunch of water.
I need food,I need shower.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat May 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Soda Meiser left today to go to its new home :)
Although i kind of miss it in some way :?

We threw a "party" today....3 whole people showed up :roll:
Reminds me of why I'm happier not leaving the studio and staying/investing in the studio than trying to exist in the world outside of it :lol:

I have a fridge full of beer and food and dont have to work tomorrow,
soo.....Im going to exist in the world i exist best in..THE STUDIO...
Im going to take muff's LED experiement jam apart and see what I can do with it...
I also hopefully and naiveishly contacted a favored noisebox maker about renting me some pedals to do demos for then send them back....
Wouldnt that be cool, get to experience these multiple gems and send them back like a library... 8)
When I grow up I want to do gear demos and write reviews

5inusoid
Wretch Basstard

Post by 5inusoid » Mon May 21, 2007 11:59 am

zerosum wrote:I've eaten is 4 bananas,3 kiwis,2 celery stalks and peanut butter, and a bunch of water.
Well at least you probably shit good

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Mon May 21, 2007 3:49 pm

5inusoid
Wretch Basstard

Post by 5inusoid » Mon May 21, 2007 8:50 pm

And you took a picture of it!

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Tue May 22, 2007 1:06 am

zerosum wrote:Soda Meiser left today to go to its new home :)
Although i kind of miss it in some way :?
And a good home it will be, I promise :D
zerosum wrote:I also hopefully and naiveishly contacted a favored noisebox maker about renting me some pedals to do demos for then send them back....
Wouldnt that be cool, get to experience these multiple gems and send them back like a library... 8)
When I grow up I want to do gear demos and write reviews
That's a good idea...in fact that's all you need to start doing reviews. If you start blogging good reviews, it won't be long until you have dedicated reader base. Magazine reviews *suck* and they have for years now. I can't even read industry mags anymore outside of TapeOp...they are all soft on all the products (fearing loss of ad $s) and end up regurgitating most of the marketing material already available on the manufacturers website. These days all you need is some good content on a blog and get linked to a few times and you will be set. Hell, look at gizmodo and engaget...a lot of their reviews are little more than a picture, a few comments, and the personal opinion of the 'reviewer'. Really all they have is "coverage" (ie. "content").

Go for it, you can do it! 8)

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Tue May 22, 2007 3:38 pm

Magazine reviews *suck* and they have for years now. I can't even read industry mags anymore outside of TapeOp...
Yup.
Tape Op is free too.
http://www.tapeop.com/subscription.php
When I went to IPR Keyboard,mix,and EQ were all free,
So each month I took one of each home, and they are terrible...It was amazing.
EQ was the worst, topics like "make your digital recordings sound analog"
or "tweaks" that really arent tweaks for you DAW like "disable messenger"
"disable your antivirus" "get more ram" ehhh....
At one point I was going to break a few issues apart and rant about all the things wrong with it, but I decided I really didnt care...

As for the renting...Its underway 8) There are a few things they need to get done before that can happen as they are busy as all hell, but its in the bag.

Thats actually more than half the reason I got a website was for gear demos and reviews and patches,etc....
I just need to get around to getting it done :oops: :lol:
So that will be getting done in the upcoming.....weeks..or maybe days...

I need to get a semi decent video camera because I want to do some video demos for a few effects so people can see what the knobs do and how they interact with eachother.
I know that there a few things I couldnt make my mind up on to buy because I wasnt sure how exactly the unit behaved,
I really wish there were more metasonix videos out there,
And at the time of my first purchase there werent any demos out,
Luckily i got the TM-1 which is the perfect first TM module 8)

So yeah demos,services,etc on the way!

