MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Large MU Sequencer Comparison
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Large MU Sequencer Comparison
JohnLRice
A big FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH . . . . . .

I thought I could do this quickly but . . . no. meh d'oh! Dead Banana So, this is a start and may have omissions and mistakes. Some sequencers aren't represented as I only added ones I have some experience with or have studied a lot.

The self imposed rules I used were the following and mainly so I had a reasonable chance at doing this mostly from memory and quickly:
* MU only
* 4 MU or larger
* No add-on/aid/expansion modules or modifications referenced
* Currently shipping or announced recently

I'll attach the Excel spreadsheet for those who want to update it. Please rename your version using the following format to keep things straight:
[yourname/initials]_[MMDDYY]_LargeSequencerComparisonMU.xlsx

Here is a picture of the spreadsheet for those without Microsoft Excel or don't want to bother downloading the sheet:
NYMo
Thanks for your valued input JLR !
This will be a great resource for anyone looking for seq specs..should be a sticky.

Cheers
ba1
JLR, Thanks for the info. Are you reconsidering the GRP now?

It seems like a no-brainer. I'm glad to be on the list.

I'm also saving for a Detachment 3 Archangel. Which means selling my euro stuff (not looking back!). Can't decide if I should keep my Q119 when I get the Archangel or if it'll be redundant. Maybe I'll sell it to fund a Moon 563. Hmmm...
JohnLRice
ba1 wrote:
JLR, Thanks for the info. Are you reconsidering the GRP now?
I can't reconsider it right now, mainly due to lack of income and partially due to lack of space and time.

I hope to get a R24 someday though! love hyper

One problem with the wonderful modular boom is that manufacturers keep outdoing each other by packing more and more functionality into modules and you can pretty much spend all your time buying/selling/upgrading and never actually making any music. It's worse in eurorack land but 5U has had its share of "latest and greatest" temptations. eek! cry

I've put a lot of time into getting to know the Moon 569 and I really love it. I'm sure I'd love a GRP R24 too. Can a R24 do everything a M569 can? Pretty close I think but I can't afford to buy one to find out. On features and subjective advantages that the M569 has and the R24 doesn't:
* A 4th Row
* Transpose Input
* expansion panels to provide individual gate I/O per step
* less crowded interface
* takes up less space
Chrutil
JohnLRice wrote:
A big FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH . . . . . .

...and it's worth a lot!!
Thanks John - this is really good info!

C
tvh
This is really helpful - thanks for putting it together!
duluthdack
woah OMFG JLR needs some help

applause applause applause
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

Thanks! woah
alternating.bit
This is very cool man.
I'd add the RANDOM feature, unless the MFOS 16 is the only one that has that?
Tronman
This is great! I've been trying to compare the Q960 and M569 and it hasn't been easy. Now all I have to do is put the respective columns next to each other.
fac
alternating.bit wrote:
This is very cool man.
I'd add the RANDOM feature, unless the MFOS 16 is the only one that has that?

Don't know about the others, but the dotcom Q119 also has a hidden random mode, which can be toggled by a combination of buttons.
EMwhite
It really does look like the ultimate but not sure how feasible it is to make a wholesale trade-up (or if you are in the situation where you have nothing and were prepared to drop $1600).

But if you have a q960 and the sequential switch already (I don't but always wanted that), maybe just pickup a 961s gate sequencer and you will find so much new functionality that you'll make some really great music or better yet, have a lot of fun !!

But that's a great summary, John. Nice to see it all on one screen. You are missing the STG sequencer suite but it's unique features would result in additional feature rows which will only be checked for STG (and missing feature rows elsewhere).

I still like that RYK Roland sequencer. The GRP is an 'everything and the kitchen sink in one' but RYK is something completely different and very live groove/fixed measure based.
EPTC
Thanks so much for this, John! Wow - Dang, you're plenty awesome, man.

This is fun! This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun! This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun! This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is fun! This is fun!
ActionMaxVA
Thanks is the first order for sure. applause applause applause applause

IF you are the Batman of sequencers and I want to be Robyn.
Perhaps Master Po and Grasshopper is a better analogy.

Part of my voyage into 5U was for the sequencers.
I have been wanting that 960 experience.

Wanting to go completely used this go around (as apposed to my Euro) I have grabbed some items.
I am realizing that going completely used is going to be a tall order so I am rethinking that. (Unless anyone want to sell a 960 of some variety? hyper )

Thanks to EMwhite and Bryan B I have built most a Time Suite. applause applause

I got it up and running yesterday and am very happy.

