MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fixed Filter Banks... when's the last time you USED yours?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]

When is the last time you used your Fixed Filter Bank?
In every patch
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
In the last 2 days
11%
 11%  [ 9 ]
In the last week
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
In the last month
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
Hmmm... can't remember for sure
36%
 36%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 77

Author Fixed Filter Banks... when's the last time you USED yours?
alternating.bit
It takes up a lot of modular real estate but it's a powerful sound shaper.
And yet when I see people's modular vids so often they're not patched.
I too am guilty of neglecting mine. I'm proud to say I used it last night for a drone patch, but its been a while since I've used mine. It just made me think to ask this question.
sonicwarrior
I have none. Only the MOTM-410 resonators.
fac
I don't have one. I've been considering the Dotcom Q127, but I have a MAM RS3 triple-band resonator and I hardly use it.
mfirman
I just picked one up used and
put it in my new 11U case, therefore
I've been using/experimenting-with it
a lot recently. It's very nice for subtle
timbral tweaking. I think it will probably
be used in a lot of future patches actually.

Here is a photo of it newly mounted
and not yet patched up:
kindredlost
I use it in every patch. Actually I wish I had seven. I also use the PM Resonator and the Serge Resonant EQ in almost all patches. I know I'm not alone. I can predict spinachpizza does roughly the same thing.

For my method having control over the exact frequency profile of each "voice" in a multiple voice patch is important. When I run short of EQ's I use series filters to sculpt the profile. It is akin to board EQ of each channel when doing a mix-down. Since Most of what I put together is happening at once it is paramount I pay attention to this aspect.

I also like to use notch filters on my state variable filters when they are not in use otherwise. Subtle tweaking of the notch to whatever band is producing transient peaks is key.
mfirman
Since this was under the 5U umbrella I didn't
mention that I have two Serge Resonant fixed
filter banks in my Serge system that I also often
use. I do have a tendency in that system to
use them with faders since I can pull outputs
from the even and odd sets and from the two
of them. This allows them, despite their fixed nature
to add some "movement" to a sound.
alternating.bit
kindredlost wrote:
I use it in every patch. Actually I wish I had seven. I also use the PM Resonator and the Serge Resonant EQ in almost all patches. I know I'm not alone. I can predict spinachpizza does roughly the same thing.

For my method having control over the exact frequency profile of each "voice" in a multiple voice patch is important. When I run short of EQ's I use series filters to sculpt the profile. It is akin to board EQ of each channel when doing a mix-down. Since Most of what I put together is happening at once it is paramount I pay attention to this aspect.

I also like to use notch filters on my state variable filters when they are not in use otherwise. Subtle tweaking of the notch to whatever band is producing transient peaks is key.

I'm shocked. What I mean is I don't know if I could even enjoy creating music if I was that concerned about every single timbre and subtlety of each sound. I plug in a cable to a VCO... "Triangle... cool, sounds good..." throw it into a filter and move on lol. Granted I don't do this for everything but indeed you are the other extreme. Your stuff sounds amazing though, so I suppose there's a price for everything.
How nice it would be if every FFB came with an additional CV knob with each respective frequency.

mfirman wrote:

AHHHH but notice what's not patched in the photo! Miley Cyrus
That's a beautiful setup you have there! Didn't you just start a month ago or so?? Remind me of myself, as others on this forum could attest. razz
mfirman
Quote:
AHHHH but notice what's not patched in the photo! Miley Cyrus
That's a beautiful setup you have there! Didn't you just start a month ago or so?? Remind me of myself, as others on this forum could attest. razz

Actually I've had the DotCom for almost two years now. I got some
of it in a trade and I grew it a bit since. I've been using it a lot since
I got it (I have several other modulars including a Wiard 300 and a
Serge).

The Fixed filter bank is not patched in this photo since I took the shot
to show off my new tier (the Portable 11 case that contains it). I just
installed the modules in the case, sat it up on the other case and
took a photo (I mentioned this in the original post).
Tronman
I sold mine years ago and never looked back.
kindredlost
alternating.bit wrote:
I'm shocked. What I mean is I don't know if I could even enjoy creating music if I was that concerned about every single timbre and subtlety of each sound...

The "joy" is in the final product, but the fun is found in muddling around finding the sounds and pieces too. Both are integral aspects of the whole.

Once I wasn't concerned about the details too much as well. Eventually I found the magic is in the details. When finely honed, the complete unit is revealed. I have so many works which are good ideas but poor renderings which if I had paid more attention to the way they interacted could have been produced in a presentable manner. Hindsight is 20/20.

Really it isn't hard to apply EQ to a sound if you take the few seconds to do so. It is a matter of listening to the whole thing in a global way. If something is intrusive or masking another in a destructive way then a couple of patch cords and a few seconds tweaking isn't so much trouble really.
Dave Peck
alternating.bit wrote:

How nice it would be if every FFB came with an additional CV knob with each respective frequency.

That would be a vocoder module that has individual patch points for each band.
alternating.bit
kindredlost wrote:
Once I wasn't concerned about the details too much as well. Eventually I found the magic is in the details. When finely honed, the complete unit is revealed. I have so many works which are good ideas but poor renderings which if I had paid more attention to the way they interacy.