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Tue May 29, 2007 1:23 am

Spent the whole weekend combing through the harddrive and semi updating zerosuminertia.com

I have to say that Im pleased with what I found on the harddrive, some dusty gems that are ready to be assembled and put together.
CD time is close, I have some more things to organize, but I now know that I have enough content to work with :lol:
more audio demos,explanations/random studio madness documentation will surface this week.
My eyes are burning and i really cant see well anymore, its going to be a long day tomorrow in the galleries :lol:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Thu May 31, 2007 11:19 pm

This month...This month of May has been the best month I have had in a long long time.
Im going to go around and see how much of it I documented here and various forums as well as e-mails.
I quit the stupid job that was killing me and went back to a job that doesnt kill me, and PRESTO!!!! My creative energy came back and I have made the best song I think I have ever made, Part of it came from a session last summer in July and then I added to it...I think it will be the first track on the disc(that still has no title)

Other good things that happened this month,
The Modular started!!! Well I already had a psycho LFO,
but i got my frac rack and powersupply and PSCONN!!!
AS well as an EG-1!
To top it off Analoghaven had a 10% off sale and I got myself a Miniwave with expansion as well as a Binary Zone!!!
My modulation mayhem station is coming along strong!!!

2 new synths have also become members of the zerosum family :)
And at such an attractive price too 8)
Enter Juno 106 and SCI Pro-One.

The Juno came from Az, I traded an M-audio Radium 61 midi keyboard controller for it. The Juno was just being used as a midi controller for soft synths and the Radium was just taking up space in my closet.
It works out great. I love having an analog polysynth, I would like to get a Juno 6 someday instead, but for now this is working out great and I cant complain at all...It fits right at home......Although I really doesnt fit at all...
THERES NO ROOM :shock:
So this weekend will see some slight rearranging to fit the Juno and P1 on a tier.
There's never going to be enough room for more than one person in my room again :lol: I never thought I'd see the day.

SCI Pro-One came from Ross G(Thanks bro!)
It is a mutant of sorts, It is missing its keys, It was an organ donor and had to donate its limbs.
There is a huge plus in this, It saves some space :lol:
I traded this for the Waldorf Pulse, which as much love as I have/had for it,it was still going out anyway because I want to get the Pulse Plus model so i can use CV with my modular.
So I will get a Pulse Plus in the future and have the Pulse back in my rack once again :)

There something special feeling about having 2 new synths that are older than me in the studio, The P1 is from 1981, and the Juno is around there too, I was born on tax day of 83...
Just thinking about the places these synths have been and the sounds they have made for others, and lives they lived before me, before I was even alive! Man, its a great pleasure having these unique voices singing my songs in my studio, We are all getting along fine.

I also have more support than I ever thought I would ever see...
Its....Inspirational and well, supportive..Its keeping me going, reminding me that some people out there do understand why i do what i do, and apparently I actually can do some things worthwhile..
The support from endmusik(for nearly 3 years),Muff Wiggler,
Devi Ever,Even Eric Barbour is irreplaceable and more than
I imagined was possible.
The Muff Wiggler forum has really blown up lately and it makes things even better, even more light at the end of the tunnel!
Its good to see everyone here and the conversations have been amusing.

Zerosuminertia.com is almost fully online, A few tweaks and minus and a few additions and it'll be good to go.
Still have tons of stuff to upload and comments about noiseboxes that make me happy.

Well, tonight the Pro-One showed up and I was supposed to finsih laundry and make some food, but now I have run out of time to do either,
and recorded atleast an hour of Pro One, hooked it up to the TM-1 as well
8)
But for now heres 3 basic examples of things that got me excited:
1 oscilator
2 oscilators
tri square sub osc underneath square

Ill sort through this session when I have more time, as well as explore the P1 some more and post some less vanilla examples,
Im also going to start a Pro One thread.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:13 am

damn sweet man 8) awesome about those old synths too, and I know you'll love the Blacet stuff

sorry I don't have more time to comment, I just got screwed out of a flight home tonight and it's 2am and i'm in a hotel again instead of my own bed. I could have drove home faster :x

i'll check those clips tomorrow after I get home... you rock for uploading so many clips around different places, wish I had more time to do the same... hopefully very soon 8)

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:09 am

i'm glad the P1 got a good home, and it was cool to speak with you...i wanna see what you come up as far as a new housing, i never got around to it....now that i have the fully functioning keyed P1, i'm going to add a bunch of patch points to the unkeyed P1 to access via my Doepfer Universal Vactrol mod...

have fun, i should with the Pulse!

Return to “Your Tunes Here”