MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[pcb+panel] ssm2044 filter for eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author [pcb+panel] ssm2044 filter for eurorack
TimoRozendal
intro
Hello sdiy friends,
I'm Timo and I visit this sub forum multiple times a day for over half a year now. It has helped me tremendously so far, fantastic community!
I try to learn as much and as fast as possible, though I have to balance it with time for my familiy and my day job. This is the first thing I can offer to you, the next thing will be my collaboration with Falafelbiels: the Corny Rhythm.
I had a spare ssm2044 because I ordered 2 for another project, so I wanted to make the Fonitronik ssm2044 filter, but since there where no pcbs left and the dual version was a step too far for me I decided to make design my own pcb, with europanel.
The circuit is the same as the rev 3 of the fonitronik circuit (with the extended cutoff option). Matthias kindly gave me permission to offer this set to you all, he also send me this remark fyi:
"just be aware, that the quality of the SSM2044 ICs is not the best. they had quite a bit of variance back then. that's the reason some manufacturers changed to curtis in the 80ies. the issue is that not all SSM2044 will have the same range. "

offer
PCB set: 8 euro (comes with free convertor pcb for SSI2144)
Panel: 7 euro (pcb material)

Shipping worldwide: 4 euro for pcb/panel set

known inconveniences for previous run (v1.0):
footprint for some capacitors is a bit small, but doable (see photos)
silkscreen for 2 capacitors is not clear, I will post a picture to clarify

changes for v1.1:
increased footprint and space for some capacitors
fixed silkscreen unreadability for 2 capacitors
increased space around power header to allow for shrouded header

changes for v1.2:
slightly decreased pcb size

changes for v1.3:
made more room for the 820pF capacitor to allow other package sizes.

pcb, panels are available,

photos (of v.1.0, note that v1.1 has improved PCB layout)

wooden panel is sold out, this is the current panel:

sound demo
I made a quick demo using 1 osc as input, see my soundcloud comments to know more about what is happening.
Please not that for the tuning of the self resonance I used my own calibration system with max for live, I did not try it with a V/Oct signal.
I noticed that you have to choose your calibration: either the cutoff can fully close or can fully open manually. Not a big issue unless you want to use it as a gate. [EDIT: I found a mod to get full range, but this wil bring the voltages at the chip slightly out of the recommended range, see build doc and post later in this thread]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/timorozendal/ssm2044-demo[/s]

orders (first run of 10, 0 left) status: all shipped
funkymogli pcb+panel+chip
clausF pcb+panel+chip
technotron pcb+panel+chip
oberkorn pcb+panel+chip
clement pcb+panel
broon 777 pcb+panel
Smonk pcb+panel
djbrutal pcb+panel
apophis93 pcb+panel
apoisontree pcb

orders (second run of 11, 0 left) status: all shipped
falafelbiels pcb+chip
reality checkpoint pcb+panel
cablebasher pcb+panel+chip
StormB pcb
raph36 2x pcb+2x panel
jjsynth pcb+panel
060171 2x pcb+2x panel
flab 2x pcb

order list for third run::
das ding pcb [shipped]
pwm 2x chip [shipped]
Arjen19691 (sf) pcb+panel+chip [shipped]
synthiak pcb+panel [shipped]
Catfish pcb+panel [shipped]
grenert pcb [shipped]
woodster 2x chip [shipped]
acilator pcb+panel+chip [shipped]
grizzle pcb+panel [shipped]
plasnu 2xpcb [shipped]
mbroers pcb+panel+chip [shipped]
bare bones pcb+panel+chip [shipped]

the 4th run will have a limited amount of wooden panels available (5)
- jackmattson pcb + wooden panel + chip [shipped]
- 060171 4x pcb 4x wooden panel [shipped]
- mistahad pcb+chip [shipped]
- humax5600 pcb + pcb panel + chip [shipped]
- Hip Distroyer pcb + pcb panel + chip [shipped]
- antf4rm pcb + pcb panel + chip [shipped]
- thorncore pcb + pcb panel + chip [shipped]
- volpone pcb + chip [shipped]
- quanty37 pcb + chip [shipped]
- mr sibs pcb + pcb panel + chip
- Conjure pcb + pcb panel + chip

pcb/panels are also avaiable at:
Modular addict

Bom & Build info link
Jarno
Looks great! Fantastic VCF this, I have three in my rack (built from Fonitroniks' schematic), never had any problems with performance of the SSM IC's. It is quite a while ago since I've bought them, so I am not how good/bad they are now.
Self resonance is LOUD!

