MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ERD Eurorack modular release
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author ERD Eurorack modular release
micro_research

I'm very excited to announce the release, for the Autumn Equinox, of the first two modules within the new ERD Eurorack series from micro_research:

ERD/ERD (Earth Return Distortion): the first and most extreme expression of the ERD philosophy, seeking to literally put the earth back into circuit with technology. All world electricity travels through the earth and nearly all electronic circuitry and devices are extracted and refined from the earth. ERD/ERD puts a small block of forest earth into the Eurorack circuit, allowing control and audio signals to be distorted and amplified as they pass through the earth block.

ERD/SIR (Susceptible, Infected, Recovered): A fully fledged viral computation unit including a central plague unit [CPU] acting as interpreter for selected instruction sets which operate on the interior cells or sound-generating individuals (the simulation of a medieval village within the synth). ERD/SIR is a digital/analogue module which can be used as a stochastic, chaotic pattern and waveform generator.

Future modules planned for 2015 and early 2016 include: ERD/γ, a radioactive source and true random voltage generator, and ERD/WORM speech synthesizer and vocoder.

Full details at: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html
REVIVER
Whoa.

eek!
StringEmil
The dream of an 'alternative' controller skiff is close to becoming a reality!
With this, the Soundmachines breathalizer, brainterface and heartbeat monitor + Midi Sprout =
something wonderful
StringEmil
I am trying to understand how the earth-connection works.

Do you send one signal through the earth with one patch cable, and the other patch cable in the same pile receives the 'earth-i-fied' signal?
Say you plugged your modular into a lawn with long patch cables - what would happen?
cerple
Interested! SlayerBadger!

The "external pile" -feature we're not worthy
jwm
"Discounts are available in return for earth samples"

this is great.
micro_research
You can either run signals through the module's own earth container or, yes, patch in and out to your lawn - long cables would probably get pretty noisy but could be interesting. Discounts for exotic earth samples, yes!
StringEmil
Out of interest, could you post a clip of a vocal sample going through earth?
micro_research
I'll post vocal sample tomorrow when I'm back in the earth studio.
mmelnick
Just got an ERD/SIR. Stoked
ym2612
This is breaking my head.
davide3737
micro_research wrote:

I'm very excited to announce the release, for the Autumn Equinox, of the first two modules within the new ERD Eurorack series from micro_research:

ERD/ERD (Earth Return Distortion): the first and most extreme expression of the ERD philosophy, seeking to literally put the earth back into circuit with technology. All world electricity travels through the earth and nearly all electronic circuitry and devices are extracted and refined from the earth. ERD/ERD puts a small block of forest earth into the Eurorack circuit, allowing control and audio signals to be distorted and amplified as they pass through the earth block.

ERD/SIR (Susceptible, Infected, Recovered): A fully fledged viral computation unit including a central plague unit [CPU] acting as interpreter for selected instruction sets which operate on the interior cells or sound-generating individuals (the simulation of a medieval village within the synth). ERD/SIR is a digital/analogue module which can be used as a stochastic, chaotic pattern and waveform generator.

Future modules planned for 2015 and early 2016 include: ERD/γ, a radioactive source and true random voltage generator, and ERD/WORM speech synthesizer and vocoder.

Full details at: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

It was bound to happen sooner or later ... Sad. Very sad ...
Amer1231
steve jobs? is this you?

too soon?
Cat-A-Tonic
You can probably improve the tone by putting some "brilliant pebbles" in your manure box. hihi
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/1/7314775/cards-against-humanity-bullsh it-box-of-poop-shit

...now available in Euro format.
cerple
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
You can probably improve the tone by putting some "brilliant pebbles" in your manure box. hihi
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/1/7314775/cards-against-humanity-bullsh it-box-of-poop-shit

...now available in Euro format.

Machina Dynamica's X-Large Brilliant Pebbles, perhaps? This is fun!
audisigil
I would love to hear more samples of the EDR/EDR. It sounds like a very interesting module.

I'm really excited to see more on the EDR/WORM in the near future applause
scottmoon
Will the highs be more predominant with highly radioactive soil?
bobbcorr
Next up: running current through worms, mycorrhizae and the occasional terrestrial arthropod.
albiedamned
This is probably the most pretentious module announcement I've seen. "All world electricity travels through the earth". "The simulation of a medieval village within the synth." That's some seriously grandiose but meaningless bullshit. Am I to understand that you're actually trying to sell us a container of dirt connected to some wires?

Also, your panel designs are useless.
oscillateur
Yeah, I can get the earth thing as a conceptual piece mostly but the text for the digital one is just... urgh. Seriously, I'd be interested in seeing the code at this point, that would probably make me laugh quite a bit.
windspirit
Cat-A-Tonic
windspirit wrote:

True wigglers screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
evs
Guys, why so aggressive? It's his way of promoting his modules. Others have done it in a similar way, too.
I have to say I enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to hear more examples!
(And the panels look great!)
wellurban
albiedamned wrote:
This is probably the most pretentious module announcement I've seen. "All world electricity travels through the earth". "The simulation of a medieval village within the synth." That's some seriously grandiose but meaningless bullshit.

A quick Google suggests that this is based on models of epidemic transmission. I don't know much about that specifically, but in general things like this and predator-prey models are typically chaotic systems. This looks like it's using various such models to provide chaotic (non-repeating but not random) CV sources, pretty much what modules such as Chaos Brother, ChaQuo and Sloth Chaos do, but with simple software rather than analogue circuits.

Starting from that, they're certainly having fun with the language and playing up the quasi-mystical aspect. It's not a dry technical description as you'd expect from Doepfer : it's more along the lines of what Flight of Harmony or Flight of Harmony or Trogotronic do. Whether you find that intriguing or pretentious will have a lot to do with whether you're the sort of wiggler who'd be interested in this sort of module.
Amer1231
windspirit wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjMn7AcCq4

pulse width modulation?
kittyspit
seem to me like a ciat lonbarde wana be. not iterested in nonsense noise. cheap sounding circuits, i can make this in my bedroom.
ym2612
kittyspit wrote:
seem to me like a ciat lonbarde wana be. not iterested in nonsense noise. cheap sounding circuits, i can make this in my bedroom.

So, why haven't you?
micro_research
Enjoying (some) comments. First run of ERD/ERD is sold out with the last run of the edition scheduled a few weeks from now. Worm up!
computo
THE RAGE! You guys realize you aren't REQUIRED to buy this right?

