MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ERD Eurorack modular release
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author ERD Eurorack modular release
EarlJemmings
Oh fuuuuuuck yesss
iceeslunk
micro_research wrote:
Equal night. Equal day.

Celebrating the re-release of ERD/ERD in new vampiric form:

There, in one of the great boxes, of which there were fifty in all, on a pile of newly dug earth, lay the Count!

The ERD/ERD vampiric edition contains mixed earth from both Golgotha, Jerusalem and Whitby Abbey, England. Whitby is the landing and stranding place of Dracula's ghost ship Demeter, delivering the fifty oblong boxes ("a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould") which find their way to the Count's chapel at Carfax. This earth is essential to Dracula, it forms "his earth-home, his coffin-home, his hell-home..."

http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

At present this is only available to waiting listers who will be notified in the next few days. Hopefully some left soon.

I just saw the email, I was on the waiting list! However, while I totally love the coffin-like shape, it looks like it would leave big gaps on either side in my case...
So, as of now, I'm probably going to hold off on ordering...
Robothottdog
iceeslunk wrote:
micro_research wrote:
Equal night. Equal day.

There, in one of the great boxes, of which there were fifty in all, on a pile of newly dug earth, lay the Count!

The ERD/ERD vampiric edition contains mixed earth from both Golgotha, Jerusalem and Whitby Abbey, England. Whitby is the landing and stranding place of Dracula's ghost ship Demeter, delivering the fifty oblong boxes ("a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould") which find their way to the Count's chapel at Carfax. This earth is essential to Dracula, it forms "his earth-home, his coffin-home, his hell-home..."

At present this is only available to waiting listers who will be notified in the next few days. Hopefully some left soon.

I just saw the email, I was on the waiting list! However, while I totally love the coffin-like shape, it looks like it would leave big gaps on either side in my case...

I haven't got an email yet. Not sure if not on the actual list or if I need to be patient. I really would love to get this module.
micro_research
I'm working through the list for the first batch of 20 with the rest to follow very soon! So chances are you'll get a mail this week. And yes there are small gaps as you can see here - this was very much intentional.

[/img]
Hovercraft
iceeslunk wrote:
micro_research wrote:
Equal night. Equal day.

You could wait for the grayscale panel.
iceeslunk
True, but I do really appreciate the aesthetic, geometry withstanding...please understand that I am in no way, shape or form casting *any* aspersions, I absolutely love everything micro research has done, unparalleled creativity imo, hence me being on the list!
I just have mild ocd (I think that's what it is anyway) to where I know something like a gap in my rack would drive me crazy hihi
Just out of curiosity, will there be another run of the original erd?
micro_research
I understand! This is the last ERD/ERD edition with no re-runs of the original.

One thing that did occur to me is that it could be quite easy to swap out the coffin panel although of course I would advise heartily against this - you can see in the image there are 4 small gold bolts which hold the sub-panel/coffin assemblage of earth and electronics so you could laser-cut a new square over-panel if need be and bolt this back in.
iceeslunk
ah yes then ill definitely reconsider, seeing as how its the last run! and thanks for all of the info, if i make the jump i'm sure i could figure something out!
waveglider
I absolutely love my ERD Gamma, it is so freaking cool to have a radioactive source and geiger counter tube create random CV and triggers.
I was initially concerned myself about the unconventional panel design, but it really is such a unique, fun module and fits in just fine with my other boring old rectangular panels!
Added bonus, makes for really interesting conversation, people always zero in on it and ask what the hell it is. Martin has the best concepts for these modules, so well thought out and executed.
justintonation
Is it magic dirt? I would be interested to hear a sample of roland rahsaan kirk's cremated ashes, but apparently they were put into a joint and smoked by "beautiful people".

Anyway I did find this a delightful idea although it and the "negative" comments made me chuckle.
acgenerator
justintonation wrote:
I would be interested to hear a sample of roland rahsaan kirk's cremated ashes
If it weren't Eurorack, I'd say earth from Bob Moog's burial site or the factory grounds....

But jesting aside, an "empty container" version of this could lead to interesting possibilities both for musical experimentation with different sources or customization (from one's homeland, favorite park/forest, site of a fallen band/family member's grave, site of historical significance, etc). I'm not sure if that wholly aligns within Martin's vision for the module/series as there is a artistic/philosophical aspect to the designs beyond the audio component.