You could move half of the caps to the bottom side of the PCB, it seems there's room for it.
raisinbag
cool! how think are the panels?
BARE BONES
do you have any audio demos?
Kroaton
I want to listen to some audio demos as well.
TimoRozendal
@jarno:
thanks, yes, great sound!
yes, enough room on the pcb, if there ever will be a second run I will increase the space, but ... I still would like them as close to the chips as possible, especially the decoupling caps.

@raisinbag:
3mm, so you need kobiconns to make it fit, not thonkiconns

@bare bones & kroaton:
soon!... life is a bit busy with a 1 week old daughter, but will do it soon
Kroaton
Congratulations for the daughter!
BARE BONES
found some on Youtube, i'll take a panel/pcb set & chip please, thanks!
DJBRUTAL
In for a pcb & panel. Also interested in the Bass++ when you get permission.
funkymogli
im also in for panel/pcb set & chip smile
thanks!!
oberkorn
well done!
I'll take a set (PCB+Panel+chip) also
hope you get permission to do the other projects
falafelbiels
Can I be in for the next run?

Miley Cyrus

Aren't Matthias en Thomas Henry buddies?
broon_777
Great news! Been looking for a single 2044 board for ages

PCB and panel for me please

Thanks for doing this
Clement
Put me down for a PCB and Panel
SMonk
One pcb + panel for me, please thumbs up
apophis93
One PCB set and panel ! I already have the chip and this will put it to use..

cheers!
-Daniel
TimoRozendal
wow guys, I am amazed by the response... thanks
order list is updated, chips are ordered,

only 1 slot is open in this first run

@Kroaton: thanks!
Jarno
TimoRozendal wrote:
@jarno:
yes, enough room on the pcb, if there ever will be a second run I will increase the space, but ... I still would like them as close to the chips as possible, especially the decoupling caps.

It really doesn't make a big difference for the filter caps, and they are still close-by, just use the same holes, but place one of the two caps on the bottom. Creates a bit more room for the cap bodies.
Bypass caps I'd use 0805 SMT ones, and place them on the bottom, between the rows of the DIP package.
But if it fits it fits w00t
TimoRozendal
and... first run is gone

I will now open a waiting list for a possible next run, let's see how this develops, I need at least 5 people, but maybe it is better to wait a bit more and see what happens when people build the first run
roglok
i built this filter using matthias' press & peel layout. unfortunately it seems like i got one of those 'out of spec' / poor quality chips. the range on mine is barely usable. haven't ordered a replacement yet since it seems like an expensive gamble to me. where are you sourcing the chips from? are they checked beforehand?

not trying to rain on your parade, just curious...
TimoRozendal
@jarno thanks, will consider this for the next version

@roglok good point... I bought 2 from a chinese supplier, not the cheapest, not the most expensive and they were fine.. I just ordered a bunch more and I hope for the same results. But, yes, it's an experiment and I take the risk with this small run. I will reconsider it for the next run
TimoRozendal
and... I added a little demo (made quickly while the rest of the family is sleeping).

one thing I noticed is that with my ssm2044 you have to choose whether you want to be able to fully open the filter manually or fully close it manually. Not a big issue in my opinion, unless you want to use it as a gate as well.
roglok
TimoRozendal wrote:
and... I added a little demo (made quickly while the rest of the family is sleeping).

one thing I noticed is that with my ssm2044 you have to choose whether you want to be able to fully open the filter manually or fully close it manually. Not a big issue in my opinion, unless you want to use it as a gate as well.

so you are saying the range is limited? sounds good, though!
TimoRozendal
@roglok

Yes, the manual range is limited in my version, not completely full range, though maybe a resistor tweak might extend the range even further.

EDIT: yes, I think you can decrease R15 and R15b from 47k to 33k to increase the range (the initial values where meant for +/- 15v)
EDIT 2: you can get full range by decreasing R16, see later in this thread
falafelbiels
sounds real good Timo! yeah PCB and chip please, unless it sounds that good without the chip.......................
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7