Made a few basic sequences and really like the playability of it already.

Ok so 960 wise I see the following:

Synthesizers.Com Plus the 961,962,963 or Cotk 961

Club of the Knobs plus 961

Mos-Lab plus? (not available yet)

Moon 569 plus 961 or M563 or M568 (nutty)

I remember reading the Moon and either Cotk or Mos-lab had a built in quantizer.
The 4th row of the Moon is a bonus but the price is strong.
I also noted someone said the spacing on the Moon was tight.

It is the kind of thing where if I get any of these rolling I will be happy. nanners

Thoughts anyone?
Pros or cons in the 960 world?
JohnLRice
I updated the spread sheet and image, 11 more rows, more detail and some corrections. I reduced the font size and abbreviated some things to make generating the image more manageable.

Doing this is MUCH more difficult than it would seem!

Again, no disrespect for any manufacturers or models that are not on the sheet and I welcome anyone else who wants to add them! Trying to think how to add all the capabilities when aid/expansion modules are added to the sheet instantly hurt my brain so I didn't even try! MY ASS IS BLEEDING It might be better to do a single sequencer per spread sheet and then show the difference in capabilities added with each additional support module . . .and different combinations of support modules . . . . Dead Banana
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
Synthesizers.Com Plus the 961,962,963 or Cotk 961s
I'd say go Q960, C961s and M564 . . .probably more money but same amount of space and better functionality. thumbs up

ActionMaxVA wrote:
Club of the Knobs plus 961s
Costs more than the Q960 but it is set up to connect behind the panels to the C961s with a simple ribbon cable. thumbs up

ActionMaxVA wrote:
Mos-Lab plus? (not available yet)
Nope, very little is known at this point. hmmm.....

ActionMaxVA wrote:
Moon 569 plus 961 or M563 or M568 (nutty)
With the M569 you really don't need the Q961 or C961s at all. Don't really need a Q962 or M564 either! The M563 isn't really that useful either with a M569 when you consider what it will give you and the cost and space needed. The M568 is a much better companion.

ActionMaxVA wrote:
I remember reading the Moon and either Cotk or Mos-lab had a built in quantizer.
Moon 569 and the proposed GRP R24 and Mos-Lab 960 have quantizers, the rest (in my spreadsheet) don't.

ActionMaxVA wrote:
The 4th row of the Moon is a bonus but the price is strong.
Besides other things it makes it possible to emulate the 960 mo betta! hihi

ActionMaxVA wrote:
I also noted someone said the spacing on the Moon was tight.
It is tighter then a 960 type but not bad at all. Probably not nearly as tight as the GRP R24 from what I can tell.

YES! ALL ABOVE ARE MY OPINIONS! nodnod spinning nodnod
ActionMaxVA
Again, thank you John. applause applause applause applause applause

I appreciate the time you took to respond to my questions.

That takes a lot of work and is substantial knowledge and experience to share.

People like you are what makes muffs so great! Rockin' Banana!

The Moon 569 does not seem as expensive when you factor in it takes care of the 961, M564 and has a quantizer.

That seems like a good choice, especially if I can get by with my Trigger Mini store for a while until I could score the M568

I also could sell ( eek! gasp form a sequencer hoarder eek! ) my OBK and Octopus.

The Octopus was my first love affair with large format hardware but I have gotten so far away from midi in the last 5 years.

It does ok with midi trigger to gates conversion for drums but without control over gate length it tends to gather dust. very frustrating

Cheers!
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
It does ok with midi trigger to gates conversion for drums but without control over gate length it tends to gather dust. very frustrating
That's one instance where a M563 trigger sequencer would be useful to use with a M569 since the M569 doesn't have any internal way to control gate length.

However . . . if you are using an external clock/VCO to drive the M569 and the VCO has CV control over pulse width, you can use one row of the M569 to create a different gate length on every step! w00t

[s]https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/569-gate-on-time-demo[/s]
Bob Borries
This is super handy and it fits into my plan to take over the world.
EMwhite
JohnLRice wrote:
ActionMaxVA wrote:
Costs more than the Q960 but it is set up to connect behind the panels to the C961s with a simple ribbon cable. thumbs up

... then what? The jacks are normalled to break to connection to the associated step number or is the 961 then 100% hardwired?

Does the dotcom have anything over the COTK, maybe it doesn't have the hidden reset row feature on the n'th switch selection?
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:
That's one instance where a M563 trigger sequencer would be useful to use with a M569 since the M569 doesn't have any internal way to control gate length.