That said, I think these are open sourced so folks eager to experiment could likely do so.
southberry
sad to read that there's no plan to re-issue the original ERD / ERD
the story/concept behind the coffin panel is amazing but it's too dangerous for me (really too easy to a jack or something into the case Dead Banana ) ...
PolarIceCaves
I'm going to craft a couple small mahogany blanks to place beside it to close the gaps but still look vampire-tight
micro_research
I'm very happy with custom earth sourcings - I shipped one module today with an empty container which can be plugged back in but is obviously not as stable or hermetic as the sealed vampire earth version. That said, the mix of Golgotha and Whitby earth is pretty powerful.

For those interested you could modify the https://github.com/microresearch/ERD/blob/master/vampire-brd_panel_new 29feb.svg for squared up edges and maybe also cut this in other materials. Mahogany definitely sounds lovely.

Lastly, the first ERD/ERD shipped today. More will ship next week and pending a new delivery of Whitby earth all waitlisters will hear back mid next week.
j_p_higgins
Is there a demo of a vocal sample going through the ERD?
CometxYh1n1egyPt
Can anyone who's received one of these comment on the sound or post clips?
wertham

ERD/ERD connected with Leploop 808 Cymbal drone generator.
The result is a magmatic wall of evolving drones, with pounding bass frequencies.
mt3
wertham wrote:

ERD/ERD connected with Leploop 808 Cymbal drone generator.
The result is a magmatic wall of evolving drones, with pounding bass frequencies.

Damn yes.
337is
Per request for vocal sounds processed through ERD/ERD:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/258632861" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Patch notes:

Note: Pan hard right to hear just the unaltered audio of the source material. Pan hard left to hear the distortion of the ERD/ERD at work. Pan center to have a wild ride!

Source audio features samples (Primarily "Three Voices for Joan La Barbara" by Morton Feldman) culled from this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151868&highlight=

This is a demo of three modules created by Martin Howse. Here is the ERD/ERD used with vocals. I fed the output from the Radio Music into the ERD/ERD and ran that output to the left channel of this mix. The right channel is the unaffected audio taken directly from the Radio Music. I used ERD/Gamma and the ERD/SIR to open and close the ERD/ERD which lead to distortion when more fully open. I also used the two to modify each other, and to trigger the Radio Music's reset, station, and start CV inputs. Eventually, a low rumble of distortion is heard and that's where I've plugged into the two alternate earth returns on the ERD/ERD and manipulated the ends of the leads with my fingers to produce the various distortions. Placing my hands nearer to the earth vessel changes the intensity and character of the distortion.
j_p_higgins
337is wrote:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/258632861" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Patch notes:

Note: Pan hard right to hear just the unaltered audio of the source material. Pan hard left to hear the distortion of the ERD/ERD at work. Pan center to have a wild ride!

Source audio features samples (Primarily "Three Voices for Joan La Barbara" by Morton Feldman) culled from this thread:

This is a demo of three modules created by Martin Howse. Here is the ERD/ERD used with vocals. I fed the output from the Radio Music into the ERD/ERD and ran that output to the left channel of this mix. The right channel is the unaffected audio taken directly from the Radio Music. I used ERD/Gamma and the ERD/SIR to open and close the ERD/ERD which lead to distortion when more fully open. I also used the two to modify each other, and to trigger the Radio Music's reset, station, and start CV inputs. Eventually, a low rumble of distortion is heard and that's where I've plugged into the two alternate earth returns on the ERD/ERD and manipulated the ends of the leads with my fingers to produce the various distortions. Placing my hands nearer to the earth vessel changes the intensity and character of the distortion.

Brilliant thanks
micro_research
Just a note that the last ERD/ERD vampiric edition (and a very few ERD/γ) are now available for general release:

I'll try and ship this week but travel might upset this plan...
Infinity Curve
337is wrote:

Patch notes:

Ok, this example sold me on it. Thanks for that, sounds great!

Ordered thumbs up
Infinity Curve
What's the word on the Worm module? ETA? info?

Excited to hear more on this one
DohaK
Any chance there will be another batch of SIR?
chrisallan
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8