Nothing is more pretentious than getting bent out of shape about a product announcement...
wildfrontiers
Really would like to hear some more demos of the ERD
computo
Ah, art and marketing always pissing people off. Maybe learning about the artist will call everyones nerves...

https://www.voltagecontrollab.com/2015/09/24/play-the-ground-you-walk- on-with-erd/
albiedamned
Quote:
Some commented that the idea pretentious and ridiculous.

Hey I made the news! I still say that this is an attempt to sell a box of dirt with 2 wires stuck into it, for 165 euros. Regarding the panel design, most manufacturers put some sort of labels on their panels as a courtesy to their customers.
schemawound
All the negativity in this thread is pretty strange.

Is it a box of dirt with some wires stuck in it? Yes.

Did the manufacturer try to trick you into buying a box of dirt with some wires stuck in it? No.

There is a whole internet of things more deserving of your angst.
AudioFetish
Let the guy do his thing. Why so aggressive seriously, i just don't get it
computo
albiedamned wrote:
Quote:
Some commented that the idea pretentious and ridiculous.

Hey I made the news! I still say that this is an attempt to sell a box of dirt with 2 wires stuck into it, for 165 euros. Regarding the panel design, most manufacturers put some sort of labels on their panels as a courtesy to their customers.

Of course you had to quote the sentence with the grammar mistake! Fixed...

On the other hand, there is only one knob! The creator is an artist, and thus this is half artwork/half module. Function and Form both give and take there.

That said, everything you said in this post is true haha.
computo
schemawound wrote:
All the negativity in this thread is pretty strange.

Did the manufacturer try to trick you into buying a box of dirt with some wires stuck in it? No.

There is a whole internet of things more deserving of your angst.

The Pet Rock didn't even do anything and millions of people bought them. This has some function, and people are freaking out. It's entertaining, to say the least!
micro_research
To clarify (and not sure if this helps)...

Quote:

It is a bit more... a box of earth....

With associated electronics to modulate and amplify signals through the earth.

The intention is also of course to introduce the ERD modular range which aims to bring technology down to earth, returning physical process (earth signals, radioactive decay) into electronics and computation (voice synthesis, computer modelling)..

Oh, and more samples coming soon...
ym2612
I never see this kind of negativity in talk about Gieskes modules. What's up here?

And for that matter, for a category of gear that is so much about free thought and experimentation, there's a lot of orthodoxy around this forum.
thorncore
These are fascinating and great looking modules,nice to see the plague code infecting the eurorack...

some of these responses are just plain rude and negative,very sad to see on what I thought was a forum that embraced experimentation.
Geaux
Certainly an interesting concept. I can see why people would get their panties in a knot over something like this. I don't get why they can't just go be smug in a corner somewhere laughing at everyone if thats how they really feel rather than posting aggressively in this thread as if its going to change someones mind.
Dcramer
I don't quite get the theory behind it but it does seem interesting.
And it's sure as hell not in a direction Roland, Moog, or Korg are headed.
Still though I worry that it might make my mixes a bit muddy?
. lolspew
albiedamned
Ok, my posts have been harsh. I apologize. Obviously no one is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to buy these. I don't see the attraction whatsoever, but as long as potential buyers know what they're getting, then I can't complain.
acgenerator
here's my 2 cents. A good chunk of the stuff we use in electronic music today comes from experimentation. Don't like the sound? do something else. I'd guess everyone here is playing something that was wacky when it came out.

Distortion from broken amp speakers (Ike Turner and others), atari punk consoles (Forest Mims), circuit bending (Gazala) etc. How about Talk-boxes, vocoders, theremins? Joysticks? Ribbon controllers?... I'm pretty sure those got some bad reception back in the day too.

Wierd is where you draw the line personally.

Do i think Schippmann is going to put out one of these? no way. Do i think this is the latest trend in modules? nope.but i could be wrong. Do I buy stuff other folks think is weird? Definitely!

in short some of the folks here seem interested, even if you and i don't feel the same way. And guess what? this might be the thing that gets someone thinking about the next module you drool over.

I'm pretty damn sure none of you are Bob Moog reincarnate but i guarantee someone thinks your music/module/mix is pretty lame/weird/etc.

the harsh reception is complete bullshit for a forum that caters to a pretty niche crowd.

steps off soapbox which is free for anyone needing materials for a DIY case
falseeye
the negativity on muffs is getting out of control .The posts at the beginning of this is a perfect example of why Muffs is getting a bad name . I talked to a lot of professional musicians engineers and artist who won't have anything to do with muffwiggler anymore because they say its just full of children who don't do anything but sit on their laptops and bitch Even tho I wouldn't buy this and i got a bit of a chuckle out of it , I applaud the guy for doing it . Its different experimental and going in a new direction . We should be encouraging any new module makers , and assisting them as a community anyway we can
acgenerator
micro_research wrote:

Quote:

Can I assume the implication is something along the lines of wikipedia's description:
"Soil is the mixture of minerals, organic matter, gases, liquids, and the countless organisms that together support life on earth."
versus
"Dirt is unclean matter, especially when in contact with a person's clothes, skin or possessions when they are said to become dirty. "

I can see that having an appeal to those with a spiritual or nature sound elements to their music too.
EarlJemmings
I am extremely into the idea of this, and really the announcement of these modules has suddenly changed my path forward, very quickly.
The idea of distorting my audio with dirt is EXACTLY what I'm in music to do.

Anyway, I'm off to see if I can squeeze these modules into modulargrid.

Seriously people, get the fuck over yourselves.
acgenerator
falseeye wrote:
the negativity on muffs is getting out of control .The posts at the beginning of this is a perfect example of why Muffs is getting a bad name . I talked to a lot of professional musicians engineers and artist who won't have anything to do with muffwiggler anymore because they say its just full of children who don't do anything but sit on their laptops and bitch Even tho I wouldn't buy this and i got a bit of a chuckle out of it , I applaud the guy for doing it . Its different experimental and going in a new direction . We should be encouraging any new module makers , and assisting them as a community anyway we can

I'm relatively new here but isn't whining and cutting people down more a gearslutz thing? hmmm.....

I like finding unconventional / boutique stuff for my rack so that I don't sound exactly the same as the Maths + Clouds+pressure points+ Wogglebug 2-row skiffs everyone else has. This ones not for me but some of the stuff i find intriguing others won't spend money on either.
acgenerator
EarlJemmings wrote:
I am extremely into the idea of this, and really the announcement of these modules has suddenly changed my path forward, very quickly.
The idea of distorting my audio with dirt is EXACTLY what I'm in music to do.

Anyway, I'm off to see if I can squeeze these modules into modulargrid.

