MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ERD Eurorack modular release
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author ERD Eurorack modular release
EarlJemmings
kipervarg wrote:
describing a module that intends to evoke the sound of a "medieval village" may result in some friendly banter.

Having said all that, I get that it's art to some and I wish you well.

But that's not what the site says it does- it has a program which simulates the growth of a medical village. It applies this data to make sound. As mentioned and explained earlier in this thread.
I get that you don't get it and are so very above it.
EarlJemmings
wellurban wrote:
albiedamned wrote:
This is probably the most pretentious module announcement I've seen. "All world electricity travels through the earth". "The simulation of a medieval village within the synth." That's some seriously grandiose but meaningless bullshit.

A quick Google suggests that this is based on models of epidemic transmission. I don't know much about that specifically, but in general things like this and predator-prey models are typically chaotic systems. This looks like it's using various such models to provide chaotic (non-repeating but not random) CV sources, pretty much what modules such as Chaos Brother, ChaQuo and Sloth Chaos do, but with simple software rather than analogue circuits.
modularrydavid
>I get that you don't get it and are so very above it.

"Getting it" means different things to different people. If you put something out into the public arena, you have to be prepared for all sorts of attention. If that something is avant-garde or anachronistic, double your preparation for criticism; if you also charging money for others to buy it, triple it.

Why is it that if people on here give critical feedback or poke fun a bit, it's "elitism" or small-mindedness or (the worst) "negativity?" Get a backbone. There's enough kindness and encouragement on this board to keep it a healthy ecosystem. Personally I find it quite boring to make everyone act like the "OR" output on a Maths.

Remember, many of the best EEs and designers out there are incredibly negative and critical people. While it doesn't always make for a happy life, for some it helps to maintain high standards and makes their designs great. Sugarcoating feedback is a disservice. If enough people think this product is bullshit, it'll either reveal to the designer it IS bullshit or strengthen his/her convictions that the designs are great. And either way, it's generating conversation about the product, which is surely preferable to being ignored.

My 2 bits of earth.
blxxp
First post on something I'm actually very interested in.

Although now that it's sold out, and the waiting list is full I'm not going to be able to order or here the thing in person.

Anyone got an idea of how this thing goes together?

@micro_research Will you be releasing the schematics so we can start building?
I'd be interested to buy those alone...
EarlJemmings
modularrydavid wrote:

"Getting it" means different things to different people. If you put something out into the public arena, you have to be prepared for all sorts of attention. If that something is avant-garde or anachronistic, double your preparation for criticism; if you also charging money for others to buy it, triple it.

Why is it that if people on here give critical feedback or poke fun a bit, it's "elitism" or small-mindedness or (the worst) "negativity?" Get a backbone. There's enough kindness and encouragement on this board to keep it a healthy ecosystem. Personally I find it quite boring to make everyone act like the "OR" output on a Maths.

Remember, many of the best EEs and designers out there are incredibly negative and critical people. While it doesn't always make for a happy life, for some it helps to maintain high standards and makes their designs great. Sugarcoating feedback is a disservice. If enough people think this product is bullshit, it'll either reveal to the designer it IS bullshit or strengthen his/her convictions that the designs are great. And either way, it's generating conversation about the product, which is surely preferable to being ignored.

My 2 bits of earth.

Sure, I get that- but if something is very clearly not targeted at you, is a very small run, and is doing well out of that run, there's no point in posting in that designers thread denying that it is a useful device while not even knowing what it does.

Anyway, I suppose I'm getting a bit over aggressive about it, it just really annoys me when people are loudly dismissive about something like this.
Maybe when we who bought get them and hear what they sound like in different patches

In any case, let's all keep patching and exploring.
gbiz
blxxp wrote:

Although now that it's sold out, and the waiting list is full I'm not going to be able to order or here the thing in person.

There's a link to their github at the bottom of their home page (linked in the OP).
blxxp
gbiz wrote:
blxxp wrote:

There's a link to their github at the bottom of their home page (linked in the OP).

