MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nature patches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Nature patches
southphillysynths
Does anyone make natural sounding nature patches? I mean cricket sounds, running water, forest shuffles etc.

I would love to hear techniques for this type of patch as well as some examples!!
Smais
Do fart sounds count as natural? Seriously though I too would love to hear this done. I imagine noise and randomness are key to most natural sounds. The only natural type sounds I have managed are waves, rain and bubbles, all of which are just noise + amp and/or filter modulation + delay. I have managed to make so very unrealistic birds and frogs too. I've only got a basic 1 osc 3u at the moment so I'm pretty limited. .
synthguru
I've always loved producing sounds from our environment on synthesizers.
Here's the sound of being in the woods at night and hearing a Bigfoot howling not far away (programmed on a Nord Modular G2):

[s]https://soundcloud.com/zon-vern-pyles/bigfoot[/s]
chamomileshark
this is something I did a few years back. I was happy with the grasshoppers but not so much the birds. I had too much of the bees/flies (they sound different due to the weight difference) in it to for it to be natural.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/chamomile-shark/meadow3[/s]
Robscorch
So much easier to sample natural sounds than synthesize them. screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
Jaspo
I always thought it would be fun to do a collaboration with the forum members on creating a Modulary Aviary. Each person contributes a single dry synthetic bird sound and submits it to soundcloud with download enabled. The sounds then would be mixed to a common space and placed on soundcloud.

I also thought about a robot parade, done much the same way. The sounds would overlap and move from right to left in the field. Maybe have a narrator introducing each robot ... much like a parade.

No, I am not high ... yet.
r05c03
I made thunder and rain with my A4.
southphillysynths
Jaspo wrote:
I always thought it would be fun to do a collaboration with the forum members on creating a Modulary Aviary. Each person contributes a single dry synthetic bird sound and submits it to soundcloud with download enabled. The sounds then would be mixed to a common space and placed on soundcloud.

I also thought about a robot parade, done much the same way. The sounds would overlap and move from right to left in the field. Maybe have a narrator introducing each robot ... much like a parade.

No, I am not high ... yet.

this SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
wes2600
I have been doing a lot of this lately. I am recording a piece now that has growling lions, screaming cats and trees full of birds. I recently recorded a piece that sounded like a flock of geese flying over a bagpipe parade.

I use the RxMx, Wogglebug, Echophon and DPO to create these sounds, along with the tELHARMONC.

I don't really plan to make these sounds, they just come out after a bit of time during the life of a patch. I think the West Coast paradigm lends itself to outcomes like this.
nikmis
Ray Wilson has this beautiful rain/thunderstorm on his modular, but the video is now private for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psT-KESXYMI
Dcramer
I've had good luck by using filtered noise to frequency modulate Sine waves at different frequencies thumbs up all kinds of watery, sizzling, sound fx to be had w00t
Dave Peck
Connecting a noise generator to BOTH inputs of a vocoder (both the carrier & the modulator) can yield some remarkable 'babbling brook' sounds. Altering the 'color' of the noise or scrambling the vocoder bands a bit can give all sorts of 'watery' noises.
Gizmo
wes2600 wrote:
...a flock of geese flying over a bagpipe parade...

Need to cover your head and your ears at the same time. Or is it impolite to say that?
Smais
chamomileshark wrote:
this is something I did a few years back. I was happy with the grasshoppers but not so much the birds. I had too much of the bees/flies (they sound different due to the weight difference) in it to for it to be natural.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/chamomile-shark/meadow3[/s]

This is great do you remember how you did these sounds?
chamomileshark
thanks

I think at the time I was intending to write it down - it seems I didn't. From memory...

the grasshoppers are FM'd oscillators as a sound source through band pass/hi pass - then to a VCA modulated by a sawtooth to get the indiviual stridulations - that then goes to another VCA modulated by a simple envelope to get the rising sound of stridulations in the grasshoppers sound bursts. The whole thing is kicked off by a manual gate. You have to mess around with it to get it right - there are several in there with different pitches, speed and depth of stridulations.