Seriously people, get the fuck over yourselves.

exactly my point. Drones? Speech chips? chiptune? distortion? tube VCOs? chaos/randomness? not everyone is into the same thing.
schemawound
micro_research wrote:

Quote:

With associated electronics to modulate and amplify signals through the earth.

I know, I was simplifying it to make a point. People getting upset about it don't really have any reason to be, no one is being tricked into buying it thinking it is something it's not. Personally I really like the concept of the module. It's something that is so far outside the box you would never get it from a major manufacturer. That's why I got into euro in the first place.
bobbcorr
From a biological point of view (as a biologist), even a small volume of soil can be a very rich micro ecosystem, full of microbial life and occasional larger flora and fauna. It's estimated that there can be between 2,000 and 8.3 million species of bacteria in a single gram of soil ( see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2970868/ ).

Of course this life can be halted by sterilizing the soil, but it would be ready to be recolonized over time through even the smallest of cracks or holes. Just something for the manufacturer to look into. That clear window to the soil within could get occluded fairly quickly with all manner of interesting things.

It's certainly an interesting idea.
windspirit
bobbcorr wrote:
From a biological point of view (as a biologist), even a small volume of soil can be a very rich micro ecosystem, full of microbial life and occasional larger flora and fauna. It's estimated that there can be between 2,000 and 8.3 million species of bacteria in a single gram of soil ( see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2970868/ ).

Of course this life can be halted by sterilizing the soil, but it would be ready to be recolonized over time through even the smallest of cracks or holes. Just something for the manufacturer to look into. That clear window to the soil within could get occluded fairly quickly with all manner of interesting things.

Maybe the bacteria colonies would start a medieval village.
bobbcorr
windspirit wrote:
bobbcorr wrote:

Maybe the bacteria colonies would start a medieval village.

Watch out Sea Monkeys.
electronicmusicdotcom
falseeye wrote:
the negativity on muffs is getting out of control...

It smacks of elitism, very droll.

Newcomers to the scene get excited about many different types of module, with a fair percentage falling madly in love with a module like this I would imagine.

Now, if he was passing it off as something that it isn't I would be the first to jump in, but what you see (and hear) is what you get it seems, so lay off know it all's!
onthelees
I don't judge a module on what it looks like, or how the maker claims it works. If I like the sound it makes, it's good. If I don't, then I don't buy it. Seems like a lot of speculation here about something I don't think most of us have even HEARD yet seriously, i just don't get it What does it sound like? someone please post something.
sgnhh
if anyone clicked on the website, then you would have seen the soundcloud sample:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/martin_howse/erderd-001[/s]

it sounds like distortion.
bobbcorr
Sounds very well grounded.
EarlJemmings
curious if anyone here has recieved a confirmation for being on the wait list - sent in an email to get an ERD/SIR, would be good to know so I can put this money somewhere else if I can't get this module.
windspirit
Try sending an email, I got a quick reply.
micro_research
Just to confirm - all ERD/SIRs on the wait list will be ready for order and shipping next week! Travelling this week on a short UK earth voice tour.
M
xenosapien
as uncalled for and irritating some of the comments here were (seriously guys, get a grip), I wouldn´t worry about some trend of negativity on Muffs...
I haven´t been posting much, but reading along for about half a year now, and this is literally the first bunch of obviously negative/borderline trolling posts I have seen on here.

among all the great advice, tech and obviously cool new module ideas (will I ever use one of these? don´t know yet - but they sure sound interesting as hell!), the overall picture is that this is still the most open, friendly community I have been able to find for this kind of stuff smile
EarlJemmings
Just bought both ERD and SIR- lucky me!
They've shipped and I'm damn excited.

Now I wonder if for that random voltage generator conning up, can one can even ship radioactive goods? hihi

Very intrigued to see what that speech synth will be like
acgenerator
EarlJemmings wrote:

Now I wonder if for that random voltage generator conning up, can one can even ship radioactive goods? hihi

Very intrigued to see what that speech synth will be like

ditto on all accounts.
Joonatin
Even a fire alarm has a small radioactive source inside. It doesn't have to glow green and make you grow extra arms to be radioactive.

And props for interesting concepts. I've done some work on bioelectromagnetism, lets hook up ECG to modular next! Just have to be careful on cv ins and outs.
acgenerator
Joonatin wrote:
Even a fire alarm has a small radioactive source inside. It doesn't have to glow green and make you grow extra arms to be radioactive.

of course not, but the extra arms would definitely help with wiggling!
coolshirtdotjpg
The dirt module is a neat concept. I actually think I would be more interested in CV created from dirt, etc. Or a water based CV processor. Basically any volatile material would be interesting. As for the negativity, people forget about the early buchla modules like the "white noise generator" we had a mills that was just a ball of resistors soldered together, or the LSD laced module he made. If you spent more than a few minutes looking into the history of electronic music you will realize that most of the innovations we now take for granted were considered insane ideas, and even more insane ideas had to happen for the tools we use to even slightly stabilize.
kipervarg
This can't be real. Plus, it's already sold out according to their website. I've always wanted to hear my modular simulate the sound of a "medieval village". hihi
EarlJemmings
kipervarg wrote:
This can't be real. Plus, it's already sold out according to their website. I've always wanted to hear my modular simulate the sound of a "medieval village". hihi

hmmm.....
Did you not read the thread?

And yeah, I suppose I was mentally overstating the effect of radioactivity.
It'll definitely be interesting to see how its implemented- I imagine a Micro Research won't be your standard sample&hold
kipervarg
EarlJemmings wrote:
kipervarg wrote:

hmmm.....
Did you not read the thread?

And yeah, I suppose I was mentally overstating the effect of radioactivity.
It'll definitely be interesting to see how its implemented- I imagine a Micro Research won't be your standard sample&hold

Yes, I read the thread. Did you read the thread? Going to assume your questions are rhetorical going forward given the wildly artistic description of the module and your over-the-top response to it.

I get it. It's art. Not an actual tool. Plus, it's "sold out" already.
EarlJemmings
kipervarg wrote:
This can't be real.

nah, you clearly don't get it.
It's "sold out" because people saw it, and saw its use as a tool.
Somehow, it's real, and somehow you think being a douche helps anyone.
kipervarg
EarlJemmings wrote:
kipervarg wrote:
This can't be real.

nah, you clearly don't get it.
It's "sold out" because people saw it, and saw its use as a tool.
Somehow, it's real, and somehow you think being a douche helps anyone.

Crying now...tears falling on artisanal earth. Thinking of building a salt water CV module. Eel Power FTW!

