MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ERD Eurorack modular release
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author ERD Eurorack modular release
micro_research

I'm very excited to announce the release, for the Autumn Equinox, of the first two modules within the new ERD Eurorack series from micro_research:

ERD/ERD (Earth Return Distortion): the first and most extreme expression of the ERD philosophy, seeking to literally put the earth back into circuit with technology. All world electricity travels through the earth and nearly all electronic circuitry and devices are extracted and refined from the earth. ERD/ERD puts a small block of forest earth into the Eurorack circuit, allowing control and audio signals to be distorted and amplified as they pass through the earth block.

ERD/SIR (Susceptible, Infected, Recovered): A fully fledged viral computation unit including a central plague unit [CPU] acting as interpreter for selected instruction sets which operate on the interior cells or sound-generating individuals (the simulation of a medieval village within the synth). ERD/SIR is a digital/analogue module which can be used as a stochastic, chaotic pattern and waveform generator.

Future modules planned for 2015 and early 2016 include: ERD/γ, a radioactive source and true random voltage generator, and ERD/WORM speech synthesizer and vocoder.

Full details at: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html
REVIVER
Whoa.

eek!
StringEmil
The dream of an 'alternative' controller skiff is close to becoming a reality!
With this, the Soundmachines breathalizer, brainterface and heartbeat monitor + Midi Sprout =
something wonderful
StringEmil
I am trying to understand how the earth-connection works.

Do you send one signal through the earth with one patch cable, and the other patch cable in the same pile receives the 'earth-i-fied' signal?
Say you plugged your modular into a lawn with long patch cables - what would happen?
cerple
Interested! SlayerBadger!

The "external pile" -feature we're not worthy
jwm
"Discounts are available in return for earth samples"

this is great.
micro_research
You can either run signals through the module's own earth container or, yes, patch in and out to your lawn - long cables would probably get pretty noisy but could be interesting. Discounts for exotic earth samples, yes!
StringEmil
Out of interest, could you post a clip of a vocal sample going through earth?
micro_research
I'll post vocal sample tomorrow when I'm back in the earth studio.
mmelnick
Just got an ERD/SIR. Stoked
ym2612
This is breaking my head.
davide3737
micro_research wrote:

I'm very excited to announce the release, for the Autumn Equinox, of the first two modules within the new ERD Eurorack series from micro_research:

ERD/ERD (Earth Return Distortion): the first and most extreme expression of the ERD philosophy, seeking to literally put the earth back into circuit with technology. All world electricity travels through the earth and nearly all electronic circuitry and devices are extracted and refined from the earth. ERD/ERD puts a small block of forest earth into the Eurorack circuit, allowing control and audio signals to be distorted and amplified as they pass through the earth block.

ERD/SIR (Susceptible, Infected, Recovered): A fully fledged viral computation unit including a central plague unit [CPU] acting as interpreter for selected instruction sets which operate on the interior cells or sound-generating individuals (the simulation of a medieval village within the synth). ERD/SIR is a digital/analogue module which can be used as a stochastic, chaotic pattern and waveform generator.

Future modules planned for 2015 and early 2016 include: ERD/γ, a radioactive source and true random voltage generator, and ERD/WORM speech synthesizer and vocoder.

Full details at: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

It was bound to happen sooner or later ... Sad. Very sad ...
Amer1231
steve jobs? is this you?

too soon?
Cat-A-Tonic
You can probably improve the tone by putting some "brilliant pebbles" in your manure box. hihi
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/1/7314775/cards-against-humanity-bullsh it-box-of-poop-shit

...now available in Euro format.
cerple
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
You can probably improve the tone by putting some "brilliant pebbles" in your manure box. hihi
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/1/7314775/cards-against-humanity-bullsh it-box-of-poop-shit

...now available in Euro format.

Machina Dynamica's X-Large Brilliant Pebbles, perhaps? This is fun!
audisigil
I would love to hear more samples of the EDR/EDR. It sounds like a very interesting module.

I'm really excited to see more on the EDR/WORM in the near future applause
scottmoon
Will the highs be more predominant with highly radioactive soil?
bobbcorr
Next up: running current through worms, mycorrhizae and the occasional terrestrial arthropod.
albiedamned
This is probably the most pretentious module announcement I've seen. "All world electricity travels through the earth". "The simulation of a medieval village within the synth." That's some seriously grandiose but meaningless bullshit. Am I to understand that you're actually trying to sell us a container of dirt connected to some wires?

Also, your panel designs are useless.
oscillateur
Yeah, I can get the earth thing as a conceptual piece mostly but the text for the digital one is just... urgh. Seriously, I'd be interested in seeing the code at this point, that would probably make me laugh quite a bit.
windspirit
Cat-A-Tonic
windspirit wrote:

True wigglers screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
evs
Guys, why so aggressive? It's his way of promoting his modules. Others have done it in a similar way, too.
I have to say I enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to hear more examples!
(And the panels look great!)
wellurban
albiedamned wrote:
This is probably the most pretentious module announcement I've seen. "All world electricity travels through the earth". "The simulation of a medieval village within the synth." That's some seriously grandiose but meaningless bullshit.

A quick Google suggests that this is based on models of epidemic transmission. I don't know much about that specifically, but in general things like this and predator-prey models are typically chaotic systems. This looks like it's using various such models to provide chaotic (non-repeating but not random) CV sources, pretty much what modules such as Chaos Brother, ChaQuo and Sloth Chaos do, but with simple software rather than analogue circuits.

Starting from that, they're certainly having fun with the language and playing up the quasi-mystical aspect. It's not a dry technical description as you'd expect from Doepfer : it's more along the lines of what Flight of Harmony or Flight of Harmony or Trogotronic do. Whether you find that intriguing or pretentious will have a lot to do with whether you're the sort of wiggler who'd be interested in this sort of module.
Amer1231
windspirit wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjMn7AcCq4

pulse width modulation?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8