MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Q960 Sequencer GATE LENGTH tutorial - Synthesizers.com
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Q960 Sequencer GATE LENGTH tutorial - Synthesizers.com
VOLTA
https://youtu.be/nRAOQoSpgXg

In this video Roger uses the Q961 to control the gate length og the Q960.

I was thinking about getting this module Q961, but isnt this the same as using an envelope generator?
JohnLRice
Not really, unless you have an envelope generator that accepts a trigger in and can retrigger before the end of a cycle.

One nice thing about the Q961 is that it has multiple inputs, so instead of taking the Q960 clock out you can take the individual outs of each step so you can setup rhythms other than just constant notes.
VOLTA
Will the C961S cover the same functionality as the Q961 ?
JohnLRice
VOLTA wrote:
Even though their names are nearly identical, they are very different modules. The can both produce some similar end results but that's where the similarity ends.

Basically the Q961 accepts one to several external clock/gate signals and combines them into a single output. The C961s accepts only a single external clock and produces both a combined gate stream based on the switches and individual gates per each stage. The Q961 can change the width of incoming clocks but the C961s outputs whatever width was input. The Q961 can't be used to affect the sequence order of the Q960 but the C961s can force the Q960 to run in reverse, ping-pong and random modes.

If you have a Q960, the first accessory module to get would be a Q962 (or better yet a Moon 564) and then secondly get a C961s! thumbs up (Thirdly get a quantizer! nodnod )

VOLTA
Hi John

Thanks for the feedback. Q961 is on the list. Rockin' Banana!
Together with a quantizer pair thumbs up
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:
VOLTA wrote:
Even though their names are nearly identical, they are very different modules. The can both produce some similar end results but that's where the similarity ends.

Basically the Q961 accepts one to several external clock/gate signals and combines them into a single output. The C961s accepts only a single external clock and produces both a combined gate stream based on the switches and individual gates per each stage. The Q961 can change the width of incoming clocks but the C961s outputs whatever width was input. The Q961 can't be used to affect the sequence order of the Q960 but the C961s can force the Q960 to run in reverse, ping-pong and random modes.

If you have a Q960, the first accessory module to get would be a Q962 (or better yet a Moon 564) and then secondly get a C961s! thumbs up (Thirdly get a quantizer! nodnod )

and THEN welcome to the loss of the entire contents of your wallet !!! Lolhammer! Lolhammer! Lolhammer! Lolhammer! Lolhammer! Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again you kids get off my lawn
Dob
<shameless mode>
I've got the Q961 and Q963 up for sale, if anyone's interested. In perfect working order.
Including a pricedrop now...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135137
</shameless mode>
HowDoIKnow
Apologies for the necro-bump, but I am trying to find out the actual duration of a (Q)960 gate (actually its the MOS-LAB 960, but I assume it will be the same) or the stage duration. I know the gate is active 90% of the stage time, and this is the time before any influence from the 961 interface.

Thanks

hdik
kindredlost
HowDoIKnow wrote:
Apologies for the necro-bump, but I am trying to find out the actual duration of a (Q)960 gate (actually its the MOS-LAB 960, but I assume it will be the same) or the stage duration. I know the gate is active 90% of the stage time, and this is the time before any influence from the 961 interface.

Thanks

hdik

For the synthesizers.com Q960 the gate on time is virtually 100%. The oscillator output of the internal clock oscillator is on for 90%. This gets confusing when trying to determine whether to use an external shift timing to the Q960 or not. It is further maddening when using the Q962 Trigger Bus. There is a jumper to change the way the gate behaves with the combo but it disables the shift input so I find it less suitable for most patches.

The MosLab 960 may be different so I’d try to contact Seb about that specifics.
ranix
I don't think the gate length time is virtually 100%, I think it's actually 100%. So if you have two back to back gates there is only one rising edge
HowDoIKnow
Thanks guys, but I didn't make myself quite clear. What I meant was, what I want to know is how long in milliseconds is the gate length or the duty cycle, i.e the length of each stage, of a 960? = how long is it between each note being triggered? Does the time get shorter as the oscillator frequency get faster?

Ages ago I built a MIDI version of the 960 with an adjustable gate length and step frequency, but it does not behave as a proper 960 (I know, now I have a MOS-LAB one hyper ) - I think I have those variables wrong - the gate timer (MIDI note on to MIDI note off duration in ms) should be fixed, methinks, but at how long seriously, i just don't get it

hdik
ranix
the duty cycle is 100%. The gate length does get shorter in milliseconds as the frequency gets faster, only because the next gate comes sooner. Rather than calling them gates it might be more proper to call them "triggers".

When I say 100% I mean if you take two gates and OR them together there'd be no "note off" period between the gates at all. You wouldn't get 2 notes you'd only get 1 note sustained for the entirety of the two gates. If you converted it into MIDI you wouldn't send a "note off" signal until you hit a stage without the "out" signal patched.

The 960 cannot change its duty cycle, which is why synthesizers.com offers the Q961 aid module for the Q960 that has a controllable "on time" knob to choose the duty cycle of its gate output.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1