NI releases Reaktor 6

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

beedeesmith
Common Wiggler

NI releases Reaktor 6

Post by beedeesmith » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:39 am

Native Instruments has released Reaktor 6.

Zon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:20 am

The blocks look very interesting, nice design.
A wanderer in the desert, a merchant offering his wares.

ben jah men
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ben jah men » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:02 am

So cool that this made it to release without any hype.

It looks absolutely incredible. All the updates seem to make total sense. Lets see how people respond that are higher level programmers than I.

I'm not thrilled that they are saying I will need to update OS X to 10.9... I just rolled back to 10.8.5 a few months ago hoping to gain better performance due to having an older machine.

I'm going for it though, this is the "Reaktor" I have always wanted.. Basically what I've been waiting for. Well.. Time will tell!

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:43 am

[video][/video]

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:07 pm

For some reason Live doesn't see the VST even though it is in the folder. Any ideas?

*sorted: I had to switch to 64bit, reaktor 6 doesnt do 32bit
Last edited by Smais on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jabs
Common Wiggler

Post by jabs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Komplete 11 incoming soon? I'm kinda holding out for that, depending what else is getting exciting updates.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:32 pm

hm---let's see, final out from dpo into an output from the doepfer sequencer...
es-3 without connection...optomix without input...
ah well, nevermind, it is just for decoration

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:16 pm

:lol: Well I guess if there was a competition 'win $1000 by answering what's wrong with this photo' for edm crowd/public they tried to appeal to with choice of sounds in their trailer... NI could feel safe about their thousand. :miley:

________

...upd. Also look at the screen: now Reaktor has some metasonix! :roll: :twisted:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:26 pm

hehe, yes. ^
ah well, i've waited soooo long for this reaktor 6 and now i couldn't care less. and why do these new and fancy software products always have to look like some kind of plastic toys?? anyway, i will update and have a look into these new edm building blocks!

yghartsyrt
permanent entropy

Post by yghartsyrt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:56 pm

I'm incredibly underwhelmed.
Sure it's cheaper now. It has a lot of core stuff that new and a new interface and this blocks thing, which does audio-rate modulation. But compared to Max 7 this looks kind of lame.
Plus - no new ensembles is really bizarre.
Is there a demo somewhere? I couldn't find one

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:20 pm

(ignore)
WEBSITE
Rob Ae wrote:plugging CV gate cables in my mouth, to taste the voltages, turned out to enhance my skills.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:39 pm

people are saying the "blocks" sound really great.

i'll probably wait to see if they roll reaktor6 into next komplete version.. not really sure i need anything else in komplete though.. haven't updated that in a long while. depends what else they add/update etc.

but $99 is reasonable i guess. (though i'm more curious about whatever Madrona labs does next)

it's still not a nord modular interface ;)

but i digress....

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Y'know... as an environment it kinda looks more of a creative space than Ableton (which I bought) right now to me. Well yeah, it can't host VSTs – understandably, – but then in a teaser I saw an UI with several sequencers, vcos, drums, or whatever, and it makes sense to me: it's kinda like a table full of gadgets and instant overview of it, comes handy. A usual DAW with all those plugin windows floating around looks clumsy in comparison, or Live again... you can't really see what's going on in your Operator if you e.g have your Drum Rack open... you know?

So that looks really good now.

I think if I had that, first things first I would've programmed a few simple drum synths and arranged them so I have something like volca beats on screen - xox grid, maybe 10 tracks, and then settings for those 10 at the top, each with their own engine... like snare, clap, fm perc... etc kinda thing. Is there anything like that at all in the plugin world? It sucks so much there is like 1,000,000 f**ken compressors, and then delay plugins, but nothing remotely similar to insta hands-on drum machine. Where's all that?? I just would like a single window with built-in sequencer and few parameters per part, so you could jam. I can't even recall anything like that except Sonic Charge uTonic. :sadbanana:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:03 pm

Listened to some of the sample tracks, sounds like a computer. Turned up my modular, no comparison. Meh
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:04 pm

well I personally welcome our new overlords...

it does look interesting and I might actually even create my own stuff with these blocks..

..but like many others I think I'll wait for Komplete 11...I have Komplete 9 and really felt there was no need to go for 10 but add in Reaktor 6, molekular and I'll be there.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Bought it, and quite like it. The workflow is great, and... FEEDBACK. It hasn't been this easy to patch feedback in a software module since the Nord Modular. The Blocks that come with it are already quite good, especially the filters.

I'm thinking of resurrecting my Max Euromax project for Reaktor and creating a bunch of Eurorack-emulation Blocks.

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Good to hear.
The moment this popped up in my email, I thought hmmm, I may be better off spending the money for a G2 on a faster Mac and the $99 Reaktor upgrade.

Raytracer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raytracer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:43 pm

thelizard wrote:Bought it, and quite like it. The workflow is great, and... FEEDBACK. It hasn't been this easy to patch feedback in a software module since the Nord Modular. The Blocks that come with it are already quite good, especially the filters.

I'm thinking of resurrecting my Max Euromax project for Reaktor and creating a bunch of Eurorack-emulation Blocks.
Looks like some thought has been put into the block building side of things as well.

Intro to building using the Blocks Template

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Looks pretty cool, will probably upgrade.
I quite like the blocks concept (and look). As someone who has spent thousands of hours in Reaktor (and Euro) I'm kind of bored of that world, want more instant gratification for making music so :tu:

Raytracer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raytracer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:58 pm

Shame there is no script module. Generative tasks would be much easier.. :(

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Raytracer wrote:Shame there is no script module. Generative tasks would be much easier.. :(
That is a shame. Bunch of (not instant gratification) stuff I want to do involving sequencing would be far more neat & straightforward to do in code rather than visually.

Bacchus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bacchus » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:07 pm

Just thought it would be good to let you guys know that there's been quite a few wigglers involved in the development of Reaktor 6. It was made with love, and it was made with wigglers in mind.

There's a lot of brand new DSP in the Blocks, and a huge amount of time and effort was put into making sure you can abuse them just like you would a real module - everything handles feedback and audio-rate modulation gracefully for example. In my view (admittedly biased), using Blocks is the first time since the original Nord Modular that I've replicated that feeling I get from a real modular in software. There's a whole world of interesting sound in just cross-patching a couple of modules.

Hope everyone enjoys this, and rest assured it's just the beginning ;)

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:12 pm

AdamJay wrote:faster Mac
^This^

It's to be expected as my mac isn't remotely new but some of the included collections of blocks are running roughshod over my cpu.

I've only had a quick play but I'm digging it and when weirdo blocks start showing up in the user library ... :deadbanana:

Raytracer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raytracer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:12 pm

stk wrote:
Raytracer wrote:Shame there is no script module. Generative tasks would be much easier.. :(
That is a shame. Bunch of (not instant gratification) stuff I want to do involving sequencing would be far more neat & straightforward to do in code rather than visually.
Some stuff is sooo much easier in code. I tried making a CV pitch quantiser in Reaktor and couldn't get it to work.

Raytracer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raytracer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Bacchus wrote:In my view (admittedly biased), using Blocks is the first time since the original Nord Modular that I've replicated that feeling I get from a real modular in software. There's a whole world of interesting sound in just cross-patching a couple of modules.
It does look promising.

Return to “Music Software”