Hugs?
DonKartofflo
i think it sounds pretty interesting as a distortion/overdrive effect, why the hate? I would love to hear some voice samples or a full song through it with continoous dry wet blending so we can hear exactly what the thing does.
opsysbug
Wonderful intro. Cool panel. I'm studying Polarity massage right now. Reminded me of this guy. Bring it on dudes ad the haters can go back to the world that is not electric in every way. Zap!!

Phoobooz
I've been lurking here for a few years. It's been one of the most if not only positive thinking places left on the internet that I have to go to, but the replies here are fucking disgraceful.. If you don't like it, then don't buy the fucking thing!

While I personally may not be fond of some of the obscure modules, say Geiskies.. You can't pull up my post history and find me saying Jack shit about them! (I've tried about 4 of them.. Cool concepts, just not my thing.)
So why the hate?

I won't claim to understand this module, because frankly, I don't.. But fuck.. Let's not turn into a bunch of fucking 13 year olds over it...
kipervarg
Phoobooz wrote:
I've been lurking here for a few years. It's been one of the most if not only positive thinking places left on the internet that I have to go to, but the replies here are fucking disgraceful.. If you don't like it, then don't buy the fucking thing!

While I personally may not be fond of some of the obscure modules, say Geiskies.. You can't pull up my post history and find me saying Jack shit about them! (I've tried about 4 of them.. Cool concepts, just not my thing.)
So why the hate?

I won't claim to understand this module, because frankly, I don't.. But fuck.. Let's not turn into a bunch of fucking 13 year olds over it...

Hate is a strong word for the reaction people are having. More like a mix of bewilderment at the idea and a bit of poking at the presentation - describing a module that intends to evoke the sound of a "medieval village" may result in some friendly banter.

Having said all that, I get that it's art to some and I wish you well.
Kummer
Personally I think it's a pretty cool and outside the box idea. We need more of that.
EarlJemmings
kipervarg wrote:
describing a module that intends to evoke the sound of a "medieval village" may result in some friendly banter.

Having said all that, I get that it's art to some and I wish you well.

But that's not what the site says it does- it has a program which simulates the growth of a medical village. It applies this data to make sound. As mentioned and explained earlier in this thread.
I get that you don't get it and are so very above it.
EarlJemmings
wellurban wrote:
albiedamned wrote:
This is probably the most pretentious module announcement I've seen. "All world electricity travels through the earth". "The simulation of a medieval village within the synth." That's some seriously grandiose but meaningless bullshit.

A quick Google suggests that this is based on models of epidemic transmission. I don't know much about that specifically, but in general things like this and predator-prey models are typically chaotic systems. This looks like it's using various such models to provide chaotic (non-repeating but not random) CV sources, pretty much what modules such as Chaos Brother, ChaQuo and Sloth Chaos do, but with simple software rather than analogue circuits.
modularrydavid
>I get that you don't get it and are so very above it.

"Getting it" means different things to different people. If you put something out into the public arena, you have to be prepared for all sorts of attention. If that something is avant-garde or anachronistic, double your preparation for criticism; if you also charging money for others to buy it, triple it.

Why is it that if people on here give critical feedback or poke fun a bit, it's "elitism" or small-mindedness or (the worst) "negativity?" Get a backbone. There's enough kindness and encouragement on this board to keep it a healthy ecosystem. Personally I find it quite boring to make everyone act like the "OR" output on a Maths.

Remember, many of the best EEs and designers out there are incredibly negative and critical people. While it doesn't always make for a happy life, for some it helps to maintain high standards and makes their designs great. Sugarcoating feedback is a disservice. If enough people think this product is bullshit, it'll either reveal to the designer it IS bullshit or strengthen his/her convictions that the designs are great. And either way, it's generating conversation about the product, which is surely preferable to being ignored.

My 2 bits of earth.
blxxp
First post on something I'm actually very interested in.

Although now that it's sold out, and the waiting list is full I'm not going to be able to order or here the thing in person.

Anyone got an idea of how this thing goes together?

@micro_research Will you be releasing the schematics so we can start building?
I'd be interested to buy those alone...
EarlJemmings
modularrydavid wrote:

"Getting it" means different things to different people. If you put something out into the public arena, you have to be prepared for all sorts of attention. If that something is avant-garde or anachronistic, double your preparation for criticism; if you also charging money for others to buy it, triple it.

Why is it that if people on here give critical feedback or poke fun a bit, it's "elitism" or small-mindedness or (the worst) "negativity?" Get a backbone. There's enough kindness and encouragement on this board to keep it a healthy ecosystem. Personally I find it quite boring to make everyone act like the "OR" output on a Maths.

Remember, many of the best EEs and designers out there are incredibly negative and critical people. While it doesn't always make for a happy life, for some it helps to maintain high standards and makes their designs great. Sugarcoating feedback is a disservice. If enough people think this product is bullshit, it'll either reveal to the designer it IS bullshit or strengthen his/her convictions that the designs are great. And either way, it's generating conversation about the product, which is surely preferable to being ignored.

My 2 bits of earth.

Sure, I get that- but if something is very clearly not targeted at you, is a very small run, and is doing well out of that run, there's no point in posting in that designers thread denying that it is a useful device while not even knowing what it does.

Anyway, I suppose I'm getting a bit over aggressive about it, it just really annoys me when people are loudly dismissive about something like this.
Maybe when we who bought get them and hear what they sound like in different patches

In any case, let's all keep patching and exploring.
gbiz
blxxp wrote:

Although now that it's sold out, and the waiting list is full I'm not going to be able to order or here the thing in person.

There's a link to their github at the bottom of their home page (linked in the OP).
blxxp
gbiz wrote:
blxxp wrote:

There's a link to their github at the bottom of their home page (linked in the OP).

I've noticed since. Thanks for the heads up though!
shreeswifty
Any Demos of this? I am interested
EarlJemmings
Just got mine in the other day

Dirt looks way more green in the picture then it actually is

Solid quality- bolted knobs, nice and long power cables, came with M3 and M2.5 screws which was nice.

ERD is definitely a distortion, sounds real nice with some resonance or other harmonically rich signal behind it. And being able to patch it out is really cool- through skin has a really unique sound, and varying pressure has a cool response. Also tried a halloween gummy, had an effect sort of like a low pass filter, opening up if the cables moved closer together in the gummy. Although it does seem to need a buffered stage after it or it attenuates like mad which is a bit odd.

SIR is, in practice, an evolving 8 bit stepped voltage generator. Interesting chaotic behaviour. It will almost be a pattern, but will always be just a bit different. CV does give it some good life.