However . . . if you are using an external clock/VCO to drive the M569 and the VCO has CV control over pulse width, you can use one row of the M569 to create a different gate length on every step! w00t

Nice example and technique. applause

That would be a handy time to have a 4th row.

If I go with the 569 I will definitely get the 568 someday.

I might have to sell a few less used pieces but that combo would be a powerhouse.

What are your thoughts on the 569 expansions?

569 EG? Having separate outputs for every gate would be handy for some drums (vermona drm1 for example) assuming I could trigger them with the 569.
It would be less relevant for that once the 568 is added.

569 ES would allow me to shorten sequence length with the 569 EG?
Like the 960 trick of patching gate out into step reset?

It would be fun to randomize that a bit with some logic or set it up on a sequential switch for some self playing patches.

I am assuming both the 569EG and ES are supported simultaneously?

So much to consider. seriously, i just don't get it
JohnLRice
EMwhite wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
ActionMaxVA wrote:

... then what?
The COTK C960 is more expensive than the DotCom Q960 by about $250.

EMwhite wrote:
The jacks are normalled to break to connection to the associated step number or is the 961 then 100% hardwired?
I "think" it's connected all the time but I'm not sure.

EMwhite wrote:
Does the dotcom have anything over the COTK, maybe it doesn't have the hidden reset row feature on the n'th switch selection?
The COTK has the hidden reset feature but it is at the first unlabeled counter clockwise position instead of the clockwise unlabeled position like the Q960.

I've never tried a COTK C960 or Moog 960 but based on the one picture I've seen of the COTK C960, it is a more accurate looking clone of the Moog 960 with a main PCB and side planes that I "think" house the two additional PCBs like the Moog original. While all those extra parts in the COTK certainly explain the higher cost I don't know if all of the different brands operate and perform identically or not. seriously, i just don't get it

JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
Yes! thumbs up

ActionMaxVA wrote:
I am assuming both the 569EG and ES are supported simultaneously?
Yes! thumbs up

ActionMaxVA wrote:
What are your thoughts on the 569 expansions?
I only have the 569ES so far. I think at the very least the 569ES is important to have because sometimes 'setting' to step 1 or 8 can work better as a reset than the actual Reset jack. Not always, but in some instances.

For the way I do things I might often want separate gate or set position I/O for one or two steps per row, but almost never 3 to 8 per row. I thought about it a lot and mocked up "lite" versions of both expanders that are only 1 MU wide each. The rotary switches would select which step you want to set or get a gate from per row.

There are 'off' positions adjacent to each step selection of the 12 position switch to make it more playable so you can for example switch between letting your gate source set to step 5 or not with a single click and not have to dial all the way through to a single position that is 'off'.
OFF - 1 - 2 - OFF - 3 - 4 - OFF - 5 - 6 - OFF - 7 - 8

The set module also has a push button per row so you can manual jump to the selected step. (similar to what you can do with the 960 type sequencers). And of course there are LED activity indicators.

These mock ups of the 569 ES Lite and EG Lite aren't labeled correctly at all but the arrangement will give you an idea of how it might look. Not something for everyone as some folks who have the space and need would want to have the original full versions of course.

I'd love to have these as it would make it possible to have a full featured sequencer setup in only 8 MU. love I'm sure Gert at Moon is horribly busy, but if you think you would buy a light version of the 569 expansion modules, send him an email and ask about it! hyper twisted Mr. Green
suitandtieguy
Guinness ftw!
kindredlost
A MASSIVE salute to JLR for this breakdown! we're not worthy we're not worthy applause

A few personal perspectives and very minor corrections...

EMwhite wrote:

The Q960 has a "hidden" RESET selection on the chicken-head rotary. It is to the far right. The Mos-Lab (appears) to have the RESET in the far left position which is IMO a better place to put it. (next to SKIP).

---

A missing "feature" on the spreadsheet is the "3rd Row Timing" switch. It is of course possible to do this with the fourth row of the 569 and still have three rows left like the 960. Set-Point 569!

---

ActionMaxVA wrote:
569 EG? Having separate outputs for every gate would be handy for some drums (vermona drm1 for example) assuming I could trigger them with the 569.
It would be less relevant for that once the 568 is added.

The 960 has OUTPUTS and INPUTS for each step already. The Gate ON time is 90%.

I do think this is where the combination of the 960 and a 563 Trigger Sequencer is a magic combination. The Moon and SimpleSEQ sequencers have row independence unlike the 960 and Q119. thumbs up

---

ActionMaxVA wrote:
Like the 960 trick of patching gate out into step reset?

