MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting Pitch tracking a guitar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Disting Pitch tracking a guitar
nedavine
Any body tried this and had success? The main problem I am having is if I stop a note the thing goes bonkers throwing out pitches left and right. When I actually play the tracing on high note sis pretty good (it wont track anything on the E and A strings).
erstlaub
Its one of those things where you really have to throw in a few more utilities for it to play nice.

A bandpass between the guitar and disting let's you tighten up the range you're using.

A sample or track and hold and an envelope follower or comparator to trigger before the osc will tame the squarglefarts a bit.
Apola Kipso
I had better results going through a distortion pedal first, it's also helpful to go through a bandpass and emphasize the range you'll be playing in. I wouldn't expect more than an octave though. Rockin' Banana!

You'll never get as stable a result with a plucked instrument as you'd get with a blown or bowed one though I suppose. Maybe os has more tips on how to best feed the algorithm?
Apola Kipso
One more thought: an octaver pedal might help, allowing you to play the lower strings and transposing the pitch to something the Disting can grasp more reliably. These pedals are less accurate the lower you go, so this might only compound the problem, but it's probably worth a try.
JES
Another option from the disting thread: clockable lfo goes into audio rate. I've even had some ok results with bass.

I use an Entry Point which also puts out a square wave, which is quite good for tracking.
nedavine
Apola Kipso wrote:
I had better results going through a distortion pedal first, it's also helpful to go through a bandpass and emphasize the range you'll be playing in. I wouldn't expect more than an octave though. Rockin' Banana!

You'll never get as stable a result with a plucked instrument as you'd get with a blown or bowed one though I suppose. Maybe os has more tips on how to best feed the algorithm?

I did this. I went through a bandpass first but the best tracking I got was from my Joyo american sound with the mid pushed and bass treble rolle doff. I guess I need an envelope follower to lose the "JHGSHSJKKJDFB" between notes.
basicbasic
Not 100% sure this will have any effect, but using flatwound strings might help.

Either way, flatwounds sound great!
Apola Kipso
nedavine wrote:
I guess I need an envelope follower to lose the "JHGSHSJKKJDFB" between notes.

I'd like some sort of CV bandpass S+H that only samples new values if the input CV is within a given range (to only pass CV from the Disting that's in my targeted range of notes). I guess this could be achieved with two comparators for the upper and lower threshold in series ANDing the S+H trigger. Or it could be done with a Euroduino, that'd be a perfect little helper program.
c0ntr4d1ct10n
Ive had some luck using disting to track my guitar and then patching the pitch and gate to General CV to output midi to my Roland Juno ds88. Definitely getting some interesting results - very avante garde piano and violin sounds. No luck in getting consistent notes though.

However, I wonder if there is some way to create some sort of arpeggiated patch, where the scale is determined by the harmonics (similar to the Meris Enzo pedal)?
strangegravity
Nice old thread I'm surprised it didn't have more conversation. I find with any pitch tracker I've used, high frequencies work better. It's easier for the tracking to lock on to more dense oscillation.

I got a Sonnus years back and the Disting 4 tracks better. You just nees to boost your signal to 10 vpp or better and play high notes.
tuj
So most of the algorithms for pitch detection use zero-crossing as a key component of determining the fundamental. Using a distortion or a diode clipper or overdriving a VCA all result in a square-ish wave that is easier to track because the high order harmonics are not presenting as zero-crossing events. I have used the RS-35 to track guitar using this technique combined with a low-pass filter into the pitch input.
stickman
IMO use a Roland hex pickup and pedal, can be had cheap second hand and probably cheaper than what you'd need to occupy gear wise otherwise to get a worse result.

It will open up other doors too

Gt001 will give you mono pitch to midi as a cheaper option
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1