MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author 2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
amnesia
Isnt it about time Nord got back to releasing the Nord Modular?
CDavis
Yeah probably. But does it have to be orange?
stk
I don't know, but it does seem about time for this question to pop up again grin
(I reckon you'd have a hard time selling people on a software editor though)

And the NM was red, it's the uWXT that is orange (and sooo beautiful!)
secretkillerofnames
No. Korg should re-release the Nord G1.
Make it editable only on an iPad.
teezdalien
Not likely... The G2 almost sank Clavia. Damn shame really. waah
secretkillerofnames
Or maybe Native Instruments should release Reaktor 6? hihi
stk
secretkillerofnames wrote:
Or maybe Native Instruments should release Reaktor 6? hihi

hihi just checked my email, too grin
fac
teezdalien wrote:
Not likely... The G2 almost sank Clavia. Damn shame really. waah

Did it, really? The Nord Leads have always been strong sellers, and I don't think the G2 did worse than the first-gen Nord Modulars.
schemawound
I can fully understand why Clavia wouldn't want to get involved in it. It's a niche market and they have done very well in several broader markets. What I am surprised by is the fact that no one else has ever picked up the reigns on a similar project.

I had the Nord Micro Modular and loved it. The aspect of letting me program on a computer but then take the whole package with me was very attractive. I know there would be some trouble getting this idea going now because of tablets and laptops but I really think those miss some of the reliability and ease of a dedicated device.
sb
I'd just be happy with an iPad Editor. I'd also be happy to pay $$ for it.
teezdalien
fac wrote:
Did it, really? The Nord Leads have always been strong sellers, and I don't think the G2 did worse than the first-gen Nord Modulars.

Pretty sure I remember reading about it somewhere, might have been on electro-music... The development of the G2 nearly sent them bankrupt and didn't sell that well initially. The sales of the electro and stage pianos kept them going. seriously, i just don't get it

Sad as the G2 is such an amazing beast, and seems they're pretty sought after these days.
PraxisCat
Generally speaking, I don't think the market is that niche anymore. It was at the time clavia released it, but it has expanded significantly. Much of the market has to do with timing. You can have the right product come out at the wrong time.
adam
i think one mistake they made with the g2 was that you either had to go for the reasonably priced engine that had no controls (one led on the front i think), or pay more than double for the keyboard version - all the g1 models had controls and a display of some sort
fac
edit: the post belonged to other thread
soundwave106
schemawound wrote:
What I am surprised by is the fact that no one else has ever picked up the reigns on a similar project.

IMHO computers and VSTs have kind of dampened the market for hardware VA synths... let alone more niche markets like VA modular. It's actually surprising to some degree that Nord still bothers with the Lead 4 / A1 line.

Having said that, one wonders if Roland has thought of extending their System 1 plug out concept to a "plug out" that is more modular...
stk
Agree to the above, and also (apart from hardcore fans, who matter naught) what would be the point?

G1 was released when laptops cost a mint. I got my first Compaq (ugh) something something during the middle years of the the G1 reign, cost upwards of 3k.

These days, it's a different market.
_seph
exactly. in '00 my PowerBook G3 cost me roughly $3K... and as an original owner of the Nord Modular I'm still disgruntled towards Clavia to this day.

I think that Roland currently has a great idea with their Aira series. the System-1/1m and its newly released System-100 Plug-Out gets somewhat into the virtual modular territory. then the Aira modules themselves are self-contained virtual modulars. personally I'm very eager to see how they continue to develop this line.

I have zero interest in a new modular from Clavia ...seriously, why? for $99 I added OSCiLLOT to Live and if it weren't for nostalgia I'd have already sold my aging Nord.
ersatzplanet
schemawound wrote:
What I am surprised by is the fact that no one else has ever picked up the reigns on a similar project.

The closest I have seen in the hardware realm has been the monome Aleph and the Axoloti. The Axoloti seems like a very sweet and very small rig.

It doesn't have the controls or keyboard of the Nord, it is designed to be controlled via MIDI but it is still quite functional.

I feel like many do. I think the Nord was ahead of its time and suffered in sales. I think the current times are much more suited for the Nord Modular now. The optimum thing to do would be make a Nord Micro Modular in a Eurorack format with CV and Audio I/O. THAT would really be cool.

I alway thought that Teenage Engineering could make a cool module too.
Umcorps
ersatzplanet wrote:

I feel like many do. I think the Nord was ahead of its time and suffered in sales. I think the current times are much more suited for the Nord Modular now.

I think its arguable that the current times owe quite some debt to the Nord Modular. I think it had an important role in reviving the interest in modular synthesis during the mid 90's doldrums. I'm not so sure that Eurorack in particular would be quite so healthy as it is now if the Nord Modular had never been.

It was certainly my gateway drug.
wednesdayayay
i wish the axoloti was available for purchase
amnesia
_seph wrote:

I have zero interest in a new modular from Clavia ...seriously, why? for $99 I added OSCiLLOT to Live and if it weren't for nostalgia I'd have already sold my aging Nord.

Oh thanks for the OSCiLLOT idea. This is great!
ersatzplanet
amnesia wrote:
_seph wrote:

Oh thanks for the OSCiLLOT idea. This is great!

It is a great piece of software and its only limitation is that you have to take your laptop or some other computer, MIDI controller, and audio interface to the gig or jam. The Nord was all in one package when you were done making the patches. You could jump painlessly between patches, have 4 patches available at one time playing all at once if you wanted to (play a melody over a couple of sequencers for instance), and 15 pages of control knobs with text descriptors above them for easy live editing. Four audio ins and outs available too for processing internally. It was a very nice package.

If I was only going to stay in the studio, there is no contest. Many of the software solution like Oscillot, Reaktor, MAX, Pure Data and more will fill the need perfectly. The Nord and all of them are all digital. The DAW and VCT based ones are easier to record and always much cheaper. The difference is only there when you want to leave the studio and want a reliable piece of gear to take with you. I had a G1 and G2 and still have a G1 now and have never had them crash on me once.
thetechnobear
ersatzplanet wrote:

It doesn't have the controls or keyboard of the Nord, it is designed to be controlled via MIDI but it is still quite functional.

Im adding Ableton Push support to Axoloti... so hopefully that should address the UI side smile

early dev version... from a few weeks ago...

ersatzplanet
That is very sweet. I have an old Mackie C4 controller and would love to get it to work like that. There are 32 knobs and LCD strips on it.
thetechnobear
ersatzplanet wrote:
That is very sweet. I have an old Mackie C4 controller and would love to get it to work like that. There are 32 knobs and LCD strips on it.

this thread over at Ableton forum suggests that the C4 LCD can be programmed via SysEx, which is exactly the way Im doing it on the Push,
so seems like it would be possible.

once, I've done the Push, I suspect adding other controllers will be easier.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6