Still playing, but I like em!
FetidEye
i would love to see the dark interpreter adapted to eurorack format!!
(or any other modular format)

possibly with weird angular panels (that fit together like a tangram to have a rectangle, eurorack is way too straight)

i really dig the sounds on those noise-ships!
windspirit
FetidEye wrote:
i would love to see the dark interpreter adapted to eurorack format!!
(or any other modular format)

possibly with weird angular panels (that fit together like a tangram to have a rectangle, eurorack is way too straight)

i really dig the sounds on those noise-ships!

It would be great if the angular panel did not line up so that it purposefully wasted space. Welcome to the future of eurorack.
micro_research
Angular panels is a wonderful idea (alas too late for the first two ERD series). BTW. There are still a last few ERD/SIR and ERD/ERD available from: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html as some of the waitlist dropped out. More news to follow soon on the next 2 releases...
windspirit
I saw some files for worm up on your github smile
EarlJemmings
micro_research wrote:
Angular panels is a wonderful idea (alas too late for the first two ERD series). BTW. There are still a last few ERD/SIR and ERD/ERD available from: http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html as some of the waitlist dropped out. More news to follow soon on the next 2 releases...

Not so soon! I only have so much money MY ASS IS BLEEDING

And I'm into this angular panel idea. A sort of patch work synth. Although maybe in pairs, so that one would only have to have 2 to not waste panel space, but still the same overall effect. One side angled, one straight? (edit: which is totally what fetideye was saying, don't mind me)
ooh, maybe reversible so one could have the module upside down to match them up hihi
shreeswifty
i am more interested in the virus module, i looked at the github has anyone else looked at it? I can try to compile it and see what shakes
windspirit
Just where protection when you do.
EarlJemmings
Was checking back on the product page and noticed something new under the ERD/ERD
Intrigued about this: A special edition will be available early 2016 with vampire/holy earth dual!

Any details on what will be different in the special edition?
albiedamned
I've stayed away from this thread for a couple months, but I can't resist commenting on this idea of angular modules which deliberately waste rack space. First off, it's a safety issue because it could expose the high voltage parts in Doepfer cases and other cases with internal power supplies. Second,

jensu
albiedamned wrote:
I've stayed away from this thread for a couple months, but I can't resist commenting on this idea of angular modules which deliberately waste rack space. First off, it's a safety issue because it could expose the high voltage parts in Doepfer cases and other cases with internal power supplies. Second,

Isn't it pretty much the norm to have gaping holes in the rows anyway.
albiedamned
You're supposed to cover holes with blank panels. Doepfer specifically says this in their documentation. Yes, many people probably don't do it. But if you were to stick your finger in there, you could get a serious shock.

Cases which use external power supplies don't have this concern.
homodyne
Why would anyone stick want to his finger in there? hmmm.....
Unless we are dealing with some kind of irresistible urge...
homodyne
Dirty plague infested eurorack...
Zymos
I was willing to give these the benefit of the doubt, seemed like a cool concept.
But you lost me with the vampire stuff....
Entrainer
homodyne wrote:
Why would anyone stick want to his finger in there? hmmm.....
Unless we are dealing with some kind of irresistible urge...

children or pets?
homodyne
The plague on them!

[EDIT] Yes I guess you have a point.
nickbaba
I just got a ERD... seemed like an interesting and kind of fun concept...

First day in my studio, I notice the perspex box containing the soil is covered in water-drops of condensation all over the front of the panel.

Tried drying it out in the sun, and in a warm area of the house, but the moisture has not evaporated.

Now, I'm no expert, but even I know that water + electricity = bad news.

There are wires sticking into that apparently wet earth. Now I don't even want to take the risk of plugging it in. Is it safe?

Anyone else had this same issue?
PolarIceCaves
It sounds sketchy!!

I'll buy/trade you for it. pm me. Guinness ftw!
homodyne
Do you have a multimeter? If so you could try measuring the input resistance and comparing it to your other modules.
madcap
Is it safe?

I'd plug it in, maybe at first by itself if I didn't hear back from the manufacturer.

I haven't had the cash to pull the trigger but I am interested in both. Could we see/hear some basic demos? The posted examples are cool but dont really tell me much about what to expect is use.

...this thread is kind of a bummer. Ive been away for a while, it shocked me mildly to see how abusive the tone of some of the comments were. I feel the need to post some sort of "Im not an asshole, please keep dreaming up modules" note to the designer.

The black panel looks rad, I hope the special addition vampire/holy addition matches. I'd honestly prefer a dual unit that I could load with my own earth, or replace the earth easily. Will there be cv control of the switch between earth samples?

Keep it up
nickbaba
I wasn't trying to diss the module - I think its cool.

Just wondered if anyone else had got condensation on their ERD? And also what are the safety aspects of racking a module with wires sticking into wet earth!
micro_research
No cause for alarm - the earth is sealed and isolated! It's worth checking the updated manual - trying to dry the module in sunlight will simply cause more condensation to appear as the earth heats up:

Do not expose the ERD/ERD to extremes of high or low temperature or to direct sunlight. Condensation may appear in the ERD window and this is no cause for concern.

Oh, and please do contact me directly if there are any questions...

ERD/γ will be the next release very soon... Work in progress (release sans rock!):

[/img]
nickbaba
OK thanks for info - all points noted.

Cheers.
EarlJemmings
Yeah, mine has condensation too. It's actually comforting to me that it's still there, means it's well sealed.

Looking forward to more details on Y
But can we talk about the panel in the background there! Looks awesome

micro_research wrote:
ERD/γ will be the next release very soon... Work in progress (release sans rock!):

[/img]
jensu
EarlJemmings wrote:
Yeah, mine has condensation too. It's actually comforting to me that it's still there, means it's well sealed.

Looking forward to more details on Y
But can we talk about the panel in the background there! Looks awesome

micro_research wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is the Y. A gamma wave (γ) radioactive source based true random module. I spot a geiger tube.
EarlJemmings
Yup, i'm just really into the construction of the panel
dakota
do these come up for sale ever? i had actually found one at cymrubeats a few weeks ago but didn't have the wherewithal at the time and it is gonezo.
micro_research
ERD/ERD and ERD/SIR are both sold out - I think cymrubeats was the only stockist apart from myself. There will be the vampire earth release next month pending earth delivery from Jerusalem.