The "trick" of patching the gate out into the step reset of the 960 is really not necessary on a 960. There is already a RESET position of the knob. The same with the Mos-Lab (I'll assume for now).

---

This brings about another aspect I'd really be remiss in not pointing out which is the PLAYABILITY of a sequencer.

The 960 has a proven track record of being playable in the reset/skip function aspect. Even though I realize it isn't everyone's cup-O-tea, a great example of this is the on-the-fly pattern changes in some of the classic Berlin School recordings. Listen to "Rubycon", "Phaedra", or "Ricochet - Part 1" (latter half). There is something tactile about the rapid changes of the reset/skip points on the 960 sequencer.

Certainly there are more things to a step sequencer than pitch and rhythm duties but it seems that is what most players are drawn to. If so, then why not have the most stage or step flexibility? After all, the step sequencer is mostly used as a linear pitch change tool.

Granted the 569 and SimpleSEQ have a big advantage in the independent row feature but I find the reset and skip control to be more useful.

It's just a personal preference. Relating to how I use it in relation to any other instrument. I truncate or extend a "riff", bass line or linear melody on a guitar/keyboard more often than I work in a complex poly-rhythm. That doesn't devalue the ability to do so with a powerful step sequencer but as far as a performance instrument it is valuable.

I'd consider the COTK C951 as well. An arpeggiator in a lot of ways can give you more mileage than a static sequencer. A listen to any Klaus Schulze or Michael Hoenig output will verify this.

When you have to pre-conceive a RESET or a SKIP function with a separate switch before-hand then it can be less immediate. I can't imagine having to choose between SKIP and RESET by flipping a remote switch.

Therein lies a difference I think is un-explored too often. Rarely does a sequencer come together in a way to make it playable like the 960. YMMV.
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:

These mock ups of the 569 ES Lite and EG Lite aren't labeled correctly at all but the arrangement will give you an idea of how it might look. Not something for everyone as some folks who have the space and need would want to have the original full versions of course.

This a fantastic idea.
I have mixed feelings about space these days.
Part of me says just add more, the 8U racks are cheap enough and I have ample power.
Part of me likes the idea of a more dense system after growing and shrinking in Euro.
So just to clarify these are custom rework ideas you have and there is a possibility they could be built some day by Moon or another talented builder?

kindredlost wrote:

The 960 has OUTPUTS and INPUTS for each step already. The Gate ON time is 90%.

I do think this is where the combination of the 960 and a 563 Trigger Sequencer is a magic combination. The Moon and SimpleSEQ sequencers have row independence unlike the 960 and Q119. thumbs up

The "trick" of patching the gate out into the step reset of the 960 is really not necessary on a 960. There is already a RESET position of the knob. The same with the Mos-Lab (I'll assume for now).

---

This brings about another aspect I'd really be remiss in not pointing out which is the PLAYABILITY of a sequencer.

The 960 has a proven track record of being playable in the reset/skip function aspect. Even though I realize it isn't everyone's cup-O-tea, a great example of this is the on-the-fly pattern changes in some of the classic Berlin School recordings. Listen to "Rubycon", "Phaedra", or "Ricochet - Part 1" (latter half). There is something tactile about the rapid changes of the reset/skip points on the 960 sequencer.

Certainly there are more things to a step sequencer than pitch and rhythm duties but it seems that is what most players are drawn to. If so, then why not have the most stage or step flexibility? After all, the step sequencer is mostly used as a linear pitch change tool.

Granted the 569 and SimpleSEQ have a big advantage in the independent row feature but I find the reset and skip control to be more useful.

It's just a personal preference. Relating to how I use it in relation to any other instrument. I truncate or extend a "riff", bass line or linear melody on a guitar/keyboard more often than I work in a complex poly-rhythm. That doesn't devalue the ability to do so with a powerful step sequencer but as far as a performance instrument it is valuable.

I'd consider the COTK C951 as well. An arpeggiator in a lot of ways can give you more mileage than a static sequencer. A listen to any Klaus Schulze or Michael Hoenig output will verify this.

When you have to pre-conceive a RESET or a SKIP function with a separate switch before-hand then it can be less immediate. I can't imagine having to choose between SKIP and RESET by flipping a remote switch.

Therein lies a difference I think is un-explored too often. Rarely does a sequencer come together in a way to make it playable like the 960. YMMV.

Thank you, these are very relevant points to seemingly obvious things I missed.

The gate ins and outs and the skip/reset switch on the 960 for example.