I've noticed since. Thanks for the heads up though!
shreeswifty
Any Demos of this? I am interested
EarlJemmings
Just got mine in the other day

Dirt looks way more green in the picture then it actually is

Solid quality- bolted knobs, nice and long power cables, came with M3 and M2.5 screws which was nice.

ERD is definitely a distortion, sounds real nice with some resonance or other harmonically rich signal behind it. And being able to patch it out is really cool- through skin has a really unique sound, and varying pressure has a cool response. Also tried a halloween gummy, had an effect sort of like a low pass filter, opening up if the cables moved closer together in the gummy. Although it does seem to need a buffered stage after it or it attenuates like mad which is a bit odd.

SIR is, in practice, an evolving 8 bit stepped voltage generator. Interesting chaotic behaviour. It will almost be a pattern, but will always be just a bit different. CV does give it some good life.

Still playing, but I like em!
FetidEye
i would love to see the dark interpreter adapted to eurorack format!!
(or any other modular format)

possibly with weird angular panels (that fit together like a tangram to have a rectangle, eurorack is way too straight)

i really dig the sounds on those noise-ships!
windspirit
FetidEye wrote:
i would love to see the dark interpreter adapted to eurorack format!!
(or any other modular format)

possibly with weird angular panels (that fit together like a tangram to have a rectangle, eurorack is way too straight)

i really dig the sounds on those noise-ships!

It would be great if the angular panel did not line up so that it purposefully wasted space. Welcome to the future of eurorack.
micro_research
Angular panels is a wonderful idea (alas too late for the first two ERD series). BTW. There are still a last few ERD/SIR and ERD/ERD available from: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html as some of the waitlist dropped out. More news to follow soon on the next 2 releases...
windspirit
I saw some files for worm up on your github smile
EarlJemmings
micro_research wrote:
Angular panels is a wonderful idea (alas too late for the first two ERD series). BTW. There are still a last few ERD/SIR and ERD/ERD available from: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html as some of the waitlist dropped out. More news to follow soon on the next 2 releases...

Not so soon! I only have so much money MY ASS IS BLEEDING

And I'm into this angular panel idea. A sort of patch work synth. Although maybe in pairs, so that one would only have to have 2 to not waste panel space, but still the same overall effect. One side angled, one straight? (edit: which is totally what fetideye was saying, don't mind me)
ooh, maybe reversible so one could have the module upside down to match them up hihi
shreeswifty
i am more interested in the virus module, i looked at the github has anyone else looked at it? I can try to compile it and see what shakes
windspirit
Just where protection when you do.
EarlJemmings
Was checking back on the product page and noticed something new under the ERD/ERD
Intrigued about this: A special edition will be available early 2016 with vampire/holy earth dual!

Any details on what will be different in the special edition?
albiedamned
I've stayed away from this thread for a couple months, but I can't resist commenting on this idea of angular modules which deliberately waste rack space. First off, it's a safety issue because it could expose the high voltage parts in Doepfer cases and other cases with internal power supplies. Second,

jensu
albiedamned wrote:
I've stayed away from this thread for a couple months, but I can't resist commenting on this idea of angular modules which deliberately waste rack space. First off, it's a safety issue because it could expose the high voltage parts in Doepfer cases and other cases with internal power supplies. Second,

Isn't it pretty much the norm to have gaping holes in the rows anyway.
albiedamned
You're supposed to cover holes with blank panels. Doepfer specifically says this in their documentation. Yes, many people probably don't do it. But if you were to stick your finger in there, you could get a serious shock.

Cases which use external power supplies don't have this concern.
homodyne
Why would anyone stick want to his finger in there? hmmm.....
Unless we are dealing with some kind of irresistible urge...
homodyne
Dirty plague infested eurorack...
Zymos
I was willing to give these the benefit of the doubt, seemed like a cool concept.
But you lost me with the vampire stuff....
Entrainer
homodyne wrote:
Why would anyone stick want to his finger in there? hmmm.....
Unless we are dealing with some kind of irresistible urge...

children or pets?
homodyne
The plague on them!

[EDIT] Yes I guess you have a point.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 4 of 8