In a few minutes I'll announce ERD/γ in another thread!
shreeswifty
i think this module would work well as a M4L device and or a AU/VST plugin.
dakota
thx. if anyone is willing to sell theirs, i would be interested.
Zymos
shreeswifty wrote:

Wouldn't that entirely defeat the point?
windspirit
Zymos wrote:
shreeswifty wrote:

Not if you put dirt in your computer.
MacSynth
windspirit wrote:
Zymos wrote:
shreeswifty wrote:

Not if you put dirt in your computer.

Maybe you can use this external dirt to control the VST?
shreeswifty
HAHAHA

Seriously though I would love to see an amxd with that code in it or compile a max object with the function that fires off the sounds.

Are these being made again?
micro_research
Or like this:

I still have some PCBs for that project (earthboot) somewhere if anyone's interested in figuring out any earth code style object!
micro_research
Equal night. Equal day.

Celebrating the re-release of ERD/ERD in new vampiric form:

There, in one of the great boxes, of which there were fifty in all, on a pile of newly dug earth, lay the Count!

The ERD/ERD vampiric edition contains mixed earth from both Golgotha, Jerusalem and Whitby Abbey, England. Whitby is the landing and stranding place of Dracula's ghost ship Demeter, delivering the fifty oblong boxes ("a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould") which find their way to the Count's chapel at Carfax. This earth is essential to Dracula, it forms "his earth-home, his coffin-home, his hell-home..."

http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

At present this is only available to waiting listers who will be notified in the next few days. Hopefully some left soon.
EXITEXIT
That's gotta be one of the best panel designs out there, fantastic. Do you anticipate being able to get one to everybody on the waiting list?
colossus
That panel is crazy. I love it.
micro_research
I would say that almost everyone on the waiting list will have a chance to get hold of one... I'll start working through it tomorrow!
EXITEXIT
Good News. Any updates on the worm coming soon? It's easily my most anticipated module right now.
PolarIceCaves
Holy Shit!!

Killed It.

EarlJemmings
Oh fuuuuuuck yesss
iceeslunk
micro_research wrote:
Equal night. Equal day.

There, in one of the great boxes, of which there were fifty in all, on a pile of newly dug earth, lay the Count!

The ERD/ERD vampiric edition contains mixed earth from both Golgotha, Jerusalem and Whitby Abbey, England. Whitby is the landing and stranding place of Dracula's ghost ship Demeter, delivering the fifty oblong boxes ("a number of great wooden boxes filled with mould") which find their way to the Count's chapel at Carfax. This earth is essential to Dracula, it forms "his earth-home, his coffin-home, his hell-home..."

At present this is only available to waiting listers who will be notified in the next few days. Hopefully some left soon.

I just saw the email, I was on the waiting list! However, while I totally love the coffin-like shape, it looks like it would leave big gaps on either side in my case...
So, as of now, I'm probably going to hold off on ordering...
Robothottdog
iceeslunk wrote:
micro_research wrote:
Equal night. Equal day.

I just saw the email, I was on the waiting list! However, while I totally love the coffin-like shape, it looks like it would leave big gaps on either side in my case...

I haven't got an email yet. Not sure if not on the actual list or if I need to be patient. I really would love to get this module.
micro_research
I'm working through the list for the first batch of 20 with the rest to follow very soon! So chances are you'll get a mail this week. And yes there are small gaps as you can see here - this was very much intentional.

[/img]
Hovercraft
iceeslunk wrote:
micro_research wrote:
Equal night. Equal day.

You could wait for the grayscale panel.
iceeslunk
True, but I do really appreciate the aesthetic, geometry withstanding...please understand that I am in no way, shape or form casting *any* aspersions, I absolutely love everything micro research has done, unparalleled creativity imo, hence me being on the list!
I just have mild ocd (I think that's what it is anyway) to where I know something like a gap in my rack would drive me crazy hihi
Just out of curiosity, will there be another run of the original erd?
micro_research
I understand! This is the last ERD/ERD edition with no re-runs of the original.

One thing that did occur to me is that it could be quite easy to swap out the coffin panel although of course I would advise heartily against this - you can see in the image there are 4 small gold bolts which hold the sub-panel/coffin assemblage of earth and electronics so you could laser-cut a new square over-panel if need be and bolt this back in.
iceeslunk
ah yes then ill definitely reconsider, seeing as how its the last run! and thanks for all of the info, if i make the jump i'm sure i could figure something out!
waveglider
I absolutely love my ERD Gamma, it is so freaking cool to have a radioactive source and geiger counter tube create random CV and triggers.
I was initially concerned myself about the unconventional panel design, but it really is such a unique, fun module and fits in just fine with my other boring old rectangular panels!
Added bonus, makes for really interesting conversation, people always zero in on it and ask what the hell it is. Martin has the best concepts for these modules, so well thought out and executed.
justintonation
Is it magic dirt? I would be interested to hear a sample of roland rahsaan kirk's cremated ashes, but apparently they were put into a joint and smoked by "beautiful people".

Anyway I did find this a delightful idea although it and the "negative" comments made me chuckle.
acgenerator
justintonation wrote:
I would be interested to hear a sample of roland rahsaan kirk's cremated ashes
If it weren't Eurorack, I'd say earth from Bob Moog's burial site or the factory grounds....

But jesting aside, an "empty container" version of this could lead to interesting possibilities both for musical experimentation with different sources or customization (from one's homeland, favorite park/forest, site of a fallen band/family member's grave, site of historical significance, etc). I'm not sure if that wholly aligns within Martin's vision for the module/series as there is a artistic/philosophical aspect to the designs beyond the audio component.

That said, I think these are open sourced so folks eager to experiment could likely do so.
southberry
sad to read that there's no plan to re-issue the original ERD / ERD
the story/concept behind the coffin panel is amazing but it's too dangerous for me (really too easy to a jack or something into the case Dead Banana ) ...
PolarIceCaves
I'm going to craft a couple small mahogany blanks to place beside it to close the gaps but still look vampire-tight
micro_research
I'm very happy with custom earth sourcings - I shipped one module today with an empty container which can be plugged back in but is obviously not as stable or hermetic as the sealed vampire earth version. That said, the mix of Golgotha and Whitby earth is pretty powerful.

For those interested you could modify the https://github.com/microresearch/ERD/blob/master/vampire-brd_panel_new 29feb.svg for squared up edges and maybe also cut this in other materials. Mahogany definitely sounds lovely.

Lastly, the first ERD/ERD shipped today. More will ship next week and pending a new delivery of Whitby earth all waitlisters will hear back mid next week.
j_p_higgins
Is there a demo of a vocal sample going through the ERD?
CometxYh1n1egyPt
Can anyone who's received one of these comment on the sound or post clips?
wertham

ERD/ERD connected with Leploop 808 Cymbal drone generator.
The result is a magmatic wall of evolving drones, with pounding bass frequencies.
mt3
wertham wrote:

ERD/ERD connected with Leploop 808 Cymbal drone generator.
The result is a magmatic wall of evolving drones, with pounding bass frequencies.

