MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Programmable Modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Programmable Modules
maaaks
I'm new to eurorack stuff and I've been wondering if there is there an existing platform to allow people to program modules?

I've seen Rebel Tech's OWL, which is kind of what I mean, but I would imagine an even more generic platform would be possible. Perhaps arduino based?
I'm thinking more along the line of CV / logic processing (which I guess should be simpler than doing audio stuff)

I'm a programmer by trade, and have a few ideas for modules that could be interesting, plus a few things I've made in supercollider which would be nice to use in eurorack world.

But have absolutely no idea where to start when it comes to actual real world hardware lol
thorncore
Snazzy FX/20 Objects 'Ardcore' is a reasonably well established Arduino based module,it also has an expander module.

http://20objects.com/ardcore/ DIY any format

http://snazzyfx.com/products/ardcore/ Eurorack

existing sketch library and discussion on Muffs

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106377

thumbs up
maaaks
That is exactly what I'm after

Ta!
L.C.O.
maaaks wrote:
I'm new to eurorack stuff and I've been wondering if there is there an existing platform to allow people to program modules?

I've seen Rebel Tech's OWL, which is kind of what I mean, but I would imagine an even more generic platform would be possible. Perhaps arduino based?
I'm thinking more along the line of CV / logic processing (which I guess should be simpler than doing audio stuff)

I'm a programmer by trade, and have a few ideas for modules that could be interesting, plus a few things I've made in supercollider which would be nice to use in eurorack world.

But have absolutely no idea where to start when it comes to actual real world hardware lol

You might be interested in the monome line.
Teletype ( http://monome.org/docs/modular/teletype/ )uses it's own ultra minimal programming language, but all the monome modules are open source and people are developing their own firmware for them as well.

http://monome.org/modular/
Summa
Check out ADDAC Voltage Controlled Computer if you really want something deep to dig into! Lots of hardware expansions too!
nostalghia
Good article here including short interviews with Eurorack manufacturers that use open source firmware in their products:

Open Modules for Open Minds

And as an example, here's the page on the Mutable Instruments site with details on open source code/hacking for their popular Braids module:

Braids-Open source | Mutable Instruments
maaaks
Hey thanks everyone for you suggestions - plenty to read up on.

LCO - I'd seen the monome before but didn't really see how open it was. The scripting language for teletype looks like it might make me want to self-harm.

Pretty though!

Summa - the ADDAC001 looks like its perfect - not cheap though. I might keep my eye out for a second hand one

nostalghia - that looks great - I might have a poke at the braids code as I was thinking of getting one.

I guess I need to flex my rusty C skilllz
ersatzplanet
There is also the QuBit Nebulae which can run Pure Data and CSound programs directly (just load them on the USB stick).
shreeswifty
I hav enot heard of anyone successfully running pure data on it though.
wednesdayayay
Well that sucks about PD
I'll have to find that thread but I wonder if they were using vanilla PD as it seems like you would have to (instead of extended)

It isn't euro rack but my favorite little reprogrammable hand held rechargable synth is the shnth by shbobo. Some people have a bit of trouble with fish which is the environment you are meant to program the synth in.
L.C.O.
maaaks wrote:
Hey thanks everyone for you suggestions - plenty to read up on.

LCO - I'd seen the monome before but didn't really see how open it was. The scripting language for teletype looks like it might make me want to self-harm.

Pretty though!

ha ha ha!
well, it's hardly a "language".
i find it so simple that there is hardly anything there to learn.
But as always YMMV
:-)
C14ru5
The nw2s::b is an Arduino-based programmable module:
http://nw2s.net/product/nw2s-b/
toneburst
Deleted by author (didn't read the first post properly).
Apologies.

a|x
C14ru5
I'm sure the original poster hasn't forgotten the OWL, as that was the example he referred to when he started this thread wink
mqtthiqs
For that matter, all Mutable Instruments modules are open-source, and you can read and modify the C source code of the digital ones as you please (well technically it's C++). I did this, and I can attest that it was great fun working on this platform: the available source code and libraries make for a great starting point. It's actually not that difficult once you get your hands into the code.

If you need advices and walk through the code, I can probably help.
toneburst
I know. Edited my post to reflect my stupidity wink

a|x
mxmxmx
as for supercollider, unless you can DIY, nebulae probably is your best bet.

i'm not using SC myself but as far as we know (the internet says) it runs on raspberries, so it should run on nebulae, ditto obviously for puredata; better sound quality requires getting your hands dirty, i suppose.

fwiw, here is a somewhat outdated SC adaptation for terminal tedium (with apologies for the plug) -- things have changed quite a bit since, both on the i2s driver end (comes with jack support now, apparently, so less messing about i suppose) and in terms of hardware (ie pi 2).

as for "generic modules", if you can code, my advice would be to just read up a little on how to make a digital module and then make one that suits your needs and ideas; up to a point, digital hardware is indeed very generic and not particularly difficult to understand.
spacedog
http://www.neutron-sound.com/noa.html

