MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap alternative to Tolex?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Cheap alternative to Tolex?
oozitron
Building a pair of shallow cabs that will hook together as a big suitcase. They're made out of plywood, and while just painting it black would be OK, I'd have to do a lot of filling and sanding first to made the joints and corners look decent.

Tolex would be perfect, except for the fact that it's pretty pricey. Any suggestions for a different kind of 'glue on' covering that is cheap but still looks half decent?

tanks, Drew
loydb
Industrial carpet remnants, you can probably get it free if you ask around at carpet stores and tell them what it's for.
slo
I went to the fabric shop and got some black vinyl. It sort of looks like car upholstry, very tough and easy to glue, think faux leather.

George
oozitron
Thanks fellow wigglers smile

Drew
bf
I'm not sure on cost, but this SUV has an interior trimmed in whale penis leather. Might want to research it for an interesting alternative.
davebr
Go to a auto upholstery shop and look at their tonneau cover material. I have bought some with an orange peel finish that was indistinguishable from Tolex. It also has the advantage of being very wide (72", I think) so I have often been able to only have seams on the bottom of mid-size cabinets.

Dave
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1