If you set it pitched higher, with higher frequency stridulations and no envelope it sounds more like cicidas I've heard on holiday trips (we don't have them here).

The birds are FM'd oscillators, pitch modulated by a Noise Ring (gives a semi repeating pattern) that then goes to a lag processor. Again it is kicked off by a manual gate. There are a fair amount of passes of this adjusted in several ways to give a basic background - I think if you use one you quickly pick up that it is fake.
I love these kind of sounds... I heard don buchla do a set where he imitated birds to accentuate his video piece with the birds. it was really great.

Sure it's not real sounding. But I kind of like that about it...unnnatural natural...

I've always wanted to do something like this. I was hoping the neuron would provide resynthesis abilities to sample nature sounds and then abstract them in unique ways... instead of the same ole granular sounds... MY ASS IS BLEEDING
vgermuse
Here's a little Music Easel "nature" like sounds

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/178171042" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Gizmo
southphillysynths wrote:
cricket sounds . . . I would love to hear techniques for this type of patch as well as some examples!!

There is an old, simple, and quite good ARP Odyssey patch "Cricket Thicket" here:
http://www.arpodyssey.com/Patches/48.jpg

In this patch VCO2 is the only audio source, with a fairly high frequency square wave. VCO1 operates as an LFO at (I think) around 10-15 Hz with a ramp waveform modulating the pitch of VCO2 over a limited range. The LFO runs at about 2-3 Hz, used for (1) gating the final output envelope, which has a bit of risetime (attack) delay, and (2) animating the VCO2 pulse width. Finally, the VCA Gain slider is open half-way which allows some of the VCO2 audio through on a constant basis. Note that the filter does not contribute - it is wide open with no resonance. As with most Odyssey patches, adjust to taste.
renny3c
3 words... FIXED FILTER BANK

they are a great tool for that.

Having multiple points helps to really carve the sound you´re looking for. You can process noise to create, thunder, rain, wind, crickets, etc in seconds.
ersatzplanet
I once did a gig back when I owned a couple of Synthi AKSs for a local studio that was producing a poetry record that used a bunch of whale sounds in the background. The underwater recordings had some pretty poor spots that really sounded awful. I made a tom of wale calls, basically mimicking what I heard form the real recordings. The final product ended up being mostly my work and very little true whales. The joystick was perfect for that.
MindMachine
I have done these sounds as exercises in the past to see if I could do them. I have done seagulls, crickets, bird chirps, cougar type of roar (not so good).

I made patch diagrams of the sounds I was impressed with. Recently I patched them up and they sounded nothing like they had years ago. The joys of modular.
duluthdack
synthguru wrote:
I've always loved producing sounds from our environment on synthesizers.
Here's the sound of being in the woods at night and hearing a Bigfoot howling not far away (programmed on a Nord Modular G2):

[s]https://soundcloud.com/zon-vern-pyles/bigfoot[/s]

Super cool sounds duder! applause applause applause
anarchy4bits
recording of a big selfgenerating "natural" modular patch. all eurorack modular exept the czehar:)

[s]http://soundcloud.com/czehar/gorean-night[/s]
Smais
anarchy4bits wrote:
recording of a big selfgenerating "natural" modular patch. all eurorack modular exept the czehar:)

[s]http://soundcloud.com/czehar/gorean-night[/s]

How'd you make this, it's great Dead Banana
anarchy4bits
thanks smais,
i am really sorry that i can´t give you a discription of this patch. it goes over 3x9U cases with many spagetti cables. not all modules in this cases was used, but much. noise, pulse waves, filters, random sources, lfo´s, vca´s....
importend for synthetic nature sounds is, that you listen to the real nature. and than take you the time for fine tuning the sounds. than listen to the whole thing and bring it all together in one athmosphere. i hope this help you a little bit. cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2