MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

voice of saturn sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author voice of saturn sequencer
scozbor
anyone built one of these?
any comments or opinions?

http://www.curiousinventor.com/kits/voice_of_saturn_sequencer

looks like a fun/cheap sequencer.
it runs of a 9v battery (though you can use an <18v adapter).
does this mean it outputs CV of up to +9V ?
what sort of cv voltages do I need to be effective for pitch/mod uses in my blacet/frac system?

Thanks! Mr. Green
eyehue
i haven't built or used one of these, but i have built a Baby Ten sequencer. the Voice of Saturn seems to be a tricked out Baby Ten as far as i can tell. the videos seem pretty cool and fun, plus in my opinion there just aren't enough sequencer options in this price range. i'm not sure what voltages this design puts out, but i am sure it's totally appropriate for some frac fun. i use my Baby Ten in conjunction with my Binary Zone all the time and it's great stuff to synch up. i'll bet the Voice of Saturn sequencer is a great addition to just about any modular setup. plus the fact that it can be up to ten steps can create some nice poly-rhythms or sweet 5/4 timing. i say go for it if you were thinking about it. i plan on adding a Hex Zone to my sequencing abilities real soon, looking forward to Binary, Hex and Baby Ten all timed together.
johnnymad
i say go for it. if i were you, i'd buy just the pcb.
johnnymad
eyehue wrote:
i plan on adding a Hex Zone to my sequencing abilities real soon.

me too! i'm ordering a binary zone and hex zone next week!!! hyper
eyehue
johnnymad wrote:
eyehue wrote:
i plan on adding a Hex Zone to my sequencing abilities real soon.

me too! i'm ordering a binary zone and hex zone next week!!! hyper

awesome! you'll have the Hex before me, but i just scored an EG1! hooray modules!
johnnymad
yep. i'm getting both as kits though, which means it could be a while before they're built.
flippantminister
that looks really cool, and it is reasonably priced as well...
Luka
baby 10 was the first thing i ever built
i made a trigger sequencer for my circuit bent gear
easy peasy
i would just make one on perf board if i were you
futuresoundsystems
Yeah, it would probably be easier/cheaper to just build one on veroboard or stripboard.
wetterberg
gah, I can't believe my message got swallowed before... anyway:

this looks like a relatively easy construction, non? That's the original Baby Ten, as far as I know. Same chip as the Voice of Saturn, but without the 555 internal clock.
gaslampmusehog

this is what i did with my v.o.s.s.
for how cheap it was i really like it
Kwote
gaslampmusehog wrote:

this is what i did with my v.o.s.s.
for how cheap it was i really like it

damn. that is way sicc housing. tin box. real classic.
scozbor
thanks for comments and info everyone.
I think I might get the pcb

very nice work gaslampmusehog! I like the circular layout! I might do something similar, but I would like to keep it as small as possible.
wetterberg
scozbor wrote:
very nice work gaslampmusehog! I like the circular layout! I might do something similar, but I would like to keep it as small as possible.
slightly oxymoronic then, isn't it? it's either swanky and circular OR small wink
haricots
I built this back in the spring - pretty easy build but LOTS of wiring. Yes, it only goes up to 9V. The gate is a little odd too.
I'd still need to mod so that I run it from an adapter instead of a battery. It must use very little power because I'm still on the same 9Volt!
parasitk
So I'm thinking about getting the basic kit to stick behind a Frac panel. Anyone put one of these into their modular yet? Any hang ups? I'm not even thinking about trying to get it on my Blacet power supply, just want it sitting in the frac.
eyehue
when i was designing my baby ten i was initially going to put it into a frac panel. then it just seemed like it was too big and would use up more panel space than i wanted to spare for it. i think it would require 4-5u of frac space, nearly half a frac! so, i opted for a small wooden puzzle box i got at savers. i am happy i went this route as i am now almost out of frac space. not sure if i posted this here before, but here is my baby ten:

the center knob is a rotary switch to choose between number of steps. top left is internal clock speed, reset and clock out. Lower left is clock in. Lower right is CV out. Left side panel is the ten trigger outs.
Kwote
that shit is way cool. i especially like the wood enclosure and the clock graphic.

are those led's board mounted?
eyehue
Kwote wrote:
that shit is way cool. i especially like the wood enclosure and the clock graphic.

are those led's board mounted?

thanks, man!

i always wanted a round sequencer, seems to make more sense to me. the LEDs are actually just squeezed into perfect size holes in the wood, hehe.

i wish i could find more of those wood puzzle boxes, i always look at savers for them, where i found the two i have. ideally, i'd like all my little noise makers and modular accompaniment pieces to be in those same boxes to keep them aesthetically uniform. for now, though, just the two. here is the baby ten's relative, a Music From Outer Space Weird Sound Generator, with a few mods and CV capabilities so it can partner up with the baby ten:

fonik
haricots wrote:
Yes, it only goes up to 9V. The gate is a little odd too.
I'd still need to mod so that I run it from an adapter instead of a battery. It must use very little power because I'm still on the same 9Volt!

i built a dual channel baby10 1 2/2 years ago (and the saturn is obviously nothing but a baby10). the trigger level is about 1/2 of the supply voltage. so if you want to power it from i.e. 12V (like i do), you will have to provide the additional trigger signal of more than 6V. i incorporated ken stones gate2trigger converter to be able to trigger it with almost anything.

BTW i just a stripboard for the IC and panel mounted all the rest eek!
here are some pics of the unit, the most expensive part was the panel:

the finished unit

open cabinet

the mains connected

counter IC and CGS gate2trigger

hairness?

close-up of three steps

close-up of controls/in-outs
eyehue
looks like MFOS has a baby ten sequencer now, also:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/TENSTEPSEQUENCER/TENSTE PSEQUENCER.php
Luka
its funny seeing a baby 10 in such a professional looking case matthias.

here is my baby10 trigger sequencer used to trigger bends

this was the first electronic project i built
and it made me realise that building and modding things was much cooler than breaking things (circuit bending)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1