MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tyme Safari MKI - still good?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Tyme Safari MKI - still good?
CentaurMusic
Been planning to add one of these to my setup for a while, and always thought the obvious thing was to get the MKii. Seen some of the MKI versions at really good prices recently. I was wandering if there were any users who have had both versions that liked or preferred the original version with or without expansion.
VanEck
I own/owned both on and off. Originally, after a couple years of love and abuse, I sold my mkI for a mkII. A little while later I decided that the mkII was too different and too complicated for how I liked to use my TS and sold it, bought back a mkI. And now here we are in late 2015 and I am back with a mkII.

Both are awesome but pretty different. So much so, that I would say it really depends on the type of sounds you want to create to determine which one is for you... or buy both!

Definitely get the SoT expansion no matter what version you get. It really opens up a lot of possibilities for each. SoT for the mkI is like a circuit bending panel and can help create some really interesting distortions and sounds. The SoT for the mkII allows you to process strereo, change the sampling quality/buffer length, and also has a couple CV'able bends.

The mkI has a very grungy lowfi noisy sound to it, and really shines as a FSU sound processor / delay / distortion / looper module. It's really useful in noise / feedback patches where a noise floor or unexpected results will not be a "problem" but help add sonic flavor. It can also be used to record CV. It responds to bipolar CV modulations.

The mkII has a much cleaner and reliable hifi sound, can do stereo and longer loop times, and even store sounds. Even if you use the expander to "downsample" into 12 or 8 bit resolution, it still will not sound as gnarly as the mkI can. Each has their own sound and character. It functions better overall as a looper / sampler / sound chopper. With tight loop setting and proper CV modulations, you can get into some granular style processing. The mkII can not process CV and only responds to unipolar modulations.
robotopsy
I , too have both TS version and both with the ASOT and the MKII is far less noisy than the first version, but you can get the harsh sound with the expander.
Most of the harvestman previous version operates with negative and positive signals. So if you use a lot of LFOs to control some parameters, you'll find out they react differently. applause
the MKII version have attenuverters on most inputs, but you'll get a flat spot when using bipolar signals. Dead Banana
CentaurMusic
Thanks for the advice guys.

So basically I need both. w00t!!

Well actually I say that, as I have a malgorithm and bionic lester to add grunge to the samples the MKII might be a good way to go. Although I like the idea of having a CV looper.....

So yeah I need both.....
robotopsy
the TS MKII is still available but the first Tyme Sefari is getting rare seriously, i just don't get it
suboptimal
I have both. They are clearly related, but they behave differently and sound different. I love the original's bad attitude.

The mk1 is generally a little harder to tame on power-up, in that it'll give you a super loud noise until you've recorded something into its buffer. That drove some people away from the unit back in the day. It's a small issue once you learn to work around it. Other than that, it does really cool stuff to loops and can be used in a lot of creative applications.

If I had to reduce my system to 6U I'd keep the mk1 and sell the mk2.
lionelfischer
the mk1 is so awesome
Spartacus
I love my mkii
Baddcr
I just received a mk][

I am blown away, yes, it can do clean, but a little bit of wiggling and theres 's much noise and grit, can't imagine how the mk1 is even dirtier, actually, I don't think I care, with the feedback loop and a Malgorithm I have more than enough!

Endless looping and layering using the feedback is ridiculous!!

Sequencing the Sampling Frequency is full of joy...

OK. I'll shut up - but why the fuck is this not in the top modules of all time?

Massively underrated!!!
suboptimal
suboptimal wrote:
If I had to reduce my system to 6U I'd keep the mk1 and sell the mk2.

A year and a half later, the mk2 is out of my system and the mk1 is carrying on.
mt3
Sound of Thunder waveshaped and ringmodulated with Lightning.
Infinity Curve
Ya, I prefer the mk1 as well, has a certain character I really like, and oh so gritty. Sadly mine is acting up lately. If you have it playing, while rcording or otherwise, and you touch the sample rate knob, it goes crazy, very strange.
Baddcr
I feel like you're all ganging up on me to extend my GAS to the MK1 modules hehehe:D

Maybe I'll 'upgrade' one day wink
Baddcr
Er-301 meets Tyme Sefari

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/tymehoppre[/s]

This is totally gritty enough for me heheh
mt3
Baddcr wrote:
Er-301 meets Tyme Sefari

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/tymehoppre[/s]

This is totally gritty enough for me heheh

Next level wizardry.
Baddcr
Hehe thanks mt3!!

Honestly this was pretty much the first thing I did with it!!

Drums coming from an ER-301 driven by Octatrack, a sample from the Radio Music (I know I know, I have an ER-301 but these little modules still have something about them I really like) and that's pretty much it as far as sound sources go.

The rest is modulation from various sources, I think the trick here was balancing the mix of the original signal and the feedback from the TSmk][ and also the Erica Synths Polivoks VCF.

Oh the kick is the Mutant Bass Drum and it's not processed at all, just direct, although it does drive the side chain on an RNLA which the entirety of the rest of the mix is going through.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1