Damn yes.
337is
Per request for vocal sounds processed through ERD/ERD:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/258632861" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Patch notes:

Note: Pan hard right to hear just the unaltered audio of the source material. Pan hard left to hear the distortion of the ERD/ERD at work. Pan center to have a wild ride!

Source audio features samples (Primarily "Three Voices for Joan La Barbara" by Morton Feldman) culled from this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151868&highlight=

This is a demo of three modules created by Martin Howse. Here is the ERD/ERD used with vocals. I fed the output from the Radio Music into the ERD/ERD and ran that output to the left channel of this mix. The right channel is the unaffected audio taken directly from the Radio Music. I used ERD/Gamma and the ERD/SIR to open and close the ERD/ERD which lead to distortion when more fully open. I also used the two to modify each other, and to trigger the Radio Music's reset, station, and start CV inputs. Eventually, a low rumble of distortion is heard and that's where I've plugged into the two alternate earth returns on the ERD/ERD and manipulated the ends of the leads with my fingers to produce the various distortions. Placing my hands nearer to the earth vessel changes the intensity and character of the distortion.
j_p_higgins
337is wrote:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/258632861" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Patch notes:

Note: Pan hard right to hear just the unaltered audio of the source material. Pan hard left to hear the distortion of the ERD/ERD at work. Pan center to have a wild ride!

Source audio features samples (Primarily "Three Voices for Joan La Barbara" by Morton Feldman) culled from this thread:

This is a demo of three modules created by Martin Howse. Here is the ERD/ERD used with vocals. I fed the output from the Radio Music into the ERD/ERD and ran that output to the left channel of this mix. The right channel is the unaffected audio taken directly from the Radio Music. I used ERD/Gamma and the ERD/SIR to open and close the ERD/ERD which lead to distortion when more fully open. I also used the two to modify each other, and to trigger the Radio Music's reset, station, and start CV inputs. Eventually, a low rumble of distortion is heard and that's where I've plugged into the two alternate earth returns on the ERD/ERD and manipulated the ends of the leads with my fingers to produce the various distortions. Placing my hands nearer to the earth vessel changes the intensity and character of the distortion.

Brilliant thanks
micro_research
Just a note that the last ERD/ERD vampiric edition (and a very few ERD/γ) are now available for general release:

I'll try and ship this week but travel might upset this plan...
Infinity Curve
337is wrote:

Patch notes:

Ok, this example sold me on it. Thanks for that, sounds great!

Ordered thumbs up
Infinity Curve
What's the word on the Worm module? ETA? info?

Excited to hear more on this one
DohaK
Any chance there will be another batch of SIR?
chrisallan
Infinity Curve
DohaK wrote:
Any chance there will be another batch of SIR?

ERD/sir re-issue just went up, white edition with a Turing machine simulation included eek!

And apparently WORM is about a month away hyper

http://1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

Get it while you can, these tend to go quick, just got the email and already 5 have been sold, including the one I just bought thumbs up
colossus
thumbs up Thanks for the heads up.
Infinity Curve
Anybody interested in Martin's stuff should sign up on the site for the newsletter, so you can jump on things when he decides to release them.

Can't wait for the WORM, sounds amazing!!
EarlJemmings
Uuuugh I knew ERD would challenge my vow to stop buying eurorack.
Do I really need another ERD/SIR? But I like the idea of it having a TM program Dead Banana

Definitely looking forward to WORM though.
Infinity Curve
Yes you do. Think what this can do with another SIR and the gamma, insanity!! nanners I almost want to pick up a second gamma at some point, as well. The ERD's are the heart of my modulation and CV control, love them.

Really wish it was black though, but not the end of the world. Hopefully the WORM is also white, to help balance things

And for people not on the newsletter, a soundcloud link to a demo of the new SIR modulating a WORM prototype, sounds amazing!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/martin_howse/erdworm-pre-release-000[/s]

https://soundcloud.com/martin_howse/erdworm-pre-release-000
nimmen
In recent range of time, seems I've been moving towards NLC stuff and now got SIR reissue also, could contain a bit more in-depth/technical info thou.
Lets see what can of worms we will get soon enough
Derp
Just snagged an ERD/SIR myself. When I got the email, I thought it was an ERD/ERD reissue and jumped the gun before reading the details. ERD/SIR still looks awesome though, and I'm glad I bought it. Fingers crossed for an ERD/ERD reissue.
mmelnick
I had 2 of the original ERD/SIR and didn't dig them, sold them off. I think I was a bit hasty and I regretted it soon after. Gonna get this one and try again. The bonus stuff sounds good. Thanks It's peanut butter jelly time!
337is

Eager to have a yin for the yang already in my rack. Two SIRs?! Yes Sir!

Dead Banana
337is
nimmen wrote:
In recent range of time, seems I've been moving towards NLC stuff and now got SIR reissue also, could contain a bit more in-depth/technical info thou. Lets see what can of worms we will get soon enough

I hear you on the NLC line being a great complement to the ERD line. My Sloths seem really friendly towards the worms.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Infinity Curve
337is wrote:
nimmen wrote:
In recent range of time, seems I've been moving towards NLC stuff and now got SIR reissue also, could contain a bit more in-depth/technical info thou. Lets see what can of worms we will get soon enough

I hear you on the NLC line being a great complement to the ERD line. My Sloths seem really friendly towards the worms.

It's peanut butter jelly time!

I've been having a blast with my 2 sirs and gamma playing with an NLC squid axon, bonkers!!

Martin, release the worm already!! April has almost come and gone
Kujo
Just acquired myself an ERD/ERD . but I don't seem to be getting audio from about 25% range all the way to 70% when turning the knob in between these settings the audio dies out and comes back only below or above these values.

Any say ?
337is
Kujo wrote:
Just acquired myself an ERD/ERD . but I don't seem to be getting audio from about 25% range all the way to 70% when turning the knob in between these settings the audio dies out and comes back only below or above these values.

Any say ?

I had a similar issue with a second hand ERD/ERD I acquired. I fixed it by doing this, from the manual:

"If the ERD/ERD does not seem to be processing incoming signals well, and there is a significant increase in hum it is possible that the earth has dried out. One easy solution is to take the module out of the rack and place the earth container part (not the panel or circuit) in a shallow dish of water and wait perhaps half an hour until it has sucked up some water. Then simply dry that part and replace. This does not need to be done very often - perhaps every 6 months depending on external conditions."
Kujo
337is wrote:
Kujo wrote:

Any say ?