Arduino / Teensy 3.1 cool

Guinness ftw!
discohead

https://blog.bela.io/2018/05/02/salt-a-programmable-eurorack-syntesize r/

Salt:

Dimensions
Width: 12HP / 61mm
Height: 3U / 129mm
Depth: 43mm
I/O (1/8” jacks):
2 audio in (AC-coupled)
2 audio out (DC-coupled)
4x CV in (with pots offset)
4x CV out
2x trigger in
2x trigger out
USB Device port
Controls:
4x pots (offset for CV in)
2x button with integrated bi-color LED
Power:
+12V: 250mA
-12V: 50mA
Salt+:

Width: 10HP
Dimensions
Width: 10HP / 51mm
Height: 3U / 129mm
Depth: 15mm
I/O (1/8” jacks):
4xCV in
4xCV out
2x trigger in
2x trigger out
USB host port
Controls:
4x pots (offset for CV in)
Power:
+12V: 40mA
-12V: 40mA

Salt is the main unit, at the back of which is plugged a Beaglebone Green with a Bela cape. A 20-pin ribbon cable is used to connect Salt+ to Salt, providing power and signals. Only Salt is connected to the Eurorack power supply. Salt+ requires Salt in order to work.

Voltage ranges:

The trigger in and outs are 0V to +5V. The CV inputs have a 10V pk-to-pk range, and the offset potentiometer allows to shift the usable input range down to -10V to 0V or up to 0V to 10V. The CV and audio outputs have a -5V to +5V range.

Sampling frequency:

The audio and trigger channels are sampled at 44.1kHz, while the CV channels are sampled at 22.05kHz when all 8 are in use, or 44.1kHz when only 4 are used.
Shledge
I have a patchblocks eurorack module - arguably the easiest of the bunch, and it has served be well so far. It doesn't give you a lot of minute control though that like lower level programming can provide.
discohead

What is DU-INO?

In a nutshell? It's whatever you want it to be, in 14 HP.

If you're feeling verbose, call DU-INO a compact programmable digital-analog function platform. With 14 total configurable I/O, using precision ADC and DAC circuits and an analog computer, a vast array of functions are possible. A graphical OLED display and various tactile inputs offer a rich user interface.

It’s essentially the ultimate Eurorack Arduino shield. Supplying your own Arduino (or other shield-compatible microcontroller board), you can select from our growing library of functions, or use our full-featured open source Arduino library to write your own!

Hardware features include:

A 128 x 64 OLED display with fast SPI communication.
An encoder with continuous rotation, click, double-click, and hold actions.
Two pushbuttons connected to GT3 and GT4 input norms.
Four gate/trigger jacks (GT1-4) connected to individual Arduino digital pins, configurable as outputs or buffered inputs, including two (GT3 & GT4) connected to the hardware interrupt pins.
Four protected full-range CV inputs (CVI1-4) scaled and connected to 12-bit ADC hardware (with precision external voltage reference) in the Arduino, normed to the associated potentiometers.
Four buffered full-range CV outputs (CVO1-4) generated from 12-bit DACs and precisely calibrated via 25-turn potentiometers.
Four-quadrant analog multiplier (AD633) with each quadrant input configurable to the corresponding CV input or output, plus an offset input, for a huge variety of analog possibilities.
Hardware I2C breakout for communication between DU-INOs or with expansion modules.
A programming switch allowing the Arduino to be programmed in-circuit.
Stiff 20mm header pins in the standard Arduino shield form factor.
Protected 10-pin Eurorack power input (approx. 140mA/30mA draw on +/-12VDC rails).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ezod/du-ino-the-ultimate-eurorack -arduino-shield#
chysn
Thanks for posting. I'm always happy to see these things come along, and this one has some nice features, and the price in U.S.D. is reasonable enough.

It's hard to say whether this type of module can ever be wildly successful. As I've said of my Ornament and Crime project, the interest in module programming is nested in several recursive layers of "niche." My view is that the specs of a module are important, but not as important as bringing pretty much the entire universe of would-be module programmers into a community built on the foundation of free and friendly information exchange.

For example, I thought SALT was promising, if a bit spendy, and then it turned out to be a limited run of like thirty modules*. You can't build a wide community out of unobtainium.

In short, I'd say that fostering a developer community might be the most important thing to do.

I have been wanting to pick one up for some time. Seems like all kinds of fun.
Sunden
Adding the Monome Norns to this - not exactly Eurorack, but there is a Eurorack expander for it on the way (Crow) and it can be interfaced with other Monome eurorack gear.

http://monome.org/norns/

It runs supercollider synth engines that can be as complex as your SC brain can handle, and allows you (or other uses) to write interfaces to those engines via lua. There's tons of active community development going on for both engines and scripts to those engines - its amazing seeing how people create such different results with the same engine but different interfaces!

Everything is entirely open source - tons of discussion over at lines.
Paranormal Patroler
discohead wrote:

It’s essentially the ultimate Eurorack Arduino shield.

That's why it doesn't have a MIDI In/Out. Meh. Huge oversight in my opinion.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2