The row independence of the Moon.

I also appreciate the thoughts on the playability of a sequencer.

The spontaneity of the 960 length/reset playability is very valid for the way I like to play my current sequencers.

The addition of an arpeggiator is also a great idea.

Sometimes the classic Devo synth lines I love so much sound more arpeggiated than sequenced and transposed.

Again thanks for all the time and input. applause applause applause

Feeling more and more like selling some stuff and trying both.

I usually tell myself I will sell which ever one I like less but end up keeping both. very frustrating

Thankfully this has left me some modular equity to deal with situations like these. hihi
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

These mock ups of the 569 ES Lite and EG Lite . . .

So just to clarify these are custom rework ideas you have and there is a possibility they could be built some day by Moon or another talented builder?
Yes, these are just 'photoshopped' ideas and I don't know what the possibility of Moon ever making these is. seriously, i just don't get it I ran the idea by Gert and he seemed to like it, FWIW. cool If I had lots of money to throw around I could pay Gert or someone to do a one-off of each for me but I don't. waah At the very least, if I get caught up on other outstanding projects/commitments I could do a horrible kludge job by making the panels up and then mounting the current 569ES and 569EG back INSIDE my rack and then put plugs in all 64 jacks and wire them to the 8 rotary switches on my new panels . . . . zombie eek! zombie
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:

Yes, these are just 'photoshopped' ideas and I don't know what the possibility of Moon ever making these is. seriously, i just don't get it I ran the idea by Gert and he seemed to like it, FWIW. cool If I had lots of money to throw around I could pay Gert or someone to do a one-off of each for me but I don't. waah At the very least, if I get caught up on other outstanding projects/commitments I could do a horrible kludge job by making the panels up and then mounting the current 569ES and 569EG back INSIDE my rack and then put plugs in all 64 jacks and wire them to the 8 rotary switches on my new panels . . . . zombie eek! zombie

I pulled the trigger on the Moon 969 today so I may be asking some more questions as I get it going! Rockin' Banana!

I went all in and ordered both the expansions!

I have some DIY skills and have a few friends with some talent so perhaps this is something I could help make happen as I get more involved.

I am selling some stuff to make up for todays purchases and position myself to pick up a used 960 (if I ever see one) or perhaps get the Mos-Lab 960 some day. hyper Assuming it is available etc.

It would be great to get my hands on a 960 sometime after I am comfortable with the 969 to really appreciate the differences.

I would like to thank everyone again for all the input with my decent into large format sequencers. applause

Once I get it rolling and have something worth sharing I will post a video.
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
I pulled the trigger on the Moon 969 today so I may be asking some more questions as I get it going! Rockin' Banana!

Congrats! w00t Dono-Kun Dance w00t
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:
ActionMaxVA wrote:

Congrats! w00t Dono-Kun Dance w00t

Thanks! A bit scary but excited. It's peanut butter jelly time!

I have decide to let the Octopus and the Oberkorn go. meh
Hoping to even out a bit after that.
JohnLRice
ActionMaxVA wrote:
I have decide to let the Octopus and the Oberkorn go.
sad banana If possible you should hang onto them until you get your 569 and play with it a while, just in case you regret the decision and want one of both back.

Oh yeah, I just measured and the Moon 569 wont comfortably fit in a Synthesizers.com Box11 case. I don't know what case you are planning on but make sure it will fit!
VinceL
JohnLRice wrote:

Oh yeah, I just measured and the Moon 569 wont comfortably fit in a Synthesizers.com Box11 case. I don't know what case you are planning on but make sure it will fit!

John, I'm really surprised that it won't fit. hmmm..... I've never tried to put my 569 in a Box11, but all Moon modules seem pretty shallow(comparable to Dotcom).

I do have a Klee sequencer in my Box11. It is 6 spaces wide like the 569, and I would think comparable depth. I have one of the early Box11's where the power connector in the back was pretty close to the middle. The Klee would not fit because of the power connector. There is another hole to mount the power connector close to the end of the Box11. I moved the power connector and the Klee fits fine (in spaces 1-6). Mr. Green

I believe the Box11 now comes with the power connector mounted towards the end. Even though the "spec" for a Box11 says 3 inches deep, you can't put a module that deep in front of the power connector.
ActionMaxVA
JohnLRice wrote:
ActionMaxVA wrote:
I have decide to let the Octopus and the Oberkorn go.
sad banana If possible you should hang onto them until you get your 569 and play with it a while, just in case you regret the decision and want one of both back.

