MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Large MU Sequencer Comparison
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Large MU Sequencer Comparison
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

These mock ups of the 569 ES Lite and EG Lite . . .

So just to clarify these are custom rework ideas you have and there is a possibility they could be built some day by Moon or another talented builder?
Yes, these are just 'photoshopped' ideas and I don't know what the possibility of Moon ever making these is. seriously, i just don't get it I ran the idea by Gert and he seemed to like it, FWIW. cool If I had lots of money to throw around I could pay Gert or someone to do a one-off of each for me but I don't. waah At the very least, if I get caught up on other outstanding projects/commitments I could do a horrible kludge job by making the panels up and then mounting the current 569ES and 569EG back INSIDE my rack and then put plugs in all 64 jacks and wire them to the 8 rotary switches on my new panels . . . . zombie eek! zombie
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:

Yes, these are just 'photoshopped' ideas and I don't know what the possibility of Moon ever making these is. seriously, i just don't get it I ran the idea by Gert and he seemed to like it, FWIW. cool If I had lots of money to throw around I could pay Gert or someone to do a one-off of each for me but I don't. waah At the very least, if I get caught up on other outstanding projects/commitments I could do a horrible kludge job by making the panels up and then mounting the current 569ES and 569EG back INSIDE my rack and then put plugs in all 64 jacks and wire them to the 8 rotary switches on my new panels . . . . zombie eek! zombie

I pulled the trigger on the Moon 969 today so I may be asking some more questions as I get it going! Rockin' Banana!

I went all in and ordered both the expansions!

I have some DIY skills and have a few friends with some talent so perhaps this is something I could help make happen as I get more involved.

I am selling some stuff to make up for todays purchases and position myself to pick up a used 960 (if I ever see one) or perhaps get the Mos-Lab 960 some day. hyper Assuming it is available etc.

It would be great to get my hands on a 960 sometime after I am comfortable with the 969 to really appreciate the differences.

I would like to thank everyone again for all the input with my decent into large format sequencers. applause

Once I get it rolling and have something worth sharing I will post a video.
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
I pulled the trigger on the Moon 969 today so I may be asking some more questions as I get it going! Rockin' Banana!

Congrats! w00t Dono-Kun Dance w00t
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:
ActionMaxVA wrote:

Congrats! w00t Dono-Kun Dance w00t

Thanks! A bit scary but excited. It's peanut butter jelly time!

I have decide to let the Octopus and the Oberkorn go. meh
Hoping to even out a bit after that.
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
I have decide to let the Octopus and the Oberkorn go.
sad banana If possible you should hang onto them until you get your 569 and play with it a while, just in case you regret the decision and want one of both back.

Oh yeah, I just measured and the Moon 569 wont comfortably fit in a Synthesizers.com Box11 case. I don't know what case you are planning on but make sure it will fit!
VinceL
JohnLRice wrote:

Oh yeah, I just measured and the Moon 569 wont comfortably fit in a Synthesizers.com Box11 case. I don't know what case you are planning on but make sure it will fit!

John, I'm really surprised that it won't fit. hmmm..... I've never tried to put my 569 in a Box11, but all Moon modules seem pretty shallow(comparable to Dotcom).

I do have a Klee sequencer in my Box11. It is 6 spaces wide like the 569, and I would think comparable depth. I have one of the early Box11's where the power connector in the back was pretty close to the middle. The Klee would not fit because of the power connector. There is another hole to mount the power connector close to the end of the Box11. I moved the power connector and the Klee fits fine (in spaces 1-6). Mr. Green

I believe the Box11 now comes with the power connector mounted towards the end. Even though the "spec" for a Box11 says 3 inches deep, you can't put a module that deep in front of the power connector.
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:
ActionMaxVA wrote:
I have decide to let the Octopus and the Oberkorn go.
sad banana If possible you should hang onto them until you get your 569 and play with it a while, just in case you regret the decision and want one of both back.

Such an enabler!

very frustrating Buying before I sell is always dangerous.
I will give them a few more sessions before I sell. hyper

Voidshell shared a beautiful concept : if I have not used it for "X" amount of time, sell it.

We all have to decide our own "X" time but it helps keep things in perspective.