Words to live by!! we're not worthy
Dave Peck
And I agree that most of them (at lest the MU format versions) tend to take up an excessive amount of panel real estate. The early Moog versions were full of fairly bulky inductors, which explained it on those early types, but many of the newer types have much smaller circuit boards, and often mount these boards perpendicular to the panel anyway so there's really no reason for them to be so large, other than tradition. It's not the type of module that often lends itself to real-time knob twiddling as a part of a performance. It's kinda 'set & forget' for each patch.

I don't see any reason for them being any larger than the DIY single-width Serge resonant Equalizer modules:

Vsyevolod
Used to use a FFB with the Moog Modular in college.

These days I'm running a ResEQ in my Serge system and was so intrigued by all the discussion people were having about porting it to Eurorack including faders instead of knobs that I went out and bought an Electrix EQ Killer which I used to own quite some time ago. 2U by half rack in size (the Electrix Filter Queen takes up the other side), it's a stereo in and out with secondary ins and outs that you can flip between. It's really a great real-time EQ shaper for performance work.

I'm big on EQ shaping in general. I love the tools that give me precise control over this element.

Stephen

Just me
I have used mine to great effect in the past. Have been trying to sell it to no avail for a couple years now. To big a footprint for what I used it for.
spinach_pizza
Tronman wrote:

I sold mine a few years ago and have frequently looked back.
kindredlost
spinach_pizza wrote:
Tronman wrote:

So I stand corrected. lol
spinach_pizza
kindredlost wrote:
spinach_pizza wrote:
Tronman wrote:

Well I wish I still had it!!
JohnLRice
spinach_pizza wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
spinach_pizza wrote:
Tronman wrote:

It was yours that I bought, correct Mr. spinach_pizza? I modified it (combined the Q127 and Q140 into a single panel) and then sadly sold it, mainly due to financial concerns. :-(

I recently tempted myself seriously with the thought of getting the COTK one with inductors and that temptation was replaced with the overwhelming excitement to try to get the GRP R24 sequencer but I went with the lesser of three evils and got a few smaller modules to replace others I had sold and to balance/enhance all three of my modulars.
MindMachine
alternating.bit wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
Once I wasn't concerned about the details too much as well. Eventually I found the magic is in the details. When finely honed, the complete unit is revealed. I have so many works which are good ideas but poor renderings which if I had paid more attention to the way they interacy.

Words to live by!! we're not worthy

...and the detail shows in David's music!!

All of my attempts are good ideas/poor renderings. I need to learn how to record. kindredlost is some amazing stuff.

I do not have an FFB in my 5U (and I still want a PM Resonator), but can see how Wendy Carlos would not be Wendy Carlos without one )or more).
Henfield
Dave Peck wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:

That would be a vocoder module that has individual patch points for each band.

Actually, you could use the Q140 FFB Aid, pass the individual outputs through separate VCAs, and then mix the outputs back together!

Also, does this mean that there will be a glut of FFBs in the BST section?
alternating.bit
Henfield wrote:
Actually, you could use the Q140 FFB Aid, pass the individual outputs through separate VCAs, and then mix the outputs back together!

I doubt that would work with my MOTM Yusynth Fixed Filter Bank hmmm.....

Henfield wrote:

Does WHAT mean there would be? If everyone in this thread said they think they are useless, then maybe so, but so far the vibe of the comments has been they're quite essential. Or are you saying based on the poll results where currently 45% can't remember when they used theirs last?
JohnLRice
alternating.bit wrote:
Henfield wrote:

I doubt that would work with my MOTM Yusynth Fixed Filter Bank hmmm.....
It is possible to bring out all the individual bands separately on a Yusynth FFB but it would be a somewhat difficult DIY modification thing you probably aren't up for yourself?
http://www.yusynth.net/Modular/EN/BANK/index.html

As a side note for people with FFBs that already have individual outputs or are individual output "ready" like the Q127, COTK has a module that can be used to amplify the outputs so they can be more useful on their own:
Henfield
alternating.bit wrote:

Henfield wrote:

Does WHAT mean there would be? If everyone in this thread said they think they are useless, then maybe so, but so far the vibe of the comments has been they're quite essential. Or are you saying based on the poll results where currently 45% can't remember when they used theirs last?

Actually, I do not have one (yet), so I cannot vote in your poll or see the results of your poll. That is wishful thinking on my part, to help drive the price down in the second hand market!
spinach_pizza
JohnLRice wrote:
spinach_pizza wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
spinach_pizza wrote:
Tronman wrote:

It was yours that I bought, correct Mr. spinach_pizza? I modified it (combined the Q127 and Q140 into a single panel) and then sadly sold it, mainly due to financial concerns. :-(

I recently tempted myself seriously with the thought of getting the COTK one with inductors and that temptation was replaced with the overwhelming excitement to try to get the GRP R24 sequencer but I went with the lesser of three evils and got a few smaller modules to replace others I had sold and to balance/enhance all three of my modulars.

Yes, and you did a BEAUTIFUL job, too!

I think that if I decide to get another one eventually, I'm pretty sure that Free State FX would make me a Yusynth one with the individual outputs added in. He's got one in his (awesome) rig...

David, your amazing work has been a pretty powerful incentive for me to keep thinking about getting another FFB!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4