MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiard 300 in two rows of Frac Racks?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Wiard 300 in two rows of Frac Racks?
parasitk
So I've been perusing the Wiard Yahoo group photos, and noticed a bunch of systems that seem to have one or more 300 series modules next to two rows of Frac sized modules. But it looks like they're mounted in Blacet FracRacks. Custom Frac work? Or is this something easy/common to do? Do the screw holes line up?

I love the idea of being able to stick one or two 300 series amongst my Fracs without the torment of knowing it'd take forever for me to fill an all-300 series rack! razz

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone here do something like this?
plord
You'll need to drill new holes, and also saw through the back rails of the Frac rack, as the 300 are 9" deep and the frac rack is only 6. They're not the same width either, the 300 are 2.83" and Frac standard is 3", so you may have a gap.

Doable, but not easy or clean.
Kwote
it's an interesting thing to do but i think it looks like shit personally. having the 300's in their own case is such a sight to behold. even if you can't fill a whole 19" rack i think it's worth getting a custom width case to house the 300's.

one thing i thought of that would be cool and possibly save some money, is get a couple custom 19" rails done. not exactly sure where to source work like that though. also not sure if just a set of front rails would be enough to support since wiard's are typically mounted in frames. but it's likely enough that it'd be okay. the only issue if it worked out would be mounting the ps500's. and i guess there'd be a small gap on either side of the 6 modules.
parasitk
Kwote wrote:
it's an interesting thing to do but i think it looks like shit personally. having the 300's in their own case is such a sight to behold. even if you can't fill a whole 19" rack i think it's worth getting a custom width case to house the 300's.

For me getting one 300 series module would be hard enough, let alone a whole rack of them!

My thing these days is being portable (since I'm going to gig with my system), and I'd want to use whatever 300 series modules I'd theoretically get with my current system immediately. In that respect having 6U of rack space with 1-2 Wiard modules in it would be a waste for my needs.

Yeah it doesn't look great in every instance, but I could live with that to get a Sequantizer or Wiard Woggle in my set up.

Sounds like a PITA though, especially since I have no DIY or building skills whatsoever. help

Thanks for the input guys!
Kwote
sure. hey don't sweat it man. just get the modules and then worry lol

i'm telling you a custom wood case is a good solution. i'm sure you could find someone out there willing to do it.

that's basically my plan if i end up with anything short of six 300's.

i agree on the modules you mentioned too! although if i were only stuck with two 300's i'd get the wogglebug first and the HP/LP Boogie Filter 2nd.

the sequantizer almost edges out over the Boogie but not enough to sway me. but i really REALLY want the sequantizer. really.
wetterberg
the wiard 300s are just 6u racks, right? there should be some cool lab options for cases out there.
Kwote
there's always a solution. housing modules will always be workable. acquiring them well that's another story.

if the cost of housing something is holding you back don't let it. get the modules when you can. everything works out in the end.
parasitk
Yeah totally! As far as acquiring modules - hell I can't even afford a Multiple/Attenuator right now, so anything 300 series is right out!

Re: a wooden box - wouldn't really work for me since this would go into a live/portable rig. Haha I talk as if I were about to make a purchase... *sigh* very frustrating
Kwote
i'd want mine portable too if i had one done. lids, latches and handles. basically like a wood skb but less than 19".

talking about stuff like you're about to purchase it is a good thing. i've been talking out my ass about all kinds of stuff and now a lot of it is reality. if you want it bad enough it'll be yours.

speaking of talking out my ass even if i can't order all the 300's i want by the time grant closes shop i still have confidence i'll get em all. used if necessary. i see no reason not to bank on this theory.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1