MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Soldering iron recommendations?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Soldering iron recommendations?
DabiDabDab
link

Found this, official distributor, Hakko FX-888D - 98 euros, discounted for a limited period of time, grab one if you are near, shipping is 16 euros.
banedox
Thanks for this thread! The search function works Hazzah!

I need to pick up a iron for myself!

What do you guys think of this iron?

http://www.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-MODEL-4040-Soldering-MAGNIFYING/dp/B003 TC8EQS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
jhulk
for every day stuff i use antex they are cheap and work well

for desoldering i use a hakko desoldering gun for through hole

for smd rework i use chip quick desoldering alloy and there sticky flux

works a treat and no heat damage unlike heat guns

i flood with flux for rework and for smd lots of flux is the key for smd as it flows on just the joints

i use only leaded solder flows better and does not suffer from growth

when they make a non leaded solder thats as good as leaded versions then i might change but most of the repair work i do is mostly from stuff soldered by non leaded process

for cleaning of solder flux i use sonic bath with 99.9% iso just chuck the finished solderd pcb in and wash comes out clean
fantastic apparatus
i've had an xytronic 137esd for around 14 years and i am not a casual solderer. i really want to buy a fun, expensive, new toy, name brand, flashy station but it just won't break. i've only worn out one tip in that time too. it was the one that got wet sponge cleaned at first. cleaning with the fluxed metal wool pad sure seems to contribute to tip longevity.
DJMaytag
What would be a good solder sucking device? Would one of those pump/guns work, or would a dedicated desoldering machine be preferable? I saw a Aoyue 474+ at a pawn shop, but it was listed at $60. Not sure if that's a good deal or if a pump sucker would do just fine?
Paul Perry
DJ, almost everything I own is secondhand or scavenged, but if that pWan shop sucker is used, I would be careful. Because, the one key thing about any sucker is that you have to be totally meticulous and regular about cleaning it if you want to get any life out of it at all.
thetwlo
how well do the smoke absorbers work?
worth it? or does it just get in the way and not do too much?

http://yihua-soldering.com/product-2-2-soldering-rework-station-en/147 673
jayhurst
thetwlo wrote:
how well do the smoke absorbers work?
worth it? or does it just get in the way and not do too much?

I've had just as much luck with a small, personal-sized, plastic, $7, 8 inch fan, set to 'low'. seriously, i just don't get it
realitycontrol
Do they produce a weller wlc100 for the UK market?
Each time I search it comes up with a whs40 as a replacement which appears to be around twice the cost!
LED-man
After some years with soldering experience, my result: Weller and Ersa are very good.
But if you want the best industry stuff, it's highly recommend to use brands like JBC Tools.
http://www.jbc-tools.com/
Great for THT and SMT, warmup time is 10 seconds with automatic sleep and hibernate. Costs around 500$

mandzaro
JBC is awsome
[/quote]
keninverse
JBC is where it's at but kurtz-ersa, pace and even the higher end hakko's are nice.
momo
My first iron which I used for several years was a cheap as chips Antex, I think it cost something like £15 from Maplin - still have it somewhere! The tips were really fat - I've lost count on the number of capacitor housings and plastic knob shafts I've accidentally singed with that silly sausage!

Around five years ago I moved to a Metcal MX500P - love it love it love it. I've tried a Weller besides the aforementioned Antex, so am not terribly well informed, but I see Metcal/Oki as the super league of irons. Auto heat detection and a 'sleeper' iron holder that auto shuts off the power as you park your iron in it. It also heats up from cool in about 4 seconds woah So many neat touches.

A completed listings eBay search reveals a basic base unit MX500P i.e the unit and a soldering hand piece and holder goes for just over £100 which is astonishing given the engineering and build. They come highly recommended by me. Note that since my buy, Metcal / Oki have released a newer version, still called MX-500 I think, smaller (it now has a switch mode power supply, so is physically smaller and presumably lighter) and with a digital display. They go for much more. I am not so inclined to 'upgrade' since it is a refinement of the line rather than an outright overhaul. And due to the model's auto heat detection, a digital display is a nicety rather than necessity.

Any Wiggler in London is welcome to visit and check out - you will not be disappointed. thumbs up
JozeyWhales
I picked up a Weller Wes 51 and the unit failed less than a month later. The temperature control feedback stopped working so it can either turn on all the way or turn off. I'm very disappointed with this piece of equipment. I think I'm going to go with a Hakko next round.
GhostlyMostly
My husband just gave me a HakoFX888D for my birthday.
I think it's a keeper thumbs up
keyofnight
JozeyWhales wrote:
I picked up a Weller Wes 51 and the unit failed less than a month later. The temperature control feedback stopped working so it can either turn on all the way or turn off. I'm very disappointed with this piece of equipment. I think I'm going to go with a Hakko next round.

Damn. I just bought a Weller WES51. Let's hope it lasts longer than a goddamned month. very frustrating
calaveras
WES51 all day.
My soldering got 100% better when I switched from a fixed temp Archer to a temp controlled Weller.
Plus it's a really cool color blue.
abelovesfun
I use a WES51 and love it.
This list has two options, one nice (WES51) and one cheap, along with other tools (and links to purchase).
http://aisynthesis.com/diy-electronics-tools-you-need/
keyofnight
abelovesfun wrote:
I use a WES51 and love it.

calaveras wrote:
WES51 all day.
My soldering got 100% better when I switched from a fixed temp Archer to a temp controlled Weller.
Plus it's a really cool color blue.

Cool! Good. My WES51 has a chance, then. Rock on, ya'll!

Rockin' Banana!
Moog$FooL$
recently picked up a Hakko fx888d on sale here in Canada.
lovessess it!!!!! thumbs up thumbs up Lotsa Love Lotsa Love Lotsa Love headbang headbang

best tool i've bought in a long while.

d.
Morley
I've had the weller wsm1 c recommended to me, but it's so pricey. Is there anything in Europe that I should look out these days? I like the weller features and size, but it's just too pricey..
Moog$FooL$
how about this Haako i mentioned above??

seriously, i just don't get it
Morley
Moog$FooL$ wrote:

when I eventually found a Shop selling them in Europe, I ordered one!
neil.johnson
Moog$FooL$ wrote:

Why the despair? It's a great tool - I have one on my desk at work, quicker than wandering down to the lab to use one of the Metcal's for quick jobs.

Neil
thegrinch
ZD-99 is what I use in my workshop. Super affordable and does everything it needs to. I've had it for years now and it's never given me any problems. Well worth the $12.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zd-99-soldering-station-us-plug.html?count rycode=US&gclid=CPb_k9vay9QCFUtYDQod14UAww&gclsrc=aw.ds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 6 of 7