As far as 596 (Thanks for checking) I am using these 99.00 open frame server racks.
They need to be anchored at the top to a wall to make them sturdy enough but the price is right.
There is ample room behind them although I almost should have left more.

I am using Dotcom power so far, QSP2's.
I had to tie wrap them to the back or the rack.
The power leads are not as long as I would like.
I am going to get a better distro system going soon.
I am working in a QSP1 as well.

I have a second server rack to build and plan to put the 596 adjacent to the STG stuff.
Both expansions should fit although the length of the cables remains to be seen.
If I cannot span the 4 inch gap where the racks meet, I will figure something out.

The Dotcom 8 space racks have been a good start for me.
I can also mix in Euro Happy Ending or G6 as well as any 19" rack gear.

Here is a current shot of the system!
I plan to move the bottom Dotcom rack over for the Moon 569. hyper

trentpmcd
Thanks John - the whole thread is great. I vote that it's made into a sticky thread!
ActionMaxVA
trentpmcd wrote:
Thanks John - the whole thread is great. I vote that it's made into a sticky thread!

I agree and feel free to edit out any of my non topic stuff in here or let me know if I need to do it. applause
alternating.bit
I agree on the sticky, at least for that sequencer chart.

Miley Cyrus
JohnLRice
Spreadsheet and image updated to include a basic STG sequencer suite! thumbs up
JohnLRice
Spread sheet and image got a couple updates/corrections.
Moog Trumpet
Very helpful spreadsheet thank you
EPTC
Bringing this thread back to first thank John for the spreadsheet (I still refer to it - Thank you!) And a question about the 960 "3rd Tow Timing" switch.

kindredlost wrote:
A missing "feature" on the spreadsheet is the "3rd Row Timing" switch. It is of course possible to do this with the fourth row of the 569 and still have three rows left like the 960.

kindredlost says this is possible with a 569 - I'm wondering how? - And specifically for me, how could this work with a R24? Is it the same process?

There's a bunch of control inputs on the R24 that I'm not very clear on using just yet - Having fun trying things out - But very curious about setting individual time, or pulse length, per step. Is that determined by sending CV out to from one row to the control input of another? Thanks.
JohnLRice
Thanks Moog Trumpet and EPTC, you are most welcome! cool

The 960 has a built in voltage controlled LFO/clock so by simply routing the row 3 CV into the clock's CV input with the handy switch the 3rd row pots will affect the step timing. It couldn't be easier! thumbs up

The 569's internal clock isn't voltage controllable unfortunately so to use a row to affect timing you need to clock the sequencer externally. So, external VC LFO/clock to 569 Shift input(s) and then the CV out of a row to the CV input of the external VC LFO/clock. spinning

I'm still not very skilled with the R24 yet so I had to stare at it a while and search the manual! oops There is a switch in the clock section (below and to the right of the Frequency pot knob) called CLK MOD. "With this switch, you can assign values from Steps in Row C to internal Clock modulation" So, this seems to work the same as the switch on the 960. thumbs up
EPTC
JohnLRice wrote:
There is a switch in the clock section (below and to the right of the Frequency pot knob) called CLK MOD.

JOHN L RICE FOR PRESIDENT!

Wow, I looked at the manual a number of times and DID NOT SEE THAT, and haven't ever tried clicking that switch. What a fun moment just now.

Not only does that make the R24's bottom row set individual note lengths for each step but you also see a digital read out on the clock of the length (or bpm speed) on each note as it's playing. That's really freaking nice. Surprising at first, though, as the clock spits out tons of random values until you realize it's displaying the bottom row note values.

With the sequencer stopped, you can do this with STEP ADVANCE and get very programmatic with the note length each step.

You can also just place a reset on 2-3 steps on the bottom row (if you'd want a three bar speed of full speed, half, quarter) and that row will loop on three steps in a sequence - but the top two rows will follow the bottom three notes as masters for every three notes. (Adding variety to an eight bar phrase as each new line will have different notes lengths on different notes) How great.

Thanks John - I was convinced the R24 could not do that. What a joy. Really appreciate your help there.
JohnLRice
EPTC wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
There is a switch in the clock section (below and to the right of the Frequency pot knob) called CLK MOD.

JOHN L RICE FOR PRESIDENT!
It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2