Such an enabler!

very frustrating Buying before I sell is always dangerous.
I will give them a few more sessions before I sell. hyper

Voidshell shared a beautiful concept : if I have not used it for "X" amount of time, sell it.

We all have to decide our own "X" time but it helps keep things in perspective.

As far as 596 (Thanks for checking) I am using these 99.00 open frame server racks.
They need to be anchored at the top to a wall to make them sturdy enough but the price is right.
There is ample room behind them although I almost should have left more.

I am using Dotcom power so far, QSP2's.
I had to tie wrap them to the back or the rack.
The power leads are not as long as I would like.
I am going to get a better distro system going soon.
I am working in a QSP1 as well.

I have a second server rack to build and plan to put the 596 adjacent to the STG stuff.
Both expansions should fit although the length of the cables remains to be seen.
If I cannot span the 4 inch gap where the racks meet, I will figure something out.

The Dotcom 8 space racks have been a good start for me.
I can also mix in Euro Happy Ending or G6 as well as any 19" rack gear.

Here is a current shot of the system!
I plan to move the bottom Dotcom rack over for the Moon 569. hyper

trentpmcd
Thanks John - the whole thread is great. I vote that it's made into a sticky thread!
ActionMaxVA
trentpmcd wrote:
Thanks John - the whole thread is great. I vote that it's made into a sticky thread!

I agree and feel free to edit out any of my non topic stuff in here or let me know if I need to do it. applause
alternating.bit
I agree on the sticky, at least for that sequencer chart.

Miley Cyrus
JohnLRice
Spreadsheet and image updated to include a basic STG sequencer suite! thumbs up
JohnLRice
Spread sheet and image got a couple updates/corrections.
Moog Trumpet
Very helpful spreadsheet thank you
EPTC
Bringing this thread back to first thank John for the spreadsheet (I still refer to it - Thank you!) And a question about the 960 "3rd Tow Timing" switch.

kindredlost wrote:
A missing "feature" on the spreadsheet is the "3rd Row Timing" switch. It is of course possible to do this with the fourth row of the 569 and still have three rows left like the 960.

kindredlost says this is possible with a 569 - I'm wondering how? - And specifically for me, how could this work with a R24? Is it the same process?

There's a bunch of control inputs on the R24 that I'm not very clear on using just yet - Having fun trying things out - But very curious about setting individual time, or pulse length, per step. Is that determined by sending CV out to from one row to the control input of another? Thanks.
JohnLRice
Thanks Moog Trumpet and EPTC, you are most welcome! cool

The 960 has a built in voltage controlled LFO/clock so by simply routing the row 3 CV into the clock's CV input with the handy switch the 3rd row pots will affect the step timing. It couldn't be easier! thumbs up

The 569's internal clock isn't voltage controllable unfortunately so to use a row to affect timing you need to clock the sequencer externally. So, external VC LFO/clock to 569 Shift input(s) and then the CV out of a row to the CV input of the external VC LFO/clock. spinning

I'm still not very skilled with the R24 yet so I had to stare at it a while and search the manual! oops There is a switch in the clock section (below and to the right of the Frequency pot knob) called CLK MOD. "With this switch, you can assign values from Steps in Row C to internal Clock modulation" So, this seems to work the same as the switch on the 960. thumbs up
EPTC
JohnLRice wrote:
There is a switch in the clock section (below and to the right of the Frequency pot knob) called CLK MOD.

JOHN L RICE FOR PRESIDENT!

Wow, I looked at the manual a number of times and DID NOT SEE THAT, and haven't ever tried clicking that switch. What a fun moment just now.

Not only does that make the R24's bottom row set individual note lengths for each step but you also see a digital read out on the clock of the length (or bpm speed) on each note as it's playing. That's really freaking nice. Surprising at first, though, as the clock spits out tons of random values until you realize it's displaying the bottom row note values.

With the sequencer stopped, you can do this with STEP ADVANCE and get very programmatic with the note length each step.

You can also just place a reset on 2-3 steps on the bottom row (if you'd want a three bar speed of full speed, half, quarter) and that row will loop on three steps in a sequence - but the top two rows will follow the bottom three notes as masters for every three notes. (Adding variety to an eight bar phrase as each new line will have different notes lengths on different notes) How great.

Thanks John - I was convinced the R24 could not do that. What a joy. Really appreciate your help there.
JohnLRice
EPTC wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
There is a switch in the clock section (below and to the right of the Frequency pot knob) called CLK MOD.

JOHN L RICE FOR PRESIDENT!
It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 2