I had a similar issue with a second hand ERD/ERD I acquired. I fixed it by doing this, from the manual:

"If the ERD/ERD does not seem to be processing incoming signals well, and there is a significant increase in hum it is possible that the earth has dried out. One easy solution is to take the module out of the rack and place the earth container part (not the panel or circuit) in a shallow dish of water and wait perhaps half an hour until it has sucked up some water. Then simply dry that part and replace. This does not need to be done very often - perhaps every 6 months depending on external conditions."

Cool , I read that as well but wasn't too sure it would hit the spot or not.

Thanks!!
Infinity Curve
Worm is out hyper hyper hyper

dan_k
Already ordered!

Was going to message you on IG but I see you're on it smile
Infinity Curve
dan_k wrote:
Already ordered!

Hey, thanks for thinking of me!

Me too, ordered the second I saw the email from Martin, then ran here to share the news. I've been hounding him for months, so excited to get this in the rack! Will have some fun with the 3x SIR's, Y and ERD/ERD thumbs up

Looks like he is doing a small run now, with more to follow in February. As per previous modules, these will very likely sell out right away, so if you are on the fence, dont wait, ORDER NOW!
EarlJemmings
Yup, got my order of WORM in this morning, as soon as it went live (thanks twitter!)

Now, time to sell off a bunch of my eurorack, I'm getting closer to just ERD/floktek/NLC

All the rest of those coming up sound real cool too!

Quote:
Future modules planned for 2018 include: ERD/RAVEN vocal filters and vocoder, All the Colours of the Noise, and ERD/[z] worm advanced CV generation.
dan_k
After eyeing them for a while, I've started to take the NLC plunge too with a Squid Axon on the way.

Seems like such a great pairing.
williamjturkel
Just ordered the worm, too. Seems a lot of them are headed to Canada.
337is
williamjturkel wrote:
Seems a lot of them are headed to Canada.

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-million-year-gigantic-extinct-monster.ht ml

williamjturkel
Love this detail about giant prehistoric worm: "The species has been named Websteroprion armstrongi. This honours Armstrong, who collected the material, and bass player extraordinaire, Alex Webster of Death Metal band Cannibal Corpse, since he can be regarded as a 'giant' when it comes to handling his instrument."
mmelnick
damn, I want one but the price seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
acgenerator
Infinity Curve wrote:
dan_k wrote:
Already ordered!

Hey, thanks for thinking of me!

Me too, ordered the second I saw the email from Martin, then ran here to share the news. I've been hounding him for months, so excited to get this in the rack! Will have some fun with the 3x SIR's, Y and ERD/ERD thumbs up

Looks like he is doing a small run now, with more to follow in February. As per previous modules, these will very likely sell out right away, so if you are on the fence, dont wait, ORDER NOW!

I was also bugging a lot. I was able to get in on the 1st batch which is now SOLD OUT.
williamjturkel
While waiting for the ERD/WORM to arrive I've been reading the manual. Dividing the faceplate into left, middle and right columns and reading from top to bottom, I am guessing the controls are

Left:
X knob
Mode knob
X CV
Mode CV

Middle:
Y knob
Y CV
Trigger CV
Audio output

Right:
Z knob
Speed knob
Z CV
Speed CV

Is that right?
wvrm
Love my ERD/SIR and would jump at the chance to get an ERD/ERD or ERD/y. The WORM is definitely a cool module too, but not something that would fit to my musical goals at the moment.
micro_research
Just to clarify the modes here's the image from the manual below. All CVs are a mirror image of the knob settings...

williamjturkel
Thanks! I wondered if I had the "as above, so below" part right, but I see I also had the Mode controls in the wrong place. Really looking forward to getting this module!
williamjturkel
I’ve had a few days to play with ERD/WORM and am really blown away by the wonderful glitchy, looping textures that are so easy to generate with minimal CV.
williamjturkel
Here’s something fun you can do with the ERD/WORM: pull ‘subliminal messages’ out of it with ring modulation. I set the Speed and X knobs to 12 o’clock, Mode to between 12 and 1, Z to around 11, and Y between 10 and 11. Now it is saying ‘miracle’ repeatedly. Patch the output into signal in of, say, Moddemix (another ring modulator should work). Using Piston Honda Mk2 as the carrier wave, set waveform to 000 and frequency around noon. Sweeping frequency up, it keeps saying ‘miracle’. Put frequency back around noon and switch to wave table 231. Sweep freq up slowly and at some point around 2 or 3 o’clock it suddenly starts saying ‘bad worm’. Indeed!
Infinity Curve
Im dying to try mine out, just waiting on a new skiff to house all of my erd's

Interested to see what else Martin has in the pipeline
williamjturkel
The 2018 description on the website is tantalizing: “ERD/RAVEN vocal filters and vocoder, All the Colours of the Noise, and ERD/[z] worm advanced CV generation”. I’m having so much fun with the worm I may have to try them all
wvrm
Excited to have snatched a ERD/ERD Raven edition. I've been eyeing one of these for a while now and immediately jumped on the chance to get one.
mondoking
When did the ERD/ERD Raven edition get released? I got an Email at 4:00am This morning but they sold out by the time I checked. I have a serious hankering for one of these. If anyone is looking to resell theirs I would love the opportunity. wvrm, When did you get yours?
wvrm
mondoking wrote:
When did the ERD/ERD Raven edition get released? I got an Email at 4:00am This morning but they sold out by the time I checked. I have a serious hankering for one of these. If anyone is looking to resell theirs I would love the opportunity. wvrm, When did you get yours?

The Raven edition was released back in May this year which is when I got mine.
micro_research
Sorry to say I have no idea how that email flaunted itself on the list.

All Ravens have sadly long since flown in May. The production was strictly limited to 10 and there are no plans for a re-issue...

More ERD/WORM speech modules should be out soon however and All the Colours of the Noise is making slow if steady progress.
timdrage
"All the Colours of the Noise" sounds right up my street smile
PolarIceCaves
What’s the Raven then? Post some pics

Oops I see it now. Just an alternate version of your dirtstortion
garret
where do i pay for this? there is no option to order one.please save me one
pr0t0
just got mine
smile
cant wait to try it
micro_research
The last and final ERD/WORMs (post-human speech synthesis engine) have been released here; http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

There will be no re-issues of these modules.

Details on upcoming All the Colours of the Noise and a limited ERD/breath will follow shortly!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 8